Menu

Lab/Pyrenees mix

Jaybee

So...I have been looking at dogs for a long long time. There are several different directions we could go, and we may not be quite ready for one yet, depending on the situation. There are several breeds/mixes that would be fine, I think, depending on the personality of the individual dog. A rescue dog here in our town is not a possibility, just trust me--I've looked at them periodically for months, so no need to recommend that. I go back and forth over medium/large (up to about 60 lbs) or medium/small (30-40 lbs), shedding or non-shedding breed, etc. So I'm not locked in yet. I've just been waiting more to see what specific circumstances turn up. Today I found out from someone we know that they have some chocolate lab/Pyrenees mix puppies. (Both parents are on the smaller side for their breed, so probably about 60 lbs adult.) That sounds like a good personality mix for a family dog to me, but I'd like feedback from you guys. Our kids at home are teens, but we want a dog good with young children as well, due to grandchildren and guests. We have a fenced backyard, and a walkable neighborhood. So, those of you who are dog people, talk me through this, and what info can you give me about a mix of those two?

ETA: I don't know tons yet about these particular pups, because I don't want to start pursuing it if I find out from other research that it's not something we want to consider.

Edited by Jaybee

I so hear you with the rescue dog thing.  our humane society is about 90% pit bulls or chihuahuas.  I got so fed up when people would tell dd she had to get a rescue.  

she's picking her new puppy today (full-blood sibling of her current dog) - the breeder sent her pics of three with basic personality info.  (pick-up is Saturday).

a lab/pyr mix should be good with kids.  both are fairly mellow breeds.   Just watched a special on a pyr who worked a sheep ranch.  it just walks around, ignores the sheep and the sheep ignore it.  they also train dogs - so lots of people and dogs coming and going to their property.  it would ignore them too.  (they'd had an Anatolian shepherd that would go nuts). - interestingly, while a pyr's instincts will kick in to hunt down a coyote who threatens the sheep, the scent markings the pyr leaves tend to make coyotes avoid the ranch.

do take the puppy out and socialize socialize and socialize.  get them exposed to as many new experiences, people - other animals - children - noise, as you can before they're three months.  you should still do so after that, but the earlier you start the faster the pup will learn.

females will still be smaller than males.

• Like 1

You all have convinced me. I don't want one as big as this is probably going to be; outside is one thing, but in the house? I don't think so! Plus, while we've had dogs before, we aren't "experienced" owners as far as training difficult dogs. All along I've been leaning toward a mini-goldendoodle. I know the arguments against them, but the personality ranges are pretty much what we want. I'm also following mini-whoodles and mini-aussiedoodles. Our dd's dog is a standard goldendoodle. He's such a great dog! Just tall. So tall.

ETA: Oh, and your basic good ol' family golden retriever. Been looking at them as well.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I'm thinking his figures on the size have to be off, even if they are small for their respective breeds.

True.  

The whole thing may be off.  They may not actually be either pure Lab or Pyrenees parents.  

I knew one Lab/Pyrenees mix, and it was huge...  he was a “gentle giant” type dog BUT he belonged to very very experienced owners, lived in rural circumstances, etc.      I have had gentle giant Rottweilers too, but I would not recommend these big working and bred to be guard dogs type dogs for your circumstances.  

I have a Labrador-Dalmatian mix from a small field bred Labrador lines Lab...for the Lab part, (Dalmatians are typically smaller yet) and while he looks very petite for a Lab, he’s 68lbs—not a bit fat.  

38 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

You all have convinced me. I don't want one as big as this is probably going to be; outside is one thing, but in the house? I don't think so! Plus, while we've had dogs before, we aren't "experienced" owners as far as training difficult dogs. All along I've been leaning toward a mini-goldendoodle. I know the arguments against them, but the personality ranges are pretty much what we want. I'm also following mini-whoodles and mini-aussiedoodles. Our dd's dog is a standard goldendoodle. He's such a great dog! Just tall. So tall.

ETA: Oh, and your basic good ol' family golden retriever. Been looking at them as well.

