Menu

Do you think sewing is a dying art?

When I was younger, so many young people learned to sew. By the time I entered the professional world, I heard it brushed aside as too June Cleaver-like. Sort of, why bother when you can just go to the store and buy it? Who has time for that? If I mentioned sewing, I'd get a "I didn't know you were so domestic".

I know some kids are still interest in sewing as evidenced by some of the threads here. On the whole though, I just don't hear much about it except learning enough to mend things or young people who want to be designers. It seems to have dropped off quite a bit with them.

I'm having visions of an Usborne History book showing pictures of 20th Century women sitting at there Singers/Vikings/Janomes. Boys and girls, in the twentieth century people used to sew their clothes at home....

Although I think that quilting and knitting still do fairly well. My town has a Joanne's, a quilting store, and two knitting stores.

I don't sew very much because frankly it's cheaper and easier for me to buy used clothes or things on sale. I do use my machine for repairs and to make a few custom things like lavendar pillows and hats for my DD and I.

But I am glad I know how. I just traded 22 hours of computer repair work and a tv for sewing lessons for my daughters. My older one is doing very well and is making the water bottle carriers someone on another thread suggested for presents.

She is also learning basic skills and how do make an apron and a tote so far.

She has wanted to learn for some time but my Mom didn't have time and I really wanted to outsource it.

Both the girls and I knit extensively, a new project to perfect every year for gifts. We recently had such fun making the sweetest baby hats. It is what we do while watching all the videos I assign for school. :)

Yes. Since you can buy clothes so cheaply(relatively speaking) people only do it as a creative outlet. Which means far less people do it. I guess that's just how it goes, then. People buy things from the store (food, clothes) instead of producing that home.

Just feeling like the last Stegasaurus this morning.

Edited by Blessedfamily
sp

I don't sew very much because frankly it's cheaper and easier for me to buy used clothes or things on sale. .

Forget used or even things on sale. It cheaper to buy regular off the rack without a sale. Fabic is just expensive, especially if you want decent quality. You can find great fun prints at fabric store, but the material is just so thin and see through. Okay for crafts and kid curtains and kid dresses, but not for an adult. All I want are simple tops, but if you can even find a heavier fabric, it's expensive. And then there is the cost of zippers and buttons and thread and patterns and whatever else you need. By the time you factor in that, plus your time, it's cheaper to just go shopping.

And while Wal-mart is cheaper, their fabric is cheaper as well. It may be the same prints, but they are a lesser quality. It's like thread count in sheets. Higher the thread count, better the sheets. Well Wal-mart's fabric (if they still have it at all) is a lesser thread count than regular fabric stores.

Now if you want to make a wedding dress, or christening outfit, or prom or something dressy and special, then maybe it might be cheaper. Especially for a wedding dress. Plus you have the emotional part of it being hand made by you/for you.

But for basic everyday wear, it's cheaper to shop.

I learned to sew, I mean really sew, when I was 35. I took the obligatory home ec class in 8th grade that taught me to sew, but I never really had an interest.

Then I gave birth to 3 girls who needed modest clothing options. That is what prompted me to learn. What I discovered was I was blessed with an ability in this area.

Two of my three girls can sew. One of them is in 4-H, and she sews more than the others.

Mostly I sew pajamas because those are not so cheap in the stores. If I get flannel on sale, JoAnn's has great Black Friday deals, I can make pajamas for less than I can buy them. Plus the children can pick their fabric which is a lot of fun for the girls.

I think the other poters have given great reasons why sewing has fallen off the radar screen a bit.

Jennie

like making soap or candles, spinning your own wool, or plucking your own chicken (yikes), sewing is one of those activities that one can do if one gets real pleasure and satisfaction from it, but that one doesn't HAVE to do if one doesn't want to. So if some people enjoy it, I think that's great. But I don't see it as a "need."

I do enjoy knitting. I could buy a sweater instead of knitting, but I like knitting. I do NOT like sewing. I have two old fashioned treadle type sewing machines I can't decide what to do with. My sister is a very experienced sewing machine repair person, so I get the occasional lovely old model. But neither of us actually likes sewing.

like making soap or candles, spinning your own wool, or plucking your own chicken (yikes), sewing is one of those activities that one can do if one gets real pleasure and satisfaction from it, but that one doesn't HAVE to do if one doesn't want to. So if some people enjoy it, I think that's great. But I don't see it as a "need."

