Menu

S/O from amy g.'s thread - re.:garages

How do you use your garage?  

1. 1. How do you use your garage?

• Garage - used as a garage for the car
    • Garage - used as a family/playroom
    • Garage - used as storage
    • No Garage

How many of you use your garage for the car? Or is it a family/playroom? If you use it as an extra room, how do you heat it? I have thought about doing this, but this is my first time having a garage - ever - and have enjoyed it so far.

So, what about you? what works best for your family?

I voted storage - but that isn't 100% correct either.

It's detached and like 75 feet from the house, it's used as a "shop" by DH. Not a lot of storage in it because it's not that well built. Light things only up in the rafters.

In the past - it was either car or storage depending on what phase of car we were in.

My DH and I have discussed this numerous times over the years. The truth is that we need a large family den hangout type space. The kids bedrooms are tiny and we only have one living room type space. We hate the idea of parking our cars outside because the way our driveway is designed, we'd be parking about 60 - 70 feet from the house. Plus, when we talked to the kids about it, they only agreed to use the space if it was totally finished like a regular room of the house with carpeting, painted walls, AC and heat. It just seems an impossible dream.

I voted storage. But it also houses our washer/dryer, treadmill and weight bench/rack. So storage/laundry room/workout room. There is space for a car on one side if we really need it (hail storm coming, etc.) And I have been known to send the kids out there to play. But with no basement or other large storage area, that's primarily what it has to be for.

We use ours for one car (my minivan), and the other side is storage/workbench space. Even with the built-in workbench, we could fit DH's little car in there if we wanted to, but he'd rather have the storage and work space and doesn't mind parking outside. It's not amenable to being an extra room, though I do wish it were warmer so I could let the kids do sand and water-type stuff on yucky days!

Since our house was built about 100 years ago, the only place for someone to later build a garage was in the backyard...and the driveway is too narrow to really get back there, so the van lives in the front driveway. Most folks in our neighborhood have the same situation. Where else, anyway, to put lawn mowers, snow blowers, shovels, off-season lawn furniture and potted fruit tree, unused furniture, hubby's old Macintosh 'puters, sleds, scooters, grill, and some large wooden boxes of well-packed ceramics for our sculptor neighbor who has no garage for storage???? ;)

Since our house was built about 100 years ago, the only place for someone to later build a garage was in the backyard...and the driveway is too narrow to really get back there, so the van lives in the front driveway. Most folks in our neighborhood have the same situation. Where else, anyway, to put lawn mowers, snow blowers, shovels, off-season lawn furniture and potted fruit tree, unused furniture, hubby's old Macintosh 'puters, sleds, scooters, grill, and some large wooden boxes of well-packed ceramics for our sculptor neighbor who has no garage for storage???? ;)

Our garage is set up like yours. We have a pretty big garage; it will hold 2 cars, but they would have to be one in front of the other as it is longer than it is wide. There is also a nice loft space. We ran electricity out there a few years ago. The garage has dh's motorcycle, bar-style dart board, all his power tools (big saws and drill presses and stuff like that), all the bikes, the lawn mower, and a bunch of stuff that I have cleaned out of the house that needs to be donated or something. We have debated about insulating and finishing the loft area to use for something. We considered a quilting studio, but I am afraid if all my stuff is out there that I wouldn't sew as much. Maybe when the kids are out of the house it might work better for that, but for now I don't think so.

We really need to clean it out and at least try to put dh's boat in there over the winter. Somehow I don't see this happening. :glare:

mine is game room/crafts room/storage (it's a 2 car garage if that matters)

On one side we have house stuff, freezer, grill, mower, tools and such.

On the other we have full size air hockey table, foosball, an upright piano that needs a home (we never use it, needs tuned, otherwise fine), a sofa, craft cabinet (to store jars, paint, and such that is messy in the house or best out of itty hands/mouths) and hmm... oh yeah a cafeteria table that stays folded unless I open it up to do major crafts at.

We don't heat it. Oklahoma just doesn't get bad enough often enough to make it worth it. We used to have a little floor space heater, but it broke and we didn't replace it. We just tell them to put their coat on if they want to play air hockey or feel a burning desire to make a diorama.

We have fans for help in cooling it, it's a fairly well shaded area of the house and we never open the rolling garage door, so that's usually enough to keep it cool enough for kids to tolorate.

Kids just don't feel heat and cold like we do so it's never really been an issue.

our garage is used for storage, dh's workshop, kids' toy access for bikes/front yard toys, and dh's gym. oh and my corner of cleaning supplies. so storage mainly I guess but we spend time in it daily...hanging out when getting toys out, or talking to dh while he works out...or cutting dh's hair...it's a multipurpose room!

DH accuses us of playing in the garage :tongue_smilie: Ours is a minefield of tools, paint, mowers, bikes, lumber, electronics, camping gear, and the clothesdryer just recently took up a position out there! Our laundry room vents upwards and the moisture in the house was a huge problem. I would rather traipse out to the garage than deal with the humidity and mold issues. We couldn't live without a garage :)

I needed two votes :p

We have a 2 car garage. My truck is kept in the garage, the other side is used for storage. We have 8 bikes, remember, as well as other BMX gear and kid toys. So, all that is kept on the other side. Stuff stored in buckets on shelves and along the wall on the same side as my truck.

In our current house, we have a two car garage with about half being my dh's workshop and half going for storage. In our next house, we will also have a two car garage but with a lot more storage and pain room in the house, I intend to keep my car in the garage. He will continue to have his truch outside since it porbably is too tall anyway and he still needs room for his large woodworking machines.

I clicked 'used as storage', but really, less then half is storage, the main thing about our garage is its use as a wood-working shop for dh. He actually gets bent out of shape when I take anything out there to store..it's his place...