Menu

All night in the ER with dh

Scarlett

Does anyone remember the incident he had in flight 3 years ago when he passed out cold and was not breathing for probably a full minute.  He has a history of PE and so we have always assumed that is what it was.  He did not go to the doctor that time until maybe 4 days later and there was. No evidence left of a PE, but the doctor agreed it likely was one due to his history.  

Well last night, we went to a fundraiser for shelter animals....his company bought a table so we were there with dh’s co workers.  We left there about 9 and 6 of us went to a small restaurant/bar and Dh ordered a burger and fries a beer.  We were all talking and laughing when I sensed Dh had stopped participating. I looked over at him next to me and he was leaned back and sweating....I said are you ok and he said no and the young men (co workers) across the table from us (about 27 years old and from India) began to look very concerned and then bam, Dh was out cold just like on the plane.  I started screaming ‘help me! Call 911!!’.  Dh was vomiting slightly, tongue out, eyes rolled back in his head.....I thought he was going to die because I was sure it was a PE even though he is on blood thinners now.  One of the young coworker called 911 and a customer ran over and pulled the table away from the bench Dh and I were on, and another co work pulled me away and that customer had them help her get Dh to lie down and turned on his side and within about a minute he began to breathe. 

Within 3 or 4 min ambulance was there and took him in.  One of the young co workers drove me in my car to ER and his friend followed the ambulance.  Doctor determined Dh was stable right away, but it took hours to run ekg, ct scan, blood work, chest X-rays. Young  co workers stayed with us the whole night and even wanted to drive us home which I thought was so kind and sweet.  But Dh was stable, I was fine, so I finally convinced them I could drive us home.  

What a crazy night.  Now we are trying to figure out what the heck is going on.  I will call his doctor on Monday, but Dh and I both are thinking this has something to do with his esophagus issues....and that if it does it may have also been the case on the plane....big Dh, in tiny airplane seat for an hour...something pressing on something that caused him to pass out.  And last night I told Dh when he ordered the burger he did not need it because we had eaten a few hours earlier at the fundraiser.  And he is remembering that he had a sensation of pressure on the bottom of his esophagus which is why he leaned back....

Anyway just thought  I would share our drama.  🙂

Edited by Scarlett
  • Sad 20

Wow, Scarlett, you must have been terrified! I’m so sorry you and your dh had to go through that!

I’m glad to hear that your dh is feeling better now, and it’s great that his coworkers were so kind to both of you and also that the ambulance arrived quickly (although a few minutes feels like hours in a scary situation like that!)

I hope your dh’s doctors will be able to figure out what’s going on, so it never happens again. Maybe the info from the tests they ran at the hospital will be helpful in narrowing down what the problem might be — if nothing else, those tests will help rule out some of the possibilities.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

That sounds so traumatic! I hope you get your answers and that everything is more or less okay. And that you're able to recover. I think I'd be first on an adrenaline high and then on a crash that was very, very bad and depressing after something like that.

There was an incident with my dh where I 100% thought I was watching him die (in the hospital after heart surgery when he passed out very dramatically with a lot of flopping around.). I was sort of ok after that, but very sober, and the worst of it emotionally was actually a few days later when I finally broke down into loud, noisy all-encompassing bawling.  Be gentle with yourself for the next week or so.  A scare like that can take a long time to recover from.

I’m soooo glad your dh is ok right now.  I hope they get to the bottom of it.

• Like 5

Has he been worked up for a hiatal hernia?  The  parasophageal variant would fit his symptoms, I think:

https://columbiasurgery.org/conditions-and-treatments/hiatal-hernia

Signs and Symptoms

Most small hiatal hernias do not cause symptoms. The most common symptom of hiatal hernia is gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).

Giant hiatal hernias may cause symptoms including heartburn/regurgitation, anemia, aspiration, chest pain associated with eating, vomiting after meals, difficulty swallowing, fatigue, and shortness of breath.

Symptoms of parasophageal hernia may include problems swallowing, fainting, and vomiting.

• Like 1

Do you know what type of clotting disorder he has? 

I ask because antiphospholipid syndrome can cause GI problems. 

Anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome, which usually occurs in association with SLE but can also exist in a primary form, has been linked to a number of GI manifestations, including a case of oesophageal necrosis with perforation due to vascular thrombosis.

https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/article/47/6/746/1785361

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Do you know what type of clotting disorder he has? 

I ask because antiphospholipid syndrome can cause GI problems. 

https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/article/47/6/746/1785361

His mom and a few siblings  have Factor 5. Dh tested negative for it but I am not sure if they tested him for any others.  

Edited by Scarlett

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

His mom and a few sisters have Factor 5. Dh tested negative for it but I am not sure if they tested him for any others.  

Oh, that's odd! 

