Menu

Food bank donations?

Night Elf

I'm part of a program that gives bags of food every other month to a food bank. They come pick the bag up off my porch and leave a new one for the next time. So my question is if you donate to food banks, what brands of food do you buy? Do you buy generic food which can be half the price of brand names? I usually try to find brand names on sale but I forgot about it this month and pickup is tomorrow. I could have saved money if I had bought all generic food items but I feel bad if I do that because I'm trying to help people and it seems strange to try to save a buck in this situation. An example is peanut butter. The generic was $1.49 but I got Peter Pan on sale for $2.29. And I splurged on the mac and cheese. I could have gotten the Kraft dinner for $1.00 a box but instead paid $2.29 for Velveeta because I never buy that.

What do you think?

• Like 1

I donate cash. Cash is king. The food bank can use your $10 and purchase what would've cost you $50 in the store - and since they know their clientele, they can get exactly what they need instead of having to guess. People prefer to give food, for some reason, so food banks work around this preference, but I bet if you called them and asked if you could just start writing a monthly check they'd reply with a rousing "Yes, PLEASE!"

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 8

Our food bank encourages food as well as cash donations. I buy stuff at Aldi. I buy food for my family there and a dollar can stretch far. I don't worry about offending with generic or store brands because the individualscan pick their own items off the shelf. If they don't want the generic PB they can get Jif.

Yes, I'd give cash. 

The food bank has access to sales individuals don't. Also, cash allows them to have the right things at the right time, which saves waste, storage costs, and transportation costs.  Those overheads cost food banks a significant amount of money.

• Like 8

It is an option to leave a check in the bag instead of food. They gave a list of suggested foods to donate so I just work off that list.

How can they buy stuff cheaper than me?

Through bulk buying and corporate matching. Additionally, many food banks are members of groups that, as non-profits, are able to purchase directly from wholesalers at cost or nearly. They aren't getting the grocery store markup.

• Like 4

Yes, I'd give cash. 

The food bank has access to sales individuals don't. Also, cash allows them to have the right things at the right time, which saves waste, storage costs, and transportation costs.  Those overheads cost food banks a significant amount of money.

And when they buy it, they don't have to pay to have volunteers or employees sort it.

They give a list, and conscientious shoppers follow the list, but there's always somebody who thinks "ugh, beggars can't be choosers!" and donates dusty, expired soup from their pantry, half-eaten bags of cereal, or an entire bucket of the candied fruit that goes in fruitcake.

It's not bad to donate food, or even to donate off-list - after all, if you managed to snag a free turkey, or if you find you accidentally got the full-salt soup instead of the low sodium soup, somebody ought to be able to use it even if you can't, right? We had a tenant leave behind an entire recycling bag of unopened boxes of tampons, still in the shrink-wrap. I hauled them over to the nearest food bank, said "Look, I know it's not food, but I bet somebody can use it, right?" and they were happy to have it.

But if you're doing it regularly, you should definitely make cash the backbone of your donation.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2

The nearest food bank donation drop is actually at the library which is next to Safeway. They get lots of Safeway brand can food and dried rations just because people would see the donation barrels and walk over to Safeway to buy food to donate. They are lots of homeless people in my nearby city so donation of ready to eat food like granola bars, soup in a can, canned sardines are appreciated.

Well rats. I never thought money could be more useful than food. I figured since they give out cloth grocery bags, they want food. They send out an email after pickup that says how many pounds of food they received, but I don't remember them giving a dollar amount received.

• Like 2

Well, I read their website and don't see any mention of monetary donations. I could have sworn I read something somewhere about them taking a check. What they do is collect food then deliver it to multiple food banks and church pantries. They have a sorting facility but I guess they don't store food there.

Cash is great because banks can supplement government donations with local bulk purchases. Expired, dented, etc - those are worthless. At the FDA bank I volunteered at there were guidelines for bags, and protein (canned meat, chili, etc) was very welcomed.

Edited by FriedClams

Well rats. I never thought money could be more useful than food. I figured since they give out cloth grocery bags, they want food. They send out an email after pickup that says how many pounds of food they received, but I don't remember them giving a dollar amount received.

I think they do that to create a sense of "buy-in" and personal involvement in the type of work they are doing, to build emotional loyalty in their donors. I suspect that for psychological reasons, a lot of people donate food who would never donate enough cash for the food bank to buy that much food, even though it would cost the donor far less money. (I have my theories about why that is... the anti-handouts mentality in this country has reached the point where some people aren't comfortable giving cash even to institutional charities.) Your donations clearly are worthwhile to them, otherwise they wouldn't bother. But by all means call them and see whether they would prefer the equivalent in cash.

