Menu

My sugar cookies started a fire...

Jann in TX

I was baking my second batch of sugar cookies-- oven set at 400F.  First batch came out perfect.  I remember checking on the 2nd batch about half-way through (3 minutes).  Suddenly the oven's digital setting blinked ERROR then the door LOCKED and the self-clean broiler kicked on.  DH ran to the garage breaker box-- but I knew the oven's breaker was in the outside box so I ran outside-- I hit the breaker just as DD started screaming-- the cookies were now ON FIRE!  Turning the breaker off did not disengage the automatic lock so DH ended up just tearing the door off-- I grabbed the flour canister and doused the fire out.  In hindsight the locked door would have contained the fire-- there were only a few cookies-- so not much fuel..

Needless to say we are now shopping for a new wall oven (microwave combo).  Hopefully we can find one tomorrow that can be installed before Christmas!!!  Old oven was 16 years old... no way will we attempt to have it 'repaired'-- I'm not trusting it anymore!

I used the oven a LOT this past week--I cooked a zillion batches of gingerbread Wednesday and Thursday as DD is having a gingerbread house decorating party tomorrow (10 houses drying after assembly on my pool table at the moment).  I was so looking forward to decorating my sugar cookies as the teens decorated their houses (at least I have 5 trees to work on)...  I've got too many errands to do Saturday (besides shopping for a new oven!)-- so no time to drive an hour to one of my older dd's houses before the party tomorrow night.

--Now do I want a regular oven or convection oven?

UPDATE-- DH installed our new oven/mic last night!!  Christmas Eve brunch with friends is on!

Edited by Jann in TX
update
  • Sad 11

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Convection! 

Also PSA- friend of ours who is a volunteer fireman told me to never, ever open the door to an oven on fire. Apparently the influx of air can make it a million times worse and allow it to spread. 

YES!  DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN if there is a fire inside.

DH was not thinking at that moment--When I saw he had opened it I grabbed the flour canister (for some reason I had filled it just moments before-- I NEVER keep flour in a canister, I keep it in a bag in the freezer!). 

We also found out the smoke alarms in the kitchen were NOT working-- so shopping for a new oven AND smoke alarms today!

So much to be thankful for!

• Like 5

Ours did that a few years ago. 

I was baking a day or two before Thanksgiving, iirc, and my heating element started a slow sparkler-style burn from one end to the other, and then finished with a mini-explosion, burning a hole in the oven wall.  (We, too, flipped the breaker, to no avail.) Whatever I was baking smelled horrible due to the charring, so my family cheered at the prospect of no oven for Thankgiving, because none of us like turkey anyway.  We had ribs or something for Thanksgiving. 

The following week I flew out of town to take care of my mom (VA), and when I came back, dh and ds had installed a new LG convection oven for me.  Gosh, I love that thing!!

• Thanks 1

Convection!  For sure! 

So funny side note, my imagination went crazy on me.  I read the title of your post and I had this flash across my mind of little cookies, cut into gingerbread men shapes singing "we didn't start the fire" and I have no idea where that came from 🤣

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

BTW, many cooks keep a container of salt next to the stove or oven.  That or baking soda do a good job putting out small fires.  

Two years ago, I was at a Christmas party stirring fajita veggies on the stove top at the hostess' home.  Suddenly someone yelled that the enchiladas in the oven just below me were on fire.  I'm not sure how that happened, but the hostess had the oven full of enchiladas in several pans.  She was yelling for her husband who was outside grilling.  (There were probably 20 people standing around gabbing in the 20-30 feet distance between where I was at the oven, to where he was, outside the kitchen door on the back porch. So if he had heard her calling, it would have taken awhile for him to make it to the oven.)   I asked her where the baking soda was, and within seconds, we had the fire out.  Ruined one pan of enchiladas, but the rest were fine. 

After that experience, I keep baking soda handy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On December 15, 2018 at 12:43 AM, Jann in TX said:

Well convection of course, but what you also want... drum roll... is one with a little button to add *one minute* to the timer. I SO love this feature. :wub:

Glad your house is safe! We've had a few fires here, oops, and like you say you leave the door closed and wait... It's pretty nerve-wracking. My stove isn't as old as yours yet (11 vs. 16), but maybe that means I need a new one in a few years too!

• Like 1

We keep two fire extinguishers in the kitchen.  A big one and a tiny one that's the size of and as easy to use as a can of hairspray.  I haven't had any kitchen fires since I was in my early 20's and stopped buying cheap toasters, but I had a couple back then.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:57 PM, Paradox5 said:

so what did you end up getting?

Well-- hopefully Thursday will be the day-- we have a GE Convection set due to be delivered. 

DH will 'attempt' to install it as it would take a month or so for any other service in our area to come do it.

I have close friends coming for Christmas Eve Eve brunch on Sunday--I really NEED that oven!

On 12/16/2018 at 10:25 PM, Danae said:

You were so lucky. Flour dust is explosive. Your flour must have come out in a solid lump and not had a chance to mix with air before it smothered your cookie flame.

At the Mill City Museum in Minneapolis they do a demo of how the original mill was destroyed. Just one tablespoon of flour creates an impressive fireball.

It actually came out as a lump-- so I guess we were lucky there!

On 12/14/2018 at 10:43 PM, Jann in TX said:

I was baking my second batch of sugar cookies-- oven set at 400F.  First batch came out perfect.  I remember checking on the 2nd batch about half-way through (3 minutes).  Suddenly the oven's digital setting blinked ERROR then the door LOCKED and the self-clean broiler kicked on.  DH ran to the garage breaker box-- but I knew the oven's breaker was in the outside box so I ran outside-- I hit the breaker just as DD started screaming-- the cookies were now ON FIRE!  Turning the breaker off did not disengage the automatic lock so DH ended up just tearing the door off-- I grabbed the flour canister and doused the fire out.  In hindsight the locked door would have contained the fire-- there were only a few cookies-- so not much fuel..

Needless to say we are now shopping for a new wall oven (microwave combo).  Hopefully we can find one tomorrow that can be installed before Christmas!!!  Old oven was 16 years old... no way will we attempt to have it 'repaired'-- I'm not trusting it anymore!

I used the oven a LOT this past week--I cooked a zillion batches of gingerbread Wednesday and Thursday as DD is having a gingerbread house decorating party tomorrow (10 houses drying after assembly on my pool table at the moment).  I was so looking forward to decorating my sugar cookies as the teens decorated their houses (at least I have 5 trees to work on)...  I've got too many errands to do Saturday (besides shopping for a new oven!)-- so no time to drive an hour to one of my older dd's houses before the party tomorrow night.

I had the oven lock on me and go to self cleaning when I had a batch of bread in it.  I was able to have it fixed, but it had been wired wrong in the factory and the main controller was almost fried so it didn't last too much longer than that.  My mom also had the same problem when she was cooking a chicken.  The thing was charcoal by the time she found out the oven was behaving badly.  

Update!!!

As of 11:59 pm last night we now have a working oven/mic combo!!!

Now I get to learn all about how to use the beast!  Never used a convection oven before...  the microwave is so much faster than our old one-- so need to get used to new times for things...

- Weird/cool thing I found out... the microwave goes into 'cooling' mode when it times out... this forces the fan...  If you put a cup of water with some pumpkin pie spice and a splash of vanilla in it for 2 minutes and then let the 'cooling' feature continue another minute or so the kitchen smells wonderful!