Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

2 hours ago, Renai said:

People in the Ukraine attacked a bus convoy carrying Wuhan evacuees. 😞 https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/21/europe/ukraine-wuhan-bus-coronavirus-intl/index.html

"(CNN)Protesters attacked a convoy of buses carrying Ukrainian citizens and other nationals evacuated from the Chinese city of Wuhan, injuring nine police officers and one civilian Thursday.

As global fears and misconceptions spread about the coronavirus outbreak that originated in the city, protesters blocked roads in the Ukrainian town of Noviy Sanzhari, where 72 evacuees are to be monitored for two weeks at a medical center. Ukraine has no diagnosed cases of the novel coronavirus."

Interestingly, more than half are Ukranian, but most of the others aboard are South American. So far there are no confirmed cases (that we know about) from South America.

I saw the video on Reuters.  Apparently they held a burning tyre up to the window.  In one picture you can see a window with a massive melted hole in it.  Kind of serious lack of logic there if you are worried about catching coronavirus!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/nurses-concerned-over-growing-number-of-coronavirus-patients/2238162/

A national survey of 3,000 nurses shows less than half say their employer has given them enough information on how to respond.

Only 13% say there is a plan in place to isolate patients and just 31% say employer has sufficient protective equipment on hand."

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’d like a little more detail, but I suppose we get what we get!

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/21/world/asia/21reuters-chinae-health-who.html?searchResultPosition=5

"If we do well, we can avert any serious crisis, but if we squander the opportunity then we will have a serious problem on our hands”

ETA: That’s the WHO director-general.

WHO had said much earlier about the window of opportunity and it basically means that countries that could afford it should have plans in place like designated quarantine areas, designated hospitals, even designated airports. Also for the respective governments  to up their medical stockpile of protective equipment.

For example Korea which has a spike in cases in a church due to a super spreader. If there were plans in place and equipment readied, there would be less chaos and more clarity in what procedure to follow.

• Like 1

There are now 16 cases in Italy.  I think 15 in Lombardy and then there are also 2 who tested positive on a first test but waiting for confirmation in Venice.

5 are health workers and 3 are patients from the hospital where the first infections were hospitalised.  Concerning that it seems to be transmitted through the hospital in spite of the strict quarantine etc.  The other cases are linked to a bar where the bartender and family became ill.

looks like there is talk of closing schools and business in some areas.

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/02/21/news/coronavirus_casi_veneto-249192220/

Italian language source

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Concerning that it seems to be transmitted through the hospital in spite of the strict quarantine etc.  The other cases are linked to a bar where the bartender and family became ill.

It is very, very hard to do sufficiently strict quarantine with a disease that spreads as easily as this one.   

• Like 1

The Spokane, WA, USA hospital, one of 10 publically announced hospitals designed to deal with virulent disease like this one only has 10 beds.

Contemplate that. Ten freaking beds.

I get that that degree of isolation protocol is expensive to set up, but my mind has been blown about that all day. 

In San Antonio, they have been sending sick patients out into local hospitals instead of keeping them on base. The military has a hospital there for goodness sakes. (I have friends who work there.)  

Honestly, I am a bit frustrated today. It’s been validating that some of the things I was worried about weeks ago are finally being talked about in the media. But I see no real signs of preparation locally.

As my Dh put it, “Honey, it’s just going to be a rough two years. We are all going to get this.”

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0221-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.mp3

link to CDC briefing if anyone’s interested 
I don’t have time to listen this morning.

Basically from what I read seemed to be warning that we will eventually have community spread in US, but saying we don’t yet...    but since they aren’t testing for it yet, who knows.  Maybe the sickness now is all “flu” and  other viruses— and maybe some is the Covid-19.  I’d like to know that there have been some spot checks and it isn’t, but with defective test kits, USA is in Bad  straits regarding testing. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pen said:

It is very, very hard to do sufficiently strict quarantine with a disease that spreads as easily as this one.   