As for the actual food, I would advise you to stretch your dollar on generics. I have had to use a food bank in the past, and I can tell you when you get to that point, you really don't care. I mean, you care if it's appropriate normal food that people actually eat as opposed to weird findings from the back of people's pantries, but you absolutely don't care about the difference between Jif and generic when your position in life is that you wish you could just buy your own generic. There is something of a crisis for food banks in this country because of everything that has gone on economically, so definitely focus on getting as much into their hands as possible. And as a person who has been in that position I thank you!

• Like 5

I tend to buy name brand, but only because that's what I buy for myself.  However, the things I buy for a food pantry donation aren't things I would buy anyway, so maybe that's a moot point.  But I DO try and make it so that anything I purchase would only need water added to prepare it. So shells-and-cheese is better than mac-and-cheese because it doesn't need anything else. 

I buy things like those Betty Crocker Complete Meals, Tuna or Chicken Helper WITH cans of tuna or chicken, If I buy shells-n-cheese I'll also pick up some canned mixed veggies or canned corn to go with-even though they realistically won't be given away together, it's just something I like to do.   A weeks worth of those dinners, plus a large jar of PB, a large jar of jam/jelly, and several packs of fruit cups/applesauce.   If I see a really good deal on pasta sauce I'll pick up a couple of jars along with a box of pasta per jar, and then a tin or two of canned Parmesan.  During the cooler months I'll add family size cans of soup and saltine crackers.  Sometimes I think to pick up a couple of boxes of oatmeal packets too.

Suddenly Salad would probably be a great product to add to a food pantry right now.  Include some cans of chicken that can be stirred in for a complete meal.

• Like 2

Our local food bank is AWESOME. They do like cash donations but they also actively encourage donation of actual food.  There are local food drives and the schools also do food drives as well as have kids volunteer to sort and deliver food. 

One year the director spent a week on the streets with the homeless folks and as a result he posted to Facebook that he wanted to collect wool socks for them because keeping feet warm and dry is so difficult. Encouraging people to drop off a pair of new socks was something everyone could do.  Lots of people also donated gift cards to local fast food places so they could hand them out so the homeless could have a warm place to go sit and drink coffee.  

I think the food drives are good because people can bring just a little bit and it adds up...it keeps people from thinking that their dollar donation is embarrassing.  Kids get to see the food pile up and it gives parents a chance to let their kids understand it.   In our community the food bank needs are almost always visible- the local grocery store has bags of food with tags and you can buy a bag and drop it in the donate box on your way out. The library often does food for fines. Churches have lists of what the food bank needs. Our church lists the needs in the bulletin every week and donations are put right on the alter and everyone sees them.  I see some little kids putting food up there every single week and I hope this leads to those kids having a giving heart when they are grown.  

So yeah, money might be king but there's value in donating food, too. 

• Like 3

Food bank vs. food pantry sometimes makes a difference. A lot of small pantries deal only in food donations (or have a volunteer shop our regular stores with cash donations.)  

I'm a devoted deal shopper/stockpiler for my own family, so I do the same for the smaller pantries and various drives.  Sometimes that means a major name brand will be in the haul. Sometimes it doesn't.  

• Like 2

When I donate, it's either cash or whatever I find in my pantry (I don't have expired food, I don't stock stuff we don't eat) that is useful.  If I would eat the food, I would donate the food - so generics are fine.  Another way to look at it is - if you buy cheaper, you can afford to donate more.  

I tend to buy name brand, but only because that's what I buy for myself.  However, the things I buy for a food pantry donation aren't things I would buy anyway, so maybe that's a moot point.  But I DO try and make it so that anything I purchase would only need water added to prepare it. So shells-and-cheese is better than mac-and-cheese because it doesn't need anything else. 

I buy things like those Betty Crocker Complete Meals, Tuna or Chicken Helper WITH cans of tuna or chicken, If I buy shells-n-cheese I'll also pick up some canned mixed veggies or canned corn to go with-even though they realistically won't be given away together, it's just something I like to do.   A weeks worth of those dinners, plus a large jar of PB, a large jar of jam/jelly, and several packs of fruit cups/applesauce.   If I see a really good deal on pasta sauce I'll pick up a couple of jars along with a box of pasta per jar, and then a tin or two of canned Parmesan.  During the cooler months I'll add family size cans of soup and saltine crackers.  Sometimes I think to pick up a couple of boxes of oatmeal packets too.

Suddenly Salad would probably be a great product to add to a food pantry right now.  Include some cans of chicken that can be stirred in for a complete meal.

I also buy things that go together - pasta and sauce, etc.   Tuna, mushroom soup, egg noodles.  Oatmeal packets may be more useful than a big container of rolled oats.  I try to think about the person who might use the items so I might get something I wouldn't normally use - I'm picturing a harried working mom, who isn't necessarily going to measure out oatmeal to simmer on the stove, kwim?  But packets would be helpful.  

