Menu

College vaccines

DawnM

I am looking at the list.  

HPV

Meningitis

Flu 

Plus any he needs boosters for, etc....

Of the 3 I mentioned, which did you opt for for your college kid?  I will get Meningitis, but thinking of no for the other two.  Pretty sure he is up to date for the rest.

He is going to school Jan. 5th so I am making appointments today for sometime in the next few weeks.

He also found a lump on his left back/hip area.  I am assuming it is a cyst of some sort, but want him in early in case he needs it removed.

OY.

Disease spreads like wildfire in college dorms.  Because of this I'd also have him get the flu vaccine. And I'd give him the choice of whether to get the HPV vaccine, meaning that he should talk to the doctor privately about it and then decide.

• Like 5

Meningitis and flu are both pretty important for college life. 

Middle son saw just how useful the flu vaccine was year after year in his job as an RA.  Even if one gets the flu, it's almost always easier to deal with if one has been vaccinated.  Otherwise, it's tough to miss classes and still do well - or one can try to drag through classes when they shouldn't.

Meningitis is important because it's so deadly - and mimics the flu - so students could think they're going to their room to sleep it off and never wake up.

HPV in my mind, is for kids to decide.  Talking with the doctor about it sounds like a good idea since it's probably info they don't care to share with parents. 

• Like 4

I am reasonably sure he will refuse the HPV.   He keeps telling me he will never have a girlfriend or get married or have kids.  It is his Asperger's talking and he never has dated.  He will be 20 in a couple of months.  

Does the flu vaccine actually help?  We have never gotten the vaccine and the people I know who have gotten the flu the worst are those who had the vaccine.  But I am willing to get it anyway if it really will help.  

• Like 2

Mine live at home, but we did meningitis and do flu shots every year. Meningitis is frequently fatal, and the flu can really derail your academic career.

I'm not yet convinced about the HPV shot from discussions with the medical personnel I know. When they turned 18, I let them choose.

I know my two olders have gotten at least their first meningococcal vaccine shot. Not sure if my oldest has gotten her booster or not yet, but she'll get that before college if she hasn't yet. We are not flu shot people. (We, too, have only stories about people getting the shot & getting the flu where we & others who didn't get the shot didn't get the flu. But, there are other years where lots of people get the flu, including those who got the shot, and everyone is miserable together.)

When they are that old, my kids can decide to get the HPV shot if they want. The risks of the shot are higher than the (non-)benefits that my kids currently face. They may make different decisions when they are in college & away from home. If they decide they may want to engage in behavior that would bring the benefits of the shot into play, they can opt for the shot.

the idea that people who got the vaccine came down with the flu the worst - cannot be true. 

It just cannot. 

Assuming the person immunized is able to seroconvert, the flu vaccine works in the years that it is a close match to the circulating viruses. 

On the years it is not a close match, it just isn't very effective. It does not (because it cannot) make anyone *more* susceptible to the infection. 

Most people who think they have had the flu, didn't. They just had a bad cold, which is not what the flu shot protects against. They would have got it exactly the same if they had skipped the shot. 

I'd encourage him to get all 3.  Remind him HPV causes throat cancer & that it's a chance to get protection for decades down the road, not for what he'll be doing in the next year or two....  It's a series though. Depending on the appointment schedule, he might no have time to get them all.  Oh and it hurts. Dd has it, ds still hasn't but I want him too....

Hep B is the other one I'd make sure to get. 

• Like 7

the idea that people who got the vaccine came down with the flu the worst - cannot be true. 

It just cannot. 

Assuming the person immunized is able to seroconvert, the flu vaccine works in the years that it is a close match to the circulating viruses. 

On the years it is not a close match, it just isn't very effective. It does not (because it cannot) make anyone *more* susceptible to the infection. 

Most people who think they have had the flu, didn't. They just had a bad cold, which is not what the flu shot protects against. They would have got it exactly the same if they had skipped the shot. 

I'd encourage him to get all 3.  Remind him HPV causes throat cancer & that it's a chance to get protection for decades down the road, not for what he'll be doing in the next year or two....  It's a series though. Depending on the appointment schedule, he might no have time to get them all.  Oh and it hurts. Dd has it, ds still hasn't but I want him too....

Hep B is the other one I'd make sure to get. 

I wasn't saying it made people more susceptible.  I was merely stating what I had observed.  And yes, they did have the flu, or at least, their doctors said they did.  It could very well be a different strain.  It could very well be that they are particularly susceptible to illness anyway.  I just know we have never gotten them, ever, and I think I got the flu 4 or 5 years ago but not since.  My son going to college hasn't had the flu in at least that long.  He is my healthiest kid who rarely gets sick, even when others around him are sick.  