I do enjoy knitting. I could buy a sweater instead of knitting, but I like knitting. I do NOT like sewing. I have two old fashioned treadle type sewing machines I can't decide what to do with. My sister is a very experienced sewing machine repair person, so I get the occasional lovely old model. But neither of us actually likes sewing.

I feel the same way about cooking. Worse. I HATE it. The problem- you can do away with it to a degree(eating out), but it wouldn't be healthy or economical. After getting married, I realized my problem was partially soved. DH likes to cook.:hurray: I am NOT mourning it either. I'd rather sew a man's suit completely by hand than make Thanksgiving dinner.

I feel the same way about cooking. Worse. I HATE it. The problem- you can do away with it to a degree(eating out), but it wouldn't be healthy or economical. After getting married, I realized my problem was partially soved. DH likes to cook.:hurray: I am NOT mourning it either. I'd rather sew a man's suit completely by hand than make Thanksgiving dinner.

Are you my mother:glare:. That is her opinion too.:D

I think it is dying as a need but becoming more of a hobby. And honestly I think that sewing supply shops get more money from the hobby crowd than they do from the need crowd. Just let my mum and her friends loose in one of those shops and they will feed a family of four for a year:D

I bought a nice sewing machine about 3 years ago. And was set on making my dd cute boutique style clothing. But to my dismay, I couldn't find good fabric!!!! All the fabric that was cute was designed for quilting. It was thin and faded when washed. My dd had to have fabric that I could wash on a regular basis. Then when I did find nice fabric, it was sooooo expensive.

What gets me~I don't understand why the you can't find good fabric or when you do, why it is so expensive. Why can you buy a shirt, out of fabric I would like to purchase, cheaper than buying the fabric alone. The shirt had to have production cost added to the price, which should cause it to be more expensive than a raw product. The same thing about food bothers me. I can go buy processes junk, in which a lot of work was used to get the food to that junk stage, but If I buy the raw ingredients it costs more.:confused:

I wanted to sew, but found it more of an expensive hobby rather than a needed and useful skill, that helped save money.

I sew but it is difficult for me since I have difficulties in spatial relations. However, I am going to have to get better. I just have to. I am having such a hard time finding clothes of the rack. I haven't bought a pair of pants for about five years and they don't fit right either. I have bought a few skirts in the last few years. My one I got from Coldwater Creek is great but rather more formal than I want to wear everyday. The three other ones I brought aren't really any good. THey don't really hang right. I also have a great black skirt with lace for formal occasions. I sed to have more great skirts but they wore out. Anyway, I have to get better at sewing and do it myself or end up paying hundreds and hundreds for tailored clothing.

I think sewing is becoming a less practical skill because of the cost. I don't know about the art thing. I had decided before I had kids that I would sew all their clothes. Then I realized that by the time I bought a pattern and fabric, what could be had at the thrift store for $2 would cost me $15-20 to make. I turned my practical skills development elsewhere.

My mom made most of our clothes when we were kids. There weren't many thrift stores and the ones that existed were terrible. There was no Wal-Mart (which I don't shop at anyway, but still) or Value City where you could buy cheap clothes. It was department stores, hand-me-downs, or sew your own. It was economical then. I'd say it's a financial luxury now.

Tara

Actually, I find that sewing is gaining in popularity. It's sort of like knitting and crocheting -- really taking off as a way to express creativity. It's part of the DIY trend.

There are many facets to this change. Some people are interested in things more along the lines of quilting and home furnishing. Aprons. Tote bags. Softies for their kids. Amy Butler-type things. Others are looking for fashion, sometimes in the realm of making new clothes, sometimes in the realm of re-fashion.

Sewing blogs abound. New learn-to-sew books are being published at an amazing rate, some about fashion or re-fashion, some about making stuff for small children, some about household goods. I have several sewing magazines plopped around the room right now (Threads, Sew Easy -- for my dd, Sew News, Ottobre, Sew Stylish, and Kiki -- which isn't precisely sewing but touches on it and is geared to tweens and teens), but many exist that I don't get. I belong to 2 yahoo email loops about specific sewing subjects (Ottobre patterns and Irish Dance solo dresses) and I'm sure there are more. Oh, and yahoo has fabric co-ops, although I've never tried those. Fabric-selling websites are plentiful.