Golden Retriever, Labrador, poodle mixed with either would be likely to be good in your circumstances.

Australian Shepherds down block from us have had biting people troubles.  I don’t know how typical that is, but substantial troubles and they are experienced owners.  The dogs are smaller, than Pyrenees, but they are both livestock protectors and herding heel nippers.  

• Like 1

Look at keeshonds. Great personalities, great size, great with people and other pets. Our keesie loved everyone and everything. Very smart, easy to train with food, but have a reputation for being a bit stubborn and mischievous. Ours wasn’t. Grooming looks daunting, but really, it’s easy. I brushed her about once a month, and when she shed, it was big clumps that looks like dust bunnies and were easy to just pick up. Way better than the constant hairs of shorter haired dogs, imo. They generally don’t have the doggie smell that hounds and retrievers can have. Ours was a happy, playful, joyful dog her whole life. No hang ups, no separation issues, no anxieties until some dementia at the end, no chewing past puppyhood. They do have several types of  barks, some of which can rattle your brain, lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

Australian Shepherds down block from us have had biting people troubles.  I don’t know how typical that is, but substantial troubles and they are experienced owners.  The dogs are smaller, than Pyrenees, but they are both livestock protectors and herding heel nippers.  

Yes, I think the aussie tendencies might be more high strung than we want, but I'm still researching the aussiedoodle mix.

We're currently dog-sitting a Maltese--friends' dog we keep often. We'd like a little less velcro-y than she is, but still want an affectionate, social dog. 

2 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

I agree with everyone about a pyr mix. My grandparents had one, but they had 30+ acres for it to to roam and they worked it.

Personally I am partial to goldens(excuse the rug disaster in the picture; we were pulling it up while my two dogs sat there looking sad so I’d give them treats).

0759A22F-ABC8-40F0-ABD9-AE31C416DCE3.jpeg

You see, those goldens' eyes are what always get me. They have such loving eyes. When I was a child, we had a mutt for a time that had the kindest, most loving eyes I have ever seen on a dog. I know he understood everything I told him, lol, because he looked at me with such sympathy after I told him my troubles. I'd love another dog like Pete. ❤️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

Non-shedding? Pyr/Lab? Hah!

Pyrs are bred to be guardians, so if not socialized, they can be a nightmare. They are also bred to bark. ALL NIGHT LONG!!!! That cross has opposite temperaments (other than good napping!) so you don't know what you're going to get. Crosses don't mix traits usually, but traits will be there, but you don't know which ones you'll get. I love the Pyrs we've had over the years, but they shed, bark, and dig out and jump fences. 

Pass!

Oh, I know they are not non-shedding!  I said I was going back and forth over what type, shedding or not.

3 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

You see, those goldens' eyes are what always get me. They have such loving eyes. When I was a child, we had a mutt for a time that had the kindest, most loving eyes I have ever seen on a dog. I know he understood everything I told him, lol, because he looked at me with such sympathy after I told him my troubles. I'd love another dog like Pete. ❤️

Your circumstances sound like they’d be great for a Golden or Golden/easy breed cross.

• Like 2

We've had two Pyrs.

The first we raised from puppyhood.  He had a pampered life, and never worked except for the work he made for himself.  He was the mellowest dog I've ever met.  Everyone was a friend--human, dog, cat, whatever.  He did guard our house by barking, but anyone invited inside was immediately accepted as one of us.  We had him from before our older son was born, and he was nothing but gentle with him.  I would say that as far as intelligence went, he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but his behavior was just naturally good, so he didn't really need to be trained.  We lived in a suburban setting for just about all of his life (almost 9 years).

We have another Pyr now.  We got him when he was 18 months old.  He was originally our neighbors' dog, who had him living in a pen with goats.  He was put into the pen when he was just a few months old, never walked (until my husband and son took upon themselves to walk him), never really socialized with other dogs or humans.  You'd think he would be a total disaster, but he is an amazing dog.  He is the perfect house dog without ever having any training.  He has never had an accident in the house, never taken food off of the counter, never chewed on anything that wasn't given to him to chew, doesn't scratch at anything like woodwork or whatever.  You can even talk to him like he's a human and he understands.  It's crazy.