BUT, I am in no way saying that I won't vaccinate him, just saying that we haven't had it before, when he has lived at home.

Pretty sure he is up on Hep B, but we will be discussing all of his vaccines.  I think he is only going to need/recommend the 3 I mentioned as he is up to date on others.

• Like 1

It just cannot. 

:iagree:

Here's a CDC link answering misconceptions:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

Here's a 2017 study showing the highly reduced death rate among children who are vaccinated vs those who aren't (51% less for health compromised kids and 65% less for healthy children):

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2017/p0403-flu-vaccine.html

And here's a 2017 study showing folks who are vaccinated are less likely to have major complications if they still get the flu and have symptoms sending them to the hospital:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/vaccine-reduces-severe-outcomes.htm

Here's a page talking about odds with vs without vaccination:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

The CDC updates flu information weekly if anyone wants to see what's going on with it (and where):

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Nothing is perfect with vaccines - no guarantees - but if one opts to go without, one should at least know the facts and not the sound bites going around that are not grounded in studies or science.

• Like 3

Does his college have a list of what is required?  My daughter's did.  It required meningitis and a couple of others that I don't remember.  I would check their requirements just to make sure you're covering everything.

We don't get the flu shot here and have never found flu to be particularly horrible; nor have we found the shot to be particularly effective.  

My college-goers got the flu and meningitis vaccines.  Most of us get the flu vaccine still every year.  Our experience is that none of us have gotten a bad case of the flu since getting the vaccine.  One of the first years we got the flu vaccine, my ds chose not to get it.  He was actually the first person in our entire town to have the flu that year -- a very bad case of it too, and none of us who had the shot got it.

A couple of my girls got the HPV vaccine.  And wow -- I thought the HPV was just for girls!  I guess by the time it was available my ds was long out of the house, and I really only hear about its connection to cervical cancer.  Glad I read this thread!

Does his college have a list of what is required?  My daughter's did.  It required meningitis and a couple of others that I don't remember.  I would check their requirements just to make sure you're covering everything.

We don't get the flu shot here and have never found flu to be particularly horrible; nor have we found the shot to be particularly effective.  

The 3 I mentioned are "strongly recommended" but not mandatory.

.  And wow -- I thought the HPV was just for girls!  I guess by the time it was available my ds was long out of the house, and I really only hear about its connection to cervical cancer.  Glad I read this thread!

Yup, it's just now getting more coverage in the news. 

“There are now more of these HPV-related throat cancers in men than there are cervical cancers in women,†

"Jason Mendelsohn had been married for close to 20 years and was happily raising three kids when he noticed the painless lump on his neck while shaving three years ago." 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/silent-epidemic-cancer-spreading-among-men-n811466

• Like 3

I found the flu shot highly effective. I have daily contacts with a large germ breading population and only got the flu on the year the vaccine was unavailable.

Same here.  And I could not agree more with regentrude's description of college students as a "large germ breeding population."  There are these waves of sickness that just roll through.  

• Like 1

All 3 here. Dh is required to get the flu shot every year for his job. We are not consistent with getting it. But when oldest is in college full-time and possibly working. he's going to be exposed to more viruses and be more stressed out, all weakening his immune system. A flu shot can really help avoid getting behind in classes. 

Meningitis is mandatory for me, especially if he is in a dorm. My cousin died from it. He was never able to get out of bed and get help it happened that quick.

Both of my boys have gotten the first HPV shot. Cancer runs in the family and I really don't see any reason for us to avoid getting a vaccination for certain types of cancer. 

Yes, meningitis is a MUST for us as well.  I have seen many die from it.  He just hasn't been in a situation to need it yet, but as I mentioned in my OP, that is something we will be getting.

• Like 2

Yes, meningitis is a MUST for us as well. I have seen many die from it. He just hasn't been in a situation to need it yet, but as I mentioned in my OP, that is something we will be getting.

I would have him get the meningitis vaccination but I would let him make his own choice about the HPV and flu vaccines.

• Like 3

I gave the meningitis vaccine (mandatory at my kids' schools), but gave them each the choice about HPV (one did, two didn't). Flu is on their own at their school health clinics because we see them only in summers and Christmas break and miss the ideal time to receive it.

Edited by Kinsa

That is interesting about HPV being an optional one to almost everyone.

My 12-year-old son had his first and second round of it this year, I think of it as a pretty standard vaccine even though it is optional.  I don't know off the top of my head if he is due for one more or not, I will see the next time I take him for a physical. 

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

I would have him get the meningitis vaccination but I would let him make his own choice about the HPV and flu vaccines.

