Menu

Kitchen Aid owners, please come in.

StaceyinLA

I did it. I ordered a Kitchen Aid yesterday. When we did our remodel, we put in all Kitchen Aid appliances and I told my husband I was gonna HAVE to get a Kitchen Aid when we were done. I came across a great price on Amazon for a discontinued color, so I snapped it up!

I got the Artisan series 5 qt. As much as I love the professional series, I just didn’t want that size out on my counter all the time. With what I will use it for, I think the Artisan will work well. I had a Bosch back when I was grinding wheat and baking bread from scratch every day, but now I just tend to need something more for homemade cakes, homemade pancake batters, the occasional batch of cookies, stuff like that. I use my Blendtec for some, but sometimes there is just too much for my blender jar.

Is the Artisan a good choice? If you have that one, have you been pleased with it? The lady at Sur La Table told me that’s the size they use in the store for everything they do, and it’s great.

I AM interested in getting some attachments as time goes on because I don’t like keeping a bunch of small appliances, but I think I’d enjoy having some attachments that could simplify my life every now and then. What attachments are your favorites?

I never use my Kitchen Aid.  Dh uses it a few times a year.  It was my MIL's before she passed away.  I am keeping it because I am sure that at least one of my girls will want it someday.

I think that any Kitchen Aid is more than adequate for personal use.  I know my MIL really loved hers.

I am curious what color you got.  :)

I got one on a neighborhood garage sale list.  The owner said she never used it because it was too heavy to move in and out of her below counter cabinet.  Fortunately I have a waist high shelf under the stairs of our great room, so I don't have to lift it up and down to move it to the counter.

It's so much stronger than my mom's old Mixmaster that it's a dream.

I was told at Williams Sonoma that the ice cream attachment, which I considered, only gets to the point of soft serve, so I passed.  I have an old Krups ice cream maker that I have stuck with instead, even though it has a big insert that has to be frozen overnight in advance of making good ice cream.

I use the standard attachments--dust collar, whisk, and regular beater--a lot, and the dough hook very occasionally.  I never ever seem to use the shredder, because I have a great food processor for that.  And I have not once used the sausage attachment, although we still might someday.  The pasta attachment is very dependent on getting the stickiness of the dough exactly right, and that's not good--much easier to use my Atlas hand cranked one, which is far more forgiving than an extrusion one.  

So in general, the basic machine seems a lot more functional than the attachments to me.

• Like 1

I agree with Carol in Ca, I like the device, haven't found any must-have attachments. I use the shredder for coleslaw and broccoli salad occasionally. I, too, have the freeze overnight Krups. ?

Lately I use the mixer most often to make 4lbs of pizza dough (4 pizzas worth) in one go, and then I freeze the ones I don't use until subsequent Fridays.

• Like 1

The only attachment we really wanted was the pasta roller and cutter.  We did end up getting the roller and it's in constant use here.  Making pasta from scratch takes me just as long as heating the water/boiling dry pasta.  The cutter is still on my list (I'd love to do macaroni) but we survive without it.

• Like 1

our most used attachment is the grater.

and a paddle with the rubber scraper edge.

what's the wattage on the artisian?    I have an older 5qt- so it's lower wattage than the lift style offers now - but there have been times I've wished for both a bigger bowl, and a stronger motor.

13 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

The only attachment we really wanted was the pasta roller and cutter.  We did end up getting the roller and it's in constant use here.  Making pasta from scratch takes me just as long as heating the water/boiling dry pasta.  The cutter is still on my list (I'd love to do macaroni) but we survive without it.

I’ll admit this is one of the two attachments I want most (I think I’ll likely get the slicer/shredder). I’m DYING to make some homemade pasta!

8 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

our most used attachment is the grater.

and a paddle with the rubber scraper edge.

what's the wattage on the artisian?    I have an older 5qt- so it's lower wattage than the lift style offers now - but there have been times I've wished for both a bigger bowl, and a stronger motor.

The one I bought is 325 watts.

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I got one on a neighborhood garage sale list.  The owner said she never used it because it was too heavy to move in and out of her below counter cabinet.  Fortunately I have a waist high shelf under the stairs of our great room, so I don't have to lift it up and down to move it to the counter.

