Menu

Boys reading 'girl' books - article about Little Women

LMD

Interesting article! I admit that I have given less thought to this topic than the counterpart in relation to encouraging my daughter to read widely. Ds1 read Secret Garden this year and loved it, after doing a little sneer about 'girls book' - it was a very pretty pink and flowery edition lol.

I adore little women and will definitely have him read it next year (6th grade)

It's long, and I don't necessarily agree with every word, but made me think. ?

https://lithub.com/why-dont-more-boys-read-little-women/?single=true

"In the words of Carolyn Heilbrun, it is “perhaps the one fictional world where young women, complete unto themselves, are watched with envy by a lonely boy.” Girls are for once at the center, and boys and men are on the margins."

• Like 2

I think boys and girls should read EVERYthing that is "good lit" regardless of who the hero or heroine is. 

It's just ...sort of frustrating that this is an issue. 

I think I was never really attracted to a book because of characters, more because of the story, and I discovered the characters as I went along. I never really needed to find myself in a book based on it being about a girl. IDK> I do understand wanting that, but...sigh. It's the story that matters. Who it happens to is...important, I suppose, but it doesn't have to be the same sex as me. 

• Like 9

I will say that I have had a time searching for books for my son that are not overly "girly".  Seriously, I found an edition of Heidi that was pink and flowery and looked like it should be rose scented.  I really hate that they're genderizing books.  My kid has loved The Secret Garden, Little House, Oz, Black Beauty...along with Harry Potter, Winnie The Pooh, Treasure Island..I just wish that more newer books didn't feel like they had to segregate.

• Like 4

It's honestly one of my pet peeves as a mother of 3 girls. I asked one time in a homeschool group for a recommendation for a "girly" book for my book devouring advanced reader (seriously, I asked for a book at her advanced reading level that had a female protagonist), and I received a group scolding on making her read widely and "how dare I not make her read ______?" I tried to explain she had just finished Ralph Mouse, Mr. Popper's Penguins, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and wanted to read about a girl, but I kept getting interrupted about how horrible I was for wanting to "segregate her".

Cue the next month's group, a mom asked for recommendations on boy books because her son refused to read any book that featured a female protagonist. The group talked for 45 minutes - "Little Jimmy read every one by __________!", "oh, the new one by ___________ is great for boys!" etc, etc.

I have since then met many families who do not make their boys read anything that has a female protagonist. I've always said since then that Harry Potter would never have been as popular if he were Harriet Potter. 

• Like 5

I read this article over the weekend and agreed with a lot of what it had to say.

I admit that I never suggested to my boys that they read Little Women (although I did for my girls). I just knew that I would get a lot of eye rolls and foot dragging over it and so I had them read books that would appeal more to boys. I do regret it and wish I had pushed them more. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

I read this article over the weekend and agreed with a lot of what it had to say.

I admit that I never suggested to my boys that they read Little Women (although I did for my girls). I just knew that I would get a lot of eye rolls and foot dragging over it and so I had them read books that would appeal more to boys. I do regret it and wish I had pushed them more. 

Thanks for your reply.

I feel like I'm about at this precipice with my oldest son, he has the gendered reaction but will still trust my judgement and read the thing happily. This article made me realise that I could be more intentional about this while I still can. I've also just realised that he hasn't read What Katy Did and I think I'll rectify that immediately...

• Like 2

Just now, Rosie_0801 said:

Jane Austen vids taught my son be a gentleman about inviting people to dance, so hooray for girl books (and BBC mini-series of them,) I say!

Haha awww that's adorable.

My daughter hated them. She hasn't warmed to Austen yet, I got her to watch the BBC p&p because her friend loves them. Got a firm meh. She did love all the Alcott books. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

It's honestly one of my pet peeves as a mother of 3 girls. I asked one time in a homeschool group for a recommendation for a "girly" book for my book devouring advanced reader (seriously, I asked for a book at her advanced reading level that had a female protagonist), and I received a group scolding on making her read widely and "how dare I not make her read ______?" I tried to explain she had just finished Ralph Mouse, Mr. Popper's Penguins, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and wanted to read about a girl, but I kept getting interrupted about how horrible I was for wanting to "segregate her".

Cue the next month's group, a mom asked for recommendations on boy books because her son refused to read any book that featured a female protagonist. The group talked for 45 minutes - "Little Jimmy read every one by __________!", "oh, the new one by ___________ is great for boys!" etc, etc.

I have since then met many families who do not make their boys read anything that has a female protagonist. I've always said since then that Harry Potter would never have been as popular if he were Harriet Potter. 

Ugh how infuriating.

See this article spoke to me precisely because I do make a conscious effort to choose widely for my daughter - I look for strong female protagonists and female authors. I have expended less energy towards thinking about this for my son. He's such an avid reader and often picks up his sister's books so I'd sort of not had to worry about it - but on reflection, he does pick up the more 'boy' books and is starting to feel that girly books are not for him - an attitude that I wasn't on guard for. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

And I think it's such a great book about BEING A HUMAN and growing up and trying to be a better person whether you are female OR male. It's the title that really puts boys off. ?