(By the way, so far this week I've gotten a big package from Hancock's, which had 50 percent off some fabrics I wanted plus free shipping, and a big package from Fabric Fairy, which had a 20 percent off sale ... and after I get off TWTM forums I'll probably head to Gorgeous Fabric which has 15 percent off until noon EST.)

I think sewing is something that takes place in the confines of your home, so people don't see it going on. People see me knit and crochet in public, but they don't see me sew. I like to think that they don't recognize the clothing I make as being home sewn, but, hey, maybe I'm delusional:001_huh:.

Once you plug into the sewing network, you start to see how big it is. It's sort of like people who don't know anything about homeschooling ... and suddenly they start realizing that homeschoolers are everywhere, they just didn't notice because we don't go around with big sign tattooed on our foreheads.

I could go on and on, but I should get off the computer and go sew something ....

Edited by GailV

I agree. It is more expensive to make a good quality item than buy it off the rack. I guess sewing has evolved, then- more for special occasion, hobbies, designers and don't forget making window treatments. I do save money making those.

I'm just trying to decide how much I want to teach my dd. If she is interested, she may discover a hidden talent.

Like many of you, I can't understand why fabric and notions are so expensive. I pay three or four dollars for a spool of thread. It can't be the economy, because the prices have been outrageous for the last decade.

I started sewing less than a year ago, and I only sew diapers for the most part. I've made a few pairs of lounge pants for the baby, but that's about it. The Halloween costumes I planned for the kids didn't happen b/c I ran out of time.

My mother sewed quite a bit. Not our everyday items, but all of our holiday clothes and a few other odds and ends.

I do believe I would sew more if I had a designated sewing area. Right now, that's the dinner table, which means constantly moving things around. Still, I'm sure I would stick to creations I can't easily buy in stores. My time *is valuable and fabric by the yard is not cheap.

How about second to the last?

I have been sewing more lately, in part to make things of lasting quality or to make something unique.

What is so impressive to me, however, is the number of twenty-somethings who are Do-It-Yourselfers. There are so many terrific blogs with tutorials on making just about everything yourself. Among the legions of these creative young people are my best friend's daughter and her boyfriend. Last Christmas Eve, the boyfriend wanted a bow tie so he made one that morning. The two of them have a side income from converting things like old blue jeans into other things (like skirts) which are sold in a little boutique.

The Sew Mama Sew blog has been pure inspiration to me. I use it as a launching pad for exploring other blogs. In fact, one recent entry on stenciling t-shirts caught my son's eye. This from the kid who made a guitar amp last week.

Maybe we've just caught a general DIY fever.

Jane

I agree. It is more expensive to make a good quality item than buy it off the rack.

I can make a perfectly fitting pair of pants with excellent workmanship for less than I can purchase a poorly fitting pair on the sale rack at Kohl's that has poorly sewn seams. And I don't have to spend any time in those dressing rooms that smell funny and are crowded, wondering what the heck my kids are up to while I'm trying on clothes.

I can make a perfectly fitting pair of pants with excellent workmanship for less than I can purchase a poorly fitting pair on the sale rack at Kohl's that has poorly sewn seams. And I don't have to spend any time in those dressing rooms that smell funny and are crowded, wondering what the heck my kids are up to while I'm trying on clothes.

How do you do that considering the cost of good quality fabric and notions? The fit and workmanship, I have no doubt, would be superior. What kind of fabric stores do you find?

The only time I can make clothes less expensively is if I see something I want in a really high in store(Saks and up). That I can make for less with excellent workmanship. Even then, it's "iffy" because we have outlets for the high end stores here.

And the fabric stores? We have G-STreet fabrics. Not cheap.

Edited by Blessedfamily

I learned to sew, I mean really sew, when I was 35. I took the obligatory home ec class in 8th grade that taught me to sew, but I never really had an interest.

Then I gave birth to 3 girls who needed modest clothing options. That is what prompted me to learn. What I discovered was I was blessed with an ability in this area.

Two of my three girls can sew. One of them is in 4-H, and she sews more than the others.

Mostly I sew pajamas because those are not so cheap in the stores. If I get flannel on sale, JoAnn's has great Black Friday deals, I can make pajamas for less than I can buy them. Plus the children can pick their fabric which is a lot of fun for the girls.