I feel bad thinking of people who donate bad goods like expired foods. I understand no one wants to throw away food but expired food is wrong. I don't donate from my pantry because we use what we buy. Stuff doesn't sit in my pantry for a long time. I do not bulk buy because I have nowhere to store it. So for the food bank donations, I specifically buy for them. I usually buy peanut butter, spaghetti sauce, noodles and other dry pastas, canned veggies, canned fruit, and macaroni and cheese. These are things they have on their list. I've made baby bags a couple of times, adding diapers and baby foods and cereals. This particular organization does not take perishable foods. To be honest, I have no idea how a food bank or pantry works. I'm have too much anxiety to volunteer. I feel good about donating the food at least. I'd be willing to donate monthly but they only pick up every other month. My guess is they receive lots of food they distribute. It's a local organization too.

• Like 2

When I donate, it's either cash or whatever I find in my pantry (I don't have expired food, I don't stock stuff we don't eat) that is useful.  If I would eat the food, I would donate the food - so generics are fine.  Another way to look at it is - if you buy cheaper, you can afford to donate more.  

I also buy things that go together - pasta and sauce, etc.   Tuna, mushroom soup, egg noodles.  Oatmeal packets may be more useful than a big container of rolled oats.  I try to think about the person who might use the items so I might get something I wouldn't normally use - I'm picturing a harried working mom, who isn't necessarily going to measure out oatmeal to simmer on the stove, kwim?  But packets would be helpful.  

Generally, donations are sorted out into categories en masse and then distributed per category, so I don't think it does much good for an individual donor to buy coordinated recipes, and it could actually be counterproductive to donate things that rely on each other to be useful.

Also, as a person who has been in that position, I would strongly suggest you go ahead and buy the big container of oats. The fact that there's just so much more food in the big container totally overrides convenience for people who are having trouble just making sure they have enough. Please do not assume that people who are having financial troubles are unable or unwilling to perform basic cooking tasks. I used to participate in a bulk food distribution through our regional food bank and there would be hundreds of people eagerly lined up for heads of cabbage and broccoli, sacks of potatoes and onions, whatever random ugly vegetables the food distribution system coughed up, brown rice, cans of broth, etc. - the kind of stuff that takes real effort to do anything with. Yes many poor people are harried but try to imagine the situation where the question of just getting something to eat totally dwarfs that.

(The one obvious exception is the homeless who lack cooking facilities. If one is interested it should be possible to find a ministry that helps get them with convenience foods, which I suspect may be harder to come by through the channels the food banks use to get general groceries.)

• Like 3

I typically buy what we eat except for the more expensive allergen free stuff. Since I buy aldi or store brands for us I do the same when donating. The only other difference is I don't always buy organic when donating.

If you are donating food instead of cash, it may be worth it to call and ask if they have a market for allergen-free stuff. People who cannot eat gluten, or peanut butter, or whatever-else sometimes have a hard time at food banks because a lot of people just go along with "beggars can't be choosers" and go with the cheapest stuff in bulk. Or they think "Quinoa is fancy stuff, the poor don't know how to cook that", that sort of thing.

It may be that the food bank has one family that can't have dairy and would appreciate smaller amounts of what they can eat instead of bulk amounts of what they can't eat.

• Like 2

Night Elf--I don't worry about generic v. name brand so much as I look at the quality of the food that I'm donating.  I also try to throw in a number of things that aren't typically included.  I live in a very ethnic part of the world, where rice and beans are asked for by the food bank because they are familiar and sought after by those using the bank, and so I throw in things that are going to be used as those rice and bean meals are made---olive oil, certain spices, chiles, etc. I also donate a number of pre-made meals that only need heating: mac and cheese (add hot water only bowls), soups, peanut butter, canned tuna, canned chicken, etc.  

Our particular pantry does not want fresh donations, but the church pantry my mother works at will even take your garden produce excess to give to families.

One local food bank here posts on their website and FB page what they currently need/ desperately need/don't need in the way of food donations.

They use cash donations, in part, to purchase meat, milk, eggs, frozen veggies and a few other staples. They also take donations from deer hunters, if the meat had been processed at an approved facility.

I buy extra of what WE eat in non-perishables and other typically donated foods and then give from OUR pantry unless the food pantry wants very specific things.  I feel better giving what is good enough for us; sometimes it's name brand, sometimes not.  :)

Also, for those wondering... around here March to May (roughly) tend to be the lean months at the food bank. Summer and Fall there is a lot of produce items. October to January there are a lot of donations. But spring there is less food given.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I volunteered at a pantry that preferred that items from a list be donated instead of cash. They didn't have manpower or connections to do the shopping.

If they ask for food I take them at their word that they want food. Huge food banks usually ask for money.

I donate the brands our family would eat except if what we eat comes in glass. Pantries usual prefer unbreakable containers.

I donate Velveeta Mac and cheese instead of Kraft because it doesn't need milk and butter.