Why do we allow them to be put off by "girly" though? There's nothing wrong with "girly" even if it's the Princess Diaries or whatever. We expect our little girls to read: Percy Jackson, Farmer Boy, Harry Potter, The Giver, Hatchet, and others. I cannot picture any teacher allowing a girl to not read ANY "boy" books during the year especially because of the title only. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

Why do we allow them to be put off by "girly" though? There's nothing wrong with "girly" even if it's the Princess Diaries or whatever. We expect our little girls to read: Percy Jackson, Farmer Boy, Harry Potter, The Giver, Hatchet, and others. I cannot picture any teacher allowing a girl to not read ANY "boy" books during the year especially because of the title only. 

Yep. The crux of it.

46 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I will say that I have had a time searching for books for my son that are not overly "girly".  Seriously, I found an edition of Heidi that was pink and flowery and looked like it should be rose scented.  I really hate that they're genderizing books.  My kid has loved The Secret Garden, Little House, Oz, Black Beauty...along with Harry Potter, Winnie The Pooh, Treasure Island..I just wish that more newer books didn't feel like they had to segregate.

Ewww. I only buy used books or get them out of the library, so I haven't seen the genderization (is that even a word?) of book covers. Why do people keep doing this when everyone always complains about it in toy aisles/etc? I guess someone is paying for it happily.

• Like 1

I believe that our sons and daughters should both read a variety of literature.  I do give my kids some say as to what they read, but I do have a few requirements and I absolutely require that they read broadly.

This thread is making me laugh, though, because Little Women is one of the few books that I will require for my daughters that I did not require for my son.  He is my oldest with five younger sisters.  He *lives* the story of Little Women.  :)  I did require him to read some Alcott, but I let him pass on this one.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I think boys and girls should read EVERYthing that is "good lit" regardless of who the hero or heroine is. 

It's just ...sort of frustrating that this is an issue. 

I think I was never really attracted to a book because of characters, more because of the story, and I discovered the characters as I went along. I never really needed to find myself in a book based on it being about a girl. IDK> I do understand wanting that, but...sigh. It's the story that matters. Who it happens to is...important, I suppose, but it doesn't have to be the same sex as me. 

I think the entire concept of girls books vs boys books is dumb.  I've never read a book because of that concept and I've never created a booklist for my kids based on that concept.  Either it's a good book or it isn't.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, beckyjo said:

Exactly! I wish it didn’t matter but unfortunately it often does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I think the entire concept of girls books vs boys books is dumb.  I've never read a book because of that concept and I've never created a booklist for my kids based on that concept.  Either it's a good book or it isn't.

This.

We listen to an audiobook at lunch every day and have gotten through some good literature this way.  It has never occurred to me to consider if the book is girlish or boyish.  I can remember my brother and I each getting a few new Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys each summer.  We would read our own, then exchange.  

I happen to love Little Women, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily assign it, just due to length.

• Like 2

Interesting article!  My kids generally enjoyed reading books whose main character was their own gender.  But for homeschool, we generally read classics and sometimes they focused on women and sometimes men and often both.

I will say that stories that focused specifically on either a male or female character were sometimes more enjoyed in movie form (by the opposite gender children) than they would have been in a book.

Little Women is a favorite of ours and my girls absolutely loved it -- partly because we have four girls.  My ds never read the book and even though we watch the movie every other year, he's not too keen on it.

My dh is reading Jane Eyre for the first time right now and is really enjoying it.

• Like 1

My girls don't like "girly" books.  I'm insisting that they read one L.M. Montgomery book this year.  ?  I read Rainbow Valley to them last year and they did enjoy it.  Sometimes I think they have an aversion to anything that might be stereotypically feminine. I really don't care as long as they're reading quality writing and being exposed to a variety of genres. 

I did make my boys read Jane Eyre. They didn't love it, but they survivied. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terabith said:

I have to admit that I never liked Little Women.  I wasn't super keen on many books by Alcott, though.  

Me too! I’ve started it a dozen times but can’t get into it. 

I frequently choose audiobooks and read alouds  I don’t think my kids will pick up on their own. My son is 10 and this is the first year I have assigned him a “girly” book on purpose, Anne of Green Gables. My English teacher friend told me she had assigned it to her same aged son, so I decided to as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I preferred Jo's Boys, but if I'm completely honest I'd probably only make my kid read Invincible Louisa, the biography of Alcott.

I had forgotten that one!  I do remember enjoying Invincible Louisa in 9th or 10th grade.  Their family life was...interesting and unique!

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

I have to admit that I never liked Little Women.  I wasn't super keen on many books by Alcott, though.  

10 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

My son read Little Women although he definitely enjoyed Anne of Green Gables more.  