I think the other poters have given great reasons why sewing has fallen off the radar screen a bit.

Jennie

:iagree: jammies homemade are less expensive. I also make a great fleece sock from scrap fleece. They're great worn in snow boots and easy to make.

How do you do that considering the cost of good quality fabric and notions? The fit and workmanship, I have no doubt, would be superior. What kind of fabric stores do you find?

The only time I can make clothes less expensively is if I see something I want in a really high in store(Saks and up). That I can make for less with excellent workmanship. Even then, it's "iffy" because we have outlets for the high end stores here.

And the fabric stores? We have G-STreet fabrics. Not cheap.

Seconding the question. I enjoy sewing, but the only things I sew any more are dd's pajamas and t-shirt dresses because she is getting so big that it isn't cost effective for me to make many of her clothes.

Google up Project Runway and all the web hype about design. There are lots of sewing blogs, so many that I get caught in the web and not in my sewing room.

It's a mistake to compare well sewn clothing to clothing purchased at Walmart or JCPenney's. You should compare a well-sewn, tailored garment to a custom tailor shop or haute couture. I can make a wool silk lined pencil skirt for about $50-$75 dollars, compare that to $500 and up for custom clothing.

The one place that makes sense for beginning sewers to save money is home dec.....think curtains, pillows, tableclothes, ect.....it's all straight lines and you get exactly what you want for color and design.

The other place that makes sense was mentioned by another poster, family pajamas. Fun fabric, easy to work with fabric, easy fit and small mistakes are not noticable with PJ's.

Contrary to another poster, items that are worn once or twice, bridal dresses and gowns, are not worth sewing. It's best to buy those and consign them after the event. Items that are to be worn again and again over a number of years are better sewing investments. These items are things like bathrobes, wool skirts, blazers, suits, hats, and dresses. Think ultra conservative anchors in your wardrobe, the little black cocktail dress, the "lady's lunch" dress, some well-fitted trousers, a black or navy jacket....

BTW, the more "off-size" you are from the industry ideal, (today it must be size 2) the more rewarding sewing can be for you. I am a large busted but short waisted, narrow shouldered, front butted woman, nothing in the department stores fit properly without alterations. Being able to make simple alterations is a real money saver.

Sewing is a very handy skill. Even if you never own a sewing machine, everyone should know enough about proportion, fit and contruction to make them wiser consumers.

Once I decided I was going to sew (partially because I'm one of those people who can never find stuff to fit in stores -- the idea that anything from Kohl's would actually fit me without alteration is pretty laughable), I started scouting sales. I buy everything on sale -- thread, needles, zippers, fabric, interfacing, lining fabric. I stockpile basics. Last week JoAnn's had Gutermann thread on sale half price -- I don't need basic colors right now, but I will eventually, so I got some while purchasing some other sale items and using my 40% off coupon on a zipper that wasn't on sale and a 10%-off-entire-purchase coupon. Basic bottomweights on sale? I'll be there -- show me what you've got in khaki and black. I have an online friend who buys interfacing by the bolt when it's on sale at JoAnn's, which I need to start doing. I get the flyers from Hancock's, JoAnn's and local independent stores mailed to me, get email notices from stores, search the newspaper for sale ads and coupons, take a look whenever I'm in Hobby Lobby or Walmart for some unexpected treasure.

Also, I'm okay re-purposing fabrics. When I made dd's dress bag last week (to transport Irish Dance dresses) I used a sheet for the lining -- it was in good condition, but had a tear, so lots of good fabric that needed a home. I have fabric from the days dh's grandmother used to hoard it -- when she died I inherited her fabric and pattern collection by default since I'm the only one in the entire family who sews (I threw out the thread -- I will not use cheap, old thread).

Once I made a purposeful decision to purchase as little off-the-rack clothing as possible it became easier to start finding inexpensive ways to sew. I imagine the same thing happens with people who decide to start thrifting -- once you get started you sort of develop an eye for it, and know where to look when. I don't think I could outfit my kids for $5, but I can get a lot of quality clothes for less money than you'd think by being willing to work at it. Actually, these days I find myself thinking about buying cheap clothing off-the-rack or at Goodwill, and harvesting the notions and large pieces of fabric.

