Menu

Ups and Amazon.. And destroyed package

athomeontheprairie

We've talked with UPS before. They are absolutely NOT to leave packages unattended at our house. They can leave them with ANY person on the farm (including neighbors), put them in any vehicle (there's a ton!) And leave a note on the door, or redeliver.

They left a package Monday and it was DESTROYED. I can't even find the original packaging.

There isn't a local number to ups. Calling the 800 number gives me a 30 minute wait (which I don't have). They aren't responding to email.

What do I do? I'm so angry.

• Like 1

I can’t see how ups is legally allowed to open your car, leave a package with the neighbors, etc.? Does ups offer that they will follow specific drop-off instructions like that? I wouldn’t expect that they would. What about leaving a cooler something by your door with a note to leave packages inside? Or, take care of whatever beast is destroying packages.

ETA-I’m confused why Amazon is responsible here?

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 5

I can’t see how ups is legally allowed to open your car, leave a package with the neighbors, etc.? Does ups offer that they will follow specific drop-off instructions like that? I wouldn’t expect that they would. What about leaving a cooler something by your door with a note to leave packages inside? Or, take care of whatever beast is destroying packages.

ETA-I’m confused why Amazon is responsible here?

I agree if the destruction happened after delivery.

I know several people who have packages delivered at work or to a friend in town because it isn’t possible for whatever reason to have things delivered to their farm/country house. Would that be an option?

• Like 2

This is a really busy time of year for them. They hire temp workers, ramp up the number of trucks, and are really busting their butts. You need to find an address where they can just deliver the box as a normal delivery and be done with it. For our business, we have a door with a posted sign that says DELIVERIES. 

• Like 6

Hmmm. I'd definitely contact Amazon. They'll probably refund you . . .

But, since you know this is gonna' keep happening . . . Just to save you aggravation . . . I'd treat it like a business (which you sort of are, right, as a farm?) . . . and put up a big obvious sign (we have a big foot-square one on our back door at work) that says "PUT ALL DELIVERIES HERE!" etc etc or similar verbiage, and then create some sort of secure place (a metal box/bin with a lid? A "cage" like you can have for garbage cans in rural areas? Something like that? I'd put signs up in all the relevant places (like wherever the various delivery guys like to drop packages . . . At my house, sometimes they put stuff right at the garage door (makes no sense but is a shorter walk) or sometimes by my front door. . . So, if this were me, I'd put a sign over by the garage door saying something like "DO NOT DELIVER ANY PACKAGES HERE! They will be utterly destroyed by rogue goats!!! ALL DELIVERIES must be placed in the designated box by the front door!" And, then, over by the front door, I'd have a big animal proof-bin and another sign saying, "All deliveries here in this bin, please! Thank you! Please also ring the bell so I know to come get it! Thank you for protecting our packages from our rogue goats!"

• Like 9

You might send an email to jeff@amazon.com   Someone on his staff will look into this for you.

And, you can be happy that the UPS driver did not defecate on your property like this Amazon delivery woman did near a customers house: 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/01/surveillance-video-shows-amazon-contractor-defecating-in-gutter.html

Maybe you could put a chute where the delivery people could put small packages and they would drop right into your house, like a Laundry chute?

• Like 1

Yeah, can you set up a plastic box/bin/barrel for deliveries, labeled DELIVERIES RIGHT HERE!! I'm also curious as to what is destroying your packages. I'm assuming you have a dog that reeeeally loves to get mail? It's hard to know where their liability ends and yours begins.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I'd definitely contact Amazon. They'll probably refund you . . .

But, since you know this is gonna' keep happening . . . Just to save you aggravation . . . I'd treat it like a business (which you sort of are, right, as a farm?) . . . and put up a big obvious sign (we have a big foot-square one on our back door at work) that says "PUT ALL DELIVERIES HERE!" etc etc or similar verbiage, and then create some sort of secure place (a metal box/bin with a lid? A "cage" like you can have for garbage cans in rural areas? Something like that? I'd put signs up in all the relevant places (like wherever the various delivery guys like to drop packages . . . At my house, sometimes they put stuff right at the garage door (makes no sense but is a shorter walk) or sometimes by my front door. . . So, if this were me, I'd put a sign over by the garage door saying something like "DO NOT DELIVER ANY PACKAGES HERE! They will be utterly destroyed by rogue goats!!! ALL DELIVERIES must be placed in the designated box by the front door!" And, then, over by the front door, I'd have a big animal proof-bin and another sign saying, "All deliveries here in this bin, please! Thank you! Please also ring the bell so I know to come get it! Thank you for protecting our packages from our rogue goats!"

I’m so curious about this mindset. Why do you think Amazon should refund her? I’m assuming the op has a package eating dog (I could be wrong). Why would you put that bill on the company you ordered from?

• Like 6

I’m so curious about this mindset. Why do you think Amazon should refund her? I’m assuming the op has a package eating dog (I could be wrong). Why would you put that bill on the company you ordered from?

