Menu

If the Roomba changed my life, what else do I need?

PeterPan

I don't have a Christmas present for myself, well unless you consider an artificial tree to prevent asthma attacks a Christmas present.  :smilielol5:

Any suggestions? Really, the Roomba has been the Best Thing Ever. It's running right now. I'm so totally no excuses now about getting my floors picked up and clean. Does their mopping thing work well? Maybe there's something else you really like having if you're a Roomba Girl? 

I don't know, anything. Go a little crazy here. Auto mascara applier. I don't know. I have an Instant Pot, so I don't need that. If you love your Roomba, what else do you like or want for Christmas? 

:)

• Like 3

Amazon Echo or Echo Dot.

We have two Echo Dots.  

I can listen to news, audiobooks, music, shipment notifications, jokes and more. 

I also use them for as intercoms. We have one placed upstairs, and one downstairs. I can "drop in" and talk to the kids from my phone Alexa app. 

They usually go on sale for the holidays. 

(you can shut off various features as well to keep people from listening in and spying etc.) 

• Like 4

Do you drink coffee?

What is your price range? A superautomatic espresso machine changed my world. It cleans itself. Cappuccino at a button touch.

Oh my, I wish I did! That sounds really fun!! LOL  I'm so boring with my simple electric tea kettle. :D

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

And, probably not really Christmas gift worthy, but dimmer switches for many of the rooms in our house. I like my lights bright a lot of the time, but sometimes I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t. As DH has been rewiring and rebuilding things in the house, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been adding dimmer switches, and they really make a difference.

• Like 4

And, probably not really Christmas gift worthy, but dimmer switches for many of the rooms in our house. I like my lights bright a lot of the time, but sometimes I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t. As DH has been rewiring and rebuilding things in the house, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been adding dimmer switches, and they really make a difference.

Actually, you're really onto something here! My dd is always ragging me that I don't have enough lamps. Apparently lamps equal ambiance. I have overhead fixtures, but I don't really have *lamps* out. I could kind go whole hog and buy myself a few, hehe... A little dim light, a little ambiance, who knows what could happen... :D

• Like 4

It's not a "thing" -- but I love my roomba, and my life also changed when I just decided it was ok to put most of my pots and pans in the dishwasher, even though they take a lot of room, and run it frequently. I run it any time there isn't room for another meal's worth of dishes, not nescesarily waiting until it's full.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 10

I feel the exact same way about my roomba. I gush about it all the time to dh. If you live somewhere cold, maybe an automatic starter for your car? We have 3 amazon dots and they're OK. We might be getting Google's new dot equivalent, though, as we're Google people and it has functions we like. But nothing besides aldi makes me as mom-giddy happy as my roomba.

• Like 1

You need Stitch Fix, maybe.

If I could get anything, I would want Sunbasket or Hello Fresh to try out.

I've wondered about Stitch Fix. I've been reading some of the other threads. Might be beyond me, hehe. I'll go look up Sunbasket and Hello Fresh. Are they meal deliveries, things you cook? That could be fun like once a month. Actually really that could be fun. It all got dumped on me when dd left for college.

You know the other thing I don't do is order my groceries online. Kroger will pull them for you, and I just haven't actually done it.

• Like 2

You guys are weird. I'm renting a house right now with tons of dimmers and I just keep thinking, "Why? Who would ever want dim light?!"

Actually, you're really onto something here! My dd is always ragging me that I don't have enough lamps. Apparently lamps equal ambiance. I have overhead fixtures, but I don't really have *lamps* out. I could kind go whole hog and buy myself a few, hehe... A little dim light, a little ambiance, who knows what could happen... :D

• Like 3

You guys are weird. I'm renting a house right now with tons of dimmers and I just keep thinking, "Why? Who would ever want dim light?!"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Shall I pull the age card? :D Um, my kid is in college and I want to sit up late at night in the quiet and sip tea and watch chick flicks and crochet. Dim lights are perfect for that. And other things. :D  Ds is 9 and has the lego thing going, but I can require him to go to bed. Once he's in, I can have *me* time. Dim lights and all...

• Like 6

I feel the exact same way about my roomba. I gush about it all the time to dh. If you live somewhere cold, maybe an automatic starter for your car? We have 3 amazon dots and they're OK. We might be getting Google's new dot equivalent, though, as we're Google people and it has functions we like. But nothing besides aldi makes me as mom-giddy happy as my roomba.

