Menu

How do you humidify your house?

cave canem

Our whole-house humidifier did a wonderful job for years, but it doesn't work now, and repairing that is major.

A long time ago we had cool-mist units, but I know we became unhappy with that.  The units that heat water grew mold--or something?

The whole-house unit worked for so long that I don't remember what we liked before.  Also, new options probably exist.

I use four inexpensive Vick's warm mist vaporizers. Over the years we've had all sorts of things--whole house units and various cool mist humidifiers. I've found the warm mist vaporizers to work the best. Yes, I understand there can be a mold issue but I clean/disinfect/sanitize each one at least once a week. The filter/pad on the whole house unit we had got incredibly, disgustingly filthy and moldy very fast (much faster than the manufacturer said it would) and was very expensive and difficult to change. The cool mist vaporizers had filters that were expensive and needed to be changed much more frequently than recommended, and they got nasty in areas that were difficult/impossible to clean. But I haven't researched whole house units or cool mist humidifiers in several years, they may be better now. The whole house unit we had was two houses and fifteen years ago. But that filter got so nasty so quickly it really put me off of them.

I just started running a couple of Vicks humidifiers I had stashed away from when DS was younger. Weirdly it's been years since I'd thought to run them in winter, but a recent thread here reminded me that it's a good idea. Hopefully it makes a difference.

I have a newer cool mist humidifier (no filter).

I also have a few hare-brained things I do:

- boil a pot of water

- not run bathroom exhaust fans after showers, just open the door to let that moisture move throughout the house

- open the dishwasher as soon as it's done washing, before it moves into the drying cycle

- air dry clothing in the house

I don't want to buy another humidifier, because it doesn't get dry enough for long enough for me to justify the expense and space to store. I have a dehumidifier taking up space in my basement that I'll need in just a few months. I'm at my limit of home moisture control uni-taskers.

Side note: someone should invent a reverse humidifier/dehumidifier. I really don't know how each works, but it seems like including the technology for both in one device wouldn't be too difficult.

We are in process of replacing our whole house humidifier. It was almost as expensive to fix the one the builders put in that was cheap and installed incorrectly. It’s needed here though. The outside humidity is 6% right now and everything wood in my house is drying up. I’m tired of getting shocked everything I turn on a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- boil a pot of water

- not run bathroom exhaust fans after showers, just open the door to let that moisture move throughout the house

- open the dishwasher as soon as it's done washing, before it moves into the drying cycle

- air dry clothing in the house

We do these things too.  The house is too big for this to be enough.  It is very dry here for several months a year, so for us storing a couple units would be worth it.

• Like 1

We do these things too.  The house is too big for this to be enough.  It is very dry here for several months a year, so for us storing a couple units would be worth it.

That makes sense. 

This is the cool mist humidifier I have https://www.amazon.com/MistAire-Ultrasonic-Cool-Mist-Humidifier/dp/B013IJPTFK/ref=sr_1_1

It doesn't have a filter, and on the high setting, it can put about a gallon of water (2 tankfuls) into the air in a 24 hour period.

I clean it with bleach maybe once every couple weeks of use?

Other than localized in the bedroom for someone who sleeps better with some humidity in the air, why on earth would you want to add humidity to your house? I find this baffling. I like dry air--towels get dry, there is a minimal risk of mold and mildew growing which can affect allergies, etc. Having lived in Florida, I much prefer it here in the desert where the air is dry--though when it is cold, the dry does a number on my skin, I deal with that by moisturizing my skin, not the whole house.

We have an ultrasonic cool-mist humidifier.  We need something in the winter or ds gets nosebleeds.  We have forced hot air heat so it gets very dry.  

It works pretty well and isn't hard to clean.  We are using bottled water because our water is very very hard even with a softener. 

Right now I have a tea kettle and a pot of water on the stove. The humidity outside is in the 60’s, but inside it was 21%. The steam has brought it up to 25%, I’m not sure it is worth it, but it is making my husband feel better.

We had a cool mist humidifier in the past and all it did was make puddles under wherever we set it.

Other than localized in the bedroom for someone who sleeps better with some humidity in the air, why on earth would you want to add humidity to your house? I find this baffling. I like dry air--towels get dry, there is a minimal risk of mold and mildew growing which can affect allergies, etc. Having lived in Florida, I much prefer it here in the desert where the air is dry--though when it is cold, the dry does a number on my skin, I deal with that by moisturizing my skin, not the whole house.

Bloody noses and cracked skin. I’m the only one in my house whose skin isn’t flaking and cracking. No amount of lotion helps.
  • Like 4

Bloody noses and cracked skin. I’m the only one in my house whose skin isn’t flaking and cracking. No amount of lotion helps.

Agreed! Cracked skin is more than cosmetic. Also dry air causes sinus and respiratory issues and can actually increase congestion (ask me how I know). And the flu virus lives longer and spreads faster.

40-60% is optimal and our home is often 16% without a whole house humdifier.

Use smaller humidifiers (VICKS) in bedrooms, boil water on stove, diffusers are cheap and easy for smaller living rooms...also we have an attached bathroom in our bedroom (no door) that showers and baths help keep our bedroom humidity higher.

• Like 1

To help prevent nose bleeds and skin from becoming so dry it cracks.

If you have wooden floors keeping the humidity up a bit is better for them.