12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

5 are health workers and 3 are patients from the hospital where the first infections were hospitalised.  Concerning that it seems to be transmitted through the hospital in spite of the strict quarantine etc.  

Medical staff training and experience with coronavirus is another issue. Singapore cases are low this time round compared to SARS outbreak so they have more than enough staff who has handled SARS patients to handle the current caseload. If Singapore experience a surge in cases, their medical stockpile would be depleted. 

From SCMP https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3051177/singapore-hospitals-would-suffer-if-leaders-wore-masks-hong

“In the recording, Chan said the issue of mask usage had put the Singapore government in a bind. In conserving stocks to ensure there were enough masks for health care workers, it had to battle the perception that the government did not care about Singaporeans, Chan said, using colloquialisms and local slang reminiscent of his maiden speeches when he first joined politics in 2011.

“Today, you [read the] newspaper. What is happening to Hong Kong? What did South China Morning Post just report about Hong Kong? They are down to less than one month’s supply of masks for their medical people,” he said.

If Singapore had followed in Hong Kong’s footsteps “without thinking”, with its leaders wearing masks to give updates on the virus outbreak and causing panic, “I can guarantee you, today our hospital system would have broken down”.

“There will be no more surgical masks for our hospital people because [these would have been] all used up like tissue paper.””

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Honestly, I am a bit frustrated today. It’s been validating that some of the things I was worried about weeks ago are finally being talked about in the media. But I see no real signs of preparation locally.

Ditto.

I’m trying to shake this sinking feeling that we’re going to have half of all people oblivious and half panicking, and neither of those things is good, lol. (Well, chuckle nervously out loud.) Though I’m not sure how 50% can remain oblivious while 50% are panicking..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Ditto.

I’m trying to shake this sinking feeling that we’re going to have half of all people oblivious and half panicking, and neither of those things is good, lol. (Well, chuckle nervously out loud.) Though I’m not sure how 50% can remain oblivious while 50% are panicking..

They make each other worse. The people who panic feel more panicky due to the obliviousness they see.  Then people who see panic think everything is overreaction and act all the more la la la ignore it, even if not literally oblivious.  

• Like 3

From SacBee https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article240516951.html

“Sacramento County reported its first case of novel coronavirus in a traveler who had gone to China, bringing the number of cases in the United States to 17. Rural Humboldt County reported on Thursday that it also had a case.

The Sacramento County traveler returned to the United States from China on Feb. 2, Sacramento County officials said, and after experiencing mild symptoms, the person consulted their physician and coordinated a test through Sacramento County Public Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Public health officials said the individual, who is now asymptomatic, took precautionary measures during travel and has self-quarantined since returning. The county health department continues to monitor the individual.”

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The Spokane, WA, USA hospital, one of 10 publically announced hospitals designed to deal with virulent disease like this one only has 10 beds.

That’s part of why I figure I’ll be dealing with this from home.  

38 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I get that that degree of isolation protocol is expensive to set up, but my mind has been blown about that all day. 

In San Antonio, they have been sending sick patients out into local hospitals instead of keeping them on base. The military has a hospital there for goodness sakes. (I have friends who work there.)  

As my Dh put it, “Honey, it’s just going to be a rough two years. We are all going to get this.”

We really can’t have our military getting knocked out by this.  That won’t help. 

It isn’t just expense that’s a problem in isolation protocol, it’s also that error is very very easy. 

Your husband is likely to be correct. 

On the bright side, Keep in mind that, unless it mutates further, many cases are mild. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

They make each other worse. The people who panic feel more panicky due to the obliviousness they see.  Then people who see panic think everything is overreaction and act all the more la la la ignore it, even if not literally oblivious.  

Which is why it’s so important that public health officials like WHO reps etc get the communication right.  Don’t reassure or dumb down the message too much but do be open about what’s going on and what measures are being taken to deal with it.  I personally don’t feel this is being done that well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, beaners said:

Have there been any reports from inside of Wuhan in the last week? It seems like information coming out has really clamped down.