This is exactly what I did with my kids. Meningitis is non-negotiable for my college students. Our family isn't big on going to the doctor and we tend to try to sleep off illness or wait it out. Usually, this means we avoid unnecessary antibiotics and exposure to the other germs that are in doctor's offices, but it is a potentially deadly behavior with meningitis, and meningitis is just too high of a risk in a college dorm!

Dh is the only one in my family to ever have had the flu. I seem to have a natural immunity and so far it appears I may have passed that to my kids as well. Dd who has asthma is the only one who has ever had a flu vaccine. She chose to skip it this year despite her doctor's and my suggestion she should have it. She did get HPV. Ds has had neither, and like the OP's son, at 20 he thinks he will never have a girlfriend or be at risk of HPV. He too is ASD.

These are grown-up decisions and people over 18 get to make them for themselves. 

• Like 2

For what it's worth there are at least two types of meningitis vaccines. Our college kids got one before heading off. Our military medical facility does not offer the 2nd one (IIRC Meningitis B). This one is recommended for people in large group settings like college dorms.

I suggested my kids seek out shots at their college health clinics.

Good timing for this topic. My daughter has a doctor's appt soon so I can have them check to see what she still needs. We get the flu shot every year, she's had the HPV series, but I can't remember off the top of my head if she's had the meningitis one yet and if she needs a booster for DTaP. 

NC law requires college students at all schools (public, private, religious) have a required list prior to enrollment if they will be living on campus or register for more than four daytime hours of classes. http://www.immunize.nc.gov/schools/collegesuniversities.htm

DTP

Measles

Mumps

Rubella

Polio

HepB

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 2

Good timing for this topic. My daughter has a doctor's appt soon so I can have them check to see what she still needs. We get the flu shot every year, she's had the HPV series, but I can't remember off the top of my head if she's had the meningitis one yet and if she needs a booster for DTaP. 

NC law requires college students at all schools (public, private, religious) have a required list prior to enrollment if they will be living on campus or register for more than four daytime hours of classes. http://www.immunize.nc.gov/schools/collegesuniversities.htm

DTP

Measles

Mumps

Rubella

Polio

HepB

He must be up on his HepB then.  He is in his 2nd year of college here, and I know he is up on the rest of the list.

His 4 year school is out of state and the 3 I mentioned in the OP have been suggested.  

Edited by DawnM

He must be up on his HepB then.  He is in his 2nd year of college here, and I know he is up on the rest of the list.

His 4 year school is out of state and the 3 I mentioned in the OP have been suggested.  

I was actually a bit surprised at the list, and I don't know how strictly they enforce it for somewhere like the community college, fyi, since my daughter is in her second year of DE with 8/10/13 credits (depending on semester) and I don't recall being asked to provide her immunization records. Per that link they should have asked.

FWIW, requirements can vary a lot by state.  CA recently had several meningitis cases at a college near where DS goes.  Our state requires TB tests on top of vaccines.

According to the website for the state he is going to, he needs 

DATE OF POSITIVE LAB/SEROLOGIC EVIDENCE

MMR 1

Measles 1

Mumps 1

Rubella 1

Varicella 3

(or history of Varicella)

//

Tetanus-Diphtheria Pertussis (Whooping Cough) 4

//

//

Hepatitis B 2

And the following are recommended:

Human Papillomavirus 5

//

//

//

Hepatitis A 6

//

//

Meningococcal 7, 8

//

Influenza 6

I also usually suggest a tetanus booster for kids going to college. Tetanus is recommended every 10 years but if you have a dirty wound the recommendation is to get a booster if it’s been more than 5 years since the last shot. Since college kids usually last got a tetanus around age 11, they will need a booster if they get a dirty wound at school. If we do it before they go they just know they are covered and don’t have to worry about it.  

• Like 3

I was actually a bit surprised at the list, and I don't know how strictly they enforce it for somewhere like the community college, fyi, since my daughter is in her second year of DE with 8/10/13 credits (depending on semester) and I don't recall being asked to provide her immunization records. Per that link they should have asked.

At the local community college you sign a form that you are up-to-date with your vaccines.

At the 4-year my oldest commutes to, he had to have his doctor send his shot records, and he got an approval email back. If you don't do that, you are sent a warning email and then withdrawn from your classes.

I would actually get both meningitis vaccines for a dorm-bound student. Menactra is the common one but there is also Trumemba (sp?) which is not as commonly given.

I read a heartbreaking story about a 19 y.o. who died because she didn't go to the ER in time since she'd thought she couldn't have meningitis after getting the Menactra vaccine. Turns out she had meningitis B and by the time her friends got her to the ER, it was too late to save her :(