Menu

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Ann.without.an.e

Yes! I've been watching and loving it for the most part. Sometimes the swearing (the F word) seems overdone for the time period - what do you think? Other than that, I think it's great! I really enjoy the interaction between her and her parents. So so funny!

I still have the last episode to watch and am saving it up. Anyone happen to know when more episodes will be ready?

• Like 2

oh, is it a whole series now1? When I found it it was just the pilot. I loved it and was mad there were no more!

Yes, 8 episodes.  So good.

Yes! I've been watching and loving it for the most part. Sometimes the swearing (the F word) seems overdone for the time period - what do you think? Other than that, I think it's great! I really enjoy the interaction between her and her parents. So so funny!

I still have the last episode to watch and am saving it up. Anyone happen to know when more episodes will be ready?

The language is more than I like.  If the characters weren't so wonderfully written nor the storyline so captivating, I wouldn't watch it for the language.

I have been binge watching this all week. Hilarious!

I am sad that I watched them all  :lol:   Do we know when they will release more?

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying it. Sometimes the dialogue is too modern but that's okay. It's still wonderful.

I stopped at the second to last episode because I was cringing for her in what she's about to do -

She's about to go off script in her stand-up routine. As soon as she mentioned Sophie I had to stop. I just couldn't watch her crash like that with Harry in the audience.

. I'll probably finish watching tomorrow night.

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying it. Sometimes the dialogue is too modern but that's okay. It's still wonderful.

I stopped at the second to last episode because I was cringing for her in what she's about to do -

She's about to go off script in her stand-up routine. As soon as she mentioned Sophie I had to stop. I just couldn't watch her crash like that with Harry in the audience.

. I'll probably finish watching tomorrow night.

I know, so  :eek:

• Like 2

Ok, thanks for the heads up.  I don't watch much TV so I won't waste my time on something that didn't make it  :mellow:  :thumbup:

Then again, it is about 17 episodes. Mrs. M is only 8 (so far). I figure what the heck - am enjoying Bunheads and all the cameos by G Girls actors.

• Like 1

I finished episode 6 before getting out of bed this morning. I love the clothes and the staging. Their apartments are beautiful. The contrast between the club gigs and her home life is striking.

The one point that bothers me (that might not be the correct phrase because I'm not really bothered, more of an irked curiosity) is how she can work all day and then go to parties 8 out of 14 nights. When does she see her children?

• Like 5

I finished episode 6 before getting out of bed this morning. I love the clothes and the staging. Their apartments are beautiful. The contrast between the club gigs and her home life is striking.

The one point that bothers me (that might not be the correct phrase because I'm not really bothered, more of an irked curiosity) is how she can work all day and then go to parties 8 out of 14 nights. When does she see her children?

Yes, this bugs me too....even from episode one, the children are almost non-existent.  

• Like 3

Loved it, except for those invisible kids...

Liked Bunheads too...

It took me a minute or two to figure out where else I had seen Alex Bornstein- she also played Drella, the snarky harpist on Gilmore Girls. :wub:

Fun fact...Alex Bornstein was originally going to play Sookie in Gilmore Girls. She was under contract for some other show and couldn’t do it.

• Like 2

After work. The club gigs seemed late enough that kids would be in bed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My pet peeve is a Jewish one. Their kosher butcher sells pork chops in the first episode. She eats and drinks on Yom Kippur and men and women sit together in the synagogue (in the 50s). Otherwise, I love the show. :)

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 4

My pet peeve is a Jewish one. Their kosher butcher sells pork chops in the first episode. She eats and drinks on Yom Kippur and men and women sit together in the synagogue (in the 50s). Otherwise, I love the show. :)

I guess I assumed that the shrimp at the wedding, the non-kosher butcher, and the drink alcohol on Yom Kippur were all intentional signals.  That Midge is someone who is one way on the surface, but who is perfectly willing to flout the rules when it's to her convenience.  

As I understand it, some Conservative and most Reform synagogues would have had family seating by the 50's.  

• Like 6

I just binge watched this weekend while everyone else was out of town.  What a fun show!  I'm not a fan of the Gilmore Girls, but I really enjoyed this -- love the sets, the costumes, most of the acting, and much of the script.

Amazon is streaming it for free this weekend, I think through Monday night, to celebrate the Golden Globe wins. https://www.pcmag.com/news/358497/watch-the-marvelous-mrs-maisel-free-on-amazon-this-weeken

• Like 4

I would love to get my mother’s take on this. She is probably 6 years younger than Midge, if I am doing my math right, went to the same school in NYC (if Midge was real they would have been there at the same time), and my grandfather taught at Columbia, so lots of overlap. The one difference is that her family isn’t Jewish.

Unfortunately, I don’t think she’d get past the profanity.

• Like 5

re shrimp egg rolls and pork chops

I guess I assumed that the shrimp at the wedding, the non-kosher butcher, and the drink alcohol on Yom Kippur were all intentional signals.  That Midge is someone who is one way on the surface, but who is perfectly willing to flout the rules when it's to her convenience.  

As I understand it, some Conservative and most Reform synagogues would have had family seating by the 50's.  

I read it this way as well.  Not just Midge but her parents as well (the egg rolls at the wedding, at least) -- they cared that the Rabbi come to the break-fast but not about serving him the egg rolls in the first place.  That she's grown up held in that tension, recognizing it, broadcasting it into the mic in that very first wedding speech scene in the very first episode -- is part of what forged her and delivered her into comedy.

• Like 6

I finally finished the last two episodes last night. I loved all of it!

Love Tony Shalhoub and all the cast of actors... so well done. The script is fantastic!

Did anyone catch the episode (last or next to last) when Midge asked him what he was doing and he said he was alphabetizing his books? I wonder if that was an intentional nod to Monk.

• Like 2

re shrimp egg rolls and pork chops

I read it this way as well. Not just Midge but her parents as well (the egg rolls at the wedding, at least) -- they cared that the Rabbi come to the break-fast but not about serving him the egg rolls in the first place. That she's grown up held in that tension, recognizing it, broadcasting it into the mic in that very first wedding speech scene in the very first episode -- is part of what forged her and delivered her into comedy.

I didn't necessarily think there was shrimp in the egg rolls. I was unclear as to whether it was a joke or a true statement.

• Like 3

Do not get attached to Bunheads! It ends abruptly. I think it got cancelled.

I loved Gilmore Girls, but couldn’t stand Bunheads. I think Gilmore Girls is the only TV series I’ve ever watched all the way through twice, but I stopped after a few episodes of Bunheads.

I’m looking forward to trying Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, as I’ve got a few weeks left on my free Prime trial.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...