Health Commission of Hubei Province (chinese) http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/tzgg/202002/t20200220_2141275.shtml

Google translate

“As of 24:00 on February 19, 2020, Hubei Province has reported a total of 62,013 new crown pneumonia cases, including: 45027 in Wuhan, 3329 in Xiaogan, 2839 in Huanggang, 1510 in Jingzhou, 1338 in Ezhou, and 1283 in Suizhou. Cases, 1167 cases in Xiangyang City, 967 cases in Huangshi City, 891 cases in Yichang City, 794 cases in Jingmen City, 766 cases in Xianning City, 641 cases in Shiyan City, 567 cases in Xiantao City, 473 cases in Tianmen City, 244 cases in Enshi Prefecture, Qianjiang City There were 185 cases and 10 cases in Shennongjia forest area.

A total of 10,337 cases were discharged from the hospital. The province has accumulated 2,029 deaths, including: 1585 cases in Wuhan, 89 cases in Xiaogan City, 87 cases in Huanggang City, 40 cases in Jingzhou City, 38 cases in Ezhou City, 34 cases in Jingmen City, 27 cases in Suizhou City, 27 cases in Yichang City, There were 26 cases in Huangshi City, 23 cases in Xiangyang City, 19 cases in Xiantao City, 12 cases in Tianmen City, 10 cases in Xianning City, 7 cases in Qianjiang City, 3 cases in Enshi Prefecture, and 2 cases in Shiyan City.

At present, 43,745 cases are still being treated in the hospital, of which 9128 cases are critically ill and 2050 cases are critically ill. They are all under isolation treatment at designated medical institutions. There were 3456 suspected cases, 880 were newly added on that day, 872 were excluded on that day, and 3334 were concentrated and isolated. A total of 214,093 close contacts were tracked, and 65,525 people are still undergoing medical observation.”

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, beaners said:

Have there been any reports from inside of Wuhan in the last week? It seems like information coming out has really clamped down.

Do you mean other than official reports such as on prisoners in several prisons having it?

Not much.

African students stuck in lockdown in Wuhan are telling their parents by wechat that they have only one minimal meal per day, and are almost out of food. 

That’s the only unofficial news I have heard of recently.

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Do you mean other than official reports such as on prisoners in several prisons having it?

Not much.

African students stuck in lockdown in Wuhan are telling their parents by wechat that they have only one minimal meal per day, and are almost out of food. 

That’s the only unofficial news I have heard of recently.

Yes I have seen similar on twitter but haven’t reported because I couldn’t verify.  One lady had a Chinese cabbage to last three days.  I feel like it’s almost inevitable 

• Like 1

Hubei is late releasing case numbers today.  

Italy and Iran situations look bad.

I expect quite a few places, USA included, are worse than they seem either due to suppressed information (N Korea), or lack of (functional) testing kits (USA, South America, Africa...) 

• Like 1

Oldest dd is supposed to be going to Italy to study abroad this summer with her university. I really hope the warm weather helps clear this up!!

ETA I also wonder IF the warmer weather will make a lot of difference... Isn't it already hot in Singapore?

Edited by Aura

3 minutes ago, Aura said:

Oldest dd is supposed to be going to Italy to study abroad this summer with her university. I really hope the warm weather helps clear this up!!

ETA I also wonder IF the warmer weather will make a lot of difference... Isn't it already hot in Singapore?

I think at this point the cases are linked to Two clusters (the original case and the friends returned from China) so if they quarantine and isolate and manage it effectively it could still be stopped.

• Like 1

Two trains in Italy have been stopped due to suspected cases.  At least one of the cases tested negative but the cases and all passengers from the same carriages are being asked to quarantine for 14 days.  I think!  Non English language source.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aura said:

Oldest dd is supposed to be going to Italy to study abroad this summer with her university.

