Menu

Appetizers that don't need to be fussed with at wedding.

Tap

DD is getting married on Saturday. I thought there was 20 minutes between ceremony and dinner, but the program has it set at 35 minutes (for pictures). I was originally planning some nice fruit/veggie trays but now I think I may need more sustenance. Ceremony at 330 and dinner at 430.  Dinner is Texas style BBQ. 

I don't want to fuss with pulling things out of the oven or trying to keep cheese cubes from drying out.  Any suggestions?  It is an outdoor wedding and the forecast keeps changing daily from rain, to cloudy to clear skies and sun (upper 70s). Ugh!  

I agree that something a little heavier is a good idea. 

My immediate thought was cheese since cheese and fruit go so nicely together.  I've never noticed that cheese dries out quickly though.

You could also add a hearty dip for the veggies.  Something like hummus or something else with some protein.  (How else will anyone pass the bean dip? ? )

Best wishes!

Taco and/or veggie rollups

Taco

Mix 1 box cream cheese, softened, with 1 can refried beans and 1 packet taco seasoning mix.  Warm tortilla and spread on cream cheese mixture.  Sprinkle with finely shredded cheese and roll up.  Chill at least an hour and cut into pinwheels.

Veggie roll ups

Mix 1 box cream cheese with 1 packet ranch dressing mix (or use veggie cream cheese) and spread on warmed tortillas.  Sprinkled with finely chopped veggies.. broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, etc.  Sprinkle with cheese and cut up into pinwheels after they chill.

These are a bit more substantial but are easy to make ahead and pull out as needed.

30 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I agree that something a little heavier is a good idea. 

My immediate thought was cheese since cheese and fruit go so nicely together.  I've never noticed that cheese dries out quickly though.

You could also add a hearty dip for the veggies.  Something like hummus or something else with some protein.  (How else will anyone pass the bean dip? ? )

Best wishes!

If it is sunny, the cheese can get weepy and dry.   The trays will be in fun sun for an hour. If it is overcast, it won't be a problem, so I may keep it in mind as the day nears. I agree that cheese is usually a great way to go for appetizers.

Hummus is a great idea! I will pick some up today!  I was trying to avoid potato chips (since thick cut will be put out with BBQ) but pita chips will be a great addition.

17 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Taco and/or veggie rollups

Taco

Mix 1 box cream cheese, softened, with 1 can refried beans and 1 packet taco seasoning mix.  Warm tortilla and spread on cream cheese mixture.  Sprinkle with finely shredded cheese and roll up.  Chill at least an hour and cut into pinwheels.

Veggie roll ups

Mix 1 box cream cheese with 1 packet ranch dressing mix (or use veggie cream cheese) and spread on warmed tortillas.  Sprinkled with finely chopped veggies.. broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, etc.  Sprinkle with cheese and cut up into pinwheels after they chill.

These are a bit more substantial but are easy to make ahead and pull out as needed.

These roll ups would probably work great.  Have you tried different Taco mixes.....any suggestions on brand?  Or is is better to make a fresh blend?

22 minutes ago, Katy said:

Raspberries stuffed with mini dark chocolate chips was my favorite thing like that at my wedding, but it took hours to do the night before. .

Here's some ideas for things that are easy to do yourself: http://www.party-recipes-and-ideas.com/appetizer-recipes.html

One time for a shower, I hand pipped chocolate truffle into raspberries.  For some reason at the shower they weren't really noticed.  After the shower when we were cleaning up, the clean up crew had a most delicious treat waiting for us.  LOL Everyone was raving about them, and no one remembered seeing the on the table.  It was totally worth it, for the clean up to have an extra special treat at the end. 

• Like 1

You are only adding 15 minutes to the original planned time, is that right?  I don't think that is enough time to worry about.   I'd stick with the fruit/veggie trays as planned and make sure there is plenty to drink.  