It's so much stronger than my mom's old Mixmaster that it's a dream.

I was told at Williams Sonoma that the ice cream attachment, which I considered, only gets to the point of soft serve, so I passed.  I have an old Krups ice cream maker that I have stuck with instead, even though it has a big insert that has to be frozen overnight in advance of making good ice cream.

I use the standard attachments--dust collar, whisk, and regular beater--a lot, and the dough hook very occasionally.  I never ever seem to use the shredder, because I have a great food processor for that.  And I have not once used the sausage attachment, although we still might someday.  The pasta attachment is very dependent on getting the stickiness of the dough exactly right, and that's not good--much easier to use my Atlas hand cranked one, which is far more forgiving than an extrusion one.  

So in general, the basic machine seems a lot more functional than the attachments to me.

we were at a friend's who made a meringue pie for dessert. it was rather flat - so I asked about her  mixer. (a cheap one).  I make meringue all the time at the holidays, and periodically throughout the year - and it was *made* for putting air into meringue.  (or anything else.) and it's so fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I never use my Kitchen Aid.  Dh uses it a few times a year.  It was my MIL's before she passed away.  I am keeping it because I am sure that at least one of my girls will want it someday.

I think that any Kitchen Aid is more than adequate for personal use.  I know my MIL really loved hers.

I am curious what color you got.  ?

I got silver metallic. Not my “dream” color lol. I really wanted persimmon, but a refurbished persimmon would’ve run me closer to $300 with shipping, and this one brand new was $229 with no tax and prime shipping from Amazon. I figured since I have stainless appliances and matte black granite counters, the silver would look good. They say it’s metallic, but I watched a You Tube video about the colors, and it’s NOT the shinier silver. I’m anxious to see it in person. If I don’t love it, I could return it and get the matte white or a different silver for another $30 or so, but I can’t imagine it won’t look good.

ETA - I remembered that it also has a little bit of a texture on it. I think that’s gonna be nice to ward off fingerprints. ?

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

The one I bought is 325 watts.

it should be fine for most things.   my old 5qt (which was the 'big' mixer when I bought it) - is 325 watts.  sometimes I wish it was stronger. 

but I'd previously had a 4.5qt - and it was only 250 watts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I am curious what color you got.  ?

IDK why this posted again, but it’s a duplicate.

Edited by StaceyinLA

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

it should be fine for most things.   my old 5qt (which was the 'big' mixer when I bought it) - is 325 watts.  sometimes I wish it was stronger. 

but I'd previously had a 4.5qt - and it was only 250 watts.

Mainly going up in wattage meant going up in size. I want to keep mine out, so I really just didn’t want one that was much bigger. They sell the Artisan mini now that’s only 250. The size is great but I didn’t think it would be powerful enough. I realize 325 really isn’t that much more wattage, but the worker at sur la table said they use it for everything in store without issue. I figure if I wind up wanting more power I can pass it down to a daughter and go bigger. ?

• Like 1

You can also get a kitchen-aid stand for inside your kitchen cabinet.   Amazon and around $70.    The KA sits on a shelf inside the cabinet, and the shelf swings out and brings the KA with it.  Because of the hinges we weren't able to get it quite countertop height, but who cares?   
My friends oohed and aahed when I showed them.   

I got my KitchenAid from my mother because she won it in a sweepstakes and bakes about once a decade or so...

DH has the meat grinder. When Zaycon was still around, when we got 40-80 pounds of chicken, he would grind up chicken to use like ground beef. I want the ice cream bowl, but we have a separate ice cream maker, so not a priority, but it would be nice to lose another motor from the cupboard of small kitchen appliances. The slicer/grater is on my wish list for my birthday, but we'll see. 

My aunt has a swing out shelf from below her island. I keep mine in the pantry on a waist high shelf. 

Mine is gonna sit on my counter because I don’t have any cabinets that would put it anywhere near counter height if I had a pullout for it. I also don’t keep a lot out on my counters. I have one fairly small coffee maker on one counter area, and I’ll have my Kitchen Aid in my big corner.

About attachments though - do all attachments fit all Kitchen Aids, or do they have specific sizes for each size/series of mixer?