If she had trip insurance paid for *before* this outbreak, she might be covered. If she doesn't yet have trip insurance, good luck. The insurance I'm looking at for cruising is putting lots of caveats at this point, saying don't plan on them covering it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If she had trip insurance paid for *before* this outbreak, she might be covered. If she doesn't yet have trip insurance, good luck. The insurance I'm looking at for cruising is putting lots of caveats at this point, saying don't plan on them covering it.

We've paid for some fee for the study abroad class, but I think that's it so far. She's responsible for her own airfare, but we haven't gotten the tickets yet. I think everything else is through the university, though. We (students & parents) have a meeting tomorrow, so it will interesting. If no one else brings it up, I will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aura said:

We've paid for some fee for the study abroad class, but I think that's it so far. She's responsible for her own airfare, but we haven't gotten the tickets yet. I think everything else is through the university, though. We (students & parents) have a meeting tomorrow, so it will interesting. If no one else brings it up, I will.

The tricky thing will be if it’s at a level where you aren’t comfortable for her to go but they haven’t cancelled stuff.  A lot of unis here are providing online classes as up to 25pc Of students are From China.  I realise that a big part of international study is cultural immersion though.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Aura said:

Which part of Italy?  

Right now a lot in the North seems semi suspended

4 minutes ago, Aura said:

Rome

Ah.

I think Singapore is always warm.  Maybe there would have been an even worse problem if it weren’t, but I suspect that the transmissions of illness were in indoor, modern climate controlled places, by and large. 

59 minutes ago, Aura said:

It will be interesting to know what they say.

I would guess there are schools with students currently on programs abroad in Italy wondering what to do about students already there.  Wondering if it will pass by or if airlifts Out will be needed. 

1 hour ago, Aura said:

19 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think Singapore is always warm.  Maybe there would have been an even worse problem if it weren’t, but I suspect that the transmissions of illness were in indoor, modern climate controlled places, by and large. 

It is hot year round being north of the equator. However, most places and all public transport are air-conditioned which makes spreading easy if there is a super spreader like the Grace Assembly of God cases or the conference like Grand Hyatt Hotel situation.

• Like 2

Regarding hot weather https://www.newscientist.com/article/2233249-will-the-covid-19-coronavirus-outbreak-die-out-in-the-summers-heat/

““We absolutely don’t know that,” says Trudie Lang at the University of Oxford. “I keep asking virologist colleagues this and nobody knows.”

“So when you hear people say the weather will warm up and it will just disappear, it’s a very unhelpful generalisation,” she says.

It is thought the virus can survive for up to four days on surfaces. Some researchers, including Paul Hunter at the University of East Anglia, UK, do think the new coronavirus won’t survive for so long in warmer conditions.

“One extreme scenario is that it will burn itself out sometime in the summer,” says Hunter. “The other extreme scenario is that it will reduce in the summer but it will come back again in the winter and become what we call endemic, in that it will spread pretty much everywhere.”

However, if it is less infectious in warmer conditions, there is a greater chance of it spreading in the southern hemisphere as conditions there cool.

David Heymann at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who led the global response to the SARS outbreak in 2003, points out that the MERS coronavirushas spread in Saudi Arabia in August, when it is very hot. “These viruses can certainly spread during high temperature seasons,” he says.

It is thought one reason why flu spreads less readily in summer is that people spend less time together in confined spaces. In particular, it could be linked to school closures, says John Edmunds, also at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

However, children tend to spread flu because they have less immunity to flu strains than adults, who have been exposed to many strains. This isn’t the case for the new coronavirus – fewer cases have been reported in young people, though this may be just because they are less likely to become seriously ill.”

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Condogno seems to be the hardest hit

schools, shops and offices closed, 40 footballs games cancelled, around 50,000 people asked to stay home aside from essential activities. 

https://milano.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/02/21/news/coronavirus_codogno_castiglione_d_adda_contagiati_misure_sicurezza-249154447/

I expect this is going to make tomorrow’s Dr. John video extremely interesting.