That said, he is aggressive toward other dogs if both he and they are on a leash, and he is protective of our house, so he barks at delivery people, though we have discovered that it isn't the people he is barking at, but the truck.  We are careful to introduce him to new people on neutral ground, but once he's introduced, the person becomes his favorite friend.  He is also neurotic about certain things, like going in the car or visiting with the vet (who makes house calls, thank goodness).  The vet claims that he is one of the smartest dogs she has encountered--which is saying something coming from her!

I know that Pyrs have a reputation for being difficult, but that hasn't been our experience at all.

ETA: First dog was 120 lbs, current dog is probably 135 lbs.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaybee said:

my daughter's breeder of multi-gen Australian labradoodles has a few puppies left.  the current pair with puppies going home are "small/med",  about 35lbs.   I think she had one left from her last standard sized litter too.  (she had 12 puppies!).

dd's dog has been amazing, and we're both excited for the puppy.  I will be picking them up in the morning, and taking them to my house.  she'll pick them up on her way home from work.  I'll be doing that for at least the next year.

eta: I was going to say, PM me if you're interested.  (these are expensive. - but it includes microchip, genetic testing on the parents before they're bred to limit future health problems, spay/neuter,, first shots, worming/meds, etc.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

60-70 lb stocky dog would probably be fine. But dd's 60 lb slim dog is so tall!

Labs have short legs, and depending on male or female, they can easily get to 80+ lbs. Standard poodles have very long legs, so if you aren't looking for tall, avoid labradoodles.

If you want an easy to train, laid-back dog, get a well-bread lab (for health purposes). They can have hips issues, as can all larger breeds. Go for a female if you want a smaller dog, and male for larger. Golden retrievers and nice, too, but can be taller than labs.

Lab/retriever mixes are also a great choice. They have a little longer coat than pure labs. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I love the Pyr personality, but it is definitely not for everyone. We had a Pyr/coonhound mix who was long and tall and weighed 110 lbs. Now we have a Pyr/heeler mix who is a short little guy that weighs about 60 lbs. Personality traits: Very independent, have a mind of their own, love to be outside in all kinds of weather for long stretches of the day, need a big piece of property - or at the very least, a very big yard, not happy being stuck in the house, definitely not a couch potato dog, very watchful of every person or critter that passes by, including birds (both of ours have been vigilant about watching for birds of prey flying overhead), bark like crazy day and night (many Pyrs end up at shelters because they bark so much 🙁). They shed gobs and gobs of fur and have double dew claws that need trimming so they don't become overgrown. 

I'm not sure how all of that would combine with the lab personality, but would be interested to find out!🙂

• Like 1

I had an Aussie rescue for over 10 years.  She was a great dog.  She never barked...like months could go by between hearing her bark...and then if she did, it was something serious.

That said, I lived on a horse farm for the first 9 years we had her.  She had free roam of the farm, went on 4+ mile horseback rides (running alongside the horses), sat on her hill watching the horses, gently herded the chickens, etc.

I never had her be unsafe with any kids but I also never let her along with preschool kids.

I loved her and as an Aussie I could talk her for walks off leash (where allowed) and she stayed right by me.   That said, I don't think a younger Aussie would be good for inside the house or someone not prepared to give them a job and lots of exercise.

• Like 1

If you want minimal shedding, smaller indoor dog look at smaller varieties of poodles and things mixed with poodles.

Keeshonds are lovely, but they shed and bark a ton, and wouldn't be any more appropriate than a Pyr IMO.

If you're going to buy a dog you want to spend the money and get one that was raised inside with a family and was given a ton of attention.  The kind of person who shows poodles but only breeds one at a time is the sort you want.  Not some farmer who took up dog breeding to bring in extra cash.