We think APL runs in my family, but getting doctors to test...ugh. I do have one relative who did test positive (bigger city, teaching hospital), but we have a multi-generational family history of supposedly "rare" bowel ruptures/stomach gangrene in our family as well as blood clots. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Did he have an esophageal spasm?  (Just throwing this out there to ask the doctor). Though when I have had them I cannot swallow and it is intense pain until the muscles release. 

I am glad that you had a quick medical response 

He has that often. Sometimes several times a week.  

He saw his PC doc yesterday.  Doc says yes esophagus issues can cause fainting.   Fainting doesn't seem quite the right word because that brings to mind a gentle falling down, where as with dh it was a violent, almost like a seizure.  Anyway, squirrel, but the doc has ordered an upper scope to  be sure nothing is damaged in there....he just had one in Feb, but who knows.   

Definitely type out a list of ALL symptoms, even unrelated, and bring it to EVERY doctor's visit, even if it seems unrelated. They will appreciate having it. Also have a typed list of all his doctors, with addresses, phone numbers, and fax numbers. And keep copies of all lab reports and share them with all his doctors. A binder works well for this, one section for symptoms and a timeline of events, one section with doctor contact info, one section with all medications taken, one section with lab results. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ktgrok said:

Definitely type out a list of ALL symptoms, even unrelated, and bring it to EVERY doctor's visit, even if it seems unrelated. They will appreciate having it. Also have a typed list of all his doctors, with addresses, phone numbers, and fax numbers. And keep copies of all lab reports and share them with all his doctors. A binder works well for this, one section for symptoms and a timeline of events, one section with doctor contact info, one section with all medications taken, one section with lab results. 

Thankfully the network here is very easy for all doctors to access.  Yesterday the PC doc was able to look at all the tests and notes from the ER visit Saturday night. He was impressed at how thorough the ER doc was.  

Our PC doc is the one who put dh on bloodthinners because of PEs.  2 PEs were confirmed, so I do see how everyone thought that is what the 2 unconfirmed were.  And the PC doc also has sent dh to the gastro doc several times for stretching and looky sees.....I just think everyone all around missed the connection to fainting/esophagus issues.  We never thought to mention to the gastro doc the fainting....but we will now of course.

Medical stuff is exhausting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

...Fainting doesn't seem quite the right word because that brings to mind a gentle falling down, where as with dh it was a violent, almost like a seizure...

We've had a lot of fainting in our family (adolescent times with vaso vagal hyperactivity), and we gained lots of knowledge regarding fainting.  Many people, although maybe not the majority, have seizure like fainting episodes.  Many MDs are not aware of what can be this very normal fainting 'style'.  For us, lack of MD's knowledge led to way to much work up for one particular child, UGH, it was just simple fainting - bazillion tests unnecessary.  Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of it.  Sounds like a rough time for you both this weekend!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Thankfully the network here is very easy for all doctors to access.  Yesterday the PC doc was able to look at all the tests and notes from the ER visit Saturday night. He was impressed at how thorough the ER doc was.  

Our PC doc is the one who put dh on bloodthinners because of PEs.  2 PEs were confirmed, so I do see how everyone thought that is what the 2 unconfirmed were.  And the PC doc also has sent dh to the gastro doc several times for stretching and looky sees.....I just think everyone all around missed the connection to fainting/esophagus issues.  We never thought to mention to the gastro doc the fainting....but we will now of course.

Medical stuff is exhausting!

It really is so easy to forget to mention something that doesn't seem related. That's why I recommend having a master list of ALL symptoms/problems, even unrelated ones, that goes with you to every doctor appointment. You can just keep a list in google docs so if you forget it you can bring it up on your phone, etc. That way even if you don't think something is related, the doctor can still see it, and you don't have to remember everything. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Familia said:

We've had a lot of fainting in our family (adolescent times with vaso vagal hyperactivity), and we gained lots of knowledge regarding fainting.  Many people, although maybe not the majority, have seizure like fainting episodes.  Many MDs are not aware of what can be this very normal fainting 'style'.  For us, lack of MD's knowledge led to way to much work up for one particular child, UGH, it was just simple fainting - bazillion tests unnecessary.  Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of it.  Sounds like a rough time for you both this weekend!

Thank you!  That makes me feel better....the dramatic way he faints just freaks me out so bad!  Now that I know it is not a PE I think I can keep myself calm if it happens again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Familia said:

We've had a lot of fainting in our family (adolescent times with vaso vagal hyperactivity), and we gained lots of knowledge regarding fainting.  Many people, although maybe not the majority, have seizure like fainting episodes.  Many MDs are not aware of what can be this very normal fainting 'style'.  For us, lack of MD's knowledge led to way to much work up for one particular child, UGH, it was just simple fainting - bazillion tests unnecessary. 

We have a ds who has seizure-like fainting episodes and our doctors haven't been knowledgeable about them either.  They are scary to witness.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1