Menu

Brainstorm with me, what can I do to make 26K a year?

And still homeschool my dd8 and ds4? Is it possible? I don't want to talk about any other facets of this, just what do I need to do in order to accomplish this.

I'm not looking for a dream job or anything fulfilling just something that will allow to afford our desired lifestyle. I don't even know WHAT to pursue at this point- school or a temporary job. I'll probably get a temporary job for right now but I need something else to work towards. Something tangible.

Become certified in medical transcriptioning? Go to school to become a nurse? (I don't know if I have the stomach for it though)

Maybe something like x-ray technician or ultrasound technician? Those are shorter courses and I know those jobs are in high-demand in most areas. Even just getting your LVN would provide you with 26k/year. Medical billing would be good work and I know the MDs I used to work for allowed alot of their people to work from home.

There's a lot of flexibility in the medical field and decent money to be made.

Crazy thought, but could you do a combination of tutoring? doing state testing? support for nursing moms? Selling slings and things? (like homemade "waldorfy" items) selling other products online? Dog walking? I've been thinking about you:-) Cat sitting? (just feeding and such at the cat's house) Working at a YMCA for after school care? Working at a Classical School?

:-)

In my state, there is something called "shared living" where you can take on an adult with mental retardation. You can make up to 35,000 a year, tax free because it is considered a stipend. The person goes to a day program during the day and you get money for "vacation" too, so you can take time off.

Adult foster care is the same thing, but it pays less.

They don't place anyone with children that could be dangerous either. If you need have any questions about it, feel free to PM me. :)

I say do what you know. There is no sense in starting over if the goal is simply supporting your family.

Don't you have a background in graphic arts?

Why not start a web design business? Everyone loves your blog, and it would be a great place to start advertising. Spend some time expanding your knowledge of html, flash, etc. (you can do that with library books after the kids are in bed) and offer blog design and commerical web sites.

Include logo design, business cards, letter head in your packages.

You are a smart, talented woman, Jessica. You can do this!

In or around Savannah? Savannah has pretty much any field you'd want to go into, but I've got to agree with Chrissy. Play to your strengths and do what you know.

If you need a bit of extra while you are getting off the ground, how about home parties of one type or another. I'd sell something consumable though for the return business.

Hm. You'd have to make about $500/week to make $26K/year. So, with a full time (40 hour/week) job, you'd need to make $12.50/hour. What's minimum wage in your state? Here, in CA, it's $8/hour, but it looks like GA is only $5.15/hour? If that's the case, you'll need something skilled; you can't just take anything, unfortunately.

What hours would you be able to work? Are you looking at after 5 and weekends? Or could you work days, too?

If you can work days at all, I would talk to temp agencies to see what pay range they could offer you? Not ideal, but 1) at least it pays immediately and 2) you might be able to get a foot in the door for a position you want.

If you can work days, maybe you could substitute teach? I know here you can get a temporary certificate to sub in the public schools, basically just get fingerprinted and show that you have a BA. Here, you can also sub at private schools (but they pay less) without any certificate as long as you're fingerprinted and prove you have a BA and can meet whatever the private/parochial school's needs are. Cons: stressful, and it might burn you out for homeschooling. I've done it & I would ONLY sub at private schools anymore, even though they pay less.

Weren't you a graphic designer before? That would pay way more than minimum wage and you'd probably have more flexibility. Plus, doing that would build up your experience and contacts, and you'd have the potential to grow your own business. And that's the sort of work, that you can do online, that wouldn't limit you to your geographic area.

If you want something, _anything_, right away, and you have big hotels nearby, you could work in their banquets department, esp. this time of year. Pros: evening/night/weekend hours, better pay than min. wage, no stress & no work to take home--just show up, do the work, go home. Cons: won't help you advance anywhere you'd want to advance.

You could also look for evening/night work at a hotel in other depts. but those would undoubtedly be min. wage, so those wouldn't get you to the $26K/year.

Another alternative would be to take in a couple of infants for daycare or a few before/after school childcare kids. I'm taking care of an infant & it's been nice to have some additional money, but I'd have to have 2 infants at CA's childcare rates to make $26K/year. ONE baby is already making a huge impact on my time with the kids. If this weren't a relative's child, I don't think I would be willing to make the sacrifice.

