Menu

So why couldn't they do this in the first place? flu vaccine related

SparklyUnicorn

So now they lifted the ban on pharmacists giving flu vaccines to kids (because of an epidemic).  It's SO MUCH EASIER for me to get my kids to a pharmacy than making appointments.  Not to mention if we do it in a pharmacy the insurance pays 100%.  Otherwise I have to pay for them in a doctor's office. 

My kids have physicals in two weeks.  I am on the fence about going there though because the thought of possibly exposing them to germs....  Then again we are in plenty of germ filled places regularly. 

• Like 5

YES!  The years we haven't gotten the vax we were busy and/or had a bug in the earlier fall and then it was full on flu season and I refuse to go to the peds unless necessary during the worst months.  We've had the flu, so I wouldn't go for the actual flu unless there were complications.    We got my son tamiflu last time and that did absolutely nothing.  I have elderberry in my fridge all winter the past couple years.

The last couple years we've been able to do at Target clinic which is pretty easy if you get in there right when they open.  We each got $5 gift cards to use when we got it too.  Real selling point for my teens.  :lol:  Anyway - absolutely make it easier.  Popping into a pharmacy would be even easier.  

• Like 2

I have a new insurance company which I haven't checked, but my previous health insurance company would not pay for ME to get a flu shot at the pharmacy--had to go to my doctor. Annoying. This year I had a doctor's appointment in September and they already had flu vaccine which they offered me, so that was easy.

• Like 1

Why did they make everyone jump through hoops in the first place? Seems like something they should make relatively easy. 

ETA: LOL, just realized my comment basically copied the title of the thread. Whoops!

Anyhoo, I always hated making appointments for my kids rather than just popping in like I do for myself. 

Edited by Georgiana Daniels
  • Like 1

We have been getting them at the "Minute Clinic" for years now. They are inside CVS and they are anything but a "minute" clinic. However they now have online check in so it is a bit better then when I waited for 3 hours for a flu vaccine for me and my boys (no I am not joking). 

Our insurance specifically does not cover anything from CVS.

Not sure we have any minute clinics here anyway.

Pharmacists are not trained in patient care or IM injections. I assume that the pharmacy probably has a training course for them.

Once I was waiting for meds in a Walgreen's and saw (HEARD) the pharmacist give a very elderly wheelchair-bound woman a flu shot. He hit the bone, as she had little muscle in her upper arm, and he used a standard 1.5" needle. She cried.

Unless it changed in the past few years (and it might have) pharmacists in Florida can only give the vaccine to those over 18. Until ds turned 18 we had to take him to the doctor to get his shot. Occasionally Walmart would have nurses come in to administer the flu and pneumonia vaccines and if we paid attention to when they were there, he could get it then. 

Pharmacists are not trained in patient care or IM injections. I assume that the pharmacy probably has a training course for them.

Once I was waiting for meds in a Walgreen's and saw (HEARD) the pharmacist give a very elderly wheelchair-bound woman a flu shot. He hit the bone, as she had little muscle in her upper arm, and he used a standard 1.5" needle. She cried.

Depends on when they graduated. Certainly recent PharmD grads are getting training before and during their internships.

• Like 2

As others have stated, most states do allow it.

I work in pharmacy and i can tell you, Most pharmacists dread giving shots to little kids.  They will do it with a smile because they are forced to by their employers, but the vast majority hate giving kids shots. Most people who went to pharmacy school, didn't intend to end up in direct patient care. Pharmacies giving shots is relatively new idea.   LIttle kids usually take more time to settle in, jerk around unpredictably and cry.  Over 8 is usually ok, but quite a few pharmacists in our company refuse to give them below 8yo, because they truly are afraid of injuring the kid, even though they can get in trouble for refusing.  It is dangerous and poor patient care to force a pharmacist to give a shot to someone they don't feel comfortable/safe giving it to. Some kids are better than adults....but for the most part they act their age. 

• Like 3

I remember that was a pain when a few of mine were under 18.

Now our new doctor has immunization hours several times a week where you can walk in, get your shots and walk out....literally I think we were there for 10 minutes for 2 of mine. So handy.

• Like 2

I'm not sure the law here. I know that dh had a flu shot "clinic" at his work and I couldn't bring the kids to that and I had to bring them in for an appt because it had been over a year since they had been seen (the last time I took them for a well check the FP said don't worry about bringing them in unless they have an issue). That was a big pain because to do all the kids I had to wait until they had a block of time to fit them all since it was a regular appt. We ended up having to wait 2 wks to get them in, which made me nervous with my FIL having cancer, thankfully, we didn't catch the flu in that time.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the law here. I know that dh had a flu shot "clinic" at his work and I couldn't bring the kids to that and I had to bring them in for an appt because it had been over a year since they had been seen (the last time I took them for a well check the FP said don't worry about bringing them in unless they have an issue). That was a big pain because to do all the kids I had to wait until they had a block of time to fit them all since it was a regular appt. We ended up having to wait 2 wks to get them in, which made me nervous with my FIL having cancer, thankfully, we didn't catch the flu in that time.