• Like 2

We have a one year old lab, he’s a sweet guy who is occasionally quite rambunctious. He’s 70 pounds and scrawny as all get out, but he’s got long legs.  Despite our wishes he rests his chin on the table when we are eating! 

Anyway, I can’t wait to hear what kind of dog you end up with. 

88E60A0A-987A-443C-BD1D-374168BD782D.jpeg

• Like 6

Just now, Pen said:

You might want to consider a Brittany also as a smaller usually sweet temperament dog .

(Hounds tend to b e difficult, but in my experience beagles tend to be great with small kids. And are even smaller.) 

We have an beagle mix we got as an older dog and he is so good with kids. He’s really quiet and chill which possibly  comes from whatever he’s mixed with. He does randomly get into trouble though, last week he ate a bag of grapes which required an emergency visit to the vet. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Rachel said:

We have a one year old lab, he’s a sweet guy who is occasionally quite rambunctious. He’s 70 pounds and scrawny as all get out, but he’s got long legs.  Despite our wishes he rests his chin on the table when we are eating! 

What a sweetie! It may still be awhile before we can get one, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

49 minutes ago, Pen said:

You might want to consider a Brittany also as a smaller usually sweet temperament dog .

(Hounds tend to b e difficult, but in my experience beagles tend to be great with small kids. And are even smaller.) 

I looked quite a long time at springer spaniels, as I had a friend (in our former location) who had a wonderful one I loved on when I visited her. After reading about springer rage, though, I had second thoughts. My dad had beagles for several years, and I liked them, but ours were not house dogs. They were sweet, but it was hard to get really attached to them since he used them for running rabbits and we weren't around them as much. I still have trouble seeing them as house dogs.

58 minutes ago, Rachel said:

What a handsome guy! I love the chocolate labs. Their nose look edible! 

Our black lab uses his nose for so many things. He's a little like an elephant with a very short "bumper car" trunk. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaybee said:

I looked quite a long time at springer spaniels, as I had a friend (in our former location) who had a wonderful one I loved on when I visited her. After reading about springer rage, though, I had second thoughts. My dad had beagles for several years, and I liked them, but ours were not house dogs. They were sweet, but it was hard to get really attached to them since he used them for running rabbits and we weren't around them as much. I still have trouble seeing them as house dogs.

No reason to consider dogs who don’t appeal.  There are more than enough breeds available!

In re your objections though, I think Springer rage is fairly rare— but in any case Brittany isn’t the same as Springer.  

I’ve known successful New York City apartment beagles:  Especially by twos to exercise each other.  Biggest problem I’ve been aware of is if they are off lead in an unfenced area they can get into trouble following their noses (like rabbit trails for real, not metaphorical) and turning off their ears.   They tended to be like labs in welcoming children to play with them.  Like visiting grandkids would be cause for joy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pen said:

Our former dog was a Britt. Sweet as they come. He adored me and was super, super eager to please. He would do anything I asked of him. But OMG the energy level. He had no "off" switch as far as we could tell. We'd walk/run him for miles, then the boys would play with him for hours in the back yard and he'd still be going full tilt. He was almost 15 when we lost him to kidney and liver disease, and by that time he had quite a lot of arthritis, too. But his energy level at that point was still pretty high. In all the years I owned him I only ever recommended the breed to one person. He and his wife were mountain bikers. They had a young child, so they took turns biking--one would go one day, one the next. He said they'd typically cover ten miles or so and they were looking for a dog who would run with them. I told him, w/o exaggeration, that that would probably be enough exercise for a Britt. They're often called the marathoners of the dog world.

