Menu

Superbowl ads

happi duck

Tide, NFL dancing, and the two Ram commercials (the first totally dissed the Vikings and the second with the MLKJr speech).

(ETA:  The speech didn't bother me, and I hope people listened to the words and more might take them to heart.  I'd rather have that trying to sell me something than sex--for example, I disliked the Alexa commercial because of the whole "set the mood" portion--it would've been funny to me without that, and I know it was supposed to be funny, but to me it would've been funnier without it.)  

Edited by JudoMom

Loved the Dirty Dancing one and Alexa. :laugh:

Did anyone else find the T-mobile one with the babies really freaking odd? :huh:   Dh and I were sitting here watching as they went through each baby, talking about possibilities and choice and then looked at each other at the end with a :confused1:  look on each of our faces. 

• Like 1

The Budweiser water one was good but better if you know the back story. Apparently whenever there is a natural disaster, Budweiser shuts down the beer manufacturing facilities and run the plants 24/7 to fill the cans up with water, which they ship out to affected areas. They've been doing it for 20 years and never promoted it. Pretty cool.

• Like 9

Hands-down favorite at our house was the series of Tide Ads, followed closely by the Dodge Ram commercial with the Vikings, except I thought it both mean and funny. I mean, we all couldn't help laughing, at the same time as I felt guilty for laughing, 'cause it was just mean. And sad. And mean. But hilarious. 

The pre-game had our 2 favorite Bud commercials with the king (one themed for each team; they were hilarious), and a really moving MassMutual commercial about what kind of world we live in, championing the various unsung heroes, including a feature of the Cajun Navy that came to help in Harvey, which literally made me cry. 

Those Tide Ads, though....that was awesome. 

Loved the Dirty Dancing one and Alexa. :laugh:

Did anyone else find the T-mobile one with the babies really freaking odd? :huh:   Dh and I were sitting here watching as they went through each baby, talking about possibilities and choice and then looked at each other at the end with a :confused1:  look on each of our faces. 

While a Nirvana song is gently plucked on an acoustic guitar as background music.

The Coke Groove Ad was the worst in my view though I think the MLK Dodge ad was close. It was distasteful they used his speech and his voice to sell trucks.

I saw very few ads - the Dodge ad is the only one I really remember. Horrible. As soon as I saw it I was interested to see what it was about & when I saw what it was for I thought yuck, how inappropriate. 

• Like 3

The Coke Groove Ad was the worst in my view though I think the MLK Dodge ad was close. It was distasteful they used his speech and his voice to sell trucks.

Yeah, and actually all the images they used with the speech made it worse.  Part way through I said to dh, "I think this might be an ad for a truck"  and he said "I'm afraid so."  I still thought surely they were not going to try and sell me a truck that way.  But they did.

We were both surprised it got past the test audiences.

• Like 2

The dirty dancing one was my favorite, by far.

Can someone explain the Viking one, I don't get it? I had a screaming baby in my lap so may have missed it, or missed what they were making fun of or something. 

I thought the T-Mobile one was trite and bland...all babies are born equal, yeah, everyone knows that. But apparently a bunch of people are canceling their t-mobile accounts over it, so guess it was more controversial than I realized. Which makes me sad. 

I didn't find the Tide ones that funny, but again, cranky baby in my lap during much of it. (she was asleep by the Dirty Dancing one, lol)

Oh, and the Paralympics one was great. 

Can someone explain the Viking one, I don't get it? I had a screaming baby in my lap so may have missed it, or missed what they were making fun of or something. 

The game was in Minneapolis, where the Minnesota Vikings play. They were ready to go to the Super Bowl but they lost to the Eagles. I bet Dodge had an alternative ending if the Vikings were actually part of the game.

The game was in Minneapolis, where the Minnesota Vikings play. They were ready to go to the Super Bowl but they lost to the Eagles. I bet Dodge had an alternative ending if the Vikings were actually part of the game.

Here's the commercial:

Honestly, it was one of those ones that was really funny after the fact.  We were watching and understood the play on the Vikings going to the Super Bowl, but then the end came where they had to turn around, and we all looked at each other and just started laughing.  It was a really funny dig on the Vikings.   (Sorry Viking fans.)

• Like 3

Here's the commercial:

Honestly, it was one of those ones that was really funny after the fact.  We were watching and understood the play on the Vikings going to the Super Bowl, but then the end came where they had to turn around, and we all looked at each other and just started laughing.  It was a really funny dig on the Vikings.   (Sorry Viking fans.)

I was a little sad the Vikings didn't go though I'm not normally a fan. The last play of their game against the Saints was something I'm sure most players dream about and never experience. But it was a funny ad.

Loved the Dirty Dancing and Alexa ads. Didn't even pay attention to the Tide ads, probably because I'm sick about hearing stories of teens eating Tide pods.  I'm sure they wanted the ads BECAUSE of the stupid tide pod frenzy but it didn't catch my attention. 

Loved the Dirty Dancing and Alexa ads. Didn't even pay attention to the Tide ads, probably because I'm sick about hearing stories of teens eating Tide pods.  I'm sure they wanted the ads BECAUSE of the stupid tide pod frenzy but it didn't catch my attention. 

The Tide ads were probably so popular because of the actor they chose to play in them.  He's so well-known as being the no-nonsense sheriff from Stranger Things and to see him doing Tide ads is just funny.  It wouldn't have worked as well with a different actor.

• Like 4

The Tide ads were probably so popular because of the actor they chose to play in them.  He's so well-known as being the no-nonsense sheriff from Stranger Things and to see him doing Tide ads is just funny.  It wouldn't have worked as well with a different actor.

Yes, this. 

Also you had to have seen the first ad for the rest to be funny. If you missed the first one, the rest were just odd. 

I've never seen Stranger Things so that part was lost on me.  But I can see where that would have made them funny.