They do that at my husband's work too.

I work in pharmacy and i can tell you, Most pharmacists dread giving shots to little kids.  They will do it with a smile because they are forced to by their employers, but the vast majority hate giving kids shots. Most people who went to pharmacy school, didn't intend to end up in direct patient care. Pharmacies giving shots is relatively new idea.   LIttle kids usually take more time to settle in, jerk around unpredictably and cry.  Over 8 is usually ok, but quite a few pharmacists in our company refuse to give them below 8yo, because they truly are afraid of injuring the kid, even though they can get in trouble for refusing.  It is dangerous and poor patient care to force a pharmacist to give a shot to someone they don't feel comfortable/safe giving it to. Some kids are better than adults....but for the most part they act their age. 

Good to hear this perspective!

• Like 1

My HMO (kaiser) offered the shot free to anyone. They set of the flu shot clinic in the lobby of the medical center and of course any member could get a shot, but they also invited anyone to come and get a shot free. Dh and younger ds are on dh's insurance. They went to the minute clinic at Target, but if I still have the same insurance next year and they offer it, I'm going to have them come with me to get the shot free. 

Hopefully a nice middle ground could be found, such as pharmacies can give vacs to kids 12 and up and information can be published about how doctors are best for little kids because of the specialized training they receive for dealing with young patients sad those with special needs.

This way kids can get use to going to the pharmacy to get vacs, and will hopefully get in the habit and continue it when they are 18+.

• Like 1

Then again giving injections isn't rocket science.  Many people can manage to learn how to do them.  I get allergy injections up to three times a week.  Even those who do this all day every day aren't always perfect at it.  Meanwhile some people are awesome at it.   I could see not allowing just anyone to inject someone who is very young or very old, but really a 16 year old cannot go to a pharmacy for a flu shot?!  My 16 year old is much larger than me!

• Like 1

Our insurance will only pay for flu shots if we go to the doctor. None of us can go to the pharmacy.

Ours too. So annoying. It's a major reason I and two of my kids didn't get shots this year. When they first get the shots, its just inconvenient. By the time the season is fully fledged, I do not want to go to the largest concentration of flu germs.

My pharmacist was BIT today by a little girl just under 8yo.  The girl was running around the exam room trying to get out and the pharmacist waited her out for 30 minutes, while the mom tried to calm her down.  The girl finally calmed, sat down and agreed to the shot, but when the pharmacist got close, the little girl tipped her head and bit the pharmacist's hand.  Hard enough to bruise but disn't break the skin (the gloves probably helped with this).  The pharmacist is so tired to trying to give kids shots and now this, she says she is now going to refuse any one under 12yo.  

• Like 1

While this is true, it also isn’t rocket science. Learning to administer IM injections is pretty darn easy.

• Like 1

My pharmacist was BIT today by a little girl just under 8yo.  The girl was running around the exam room trying to get out and the pharmacist waited her out for 30 minutes, while the mom tried to calm her down.  The girl finally calmed, sat down and agreed to the shot, but when the pharmacist got close, the little girl tipped her head and bit the pharmacist's hand.  Hard enough to bruise but disn't break the skin (the gloves probably helped with this).  The pharmacist is so tired to trying to give kids shots and now this, she says she is now going to refuse any one under 12yo.  

And as the parent in this situation, I would not have brought the kid there because I would have assumed they simply are not used to dealing with such situations.  I was that kid.  They had to have several people sit on top of me basically.  But then neither of my kids are like this so they had no trouble at the pharmacy.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 1

While this is true, it also isn’t rocket science. Learning to administer IM injections is pretty darn easy.

My dh got a flu shot last year at CVS and ended up with a shoulder injury from the vaccine being injected into the wrong spot on his arm. It was at least 6 months before he could use his arm normally again, and we had to pay for several appointments to see his primary care physician and PT. 

Is the current shot more effective? I thought one of the reasons that the flu is so bad this year was that their models had predicted the wrong strains so the vaccine was mostly ineffective. Which, I get that happens sometimes. Oh well. My kids got it back in the fall when we happened to be at the ped for something else entirely.

• Like 1

And as the parent in this situation, I would not have brought the kid there because I would have assumed they simply are not used to dealing with such situations.  I was that kid.  They had to have several people sit on top of me basically.  But then neither of my kids are like this so they had no trouble at the pharmacy.

Yep, the mom knew ahead of time it was going to be a problem.  That is why she hadn't had the girl go to the doctor before now. The mom was trying to force the girl into getting the shot and thought the pharmacy would be easier than the doctor's office.  It may be easier for the parent but the pharmacist doesn't have nurses to assist and a table to restrain the child on.