I'm a huge beagle fan. I think they're vastly under appreciated as great family pets. But there's a wide range of personalities and energy levels within the breed (more so than a lot of other breeds, IME). Years ago I volunteered with a beagle rescue group and the fosters we had ranged from total couch potatoes to super high energy. Some are known for having a particular odor--it's a thing with hounds in general, and is often referred to as the "houndy" smell. Our beagle (we eventually failed fostering) never had it, but a beagle my mom had did. People think of beagles as difficult, stubborn or stupid, but many are wicked smart. And they aren't born people pleasers like the sporting breeds. They're bred to work far out in front of hunters, and therefore to think for themselves rather than take direct instructions. So you have to convince them of *why* they should do what you want them to do rather than what they think they should do (or want to do). They can be fabulously fun to train if you enjoy a challenge.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Why not just a miniature poodle? Or a golden? Either way you know what you are getting, versus with a doodle where it can vary so much. (and I say that as someone who owns a doodle )

11 hours ago, Selkie said:

No, it’s my Catahoula/Aussie mix who is the counter climber!

AF33D33C-CDB8-4E1B-BCA3-779F6E2D9F08.jpeg

Yup - that's a Catahoula for you. Tree climbers, counter climbers.....crazy smart with the emphasis on the "crazy" part, lol. I love other people's catahoulas, but have no desire to own one 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our corgi is the best dog we have ever owned. Smart, bossy, and loves to be with her people, so she is happy hanging out inside. Or hiking with dh or riding in the car or hanging at the tennis courts. Wherever we go, that is where she prefers to be. But not needy and independent- she is fine at home and saves her irritation for when we walk back in the house. 

She is the best dog decision we ever made. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Terabith said:

My daughter says you want a Corgi.  

Mostly I think it’s because she wants a corgi.  

I also think you want a corgi and, like Terabith's daughter, think so mostly because I also want one.  I follow a couple of corgi accounts on  Instagram, but I wanted one before that.   I recently met a corgi who lives in our neighborhood, and it was all I could do not to corginap him.  They seem like big dogs in small-dog bodies.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jaybee said:

My Brittany was the sweetest thing ever.  She was very high energy though for many years.  I would say around age 9 or 10 she began to slow down.  I failed to train her to not run away when she was a pup....that is my  biggest regret.  When she would get loose she would run like the wind.  

I never heard of springer rage.

• Like 1

My son and his wife just got an Akita.  I am in love with that dog.  She is so gentle and sweet and very calm for a pup.  She found my cat's toy and brought it to ds...She wasn't even trying to tear it up....just held it gently in her mouth and gave to ds.

Oh, but I hear they get to be huge.  Over 100 pounds.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Selkie said:

I know someone who raises corgis - we were just at her house yesterday, in fact. She has three adults and a litter of puppies. They are the funniest, bounciest, most friendly little dogs ever.🙂The babies are so adorable!

Jealous.  So, so jealous.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scarlett said:

My son and his wife just got an Akita.  I am in love with that dog.  She is so gentle and sweet and very calm for a pup.  She found my cat's toy and brought it to ds...She wasn't even trying to tear it up....just held it gently in her mouth and gave to ds.

Oh, but I hear they get to be huge.  Over 100 pounds.

Some Akitas are wonderful, but many are not. They are a protective, sometimes aggressive breed. The only puppy I was ever afraid of was an Akita. We tried to warn the owner, but she wouldn't listen and her son ended up needing plastic surgery after it attacked her. It wasn't even a year old. But I've also known one that was sweet as honey and a total love bucket. 

24 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

That's interesting on the Beagles. I had only ever heard of them being dumb as a box of rocks. I didn't realize they could be smart tbh. I had a friend with two and they were the worst dogs on earth to house break-- she basically never could and just any obedience was impossible. But they're super cute, so good to know for the future.

I think I only have one more "cycle" of large dogs in my future after the current crew. I am a big dog person, and can handle 80-100 lbs still, but I'm guessing in 20 years I'll be looking for the next generation to be a lot smaller and more manageable- like Beagle size! 

Oh - very smart. Just as she said though, not bred to care what humans think very much. I consider hounds to be almost ASD in that way - they don't get human body lanugage/expressions/etc as easily as say, a labrador or other dog bred to pay attention to humans and follow commands. It isn't that they are dumb, they just need to be explicitly taught. It's almost amusing....my hound would have something naughty, maybe chewing up a shoe, and unlike any other dog I had who would have the decency to realize I was upset about it, he'd look up at me totally unconcerned, despite my obvious displeasure, as if to say, "What? Want some?"