I liked LW when I was younger, but I read it (or rather started it) again when I was older and hated it.  I think it’s the incessant moralizing she does that drives me crazy. I noticed that in “Eight Cousins”,too. I could hardly choke that book down, but I finished it because I wanted to write it down for a Book Challenge I’m doing.

I read “Anne...” as a read aloud and all my kids, boys and girls, loved it!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

My son read Little Women although he definitely enjoyed Anne of Green Gables more.  

AS a family, we listened to Anne of Green Gables and Anne of AVonlea (the second book)  Over our vacation, my son devoured much of the rest of the series (He wasn't as interested once Anne's kids came along -- but I think those books change in tone as well)

We are listening to Little Women in audio form now. And he's enjoying that -- but we watched the movie friday night (1994 version) and he fell asleep -- not as interesting I guess.

We have also read Heidi together. Though I'm not sure if my son would have gotten through it on his own. There are parts of the story that drag a little.

I mean to do the Penderwicks next.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I preferred Jo's Boys, but if I'm completely honest I'd probably only make my kid read Invincible Louisa, the biography of Alcott.

What is the difference between Jo's Boys and Little Men?  I prefer Little Women to Little Men but I'm not sure i remember a book called Jo's Boys?

Edited by vonfirmath

I assign my boys all sorts of literature that have been suggested to be girly, plenty of female protagonists, but I wouldn’t make them read Little Women. I love the Alcott books and I think some of them are very good books, but I don’t think they compare as literature to the Mark Twain books they are compared to in the article.

I didn't have any of my kids read Little Women,  But they all read books with both male and female protagonists.  I am with Chris in VA.  I have never cared about whether the protagonist was male or female.  The story is what keeps me interested and character is part of the story.  But you can have interesting characters who are male or female.

• Like 1

Honestly, I liked the character Jo more than I liked Little Women.  LMA created one of the best characters ever with her.  That’s why I loved Little Women.  That character has stood the test of time and dragged the book, moralizing and all, along with her.  

Hell, I tried to change my name to Jo when I was 10.  It didn’t stick and Katie I remained.  ?

• Like 6

My son’s 11th grade British literature this year has manly-man books and girly-girl books and others in between, and I want it that way:

Beowulf
Pride and Prejudice
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Jane Eyre
Great Expectations
The Screwtape Letters
Rebecca
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

We’ve read children’s books that have girl protagonists, but not any grown up books that are written by women and entirely about the lives of women and their points of view.  So, P&P, Jane Eyre, and Rebecca fulfil those requirements.  I especially like it that the women in these books aren’t out there *doing* things.  They’re just living women’s lives.  And while the stories are about their small lives and their loves and desire for family, there is so much depth to them.  

Beowulf is out there killing dragons, and Jane Eyre is doing homeschool.  ?

In the past 2 years, we’ve only read 2 books written by women and about women—one was To Kill a Mockingbird, and it was really about a girl and still somehow seems more about all the men in the book than her.  It wasn’t her life that was explored, but only her reactions to what all the men in the book were doing.  

The other female book was Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Gilgamesh, the 1000 Arabian Nights, all the Russian short stories we read, Poe, Twain, Steinbeck, Salinger, etc, etc, were all men writing about men.  

My son has started P&P and I’m not sure if he likes it or not, but he’s reading it. I honestly hadn’t noticed the extreme dearth of women’s novels in his high school years, and even now having only 3 of them be written by women about women seems paltry.  Hmm...I honestly might rethink some of the book choices for this year...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

AS a family, we listened to Anne of Green Gables and Anne of AVonlea (the second book)  Over our vacation, my son devoured much of the rest of the series (He wasn't as interested once Anne's kids came along -- but I think those books change in tone as well)

I'm waiting patiently for the lost book. ?  There is a wide gap in the last three books, between the birth of Jem and Rilla, in which a serious incident during the birth of the twins is alluded to but isn't included anywhere in the stories.  It doesn't match with the timelines of the rest of the books.  Nowhere else is such a large part of Anne's life hinted at except before she came to Green Gables.  So.........there has to be a lost book.  Somewhere.  And I will wait until they decide to release it to complete my set again. ?
(FWIW, Rilla was one of my absolute favorite from the set because it is one of the few books that gives an insight to Canadian life during WWI).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I'm waiting patiently for the lost book. ?  There is a wide gap in the last three books, between the birth of Jem and Rilla, in which a serious incident during the birth of the twins is alluded to but isn't included anywhere in the stories.  It doesn't match with the timelines of the rest of the books.  Nowhere else is such a large part of Anne's life hinted at except before she came to Green Gables.  So.........there has to be a lost book.  Somewhere.  And I will wait until they decide to release it to complete my set again. ?
(FWIW, Rilla was one of my absolute favorite from the set because it is one of the few books that gives an insight to Canadian life during WWI).

I love Rilla too.  She's so real and does so much growing throughout that book.