Maybe take in a couple of children to homeschool along with your daughter? That might even be fun for you and Camille.

yvonne

My mom used to be a housekeeper. She charged by the job, usually around $75, and it took around 2 1/2 hours to clean a house. It's hard work, but the pay is good and the hours are flexible. This is a business you could begin immediately by placing ads in the classifieds. I've used housekeeping services in the past, and a good, reliable housekeeper is worth her weight in gold.

In your situation, I would go to school to become a pharmacist. Pick a school with student family housing and take out loans (yes, I know they are hard to get right now). I would swap childcare with other student families while in class.

Pharmacists make about 50/hour AND it is easy to find evening and part time work. So if the goal is 500/month, that's roughly 2 5-hour shifts per week.

I'd try to tutor--you would have most of the day free, because most tutoring takes place after school. You could charge about $25 an hour here, and if you can do SAT tutoring, you can charge even more. You can do small groups, and charge 20, but tutor 3 at a time.

But really, if you can get work as a graphic designer, wouldn't you make a lot more?

I say do what you know. There is no sense in starting over if the goal is simply supporting your family.

Don't you have a background in graphic arts?

Why not start a web design business? Everyone loves your blog, and it would be a great place to start advertising. Spend some time expanding your knowledge of html, flash, etc. (you can do that with library books after the kids are in bed) and offer blog design and commerical web sites.

Include logo design, business cards, letter head in your packages.

You are a smart, talented woman, Jessica. You can do this!

:iagree: ITA You can do this! :grouphug:

:iagree: You can do this!! Have confidence in yourself- you are very talented, and we don't lie. So if we say you can, you can!

A couple of things that some of the mom's in our homeschool group here do:

One is a single/divorced mom w/ 2 dc, and she teaches science classes, elementary through high school.

A couple of other mom's do photography. They only shoot on location,(peoples homes or a park, etc.) and they give their clients a cd w/ all the pictures when they are done. That way there is no "studio" to worry about.

Another mom I know drives a school bus. They pay about $11-$12 hour around here. She just takes her dd w/ her.

Another mom in our group teaches P.E. classes for 1 1/2 hrs per.class each week(one for k-2, and the other for 3rd-6th). She probably makes about $1200 a month.

You could do medical transcripting while you are working on starting your own business.

HTH some!

Jessica, what's your passion, apart from homeschooling?

Don't go for the bottom of the rung, just good enough jobs. Go for something that is what you would actually like to do, feeds your heart, inspires you. If you weren't homeschooling, and you didn't need the money what would you like to be doing (apart from parenting)? Think big! Go for your dreams! Life has a way of supporting you when you really go for what you want.

Jessica, what's your passion, apart from homeschooling?

Don't go for the bottom of the rung, just good enough jobs. Go for something that is what you would actually like to do, feeds your heart, inspires you. If you weren't homeschooling, and you didn't need the money what would you like to be doing (apart from parenting)? Think big! Go for your dreams! Life has a way of supporting you when you really go for what you want.

:iagree:

Have you thought of making money out of what you are actually doing now. You have a high expertise and knowledge of curriculum (beyond normal!) and you are also an expert in design.

Have you thought about putting togther a formal science curriculum with the research you have already done? Perhaps it could compliament TOG and/or Charlotte Mason.

Whatever you decide you are certainly not going to have a problem doing well in a career.

Becoming a nurse is the hottest job where I live, really any sort of medical job, and there is at least a year's wait to get in, to become some sort of lower level nurse. Dental hygienist and pharmacy tech (not dentist/pharmacist, which require much more education) are also somewhat popular. For something like this, it could help to talk to the local community college or wherever you'd go to get a degree.

I would avoid "bottom of the rung" jobs if at all possible because they are notoriously unkind to their workers and have inflexible schedules.

I would seriously look at anything you can get in an educational or government position. Secretarial or computer work at a school/college. Library work at circulation desk. Dispatch for the police. Scour the ads for the university in your area! Sometimes government positions require a test (if you're in a big city), which means a bit of a wait, but it'd be worth it. From there I'd try small businesses like doing reception work at a dentist's office or something, or starting your own business.