In general, the seller takes responsibility for the shipper delivering as directed/properly. Amazon would then make UPS pay for the damage if UPS failed to follow whatever guidelines Amazon and UPS have for this sort of thing.

I have no idea the details of the UPS shipping agreement, but if the OP has clearly instructed UPS on where/how to deliver packages to her address, and UPS failed to live up to their standards, then UPS will take responsibility (via Amazon). 

If UPS followed their own rules and Amazon's rules . . . then Amazon will refund if they feel inclined. IME, as a very frequent Amazon purchaser . . . I've found Amazon to be very generous about refunds on any sort of problem. 

Companies such as Amazon make financial/business decisions on who to use for shipping  . . . they negotiate rates and guidelines . . . If they chose to hire a local whack job to toss packages onto your yard where it got rained on or eaten by animals or mowed over by the lawn service  . . . instead of a reputable carrier to follow standard norms and deliver properly to the residence's designated delivery spot (by the front door, presumably) . . . then it's on Amazon to make it right. That's part of the risk they take when they allow sub-contracting/etc. (Google up "delivery person shitting in driveway" for a current video story of a contracted (in a U-haul!) delivery woman doing just that . . . The subcontracting of deliveries is getting a bit out of hand, IMHO. 

Personally, in our locale. our UPS and USPS guys are great. The FedEx ground guys are idiots. The FedEx air guys are great . . . I have no problem holding a company responsible when their selected delivery service does a bad job. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure that Amazon should or will refund her. However, I think one can safely assume (I try not to assume) that Amazon has contact with UPS, and influence with UPS (and other carriers), that no customer has. Amazon can probably influence UPS to take care of this issue for the OP.

Possibly the OP can get UPS to put something in her information for their delivery drivers, about where to leave the packages. Getting to the person who might be able to do that will probably be difficult or impossible. 

• Like 1

Well you could contact Amazon for a refund but that seems unethical since it isnt their fault or UPS fault that the package was destroyed.

They are the ones who have a contract with UPS not the person who is getting the parcel. Amazon has some clout to complain if they are ignoring instructions. Although they probably have just built it into their price. When I ship something and it doesn't make it I follow it up and replace if required not my customer or the courier.

• Like 1

If the packaging is destroyed to the extent that it's all gone, I'm thinking that maybe it was never delivered in the first place. I've had that happen a few times.

As for who pays, I've found that generally it pays to complain and that they refund you without question.

I'd put up a sign. I had one up for awhile saying not to deliver to our basement door, which we never use. And when the kids were little, I had one up saying to leave them in the entryway (there's an inner and outer door and I'd just leave the outer one unlocked all day). USPS and the regular UPS guys would leave it because I'd personally spoken to them. But, as people are saying, holiday labor can be less reliable.

• Like 1

Delivery people (UPS, Fed Ex, etc.) cannot just put a package in a random door/vehicle on or near the property.   :confused1:   How are they to know whether or not a specific vehicle on site is one that is always there or is someone just visiting.   

You can go onto the UPS website and make a specific plan for your packages- you can specify a specific place you'd like your package to go and they WILL deliver it there at your request. You can also have your packages re-routed to your nearest UPS store, which they are currently promoting with all the package thefts going on these days.

You can also leave a note that specifically says "UPS, please deliver to neighbor at XXX Mulberry Lane" and usually they will honor that.  But you have to be specific, and it's not on them to leave you a note telling you where the package ended up.

Since this is an ongoing problem, it sounds like your best bet is to have some kind of box installed on your property for deliveries.  As to what to do about the most recent package, I couldn't say.  If there is some kind of animal roaming about eating packages, I would say you're lucky they are even willing to deliver on the property.  A nuisance animal is a completely valid reason for a delivery driver to forego delivery and force you to have to pick it up somewhere else. 

• Like 3

Since this is an ongoing problem, it sounds like your best bet is to have some kind of box installed on your property for deliveries.  

YES. Our landlord has a business next door to the house we rent and he just got one of those Rubbermaid cabinet type things for UPS to stick stuff in.  He has no porch or anywhere to put packages so he made it easy for everyone involved.  We have put a note on our Rubbermaid storage bench that is on the porch designating it for packages and UPS just opens the lids and plops it in there.

• Like 1

I haven’t even had success with having deliveries placed ON OUR PORCH (out of the elements) when there was big black sharpie written on the side of the package, “please deliver to porch.†So I guess they stare at these instructions as they sit it (yet again) outside my garage door.

• Like 1

So it is goats?  Rogue goats?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm dying to know too!

OP, you've gotten great suggestions, but Amazon also has Amazon Lockers, which are secure locations in public places where you can have your Amazon stuff delivered. Not as convenient as getting packages at home, but at least you'll get your packages!