You know I used to shop at Aldi years ago, before they went all organic and hip, and I never got back into it. Do they take plastic now? We have a BIG one near us that I've only been in maybe once. I guess I could reform. Cuz you're right, if Aldi is as good as my roomba, I need to be there.

PS. I don't have dimmer switches, because they emit emf, but I do like low wattage bulbs. Dh just installed a new one in my bath and it's too high. I've also been thinking about getting myself those newfangled fake candles. Kohls has some that are pretty. They flicker and look really nice. I'd like a shelf with a whole bunch of them. Maybe some in my bath too. 

It's not a "thing" -- but I love my roomba, and my life also changed when I just decided it was ok to put most of my pots and pans in the dishwasher, even though they take a lot of room, and run it frequently. I run it any time there isn't room for another meal's worth of dishes, not nescesarily waiting until it's full.

Oh my goodness, now you're getting RADICAL, when you start asking what in my life would change if I decided to break a rule.  :lol:  They have these new washers that have a small washer on top. That would so help me, because I end up with dabs of things to wash or delicates. I have this "must be full to run" mental rule about the washer. I have two dishwashers and we run them both a lot. EVERYTHING goes in them but the wood cutting boards. Yeah, no ceremony there. But I don't know why I'm so inhibited about my washer. There you go.  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 1

LOL! I have one in the bathroom, and itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s nice to start settling down in dimmer light or if you need a little light in the middle of the night but donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want the whole thing. We have one in the bedroom, and I use it so I can rock my little guy to sleep while reading to the older kids, or if DH needs clothing in the morning before IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m awake, the dimmer means he doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to turn on the whole bright light.

Oh, and ETA, we have been switching over to the LED lights, and they can be really bright. So maybe thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the difference.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

My husband wanted to do that when we built our house.  I was like NOOOOO, I need to be able to see.  We have florescents in every room because incandescents  just don't give enough life.  Right now we have tons of lightbulbs to use up and then I might switch to LED (or not, just have to figure out which gives me the most light).

Oh my goodness, now you're getting RADICAL, when you start asking what in my life would change if I decided to break a rule.  :lol:  They have these new washers that have a small washer on top. That would so help me, because I end up with dabs of things to wash or delicates. I have this "must be full to run" mental rule about the washer. I have two dishwashers and we run them both a lot. EVERYTHING goes in them but the wood cutting boards. Yeah, no ceremony there. But I don't know why I'm so inhibited about my washer. There you go.  :lol:  :lol:

The first time I saw that ad for the double washer I was at a homeschool mom's night. Every single one of us turned and watched the ad (even though we were all in the food line  :lol: ) and said, "That is the best idea ever." We all cracked up laughing. None of our husbands understood when we told them about it later.  :laugh:

Edit: I put the Roomba on my Christmas and Birthday lists every year; so far, I am Roomba-less.

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 1

If you don't have one, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle paperwhite.  I love the nightlight feature so I can read at night in the dark and not disturb others.  You can also read outside in the daytime.  I have over 500 FREE kindle books on it that I don't have to worry about returning to the library and I can download ebooks free from the library for an even bigger selection.

I did also like my Kindle Fire (the $39 model on sale last holiday season).  It isn't super fast, etc. but was great for my audiobooks as then it didn't use up my cell phone battery.

LIkely out of the budget for Christmas but I just got a new gas stove a few months ago and it has the large center griddle. That I LOVE.  I seriously use the griddle feature way more than I ever use a pan on a burger now.  Great for sauteing vegetables, making pancakes/french toast, grilled cheese, corn tortillas, and best of all EGGS......scrambled, fried, or omelets.  They do NOT stick and clean up is just a wipe down with a wet rag.  I can now make omelets that look like a fancy restaurant and it is so easy.