:bigear: I'm listening and researching. My goodness I didn't know about pharmacy but I'm looking into all the wonderful ideas y'all are supplying.

Savannah has SCAD (Savannah College of Art & Design) which means the graphics field here is saturated with students that will accept lower pay and there are tons of freelancers. I already struggled through the high-turnaround field here before staying home. In fact the last two jobs I had I was fired :blush: and that has shaken my confidence tremendously- well that and other reasons that I'm not willing to talk about right now.

I will have joy in anything I'm good at, I'd love to do something involving nature since this has become a new passion of mine but the problem lies in job security and pay, those are paramount against doing something I love.

I have to be realistic about what I pursue, if school is involved then I'll have to do that first (while staying). Just the idea of exploring a different life is very uplifting and encouraging. I need this. I've thought about becoming an elementary science teacher but I can't work out the hours in my mind, or where the kids would be while I'm at school teaching?

Still :bigear:

Wanted to second the tutoring idea. My dh tutored for an upscale place that catered to the wealthy in CA years ago and made 5 times minimum- specifically he tutored in math, science and test prep. And a friend of mine in OH has been running her own tutoring biz for a couple of years making good money. If you could create a niche, seems like you are in an area where there must be private schools that need good tutors.

Jessica,

I know several homeschool moms who are nurses. All work 3 12-hour shifts each week (most work on weekends or evenings). I know in North Carolina, nurses start off between $35,000 and $40,000. I don't know if that's something you would want to consider, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

How are you liking Savannah? I grew up there and I miss it.

Blessings,

Andrea

Jessica,

I know several homeschool moms who are nurses. All work 3 12-hour shifts each week (most work on weekends or evenings). I know in North Carolina, nurses start off between $35,000 and $40,000. I don't know if that's something you would want to consider, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

How are you liking Savannah? I grew up there and I miss it.

Blessings,

Andrea

A single mom friend of mine is a nurse and works 2 16-hour shifts each week. She & her daughter live fairly comfortably.

I've done tutoring, web design, teaching homeschool classes, curriculum development, and college teaching.

Tutoring -- Good if you can get a good number of students coming weekly (or more), not so good if you have to count on session-to-session students. I had trouble getting to that point, but do I know a widow who tutored from 3:30-6 every day and a 1/2 day on Saturday and supported her family (all grown now). That may still be an option down the road for me.

Web Design -- Not so good in my area either. I'm doing some freebie work right now to keep up my skills, but it's frustrating to have the ability and no real market.

Homeschool Classes -- I found that even in my affluent area (Northern VA), people were not willing to pay not more than $50/kid per semester for grade school enrichment classes or $400/kid for a full-year academic class with supplies. Do the math, it's extra income, not living expenses. I teach now through Classical Conversations which pays about the same, but we're involved in that anyway.

Curriculum -- Also OK for extra income, but supporting yourself is iffy from what I've been told. I know several homeschool "names" in the curriculum world, and they're not supporting themselves with that. One makes more $ on speaking engagements (and usually stays with friends and relatives), and considers the curriculum part of the package but not their main "line."

College Teaching -- Your area may be saturated here too, but I've found this and their continuing ed programs to be the most reliable, although I'll end up making 1/3 less this year compared to last because of a curriculum change. If I had daytime childcare, I could make the amount you list pretty easily. With the economy as it is though, I don't know how long that will last.

I also looked into Staples at one point. Their Copy Center pays a little better than most retail, and they said that they could do a schedule of four days M-F from 1pm to closing and all day Saturday.

Edited by GVA

I say do what you know. There is no sense in starting over if the goal is simply supporting your family. You are a smart, talented woman, Jessica. You can do this!

:iagree: I had similar thoughts after reading your post. Anything that requires school is going to be a fair amount of time, stress, and money before you can reach your goal. I get the impression from your post (I guess just because of the monetary figure) that you need to do this sooner than later. As Crissy and others have said, pursue a talent you already have and I think you'll see your ultimate goal realized more readily.

:bigear: I'm listening and researching. My goodness I didn't know about pharmacy but I'm looking into all the wonderful ideas y'all are supplying.