When I go to a wedding, I don't expect to be fed immediately, but I do want something to drink, particularly if it's hot, and even more particularly when my children were young.  

• Like 8

Cheese cubes don't dry out fast like slices do, and you can put heaps of them, maybe 3-4 different kinds, on a platter with crackers in the middle.  Serve with toothpicks.

Also there are the classic cream cheese based services:

--Cream cheese brick, jar of garlic/onion compote poured onto and dripping down the sides of it, served with triscuits

--Cream cheese brick, jar of grape jelly poured onto and dripping down the sides of it, served with pita chips

--Cream cheese brick, cocktail sauce poured onto and dripping down the sides of it, served with table water crackers and little chunks of deli beef

3 hours ago, Tap said:

These roll ups would probably work great.  Have you tried different Taco mixes.....any suggestions on brand?  Or is is better to make a fresh blend?

Honestly I use Aldi taco seasoning mix, Aldi refried beans, Aldi cream cheese, and Aldi finely shredded cheese.  I have never come home with any left from potlucks, get together, etc.

13 hours ago, marbel said:

You are only adding 15 minutes to the original planned time, is that right?  I don't think that is enough time to worry about.   I'd stick with the fruit/veggie trays as planned and make sure there is plenty to drink.  

When I go to a wedding, I don't expect to be fed immediately, but I do want something to drink, particularly if it's hot, and even more particularly when my children were young.  

13 hours ago, TechWife said:

That's an early dinner, I would not add anything at all. If people are outside, just make sure beverages are available. People really can go quite a long time between meals and snacks.

13 hours ago, regentrude said:

I would expect adults to be able to last an hour in the afternoon without eating. Dinner at 4:30 is extremely early; I think even fruit and veggies would not be necessary, since this is not a time when people would normally be eating.

Yep, I agree that food is not needed.......but I am concerned about people starting in on the alcohol on an empty stomach for 45 minutes before eating. LOL  I am not in control of the alcohol for this wedding (the homeowner/ hosts are).  I am providing flavored sodas, fruit infused waters, handmade lemonade, and punch which will be made easily available and I hope that people gravitate towards those items since it is 3-4pm.  But, from what I have been told,  alcohol is a bit part family dinners in the hosts circle (they home brew) so I expect that people will follow normal customs.  It only takes one drunk to ruin a wedding, So I will make sure food is available even though it doesn't need to be.

• Like 1

Is rowdy drunkenness part of the hosts’ family culture? My FOO drinks a lot of alcohol, too, especially at big family celebrations. My aunt and uncle make their own wines and always bring bottles to family dinners. However, none of my family would be drunk in that 45 minute gap. 

If you think that food is needed, I’d go with various dips to complement the fruit and veg trays. Or maybe one tray each of fruit/veg and one tray of those taco pinwheels mentioned upthread (well, everything scaled up for the number of guests, of course). I would be afraid that if the guests ate too much appetizer they wouldn’t be hungry for the meal. Good luck with everything. 

• Like 1

If you can have electricity, I'd do a crab dip or an artichoke dip along with pita "points" (toasted pita) or simply slices of French bread. (Electricity needed to keep the dip warm either on a warming tray or a small crock pot.) 

The dip can be made ahead of time and simply kept warm. 

Another great one is sausage balls (also need to be kept warm) with a mustard dipping sauce. 

4 hours ago, brehon said:

Is rowdy drunkenness part of the hosts’ family culture? My FOO drinks a lot of alcohol, too, especially at big family celebrations. My aunt and uncle make their own wines and always bring bottles to family dinners. However, none of my family would be drunk in that 45 minute gap. 

If you think that food is needed, I’d go with various dips to complement the fruit and veg trays. Or maybe one tray each of fruit/veg and one tray of those taco pinwheels mentioned upthread (well, everything scaled up for the number of guests, of course). I would be afraid that if the guests ate too much appetizer they wouldn’t be hungry for the meal. Good luck with everything. 