The status of the traveler from China who seems to have been another asymptomatic index case leading to superspread makes me wonder what about him kept him from (apparently) being severely ill, while his friend ended up in icu. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

From CDC: 

• Currently, hospitalized patients with COVID-19 should be cared for in an Airborne Infection Isolation Room (AIIR) using Standard, Contact, and Airborne Precautions with eye protection.
  • If an AIIR is not immediately available, consideration should be given to transferring the patient to a facility that has an available AIIR. If transfer is impractical or not medically appropriate, the patient should be cared for in a single-person room and the door should be kept closed.  The room should ideally not have exhaust that is recirculated within the building without high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filtration.  Healthcare personnel should still use gloves, a gown, respiratory and eye protection and follow all other recommended infection prevention and control practices when caring for these patients.
  • If there are not enough AIIRs to care for patients with COVID-19, existing AIIRs should be prioritized for the care of patients who are symptomatic with severe illness (e.g., those requiring ventilator support).

Up to 6 cases related to cruise ship here now.  All symptomatic.  All being transferred to their home states for medical treatment.

apparently Australia is going to allow some year 11 and 12 students in from mainland China.  I’m confused because I thought citizens were already allowed to return and I would have assumed to be a high school student you would be a resident or citizen but maybe not

https://7news.com.au/politics/coronavirus-update-australias-travel-ban-lifted-for-year-11-and-12-students-c-710967

Our son is also going to Italy on a study abroad trip for a week in early May. We have already paid for all of it, and it’s all through the school, including airfare. They are going to Florence and Milan. I plan on calling the study abroad office on Monday, but they probably won’t have any answers yet.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 1

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-22/coronvirus-ban-lifted-students-travel-china-to-australia/11991292?pfmredir=sm

Mr Hunt said medical authorities believed the virus was contained in Australia and slowing globally.

Mr Hunt is the health minister.  I’m not sure what he means he slowing globally.  Maybe the statement was issued before Iran and South Korea outbreaks.

i suspect more likely they are at a time when students need to return or fees need to be refunded and the cost hit is too high. Still if they handle it carefully and quarantine properly for 14 days it may be ok.

6 hours ago, Pen said:

Basically from what I read seemed to be warning that we will eventually have community spread in US, but saying we don’t yet...    but since they aren’t testing for it yet, who knows.  Maybe the sickness now is all “flu” and  other viruses— and maybe some is the Covid-19.  I’d like to know that there have been some spot checks and it isn’t, but with defective test kits, USA is in Bad  straits regarding testing. 

The numbers hit up and down again for the US, like I saw the other day. This time, there was a note about removing DP cases, which is why the number dropped (when I checked this morning()

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

From SacBee https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article240516951.html

“Sacramento County reported its first case of novel coronavirus in a traveler who had gone to China, bringing the number of cases in the United States to 17. Rural Humboldt County reported on Thursday that it also had a case.

The Sacramento County traveler returned to the United States from China on Feb. 2, Sacramento County officials said, and after experiencing mild symptoms, the person consulted their physician and coordinated a test through Sacramento County Public Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Public health officials said the individual, who is now asymptomatic, took precautionary measures during travel and has self-quarantined since returning. The county health department continues to monitor the individual.”

When did he test positive, and they knew about it? Thursday is 18 days from Feb. 2, longer than the suggested 14-day quarantine.

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Considering most critical cases and deaths are among the elderly, it hitting a retirement home can't be good.

3 hours ago, Pen said:

Hubei is late releasing case numbers today.  

Italy and Iran situations look bad.

I expect quite a few places, USA included, are worse than they seem either due to suppressed information (N Korea), or lack of (functional) testing kits (USA, South America, Africa...) 

USA is terrible with providing numbers...

• Like 3