Hard to get angry at a dog like that, lol. 

But beagles are so sweet, and are the dogs used by customs officials in Florida to sniff out contraband. They find that hounds are just as good at the job as a shepherd, but less intimidating to passengers. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

That's interesting on the Beagles. I had only ever heard of them being dumb as a box of rocks. I didn't realize they could be smart tbh. I had a friend with two and they were the worst dogs on earth to house break-- she basically never could and just any obedience was impossible. But they're super cute, so good to know for the future.

Unfortunately too many people think, or convince themselves in order to spare their ego, that "hard to train" = dumb.

It's just as likely, perhaps more likely, that "hard to train" = the dog is in some ways smarter than the trainer. 😉

Most of the breeds that are thought of as easy to train are dogs who have been bred to be receptive to human training--to work closely under the direction of a hunter or herder--and are therefore eager to please. Any doofus should be able to train one of those with just a little effort, and when they do it successfully they think the dog is brilliant. And it may be, or it may be that it's just compliant from centuries of selective breeding. Other dogs have been bred for centuries to work independently, far out in front of a hunter, and therefore to think for themselves and make independent decisions. They get labeled as stubborn or dumb simply because they aren't genetically programmed to be eager to please people "just because." They're often super smart dogs who have to be convinced why your way is the right way.

(That's not to say there aren't some less-than-smart dogs. There certainly are! But many very smart, independent dogs get labeled unfairly.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Some Akitas are wonderful, but many are not. They are a protective, sometimes aggressive breed. The only puppy I was ever afraid of was an Akita. We tried to warn the owner, but she wouldn't listen and her son ended up needing plastic surgery after it attacked her. It wasn't even a year old. But I've also known one that was sweet as honey and a total love bucket. 

She definitely is sweet as honey.  I don’t recall ever seeing a pup so sweet and calm at 5 months.  

On 12/11/2019 at 6:31 PM, Rachel said:

Our 1yo lab is tall and skinny, too. Such an awkward stage. We call him baby horse. 

• Like 3

On 12/11/2019 at 12:02 PM, Jaybee said:

So...I have been looking at dogs for a long long time. There are several different directions we could go, and we may not be quite ready for one yet, depending on the situation. There are several breeds/mixes that would be fine, I think, depending on the personality of the individual dog. A rescue dog here in our town is not a possibility, just trust me--I've looked at them periodically for months, so no need to recommend that. I go back and forth over medium/large (up to about 60 lbs) or medium/small (30-40 lbs), shedding or non-shedding breed, etc. So I'm not locked in yet. I've just been waiting more to see what specific circumstances turn up. Today I found out from someone we know that they have some chocolate lab/Pyrenees mix puppies. (Both parents are on the smaller side for their breed, so probably about 60 lbs adult.) That sounds like a good personality mix for a family dog to me, but I'd like feedback from you guys. Our kids at home are teens, but we want a dog good with young children as well, due to grandchildren and guests. We have a fenced backyard, and a walkable neighborhood. So, those of you who are dog people, talk me through this, and what info can you give me about a mix of those two?

ETA: I don't know tons yet about these particular pups, because I don't want to start pursuing it if I find out from other research that it's not something we want to consider.

Funny coincidence.....my MIL (who just lost her beloved dog) says her neighbor told her about a litter of pups half lab half Pyrenees!  My SIL told her 'we don't have room to raise an elephant.'  LOL.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Our 1yo lab is tall and skinny, too. Such an awkward stage. We call him baby horse. 

That’s a good description. We say Boone is the bull in the China shop. He seems to have no idea what his limbs are doing most of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Rachel said:

@sassenachhe is handsome! Did you get him about this time last year? I remember someone getting a black lab about a month after we got our chocolate but I can’t remember if that was you. 

Yes, we got him in late November and I definitely posted pictures. He’s such a weirdo. We love him so much. 

• Like 1