The wedding/reception is 5 hours so it in't just the 45 minutes, but what path it sets people up on.  Since people are traveling from out of state, and the host is the patriarch/matriarch of the family, it is likely they will stay to visit at this hosts house after the wedding. The last wedding they hosted with at least 20 of the same guests (albeit several years ago)  had several intoxicated people who jumped into the pool with their clothes on.  I don't know how rowdy it got since I wasn't there, but a certain level of drunkenness did affect people's actions.  We obviously don't want a repeat.

• Like 1

Well, if their family does stuff like that having 4 appetizers vs 2 in that 35 minute gap isn't likely to make a huge difference.  And if you're not actually hosting there is only so much you can do.  I think cheese and fruit tray are great.  A hummus tray with pita and veggies could be good.  If the weather is going to be warm and it's going to be outdoors oriented, I would probably avoid hot appetizers.  Especially if you're serving dinner at 4:30.  Can you have water pitchers on the dinner tables?  

I think hard cheese cubes are fine to sit for a while in the shade.  

Otherwise, I'd working on finding a sense of zen with not being able to control people or the situation and just enjoy the day and your daughter!  Hope it goes beautifully!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Well, if their family does stuff like that having 4 appetizers vs 2 in that 35 minute gap isn't likely to make a huge difference.  And if you're not actually hosting there is only so much you can do.  I think cheese and fruit tray are great.  A hummus tray with pita and veggies could be good.  If the weather is going to be warm and it's going to be outdoors oriented, I would probably avoid hot appetizers.  Especially if you're serving dinner at 4:30.  Can you have water pitchers on the dinner tables?  

Otherwise, I'd working on finding a sense of zen with not being able to control people or the situation and just enjoy the day and your daughter!  Hope it goes beautifully!

I agree. I was just looking for ideas on different things to share other than veggies.  My family will be happy with veggie trays and waiting till dinner. I do not know the other half of the family at all, just heard stories. I know some people don't really like raw veggies, so was just looking for a couple of ideas on something else, hopefully something savory to serve.  It isn't a big deal, but just a quick easy way to encourage a bit of snack with the drinks.  There will be lots of water in pre-poured glasses and self serve pictures as well.   Lots of fun other non-alcoholic drinks too.  I have settled on hummus, olives, pita chips, veggies and fruit.  That will be plenty and will allow people something to snack on throughout the night as well once dinner is put away. 

I hope for zen too. LOL  It will be great, but after years of careering and being a bartender in my early 20s, I know how a bit of strategy with the preparations can make a big difference in the course of the night.. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rachel said:

How was the wedding?

Absolutely gorgeous!  It was a bit warm for our area.  I think around 85 but beautiful and sunny.  The food was amazing and the appetizers were gobbled up.  :0)  

Thanks for everyone's help deciding. I appreciate it!

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Tap said:

Absolutely gorgeous!  It was a bit warm for our area.  I think around 85 but beautiful and sunny.  The food was amazing and the appetizers were gobbled up.  :0)  

Excellent! I've been crazy busy and have only be on the boards here and there recently, so I totally missed that this was coming up. Congrats to you and dd (oh, and the groom, I suppose, lol). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, katilac said:

Excellent! I've been crazy busy and have only be on the boards here and there recently, so I totally missed that this was coming up. Congrats to you and dd (oh, and the groom, I suppose, lol). 

Thank you!!!  She got engaged when the boards were down.  They were planning a year from now, but moved it up because her finance is going into the Air Force.  It was a whirlwind of a few months planning, but it helped us focus on what was important to them. Every one commented on how lovely and low stress it was and that is a perfect way to spend warm spring  day  (low stress for them.....not me LOL it was a busy day!)

My son officiated it. It was his first marriage ceremony so it was so touching that it was for his sister. He did amazing! He is a pastor so it will likely be only the beginning of this part of his job but none will ever compare to this one. 

• Like 4