• Like 5

If you like gadgets that rock your life without taking up much space, check these out:

https://smile.amazon.com/Presto-Ceramic-FlipSide-Belgian-Waffle/dp/B000TYBWIG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510778714&sr=8-5&keywords=flip+waffle+maker  (Fluffy, delicious belgian waffles; stores in the corner of the cabinet)

https://smile.amazon.com/Airtight-Coffee-Maker-Infuser-Spout/dp/B01CTIYU60/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1510778762&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=iced+coffee+pitcher+ovalware  (Keep the concentrate in the frig for up to two weeks.  Add a bit to chocolate milk for an instant iced mocha, anytime)

• Like 1

The first time I saw that ad for the double washer I was at a homeschool mom's night. Every single one of us turned and watched the ad (even though we were all in the food line  :lol: ) and said, "That is the best idea ever." We all cracked up laughing. None of our husbands understood when we told them about it later.  :laugh:

Edit: I put the Roomba on my Christmas and Birthday lists every year; so far, I am Roomba-less.

That's so funny!!

Ok, about getting the Roomba. This needs a battle plan. :D  How about you join Costco on some pretext and save to buy their Roomba? That's what mine is. It was a good value (as far as expensive appliances go) and came with two barrier walls. I would buy it again in a heartbeat, great set. I don't remember what I paid, but just start collecting, say $20 a month, and within two years hopefully you've got your Roomba! Or yard sale after one year and you'll have the rest. 

• Like 1

If you don't have one, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle paperwhite.  I love the nightlight feature so I can read at night in the dark and not disturb others.  You can also read outside in the daytime.  I have over 500 FREE kindle books on it that I don't have to worry about returning to the library and I can download ebooks free from the library for an even bigger selection.

I did also like my Kindle Fire (the $39 model on sale last holiday season).  It isn't super fast, etc. but was great for my audiobooks as then it didn't use up my cell phone battery.

LIkely out of the budget for Christmas but I just got a new gas stove a few months ago and it has the large center griddle. That I LOVE.  I seriously use the griddle feature way more than I ever use a pan on a burger now.  Great for sauteing vegetables, making pancakes/french toast, grilled cheese, corn tortillas, and best of all EGGS......scrambled, fried, or omelets.  They do NOT stick and clean up is just a wipe down with a wet rag.  I can now make omelets that look like a fancy restaurant and it is so easy.

Your stove sounds awesome!! You know, I feel terrible because I got myself a kindle paperwhite, wanting to try it, and I don't use it. And I feel really bad about that, one because it cost money, and two because in theory I ought to like it. I don't know what my issue is. But I definitely don't have 500 books on it, lol. I was trying to be cheap and try the new releases that are from from amazon each month, and they just push me way out of my comfort zone. Maybe I just haven't found the right thing? I wanted it to try to relax, but I guess I didn't find what I would read that would relax me. Embarrassing but true. What do you read on yours? 

I've never thought about audiobooks for myself. Hmm. What genre do you listen to? I'd have to ponder that. I used to listen to audiobooks as a kid, but somehow I got so switched over to reading for information (or reading online), I'm really disconnected from books and pleasure reading. This is pathetic. 

I'd like to get my dh a new electric griddle. We have a stainless one from Williams Sonoma years ago that we've really enjoyed. We've just sorta worn it out. He likes making pancakes when we have guests, sort of a guy thing, like a grill only with a griddle and pancakes, lol.

Your stove sounds awesome!! You know, I feel terrible because I got myself a kindle paperwhite, wanting to try it, and I don't use it. And I feel really bad about that, one because it cost money, and two because in theory I ought to like it. I don't know what my issue is. But I definitely don't have 500 books on it, lol. I was trying to be cheap and try the new releases that are from from amazon each month, and they just push me way out of my comfort zone. Maybe I just haven't found the right thing? I wanted it to try to relax, but I guess I didn't find what I would read that would relax me. Embarrassing but true. What do you read on yours? 

I've never thought about audiobooks for myself. Hmm. What genre do you listen to? I'd have to ponder that. I used to listen to audiobooks as a kid, but somehow I got so switched over to reading for information (or reading online), I'm really disconnected from books and pleasure reading. This is pathetic. 

I'd like to get my dh a new electric griddle. We have a stainless one from Williams Sonoma years ago that we've really enjoyed. We've just sorta worn it out. He likes making pancakes when we have guests, sort of a guy thing, like a grill only with a griddle and pancakes, lol.

Here is the stove I have if anyone else is interested in one http://www.sears.com/ge-appliances-jgbs66dekww-30inch-freestanding-gas-range-white/p-02289612000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

You need other places to look for books.  First you can try your library.  Most have overdrive or hoopla or other programs for downloading books on your Kindle.  You can usually borrow them for 2 weeks but if you turn off the wi fi you can keep the book until you are finished even if it is longer (but you can't download any new ones until you turn it back on).