Savannah has SCAD (Savannah College of Art & Design) which means the graphics field here is saturated with students that will accept lower pay and there are tons of freelancers. I already struggled through the high-turnaround field here before staying home. In fact the last two jobs I had I was fired :blush: and that has shaken my confidence tremendously- well that and other reasons that I'm not willing to talk about right now.

I will have joy in anything I'm good at, I'd love to do something involving nature since this has become a new passion of mine but the problem lies in job security and pay, those are paramount against doing something I love.

I have to be realistic about what I pursue, if school is involved then I'll have to do that first (while staying). Just the idea of exploring a different life is very uplifting and encouraging. I need this. I've thought about becoming an elementary science teacher but I can't work out the hours in my mind, or where the kids would be while I'm at school teaching?

Still :bigear:

This post coupled with the other counsel you received to consider tutoring make me wonder if that isn't where you should start investigating, at least initially. Incidentally, my sil (who lived in Savannah for 20+ years before relocating back to Chas last year) actually taught in a local private school there for several years, without a teaching degree. Not sure, really, how that transpired but I just share that to say that opportunities are out there. I really believe that door opened through tutoring she was doing in her home.

I have a BA in English focus in Technical Writing. I love English, love writing and always have, so this was easy for me. Since staying home, I have taken on a few freelance writing projects where I make close to $100 a hour (on a good turnaround). However, work is spotty and you have to search it out. I did, however, do a project one year that took me close to 3 months of around 20 hours a day (5 days a week) to complete and made $25K. If you could do it in 3 mos, then you could have the rest of the year off. LOL

I also looked into Staples at one point. Their Copy Center pays a little better than most retail, and they said that they could do accomodate a schedule of four days M-F from 1pm to closing and all day Saturday.

Hijack.

Really? the Manager of the one here keeps asking when i'm going to work for her. HUH. I"ll have to hit her up for a $$ amount :D (i loved working at Kinkos).

Back to Jessica.

I'm making between 26K and 28K keeping little ones here. I also receive child support (not on time, not to be depended on but it does come eventually) on top of that. That's an additional 1500. per month if it were to come regularly,that is.

All the kids I watch are going into school next year and will have to be replaced and this has it's issues but it was the only viable option in my case.

You are SO TALENTED in so many areas, Jessica. You could open a home pre-school or do tutoring or web design just to name a few. You'll do what you need to do and it will work out very well for you, no doubts.

Going back to school for medical pays well, but once you get into the internships a lot of hours are involved, I'm in the dental field and we had certain hours we had to do our internship and labs, there wasn't any flexibility. It wouldn't be family friendly to do that now. Perhaps nursing is more flexible?

Nursing school would also require childcare for the littles as class times and clinicals are rigidly structured as well.

I agree with the others who said nursing. Around here the nursing schools are offering night/weekend programs to try and make up for the nursing shortage. I have a 2 yr nursing degree, and I work what's called "prn" at the hospital. It just means I get to pick what I work. And I make around $30/hour plus a differential for nights.

It's something to think about. And the options in nursing are endless!

I agree about pursuing a nursing degree. You MUST pass everything w/ a certain percentage. It is tough for some people. There is also a waiting list at some nursing schools. The clinicals are mandatory and at different hours.

That said, nursing is a very flexible career choice. You can work weekends, nights, evening, pt, ft, flex time, prn (when you want). You could enter a LPN program which is 12 months long, then work as an LPN while you pursue an RN. LPN's make about $15-18/hr in the south. I think LPN schools clinicals are all during school hours, 8-3:30. Oh, after you have your LPN it will take 12 months to get your 2 yr RN w/ a bridge progam. Nursing is considered to be a recession proof job.

Personally, I think you should look into sub teaching. There are programs in many states to help people w/ a bachelors degree get a teaching certificate. My dh looked into it, but it's too big a pay cut for him. He's our sole breadwinner right now. However, I am probably going to go back to work nursing night shifts next year.

I'm sure you'll find what's right for your family.

Lisa

"I've thought about becoming an elementary science teacher but I can't work out the hours in my mind, or where the kids would be while I'm at school teaching?"

Jessica, I don't want to be bossy, but I would STRONGLY discourage this for the following reasons:

(1) teacher pay is HORRIBLE. By the time you factor grading and prep time in, you might as well work at a fast food restaurant

(2) there is NO flexibility and part-time is VERY difficult.