• Like 1

Yeah, can you set up a plastic box/bin/barrel for deliveries, labeled DELIVERIES RIGHT HERE!! I'm also curious as to what is destroying your packages. I'm assuming you have a dog that reeeeally loves to get mail? It's hard to know where their liability ends and yours begins.

My UPS driver friends says a lot of people on farms do this. One woman even built a small shed near the end of her driveway for packages. Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

Just an update, if anyone is curious.
We finally got ahold of UPS. They said basically we should leave a note on the door (which there is), tell the driver (which we have), or leave a message with the local office (have many times). BUT ultimately, it's up to the driver to decide whether its safe to leave a package. They directed us to contact amazon as they have a contract with them. Amazon is sending a replacement.

As a complete side note, UPS will randomly decide NOT to come to our house because it's so far out. Often they do this without calling. They'll leave packages addressed to dh at his work in one town (twice they've left packages in MY name at his job). OR they'll leave packages at my job in another town.
One of my packages shows delivered. last week. To my work. When the business was closed. (Not unusual-as then they'll leave it at a next door business). I can not find this package... Not sure WHERE it was left...

• Like 1

We finally got ahold of UPS. They said basically we should leave a note on the door (which there is), tell the driver (which we have), or leave a message with the local office (have many times). BUT ultimately, it's up to the driver to decide whether its safe to leave a package. They directed us to contact amazon as they have a contract with them. Amazon is sending a replacement.

As a complete side note, UPS will randomly decide NOT to come to our house because it's so far out. Often they do this without calling. They'll leave packages addressed to dh at his work in one town (twice they've left packages in MY name at his job). OR they'll leave packages at my job in another town.

One of my packages shows delivered. last week. To my work. When the business was closed. (Not unusual-as then they'll leave it at a next door business). I can not find this package... Not sure WHERE it was left...

How does UPS know where you work and where your dh works? :confused:

I can't imagine that a UPS driver would be allowed to deliver packages to an address that's different from the one printed on the package.

This is very confusing. And seriously, what kind of animal is eating your packages? If that happened to me, I would fear for my family's safety.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

But what, WHAT, is eating the packages!  I have to know!  

In general I've found UPS to be less flaky than USPS, and Amazon to have great customer service.

• Like 1

Delivery people (UPS, Fed Ex, etc.) cannot just put a package in a random door/vehicle on or near the property. :confused1: How are they to know whether or not a specific vehicle on site is one that is always there or is someone just visiting.

They do it all the time.

I'm assuming the OP lives in a rural location.

My sister lives 16 miles from the nearest town (the town has 600 people). The nearest UPS store to her would be 75 miles away.

Her UPS driver leaves packages in her garage, inside her gate, sometimes even inside her kitchen door.

For my niece, if the driver sees her husbands truck town he will sometimes leave packages in the truck.

• Like 1

It depends so much on your driver. My sister has a great UPS driver that always makes sure her packages are safe.

Her FedEx drivers are terrible.

I can't imagine that a UPS driver would be allowed to deliver packages to an address that's different from the one printed on the package.

This is very confusing. And seriously, what kind of animal is eating your packages? If that happened to me, I would fear for my family's safety.

Well, life is very different in rural communities.

If my sister's driver sees her or a family member in town, he gives them their packages. If my niece is at my sister's house, he will give my niece her package while he he is delivering to my sister.

• Like 2

But what, WHAT, is eating the packages!  I have to know!  

In general I've found UPS to be less flaky than USPS, and Amazon to have great customer service.

We have great USPS service. It's the best.

They do it all the time.

I'm assuming the OP lives in a rural location.

My sister lives 16 miles from the nearest town (the town has 600 people). The nearest UPS store to her would be 75 miles away.

Her UPS driver leaves packages in her garage, inside her gate, sometimes even inside her kitchen door.

For my niece, if the driver sees her husbands truck town he will sometimes leave packages in the truck.

Well, life is very different in rural communities.

If my sister's driver sees her or a family member in town, he gives them their packages. If my niece is at my sister's house, he will give my niece her package while he he is delivering to my sister.

Yes, rural area. We are 20 miles from a town with a population of 400. (UPS store is 75 miles away) There are only so many businesses, and only so many people. We have a crazy common last name (think: Smith, Miller, White, Jones...) And yet, we are the ONLY ones in the region with that last name.. And we've had the same UPS carrier for years (except during the holidays when they add an extra route). They don't like coming to our house-and if they can drop things off in town it's very helpful to them (and in 8 years, it's only caused real problems once). We've even been flagged down by the driver in town (and conversely, have flagged the driver down).

And yes, goats. But we also have had a dog that loved cardboard-everything else was safe, but cardboard? Nope.

No need to fear for anyone's safety-everyone is safe (excepting boxes)

• Like 2

I do wonder if it's goats. My sister has free range goats 😂 and they are super naughty. I could see them tearing apart a package.

I attended a historical lecture by a woman who was so fed up with her naughty goat - she roasted him.  said he tasted really good.

• Like 1