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

I have the Classic which was the economy model at the time and isn't made anymore. I got it because of my cabinet height. I had always planned on getting attachments but never did and now I don't cook or bake the way I used to. I use mine basically the way you say you'll use yours and it's been perfect for that. At one time I thought I would upgrade to a higher model but have been happy with the one I have based on how I use it. I think the Artisan will be fine for your purposes.

The one thing I'm very glad to have bought is an extra bowl. I wouldn't even mind two extra bowls. I also have the flour guard about which I have mixed feelings. It is helpful in keeping flour from going all over the area but sometimes it's a bit of a pain to get flour or other dry ingredients into the opening. 

Anyway, I definitely recommend more than one bowl. I can't help with suggestions for attachments since I ended up not getting any.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

Mine is gonna sit on my counter because I don’t have any cabinets that would put it anywhere near counter height if I had a pullout for it. I also don’t keep a lot out on my counters. I have one fairly small coffee maker on one counter area, and I’ll have my Kitchen Aid in my big corner.

Oh, a cover is also nice. My cousin made a beautiful one for hers and then decided it didn't match well enough in her kitchen. It's a perfect match for my kitchen so she gave it to me. If she hadn't I was planning to make on myself. If you don't sew, there are plenty of options for buying one. It just looks nice and is good as a dust cover.

I’m considering getting the glass bowl as a second bowl - I think it would be nice for certain things.

I was just looking at covers! As much as I think I’d love to look at it, at least for a while, I think it would be smart to keep the dust off.

• Like 1

We love our Kitchen Aid.  The 5 qt Artisan should be fine for the average family.  I have a cover for mine and the nice thing is it has a pocket on the outside where I keep the different beaters, dough hook and whisk.    As for attachments I like the pasta roller and we have one of the food grinders (I think with the vegetable strainer) that I have used in the past for canning (we have not done that in a few years).  I would love to get the pasta cutter and the ice cream maker too.  Oh another good thing to get is the pouring shield.  It is great in helping to prevent getting flour all over the place or things splashing out of the mixer.

I've had my Artisan for about a year and a half, and like gardenmom5 I was upgrading from an old 4.5 qt with a lesser motor. I've been very happy with it. It sits on my counter and I don't think I need a cover because I don't mind the looks of it (except if my girls made something last it might still have a fine dusting of flour or bits of cookie stuck in random places as they're terrible at cleaning up). I have no attachments but use all of the three beater things--the paddle the most of course. I did not want a larger one because they are taller and wouldn't fit on my counter. And I just don't think I need the extra capacity.

• Like 1

Mine is pretty old and could use replacing. Dh bought mine for our first wedding anniversary - it is so unforgettable because my SIL thought that was a horrible anniversary gift. But I could not have been happier and I have used the heck out of it for 23 years. 

We have the pasta attachment. I don’t personally use it but dd does. She makes noodles and it is very handy. 

Whenever I do replace it, chances are I will get a basic color because they cost less, but in my heart of hearts, I would love the green one and I want this decal set. The decal can go on any color, but it is especially awesome on the green mixer. 

• Like 2

I have the 5qt artisan too. DH bought that one as a gift some years ago and it still works for our family size. We use it for cookies, pizza dough, and pasta. As far as attachments, I have the standard ones and a pasta roller (which I use for ravioli). I have considered getting the extra bowl, snap-on lid and a fettuccini cutter but haven't done it yet.

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

we were at a friend's who made a meringue pie for dessert. it was rather flat - so I asked about her  mixer. (a cheap one).  I make meringue all the time at the holidays, and periodically throughout the year - and it was *made* for putting air into meringue.  (or anything else.) and it's so fast.

Yes, my angel pies and French silk pies have the awesomest meringue crusts thanks to my KA.  No comparison.

Whipping cream is so fast, too.

• Like 1

DH bought me a Classic when we were dating.  It was white. I replaced it with a cinnamon colored one 4 years ago(Professional).  Absolutely no problems with the Classic.  It lasted 17 years with heavy use.  I sold it in a garage sale.  The Professional went almost 3 years before a major gear problem.  I called KA.  Since they only have a year warranty, they offered to check it out, but I would have to send it there and return($70 for postage) and pay for repairs.  After looking around online, I learned their gears are not make as tough anymore.  KA has such a strong Refurbished business that they want the units back. They want you to just replace it. They offer a discount if you do that.