I find most of my free books from one of 3 places:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store/zgbs/digital-text/ref=zg_bs?_encoding=UTF8&tf=1 Is the Amazon site with 100 + free kindle books a day.  You can scroll through them or click on the left to narrow it to certain genre, etc.  I will say that often I scroll through 90+ books that hold NO interest to me but I can find some that do.  The book selection can change daily and sometimes hourly.  I tend to check this site every few days and do a very quick browse.  Most of the times I can rule out a book just by its cover.

I then subscribe to 2 of the daily free/cheap kindle email things.  Again, many days I find NOTHING that appeals to me at all (esp. since I only do the free ones) but several times a week I find a book that looks appealing and since it is free I buy it and if I don't like it I can hit delete without guilt.

What type of books do you enjoy?  If your interests are similar to mine I can even loan you many of the ones I have collected.

I have come to love audio books.  I get them free from the library through Overdrive and Hoopla.  Sometimes (ok, very often) I have to wait days to weeks and even months for some popular books BUT I can request active holds on 10 at time and keep like 500 on my wish list so I can always have a good to listen to.  A few of my utmost favorites are A Man Called Ove, The Nightingale (the BEST listen, powerful), Small Great Things, Born a Crime, A Long Way Home (book that movie Lion was based on).  I will say that a few of these have some adult language/situations at time but mild compared to many books and really integral to the story, not just to "sell" the book or shock value.......and I am quite conservative as to what I read/listen to.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 1

Here is the stove I have if anyone else is interested in one https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-in-5-0-cu-ft-Free-Standing-Gas-Range-in-White-JGBS66DEKWW/206943089 

You need other places to look for books.  First you can try your library.  Most have overdrive or hoopla or other programs for downloading books on your Kindle.  You can usually borrow them for 2 weeks but if you turn off the wi fi you can keep the book until you are finished even if it is longer (but you can't download any new ones until you turn it back on).

I find most of my free books from one of 3 places:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store/zgbs/digital-text/ref=zg_bs?_encoding=UTF8&tf=1 Is the Amazon site with 100 + free kindle books a day.  You can scroll through them or click on the left to narrow it to certain genre, etc.  I will say that often I scroll through 90+ books that hold NO interest to me but I can find some that do.  The book selection can change daily and sometimes hourly.  I tend to check this site every few days and do a very quick browse.  Most of the times I can rule out a book just by its cover.

I then subscribe to 2 of the daily free/cheap kindle email things.  Again, many days I find NOTHING that appeals to me at all (esp. since I only do the free ones) but several times a week I find a book that looks appealing and since it is free I buy it and if I don't like it I can hit delete without guilt.

What type of books do you enjoy?  If your interests are similar to mine I can even loan you many of the ones I have collected.

I have come to love audio books.  I get them free from the library through Overdrive and Hoopla.  Sometimes (ok, very often) I have to wait days to weeks and even months for some popular books BUT I can request active holds on 10 at time and keep like 500 on my wish list so I can always have a good to listen to.  A few of my utmost favorites are A Man Called Ove, The Nightingale (the BEST listen, powerful), Small Great Things, Born a Crime, A Long Way Home (book that movie Lion was based on).  I will say that a few of these have some adult language/situations at time but mild compared to many books and really integral to the story, not just to "sell" the book or shock value.......and I am quite conservative as to what I read/listen to.

The link to your stove says there isn't anything there.  

I wish I would have gotten one of those kind of stoves last year.    :(

If you like gadgets that rock your life without taking up much space, check these out:

https://smile.amazon.com/Presto-Ceramic-FlipSide-Belgian-Waffle/dp/B000TYBWIG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510778714&sr=8-5&keywords=flip+waffle+maker  (Fluffy, delicious belgian waffles; stores in the corner of the cabinet)

https://smile.amazon.com/Airtight-Coffee-Maker-Infuser-Spout/dp/B01CTIYU60/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1510778762&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=iced+coffee+pitcher+ovalware  (Keep the concentrate in the frig for up to two weeks.  Add a bit to chocolate milk for an instant iced mocha, anytime)

Ooo, the waffle maker sounds fun! I haven't had one since college. Crazy, I know.