It's a mistake to compare well sewn clothing to clothing purchased at Walmart or JCPenney's. You should compare a well-sewn, tailored garment to a custom tailor shop or haute couture. I can make a wool silk lined pencil skirt for about $50-$75 dollars, compare that to $500 and up for custom clothing.

Contrary to another poster, items that are worn once or twice, bridal dresses and gowns, are not worth sewing. It's best to buy those and consign them after the event.

I agree that a seamstress should compare her sewing to something of comparable quality and then evaluate price, including her time.:001_smile:

I've had a slightly different experience with bridal dresses and gowns. I would never have been able to shell out $10,000 for the bridal gown I made for $800.

Twice I've made prom dresses for young cousins who would never have been able to buy the same quality off the rack. They then passed them on to other cousins the next year who wore them to different proms with a little alteration.

All three could still be consigned, and would recoup much more of the money paid to make them than if they were purchsed off the rack. Of course, the labor was free (it always is with family:mellow:).

It is very nice hear from fellow enthusiasts.:001_smile:

Home sewing became more diffcult back in the 80's and 90's when the fabrc stores became craft stores, but I think it is swinging the other dirction again. I also moved to Michigan where we have an incredible local fabric store chain.

I have saved my family so much money over the years sewing and am thrilled to help kids today get started. I am giving my son's girlfirend a starter sewing kit for Christmas. WEll, that might be so that my scissors is available when I want it!

Shopping fabric and notions is just like any other part of your household shopping. Use coupons, shop the clearance bins, seasonal sales..just like you do with groceries and cleaning supplies.

I can still sew pj's and "designer" play clothes for my grand kids and feel like I am saving them some money.

Knits are incredibly easy to sew once you get the hang of it and there are no buttons or zippers!

I have a standard baby gift that I sew for every new baby. You take a bath towel and matching wash cloth and made a hooded towel out of it.

Takes 10 mins and the cost of the towel and it's a well loved gift.

Learn to sew! It's worth it!

I used to sew all my girls' dresses and my maternity tops. Now it is near impossible to find decent quality fabrics :( For our daughter's wedding I sewed dresses from pretty florals and then starched them to achieve the body they needed to look crisp and twirl properly...what a pain! Where did all those lovely Liberty florals go?? I teach the daughters how to sew clothing, crafts and household items as part of their home ec. skills... along with woodworking.

I guess, like the rest of your post says, that it depends on what you need and wear. I would never wear a wool silk lined pencil skirt. I don't wear tailor-shop clothes or haute couture (at least I am pretty sure I don't ... I don't actually know that that is). When I looked into sewing, it was to make everyday clothes for my kids. Honestly, I wouldn't get any pleasure from doing all the shopping to buy the fabric and notions needed to make my kid an outfit, then spend all the time making it, to watch it get stained the first time they wore it. If I could make an outfit for less than the $3 or $4 I would spend to buy one secondhand, I would, but with kids who outgrow stuff every few weeks and are extremely hard on clothing, sewing would be an exercise in frustration and financial frivolity for me.

Tara

Do you think sewing is a dying art?

It certainly is here. The Hancock's Fabrics store closed this past year, and with the Wal-Mart remodel just finished up, there is no place in our nearby "big town" to purchase fabric or patterns. I think they still sell needles.

My mother always told me to learn to sew, but much to my dismay, I never did. I can barely sew a button. Both my daughter and my husband sew circles around me, but I am strongly considering learning now. I'd love to be able to make simple things like napkins, tablecloths, etc.

I am in the same boat! My dd (6) is learning at our Girls Club, and I think I need to also. She's excited about it, and was told she's "a natural". Obviously does not take after me. She wants to learn to knit, cross stitch, etc.. and I am planning to learn along with her. So many things are lost because of convenience and it's easier to just buy things. Look at canning-even gardening in general.

I started sewing for dd over the last yr--before that, it was mostly crafts or quilts or something, very little clothing.

As pp said, modesty begins to make shopping difficult for dd's, but when I made that first dress for her, I discovered something magical that I hadn't known was there: she *watched* me make that dress *for* her. It wasn't a big deal to me (ok, well, sort-of--I was amazed I could do it, lol), but to her it was "mama magic."