No way was I going to pay that for a repair.  DH and I watched a Youtube video and I bought the gears and Food safe packing grease and did the fix ourselves.  So far, so good. 

KA are not meant to last forever anymore. 

Hang on to those older machines.:) 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

Yeah I’ve been reading that about the newer machines unfortunately. I wish they had the type of warranty and service Blendtec and Vitamix offer. They surely should for the price of their machines!

I have an old one that is green.  Because when we got it we expected to redo our kitchen in green and white floor tiles.  But we didn't.  No, ladies and gentlemen, we did not.  25 years later our kitchen is still light blue with red counters and oak cabinets.  Because we have remodel inertia.  So.  We have this ridiculous looking green KA.  But it's old so it's reliable, and we are keeping it.  It will never look right but it will always run right.  So there you have it.

The one I got at the garage sale is white, which is not what I wanted, but I had priced one out at WS at around $700-900 so I knew that $50 was a steal, white or not.  I don't expect it to last forever like my old one, but the price was outstanding and it means that I don't have to keep using my hokey hand mixer at the cabin anymore, which is a great relief.  Plus since I evaluated all those attachments, in the unlikely event that I ever bought a new one I would know better not to bother with them.

• Like 1

It should be fine for whatever, unless you're making really stiff bread doughs. I used to have a Pro and even that would jump around on the counter if I made something like whole wheat bread in it. Make sure you keep an eye on it the first time you use it to knead bread so it doesn't end up on the floor. Or just keep the speed lower.

I ended up selling mine because once I started eating lower carb I never used it anymore.  

LOVE my Artisan. It’s taken us through every phase of family life and isn’t too big  to keep using now that our kids are hitting the grown and flown stage. 

I love the veggie purée attachment. It’s great for processing lots of tomatoes. It peels, seeds, and purées super fast. 

A side question about the grain mill: What’s the best way to go? Grain mill for kitchen aid or dry container for Vitamix?

My attachment list is growing y’all...

Mine is due to arrive today, so I’m super excited! I have never, in all my married life, owned a stand mixer. Well, that’s not really true. I had a Bosch for years because of making bread, but once I got out of all the daily bread making, I never used it, so I sold it and my grain mill. I’d like to do some bread here and there, but I can use my Blendtec to grind the grains and make the dough in the KA. I won’t be doing more than a loaf here and there, so I think it’ll be okay for that.

Mainly I do more actual baking now. I’m always the designated cake-maker for the grandkids’ parties (even though I have zero talent when it comes to decorating), or making cookies when they spend the night. I also like the idea of whipping up fresh cream to put on berries in larger amounts than my immersion blender can handle, plus having all the attachments for doing other things. At least I hope I use it as much as I think I will, and it doesn’t just turn into a counter decoration. ?

But I was wondering about the attachments - I asked above, but I don’t think anyone answered - do all the attachments fit ALL the different KAs, or does each have its own size attachments?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I love mine, but I have no attachments. I make a lot of bread, and use the dough hook more than anything. ThOugh I must say it also whips up a nice bowl of whipped cream in short order, too.

Which size do you have? Just wondering how it does with bread, since some have said the Artisan struggles a bit in that department.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, Margaret in CO said:

I use my slicer/shredder all the time--I've worn out two of them. And I use the grain mill a lot. 

OK, do you have food ideas or recipes to share b/c I'd like to buy the slicer/shredder attachment but need ideas!  :)

13 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

I use it for cheese and making coleslaw. It's great for shredding carrots for carrot cake. I've tried using it for potatoes for scalloped potatoes, but it discolors them. I have the newest version of the shredder as they don't make the old one any more, but I haven't tried taters with it yet. 

OK, I'm thinking spirals - sorry.  I'd like to do spiral whatever - zucchini, squash, other?  I bought some store-bought veggie spirals (butternut squash) and I don't remember what I made but just that it didn't turn out well. It was mushy. Bummer!  Like the idea of veggie spirals - healthy, pretty colors, flavors, etc.

