Menu

Are you a mover or are you rooted?

Once again - and completely (well, almost) unexpectedly, I find myself in the position of possibly having to move (job, economy etc.).

When I was younger I was a "Mover". I mean, it did not bother me in the least. It was exciting and fun to live in different places.

Now that I am older, I feel the need to be rooted somewhere.

How are you all feeling about this and do you think your attitude has changed with the years?

Once again - and completely (well, almost) unexpectedly, I find myself in the position of possibly having to move (job, economy etc.).

When I was younger I was a "Mover". I mean, it did not bother me in the least. It was exciting and fun to live in different places.

How are you all feeling about this and do you think your attitude has changed with the years?

My attitude has changed as I've aged and I've gone from someone who was completed rooted to one who is open to, and even looking for change every now and then.

While I hate the logistics of moving to a new place I thrive on the excitement of meeting new friends, exploring new places and turning a "new" house into a warm and inviting home. Now that our family is a bit bigger I think it is even more wonderful to explore these new places with my dh and dc. My dc help me to see the excitement of a new home when all I can focus on are the boxes to be (un)packed and endless cleaning that needs to be done. Homeschooling allows us the flexibility to relocate while providing a sense of security for the littles. As they get a bit older I know we will have to make sure we stay within the same geographical area so as to provide them with friendships that they can nurture and mature with. So, for now, I'm game for moving again!;)

I am a mover who is married to someone who is most definitely rooted.

I am also a mover who is scared to uproot my kids because they have such a good life here. I find that I am unhappy in my house (a fixer-upper) and neighborhood (unsafe urban context wherein I am in the minority), but cannot face uprooting my husband and kids because the quality of our life if so very, very good. It makes for constant inner conflict and a daily decision to focus on what is good here.

It would kill me to move away from my friends and family. I have very close friends who have done that and they seem fine with it. But starting over and leaving my comfort zone would be hard. So I'm definately rooted!

I lived my entire childhood in one home and had a need for my children to experience the same. Let me not lie; I need to stay in one home, as well. I really don't know if my kids feel the same way, as it's been their reality for their entire childhood(s).

But I offer you a hug in the midst of finding yourself moving again, and I encourage you for being so supportive of your dh's situation.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am firmly rooted.

I grew up in the house my parents bought before I was born.

I moved into my own place when I was 20, then moved in with my husband after we returned from our honeymoon (I was 27).

I intend to to live in this house for the rest of my days.

When my dad retired and they were selling the house my dh of one year and I bought may parent's house and 20 years later we're still here and probably will be for many more years.

I am a mover who is married to someone who is most definitely rooted.

Yup. I'm a mover married to a rooted man. I was feeling very frustrated with our home, and after 10 years, dh finally agreed that we could look for something else. We moved in April. It all happened very fast, and now he says he feels more at home in our new house than in any other house we've ever lived in. I love our new place, and I can't imagine ever moving again. All it took convert me was a big move!

Lori - who is now feeling very rooted.

I have always wanted both. I love the opportunity to move around and see different things, but I want some place I can always come *home* to. Dh and I have talked about how it would be nice to someday have an RV and live in that most of the time, traveling around the country to see our kids or friends or just places we want to go. I want to keep a house for our home base. Of course this isn't anything for immediate consideration anyway, but it's fun to dream.

In 10 1/2 years of marriage...we have moved 15 times, moved across country 5 times, and have lived in 4 different states. We have gotten very good at packing.

Someday, I do hope to be able to put roots down somewhere...I think.

DH and I both come from families who definitely have roots. Both have lived in the same town, or a neighboring town, their whole lives! My parents have lived in the same house for 30 years and plan to die there. In fact, the only traveling our parents do is to come visit us!

I am a mover but I won't do that to my kids. I was moved around a lot when I was a child and I see the effects it has on me now. I want them to grow up with friends that they have know for years not months.

Once the kids are grown, I plan to do more traveling via moving. I like to live places, not visit them :0)

What I am and what I've actually ended up doing are two very different things.

I am a rooted, stay in one house, one neighborhood sort of gal. That is what I wanted, dreamed about and envisioned for my life and my children. And better yet, close to family so that all holidays, birthdays, etc. could be celebrated together. This is what I did growing up and I felt so loved and secure.

Reality is that I married a man that then felt called into the ministry and we have moved and moved. The dc have never had friends they could keep, they have only spent a few holidays with extended family and then it was rough because we had to travel so far. They have no concept of or feeling of 'hometown' or belonging somewhere.

And, as an introvert that I believe has some Asperger tendencies (as in I want/NEED everything to remain the same), it has been very, very difficult. But, you do what you have to do and God gives you grace to do it.

I am very, very jealous of you gals that have always lived in the same place, same house even. VERY jealous. You are SO blessed.

I grew up in the DC area and then I went to college. My dh grew up in the NJ suburns of NYC and then he went to college. After college, dh joined the military. We have been moving ever since. My younger two children like moving. Dh and I wanted to stay in one place by now but he is getting promoted next month and so we are continuing to move for the next number of years.

We moved around early in our married life, then 6 years in our "starter home." We did a "hop" to the Bay Area (San Carlos, CA) for just a year of work and weekend tourism ;) We could never have afforded to stay and buy a home, so we "hopped" to Oregon which is where we had hoped to move when we were first married, but alas there were no jobs available in 1980. We have been in our Oregon home 17 years and I can't imagine moving for a long time. One good thing about moving is that it always forced me to get rid of the junk and lighten our load! I do wish that I had planted more fruit trees those first years we were here....

What I am and what I've actually ended up doing are two very different things.

I am a rooted, stay in one house, one neighborhood sort of gal. That is what I wanted, dreamed about and envisioned for my life and my children. And better yet, close to family so that all holidays, birthdays, etc. could be celebrated together. This is what I did growing up and I felt so loved and secure.

Reality is that I married a man that then felt called into the ministry and we have moved and moved. The dc have never had friends they could keep, they have only spent a few holidays with extended family and then it was rough because we had to travel so far. They have no concept of or feeling of 'hometown' or belonging somewhere.

The concept of "hometown" really struck me. We have been in this area for 10 years. Our son was seven when we moved here, he is now almost eighteen. This is more his hometown than dh or mine. His friends are here, his youth group is here, his whole life (as he sees it) is here.

I would, if I could, find a cute little house somewhere and settle down for the rest of my natural born days with all my books surrounding me. I'm a nester. So, of course, God calls me to missions where I get to move on a regular basis.:glare:

Dayle, I thought of how God stretches us out of our comfort zone when I read your reply. He took a nester (as you described yourself) and send her and her family all over the world.

Could be that I will be stretched out of my little bubble as well. Oh dear!

As a Navy brat, I grew up moving all the time. Since then, I haven't moved once. Married a man who is still living in the house in which he was born. Only once have the two of us talked about moving to a different state and that was over 25 years ago. We didn't. Part of it is the ranch--kinda hard to move that...

Sigh! If we have to move, it will be hard to find new homes for one horse, two turkeys and 10 chickens. We hope to be able to take the dog with us. If we are really - and I mean REALLY lucky, we may be able to take everyone along. I cannot imagine life without my chickens...and the delicious eggs.