She'll sit for hours & watch me sew & talk to me, &... it's kind-of like staying home w/ them. I didn't think it was a big deal to work when they were little. I mean, all I was doing, really, was feeding & changing them. Anybody could do that. My motto was, "Spread the joy!" LOL

But the first day I was at home, I took ds & dd to run an errand or something, & the conversation we had in the car that day--about God, & who he is & what he's made of, etc.--made me *realize* what I was there for. They weren't having these conversations w/ the day care workers. And even if they were, *I* wanted to be the one having them. I mean, THAT is why you have dc in the first place, right?

Anyway, I've found that sewing is kind-of like that, too, & it builds the relationship, & it builds your history. It's something that has (miraculously, if you knew them) been passed down in my family, not just from one generation to the next but inter-generationally, as well, since my great-grandmother *just* passed away a couple of yrs ago. She told me about tatting lace during WWII. My grandmother helps me w/ tension problems. And my mother reminds me to follow the rules. ;)

It takes me about 15 minutes to hem a pair of pants of jeans on my sewing machine, and probably 45 minutes to an hour if I have to hem by hand (dress pants, for example). Do you know what the going rate for this is??? The dry cleaners around here charge $7 to $10 to hem a pair of pants! I am so thankful that I can sew!

The only things I "sew" are baby blankets. They are NICE baby blankets, though. I have also sewn some baby clothes as gifts (towels, washcloths, bibs, overalls, jumpers, nursery things). I guess for me, it's only worthwhile if its special. It takes way too much time for me to sew anything to have it be dragged through the mud...

Are fewer people sewing these days than in other days? Yes. And there are different opportunities that exist now that weren't options in the olden days (electrical repair and computer programming spring to mind!), and people only have so much time...

But it's not a dying art. I think it's undergone a bit of a revival right now, actually! There are a lot of young people crafting right now. Is it worthwhile to sew yourself a t-shirt -- maybe, maybe not. Maybe it's better that people are sewing by choice instead of purely from necessity. (How many people still churn their own butter -- every time?)

Also - Japanese craft books have inspired a lot of people in this country, and if you start to explore the realm of craft blogs, the authors of which seem to be publishing sewing/craft books in droves, you will see that there is a lot of interest.

PatternReview.com and BurdaStyle.com are very active websites.

Some other fun suggestions:

* Sew Mama Sew

* Japan Couture Addicts

* Label-Free

* Dress A Day

* I Heart Linen

* Chocolate a Chuva

* Wee Wonderfuls

* The Handmade Dress

Actually, these days I find myself thinking about buying cheap clothing off-the-rack or at Goodwill, and harvesting the notions and large pieces of fabric.

I've done this. Our local thrift store has "Bag Days" when you can get a garbage bag full of clothes for $7. Last winter I stuffed a bag with every silk and every cotton ladies shirts I could find in fabrics I liked. I will use these for many projects. Plus the buttons!

I like the bolt of interfacing idea. I've thought of that, too. You have a lot of good ideas!

Sewing - I love it! I learned to do some basic sewing as a kid and have done it off and on over the years. I consider it a skill that is valuable - you just have to figure out where to use it. If clothing is too expensive to sew anymore, make other things that are cheaper homemade.

About repurposing clothes - I made my dd a pair of pants out an old dress of mine. I also made her a dress out of another old dress of mine.

It's true that Hancock's and Walmart have left us in the lurch for fabric, but there's a lot more really quality fabric around--and the Internet makes it possible to buy it easily, even if you don't live close to a good store. Quilt stores have been thriving for 15 years now, and they're now carrying more clothing patterns and a larger variety of fabric. It's more expensive to buy nice fabric--hardly anyone manages to save money by sewing, which is why everyone used to do it--but it's fashionable to be able to sew and you can make yourself some quality stuff.

Go look at new books like SEW U and all the new crafty books--they're aimed right at hip 20-somethings who are into DIY fashion and comfort.

I think it waxes and wanes, like most things that don't have to be done anymore.

For myself, I wanted to learn to sew because I have scoliosis and my rib cage is twisted...

I am shaped like this: | ( instead of like this: ) ( which means that shirts and dresses never fit me properly and tend to twist on my body. I LOVE dresses and would probably wear them pretty much exclusively if I had any, so I decided to learn to sew. So far, I've made 3 skirts and it feels fabulous to be able to draw my own patterns and make something that fits me. As soon as I can get my husband to take my measurements, I'll haul out my machine and get started on dresses.