Stacey, I bought the KA about 2-3 years ago.  KA seemed to push me to buy the model they had a special on. It was the 6 qt and it was cheaper than the 5 qt.  Looking back, we are a family of 3 and I don't need a 6 qt. I want the 5 qt.  It is huge and I haven't used it that much but want to use it more. It's a lift model in cobalt blue. 

Contrary to most, I actually store mine on the counter b/c like you, Stacey, I don't have a lot of space (counter or cabinet for me).  Plus, for that money it's a "pop" of color and a statement piece b/c KA is well KA!  I may consider a cover now and to keep the dust off but I plan to have it in full view to easily use and enjoy.

I haven't bought any attachments yet but am eyeballing the spiralizer thing. I told Margaret Co. that I'd like to spiral veggies like zucchini, butternut squash, etc.  And, I'd like the new flex beater.  I have a Champion juicer for making frozen desserts and the grist mill attachment for grinding grains into flours and can also make "nut butters", etc.  And, my Vitamix blender. But, I'm not using any of these nearly enough b/c I need a class to teach me how.

• Like 1

Well, mine arrived, but sadly, it had several scratches on the top part (I think the flour lid or whatever that piece is - pour lid maybe - I didn’t unwrap it) was in the box in such a way that it rubbed the finish off in a few places. I might’ve kept it if I could’ve gotten a free attachment or something, but Amazon refunded me for it, is sending UPS to pick it up, and I reordered one in Tangerine. 

Honestly, I really wanted a color, and the Tangerine will match my little orange island in my kitchen perfectly, so since I had to order another, I figured I’d just spend $50 more (because this one had tax and the other didn’t for some weird reason), and get what I want.

Now I have to wait until Monday to play, but I can’t wait to get it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

Which size do you have? Just wondering how it does with bread, since some have said the Artisan struggles a bit in that department.

I think I have the 6 quart bowl lift stand mixer. I’ve had it for ..... I don’t know....close to 10years, maybe. It’s been great. I blew out the motor on a previous stand mixer making cookie dough. This thing is awesome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I think I have the 6 quart bowl lift stand mixer. I’ve had it for ..... I don’t know....close to 10years, maybe. It’s been great. I blew out the motor on a previous stand mixer making cookie dough. This thing is awesome.

I think that’s one of the pro models. Dangit! I’m gonna second guess myself about whether I should’ve just gotten that one!

Just now, StaceyinLA said:

I think that’s one of the pro models. Dangit! I’m gonna second guess myself about whether I should’ve just gotten that one!

Yeah..... yeah you might. Especially if you want it to make bread or double batches of cookies.

Well I don’t really bake bread often, and I know I can still use the Artisan to do small batches of bread (like a couple loaves’ worth). I just watched a good comparison of the two, and although I really think the Artisan would do for us, it’s just not that much more to do the pro, so I wonder if I should cancel the Artisan and get the darn pro. I guess the biggest issue is size. I just don’t know if I want one that big out on my counter all the time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

That's what I have in cobalt blue, I believe.  It is awesome.  But, let me ask you.  Do you use ALL 6 qts?  I feel like my lift 6 qt is sooooooo BIG.  When I look at my recipe in the bowl it barely fills it up and I feel like it's a waste.  What/how much do you make Krissi?

Stacey, So glad you spent the extra for what sounds like a beautiful color!  IMO, KA "is" a statement appliance.  Like you Vitamix!  :) 

If you know you are going to use it, I think it is quite reasonable to cancel the order and order the pro.  The motor is big enough to handle the attachments without issues.  I use it nearly everyday when I am on a cooking kick.  It dices, slices, shreds, grates, makes spirals and peels for me.   wonderful if you do a lot with veggies.

• Like 1

I left my order as is. I’ve never owned a stand mixer, so honestly, even though it’s not much more investment to go with the bigger one, I think I’m gonna start with the Artisan and see how much I really use it. I don’t have a big kitchen with a lot of counter space, so I’m really nervous about having one that is as big as the pro. If I wind up needing that down the road, I can always gift this one to one of my daughters and go bigger. At that point, I’ll at least be used to having one sitting on my counter, so maybe going bigger won’t seem as crazy.

Now I AM super pumped about it getting here so I can make something in it!

• Like 2