(3) You _love_ science and so having to work with their curriculum and standards and tests would suck the soul out of you.

(4) the kids (not all, but enough) can be horrible.

I was a ps teacher--I know.

In your situation, I would go to school to become a pharmacist. Pick a school with student family housing and take out loans (yes, I know they are hard to get right now). I would swap childcare with other student families while in class.

Pharmacists make about 50/hour AND it is easy to find evening and part time work. So if the goal is 500/month, that's roughly 2 5-hour shifts per week.

To become a phamacist these days you need your doctorate. Pharmacy programs are extremely competitive and are 6-year programs.

Ria

To become a phamacist these days you need your doctorate. Pharmacy programs are extremely competitive and are 6-year programs.

Ria

Yep. I guess my perspective is different from some others who have posted, because of my own background. When I married my husband, he had a BA in Japanese and interviewed for some jobs with customs, etc. But there just wasn't a whole lot of money to be made or opportunities, so we bit the bullet and he went to school and, yes, it took years and, yes, we were dirt poor for awhile. But after graduating (not pharmacy, engineering) he was offered jobs making *twice* what he could have before.

So I consider the small student loan we still have and those years of student poverty a small price to pay for doubled income for the rest of our lives.

Jessica is very young and if she's going to be the main provider for two children, and wants to homeschool them, I would think that she'd want to consider making an investment in her education. I, personally, would rather have 6 hard and poor years and then a very high paying, very flexible job for the rest of my life than to cobble together tutoring or freelance work forever.

But maybe that's just me.:)

Yep. I guess my perspective is different from some others who have posted, because of my own background. When I married my husband, he had a BA in Japanese and interviewed for some jobs with customs, etc. But there just wasn't a whole lot of money to be made or opportunities, so we bit the bullet and he went to school and, yes, it took years and, yes, we were dirt poor for awhile. But after graduating (not pharmacy, engineering) he was offered jobs making *twice* what he could have before.

So I consider the small student loan we still have and those years of student poverty a small price to pay for doubled income for the rest of our lives.

Jessica is very young and if she's going to be the main provider for two children, and wants to homeschool them, I would think that she'd want to consider making an investment in her education. I, personally, would rather have 6 hard and poor years and then a very high paying, very flexible job for the rest of my life than to cobble together tutoring or freelance work forever.

But maybe that's just me.:)

Very true, but I got the distinct impression that she wanted to continue to homeschool her kids. She simply could not do that while going to school for 6 years....not without a lot of help, that is.

Ria

Very true, but I got the distinct impression that she wanted to continue to homeschool her kids. She simply could not do that while going to school for 6 years....not without a lot of help, that is.

Ria

Yes, I think that is where all of us casting a vote for seeking something that would not require extensive education are coming from - her desire to still be there for her kids.

Jessica, you could look into becoming a certified pharmacy technician. You don't even have to go to school for this - you can do an online course or just get the books and study yourself. The pharmacy tech job would be very flexible...many pharmacies (retail and hospital) are open 24-hours, year round.

I'm currently a pharmacy tech. I'm not certified - yet. I have the books, and just need to study a bit and schedule the exam. ETA: nursing would bring in more money, but that would also require school.

Ria

Ria

Ah, now I get where you are coming from.

I'd be curious to know if we have others on the board who could speak to this. People I've known in grad programs probably could, in most cases, have scraped together 15-20 hours per week to hs--I know I could have. I know PariSarah does now. But I imagine it would be harder in some programs than others.

That's how I started 21 years ago, with a 2 yr. ADN program. Got a job as a nurse right away, then after a while when back for my BS in Nursing. I was single then, no kids. So I had it a lot easier. Nursing is very flexible on hours and there are many specialty areas to choose from. Reasonable pay unless you work in a doctor's office (but the better hours make up for that).

I'd be curious to know if we have others on the board who could speak to this. People I've known in grad programs probably could, in most cases, have scraped together 15-20 hours per week to hs--I know I could have. I know PariSarah does now. But I imagine it would be harder in some programs than others.