My biggest problem with sewing is that I live in a TINY house (we can't even fit a small kitchen table in this house). We use a microwave cart as a table instead, and that is where I sew, as well. Needless to say, there's not much room on the table when the machine is there, so I also have to set up the ironing board to hold the fabric up off the floor while sewing. I also can't leave my machine set up mid-project because we use that "table" to eat and homeschool, as well.

For fabric, I like to look in remnant shops. In Mexico, the bolts are often very wide, so I can usually find good-sized remnants of quality fabrics for very decent prices.

I am almost 30 and I put myself through college sewing in an upscale alterations shop. That said... it is a dying art. I still do some alterations on the side, but I am picky. I charge $10 to hem a pair of jeans and $12 for dress pants... if there is more than 1 line of stitching in the stitched pant (think karate gi) it goes up from 10 depending on how many times I have to stitch around the hem. Recently my sister got married. I made my girls silk dupioni dresses with organza sashes for about about $70 each in time and materials. However, they are MUCH cuter than anything commercially available, fit perfectly, and were actually cheaper (a similar dress would have been a minimum $150). I also made myself a 1930s retro dress out of rayon charmeuse. The dress fit perfectly after I did some serious alterations to the pattern. I was given the fabric so it was free, then there was thread and zipper and pattern for less than $5. I think I spent about 6 hours on it. It probably would have sold in the store for $250-$300. I saved there too, even if I charge my time at $30 per hour.

I do make some clothes for the kids that are very high quality and cheaper than the store- I look for sales on good knits and flannel or cord. For example, Denver Fabrics sold and had so much great fabric on sale for $2-3 per yard. I bought several colors in advance. I can get 2 shirts for my son out of 1 1/4 yard of fabric in about 20 minutes... so those were some cheap high quality shirts I made him last year.

:)I'm sad to hear so many say it's a dying art.

My oldest sews and sews. We won't let her have her sewing machine at college -- we're afraid that with sewing as an option she would never do her schoolwork! :) But she solved the problem -- she took up bobbin lace instead! :tongue_smilie:

Over Thanksgiving she is going to work on a dress for her college's formal dance in the spring. She is "borrowing" from several patters but basically she is creating the dress herself.

And she hopes to make her wedding dress someday.

And she is going into art conservation with one goal -- to work conserving 18th century dresses!

Yes. Since you can buy clothes so cheaply(relatively speaking) people only do it as a creative outlet. Which means far less people do it. I guess that's just how it goes, then. People buy things from the store (food, clothes) instead of producing that home.

Yes. You know, the modern life does allow for more time to pursue other things. If I had to grow most of my own food, walk to get water, sew clothes for the family, etc, I would not have so much time to become educated or educate my children, read, learn musical instruments...

On the other hand, my oldest daughter (10yo) loves to sew clothes (by hand) for her dolls and stuffed animals. Mostly with fabric scraps, even tissues. I think it's wonderful to know how to do it. My mom taught me and I have very basic skills and hopefully will be able to teach them to all my kids, just so they know how to do it.

I think it is dying as a need but becoming more of a hobby. And honestly I think that sewing supply shops get more money from the hobby crowd than they do from the need crowd. Just let my mum and her friends loose in one of those shops and they will feed a family of four for a year:D

Hmm. The historical re-enactment crowds are a bit like that too. It is worth skipping lunch in order to purchase fabric that you don't have the skills to use properly yet. Naturally, if anyone hears of a sale on wool or linen, the news has spread around the state within a day! There are some people who can whip up an Elizabethan outfit, but they don't make their everyday clothes because it's not worth the time or money, but will make their own formal outfits.

:)

Rosie- who does have a stash of stuff for that future time when she can sew well; and she doesn't even like sewing!

Edited by Rosie_0801

Yes. You know, the modern life does allow for more time to pursue other things. If I had to grow most of my own food, walk to get water, sew clothes for the family, etc, I would not have so much time to become educated or educate my children, read, learn musical instruments...

The last three lines were a mock :001_smile: feigning for "ancient times" that I actually know nothing about. When/where I grew up people had already stopped growing their own food, sewing clothes out of necessity for their family, walking to get water, etc. I enjoy all of the time my family can devote to intellectual pursuits.

Trust me, I'm not yearning to start my fireplace by rubbing sticks together. :001_smile:

Thanks to you all for your perspectives. I enjoyed them. :)

Edited by Blessedfamily