Not shocking the poor pooch every time you touch him. :eek:

In the bedrooms, I’ve started to use my crockpots opened. Basically add boiled water to a hot crockpot and run it in high overnight. I’m always surprised at how much boils off without the air feeling moist. I this is also so much easier to clean without any worry of mold.

I was reading Amazon reviews for humidifiers and vaporizers and someone said they used crockpots and it worked much better. Was it you? :lol: I may try that when my current vaporizers conk out. Crockpots would definitely be easier to keep clean.

Our heat runs a lot and it dries our skin even more than the already dry house does. I'm talking splits around cuticles, on heels of feet, even the undersides of finger joints.  Even applying chapstick or other treatments to lips, my lips still split.  Nosebleeds are not uncommon. And the itchy skin....oooh the itchy skin. When I take off my black yoga pants I can SEE the skin cells that have shaded. They cling to the inside of my pants. 

Lotion helps, but it's not enough.  And it doesn't help the nosebleeds or the dry sinuses.  

Dry is ok- I love it in the summer as my air conditioner sucks the water out of the air. But this is a whole different level of dry. 

Because the house feels warmer at the same temperature with a little moisture in the air. If you’re used to a bit of humidity, dry winter air can feel really uncomfortable on your skin. Also, some people are more prone to nosebleeds when the air is too dry.

We only use the whole house humidifier when it’s soooo cold (like the last few weeks) that we remember it’s an option.

If you don’t have one, wouldn’t setting bowls of water around add moisture to the air? Or would that not make a noticeable difference? You could float candles in it to make it decorative. You could also run your crockpots with the lid off.

If you don’t have one, wouldn’t setting bowls of water around add moisture to the air? Or would that not make a noticeable difference? You could float candles in it to make it decorative. You could also run your crockpots with the lid off.

Yes, just putting glasses of water near your heating vents will make a difference. 

Other than localized in the bedroom for someone who sleeps better with some humidity in the air, why on earth would you want to add humidity to your house? I find this baffling. I like dry air--towels get dry, there is a minimal risk of mold and mildew growing which can affect allergies, etc. Having lived in Florida, I much prefer it here in the desert where the air is dry--though when it is cold, the dry does a number on my skin, I deal with that by moisturizing my skin, not the whole hou

I don't know about living in the desert, but in New England, even when the water is piled deep in the yard, the relative humidity in the house is about 5%.  This is very hard on musical instruments and on parts of the body hard to moisturize with lotion such as the throat, eyes and nose.  Humidifying also the air makes us feel warmer.  I am not looking for 80% humidity, just something in the comfortable range for people and pianos.

dh opens the door to the bathroom after his shower so the moisture will go throughout the house.  I detest it- and close the doors and run the fan.

but then - we dont' need to humidify here.

maybe he's still got those years in utah (desert) so ingrained he thinks the air is dry.

The crock pot idea got me thinking about using the Instant Pot as a humidifier. 

Of course, I wasn't the first person to think of that:

https://gingercasa.com/things-make-instant-pot-arent-food/

Her suggestion is to put water in to saute then turn it down to warming mode. I wouldn't leave it on overnight, though.

Edited by Penguin

In the bedrooms, I’ve started to use my crockpots opened. Basically add boiled water to a hot crockpot and run it in high overnight. I’m always surprised at how much boils off without the air feeling moist. I this is also so much easier to clean without any worry of mold.

Great idea! They would have the added bonus of being silent, too.

I'm pleased to announce that the two humidifiers downstairs that I turned on this morning are already working their magic. It feels soooo much better and I haven't been shocked by anything all afternoon. I wonder why I've forgotten to do this for so many years?

We have large evaporative humidifiers for each floor. They usually work great, but are barely keeping up with these low temps and extra dry air. It's a pain in the butt to keep filling the tanks (2 for each unit) but I have trouble breathing when it's too dry. They can also make the room colder. I've also been boiling water on the stove for the main floor and in the electric tea kettle for upstairs for some extra humidity.

I'm at the opposite end trying to find ways to DEhumidify the air in our house! We live in Utah so it's dry, but we need to keep the humidity down for DD. She has an allergy to dust mites and the allergist told us to keep our humidity low to keep their breeding at bay. The dry skin is a pain but it's worth it for her to not be sick all the time. 

Yup. I’m hate being startled in the middle of the night by one of my kids waking me because of a bloody nose. I hate even more when I find blood smeared all over the floors in a trail to the bathroom and blood smeared pillow cases.

• Like 1

I am not crockpot-knowledgable.  Is there a problem if the crock boils dry?

edit for bad spelling

Edited by cave canem

I am not crockpot-knowledgable. Is there a problem if the crock boils dry?

edit for bad spelling

I don’t know. I haven’t had this happen to me. I suspect that the crock can break, but I don’t know for sure. I fill it to the top before bed and shut them off in the morning.

I am not crockpot-knowledgable.  Is there a problem if the crock boils dry?

edit for bad spelling

If the crockpot was the ceramic type the crock could crack, and of course there'd be a fire danger with any type. But I think most crockpots don't get hot enough that a full one would be likely at all to go dry overnight. An opened crockpot isn't likely to get anywhere close to the boiling point. More likely a very low simmer at most with the lid off, and some may have trouble even getting to that point.

• Like 1