I can scrape together about ten. Dh does another ten. I really, really, REALLY can't imagine working/studying and homeschooling without either family member fully partnering with me, or substantial personal wealth to purchase what my husband contributes to the family (nanny, maid service, lots of eating out, tutoring, that kind of thing). My ILs watched ds10 a LOT while we were in our masters' program. Ds10 watches ds1 a LOT while we're working on our dissertations.

And we're homeschooling a middle schooler with unusual and substantial self-study skills. I'm doing far less hands-on work now than I did when I was a SAHP in France.

On the other hand, OP may find that putting in a few years work on her career WITHOUT homeschooling may put her in a position to homeschool in a few years. That's what I would do if I lost Stephen right now. I would likely put the kids in school/daycare (or move in with my MIL:001_huh:), work like a mad dog, professionally, and pick up homeschooling again after I had a tenure-track job and a book or two published. Then I'd have the leverage to get a reasonable schedule, and the income to get the help I needed if I wanted to homeschool.

And I agree with Julie that putting in those years are absolutely, 100% worth it. It may be an unpleasant couple of years (or dozen years, in our case :D), but once you get out, you get so much more space to breathe. (Leastways, that's what I'm hoping!)

I was a part-time pharmacist for 6 years. I had to stop when I began homeschooling because my hours were never what management said they would be. You would be scheduled to work evenings and be called in at 9 am because the guy you were relieving decided to have the whole day off. Working nights, your morning relief would be late. As a relief/part-time pharmacist, you are the last person to get consideration if you need more flexibility. This was my experience in 3 different states with 2 different chains and one privately owned.

As for being a pharmacy tech, I would really ask existing techs at different stores how the work really is. I know some techs who do everything and the pharmacist just checks their work -- lots of stress. As a tech, you deal with the public a great deal and it is not all pretty. You get abused for things that are not your fault, like a computer problem with someone's insurance company, rising co-pays, etc. You can also get robbed at those drive-thru windows, ask me how I know ;)

There is one thing about being a pharmacist that I haven't seemed mentioned.....it is a doctorate degree and takes 4-8 years to get (depending on the education of the student), if you can get accepted into a program.

A tech program is less that a year.

Both are very sought after in our area. Pharmacists make 55-60 per hour, techs $15-20. 20 hours a week as a tech would pay over $20,000 per year.

Jobs I have done in order to stay home with the kids, before and after school care, I was a supervisor and made $17/hour. Now the reason I got paid so well is I have my level 2 in ecd which means I have completed 1 year of early childhood development at college, and have 20 years of daycare work under my belt. I have also run a dayhome in the past. Right now I am taking a break from childcare, so I deliver flyers 3 days a week and have my name down to take on a regular paper route as well. THe work is easy, though tedious, pay is decent. I make $650 a month delivering 400 flyers 3 days a week, the paper route will bring in another $1000. Not up just yet to the amount you are looking to earn, but I have no expenses like childcare, the kids actually deliver a lot of the flyers while I drive and stuff them. The paper route I will do myself while they hang out in the care because it gets done early in the morning. Between the 2 I will be making $19,800 a year easily boosted by taking on more papers or reducing my other expenses.

I agree with going back to school, I have done it twice since becoming a single mom, but I refuse to go to work f/t again until the kids are bigger because I want to continue homeschooling them. By taking on an atypical job that most people don't want I am making a decent wage while continueing to stay home. Also I pay each child to help me with the flyers, so it becomes a lesson for them as well.

ETA: before I was homeschooling I was working towards being able to support us while homeschooling. I went to school to become a medical office assistant/unit clerk, I got a job working 3 days a week for a ped, and cleaned houses the other 2 days, until I got the before and after school care job. The year I got that job I was able to start homeschooling, for the the 4 years my kids were in daycare/public school I was afterschooling them and on a homeschool message board all in preparation of homeschooling them. A year after I got that school aged care job I had my dd, and spent a year on mat leave, and now do the papers. So putting the kids in school/daycare temporarily while you get things sorted out career wise can really make a difference in your options too.

Edited by swellmomma

If there isn't a community in your area, that could be a good avenue for making some extra money. It might not get you all you need but if you became a Foundations or Challenge Director, it's only one day per week and your children can participate with you. It seems to fit in with your gifts and talents.