That coffee infuser is nifty, hehe. As a non-coffee drinker, I was imagining all the excuses I'd have then to make just a little here or there to include in recipes, hehe... Cake, coffee milkshakes...

• Like 1

An Oster electric wine opener.   A Hoover Floormate, if you have tile, because it keeps the grout clean instead of letting the dirt settle into the grout like mopping does.   An electric kettle.  A Kitchenaid stand mixer.  A Vitamix.  A George Foreman grill for great hot sandwiches.  

• Like 1

Ottakee, your stove is stellar! That center burner looks super super handy!

Ok, that was kind of cool. I went through the Top 100 Free and Paid books and actually did find some nifty things! There's a lot of smut but, like you're saying, there were also some books I'd be interested to try. Thanks!

An Oster electric wine opener.   A Hoover Floormate, if you have tile, because it keeps the grout clean instead of letting the dirt settle into the grout like mopping does.   An electric kettle.  A Kitchenaid stand mixer.  A Vitamix.  A George Foreman grill for great hot sandwiches.  

Ok, my dh has DREAMED of one of these floor mopping devices... He got a steam shark thing, but it's not really impressive. It more just shoves dirt around. This Hoover Floormate sounds more promising. 

Within the last year I switched from using dishwasher detergent to those Cascade Complete pods, and now everything comes out clean, no matter how it went in - so I stopped soaking and prewashing all the dishes.  I just shove everything into the dishwasher now - I never did that before because it wouldn't have worked.  

• Like 4

I have two dishwashers and we run them both a lot. EVERYTHING goes in them but the wood cutting boards.

This is my kind of radical -- why do I not have two dishwashers?? I just bought some plastic and so licone scrapers to replace the William Samoma wood and silicone ones I love but finally accepted that I can't handle anything being handwash only at this point in my life. Also bought plastic cutting boards too for the same reason. I am not sold on those yet though, I love my wood ones. But these have not ended up sitting by the sink waiting to be washed.

• Like 1

Ooooh! Those battery operated candles - the ones that flicker - they are so cool. I have a set near the bath, and another elsewhere. I big puffy heart them. And they come with a remote. Love that.

How about an Apple TV?

I do love the Amazon Echo. That gets a ton of use.

This sounds weird but our bedroom is over the garage, and we have a super silent garage door opener. Love that, too.

Any rooms where your roomba doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t go? What about one of those stationery vacuum stations? Those look useful.

• Like 1

Amazon Echo or Echo Dot.

We have two Echo Dots.

I can listen to news, audiobooks, music, shipment notifications, jokes and more.

I also use them for as intercoms. We have one placed upstairs, and one downstairs. I can "drop in" and talk to the kids from my phone Alexa app.

They usually go on sale for the holidays.

(you can shut off various features as well to keep people from listening in and spying etc.)

This was my suggestion too. I love Alexa.

• Like 2

I got into my kindle by re-reading an old favorite.  I'd say the first ten books I read on my kindle were books I'd already read:  I went through all the Little Women series (free), all of Jane Austen's big titles (when I purchased my kindle, the Austen collection was my choice as a "free gift"), and then all of Robert Jordan's bajillion paged fantasy series.  

• Like 3

Do you drink coffee?

What is your price range? A superautomatic espresso machine changed my world. It cleans itself. Cappuccino at a button touch.

I love mine too.  I was trying so hard to stay a "purest" and use my automatic espresso machine, but it was just too much effort!  The super automatic has been great!  

• Like 2

You need Stitch Fix, maybe.

If I could get anything, I would want Sunbasket or Hello Fresh to try out.

I've wondered about Stitch Fix. I've been reading some of the other threads. Might be beyond me, hehe. I'll go look up Sunbasket and Hello Fresh. Are they meal deliveries, things you cook? That could be fun like once a month. Actually really that could be fun. It all got dumped on me when dd left for college.

You know the other thing I don't do is order my groceries online. Kroger will pull them for you, and I just haven't actually done it.

I have a couple of coupons for a free week of Hello Fresh.  If anyone is interested, PM me.  

• Like 1

Thermapen, if you want to spend about $100 for a kitchen thermometer.

Heated towel rail for bathroom, if you are in a cold climate.

This is a small thing, but I get cotton blend napkins by the dozen from webstaurant.com. They are thick and heavy, about 23" square and come out of the dryer as if ironed.

• Like 6