Menu

Well, that freaked the dog out!

Familia

25 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

My phone was on vibrate so that's all I heard - the typical vibration of a message coming in.

It was an alarm, not a ring or text alert like I was expecting.  My phone was in my purse in another room at the time.  On loud.  The dog is still looking for it occasionally LOL (she needs to get out more)

2 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

Huh. I didn’t get it! That’s annoying. I guess I will embrace the bliss of ignorance of the zombies ever come.....

I didn’t get it either. My sister (US Cellular) got it as did the kid cellphones in the house which are on Tracfone and not on my AT&T account which makes me wonder if it’s a carrier issue. Dh didn’t get one either. I figure this is a sign of who the government wants to perish in an emergency. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My carrier-related suspicion seems warranted - https://heavy.com/tech/2018/10/why-didnt-get-presidential-alert/ - I have an iPhone 7 running the newest iOS on AT&T, but the article lists other carriers and devices that did not recive it. Apparently you can send feedback, but egads it looks like a lot of work to send it all in. I guess I’ll take my chances in the zombie apocalypse. ? When I asked ds if his phone got one, he told me not to worry, he’d send me a text message so I didn'tget eaten by the zombies.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

DH's phone got the alert, and mine didn't. Even though we were standing next to each other at the time and both have iPhones and are on the same plan. Weird.

That is weird. 

DH didn't get it, but there was a company-wide alert broadcast throughout his office building.

6 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

I checked mine- I only have Amber Alerts turned off (after being given heart attacks at 3am on multiple occasions), but Emergency alerts are enabled, so there is no excuse and I'm totally suing Verizon if I get caught unawares in a nuclear war LOL. ?

FWIW--All four of us have Verizon iPhones. DH and I were home at the time. Our boys are each about 100 miles from us, in opposite directions from each other. All four of our phones went off. So I'm guessing your issue may be with the radio station or cell tower that sent the message out in your area rather than Apple or Verizon?

We were at the zoo, sitting on the little train waiting for the ride to start and all the alerts went off.  Kind of interesting as it was a "wave" action, not all at once, and definitely got everyone's attention!  

All of our phones (five) received it.  Republic Wireless phones.

13 hours ago, happi duck said:

I even got the alert on my old phone that doesn't have service. 

We have several no service phones (a couple are old phones that used to have service & two are new smart phones that never had service). None of the phones in our house -- including dd's newer smart phone that does have service -- received the alert. All of us are ok with that. :smile:

Except for DD, our in-service phones are all dumb phone Tracfones.

Both my activated and not activated phones needed me to dismiss the alert. (One I dismissed immediately and the other I dismissed hours later.) 

Was dismissing the alert the case with everyone else?

It makes sense to insure people see the alert even if they don't have their phone with them.

8 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Was dismissing the alert the case with everyone else?

The alert, in addition to sounding, showed up as a notification on my lock screen with an exclamation mark symbol next to it.  I didn't dismiss it other than to swipe and unlock my phone as usual.