Menu

My brother died. This is trivial, but...can you help me find a dress?

Chris in VA

I am sorry.  I don;t know that I ever wore black to any of the funerals I went to of my own family members even.  I can't really remember what I wore at my Dad;s memorial service - I couldn't and wouldn't attend the viewing because I was super sick with strep with a high fever still and didn't want to cause the subsequent death of anyone else.  Don't remember what I wore to my mother;s service or even where it was held but do remember breaking down and crying at Tyson's Corner Mall while shopping for a dress.  Then when my sister died, I had to fly out quickly for the service and think I just took something darker from my wardrobe.  I think it may have been dark green.  I don't remember even what I wore at my FILs viewing which only happened about four years ago.  All I did know is that each time I was grateful for the people who attended and didn't care a whit what people wore. Nobody came wearing something outrageous like a party dress or baggy pants falling down but colors, patterns, etc, were all fine.  

• Like 1

I have visibility to probably a dozen funerals per year.  It's really interesting to see the variation in how families dress.  At most of the funerals, people are both much more casual and much more varied in what they wear than in years past.  In the past four years in my world, only two of the funerals were very formal, with the entire family in full-on black and all the guys in suits, so that is definitely the exception rather than the rule. 

I'm so sorry for your loss!

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to find peaceful moments.   I can not wear black without someone telling me I look awful, so I tend to wear navy or dark gray to funerals.  No one has ever said boo to me, even at family funerals where someone would be sure to say something.  At my mother's funeral last year I wore a dark gray skirt and a soft purple sweater that she loved.  I needed to feel comfortable.  If you already have something you feel comfortable in that is solid and a more muted color than, say, jewel tones, I am sure that would be fine.  The dress you linked looks lovely and if it will wear comfortably for what will surely be a long day I think it is appropriate.

Amber in SJ

Thank you, everyone. The store did not carry the one I linked, but I will go back to the mall tomorrow after dinner and see what Penney's has. Not expecting much, tbh.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your brother.  :grouphug:  Was he your only sibling?

I love the dress in your OP and the options suggested by other PP are lovely as well. Any of them would be appropriate and comfortable as well. I know for myself that the last thing I want to worry about during the funeral is how my clothes look. 

Take good care of yourself.  :grouphug:

I had two brothers. My eldest brother died from lymphoma about 12 years ago. This brother was a year younger than the first. He also died of lymphoma, but his was probably caused by the anti-rejection drugs he had to take because he had Cystic Fibrosis and was a double lung transplant recipient. The drugs can cause lymphoma in some people. The cancer could also have come from the donated lungs themselves, oddly enough, but of course, we will never know. He was diagnosed in April. He did not linger long because he was in such poor health--the chemo for the cancer caused bowel ruptures that never healed. He grew steadily weaker over July and August. He was down to less that 118 pounds and he was 5'11". He hadn't been able to eat for about 2 months. 

They saw the cancer had progressed to his lungs (started in the ab cavity), and the ruptures weren't healing, so he went on hospice at home, and died there, peacefully, but in pain, holding his wife's hand. 

I had a ticket to see him on Sunday, but he died on Saturday. I'm actually glad he did not "wait" for me. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your loss, Chris.  

I think whatever you wear will be fine. I have no idea what anyone wore to either of my parents' services and they were less than a year ago - it isn't something anyone paid attention to. Well, okay, I remember what I wore and I wore the same to both services. I couldn't tell you what anyone else wore though. 

ETA: Thank you for sharing your brother's story with us. It's a privilege. 

Edited by TechWife