Menu

Life in leggings...

I am so thankful leggings and boots are still in fashion and I hope it continues for another couple of years until I no longer have to work and then what I wear on most days won't matter.

You know, eventually what we love will be "old lady clothes".  I think I will just hold my cards at the leggings, tunics, dresses, boots, and sandals phase and let them grow old with me  :lol:

• Like 5

I've gotten a couple of pairs of the Viv company leggings from amazon - inexpensive, comfy, and the ones that have been washed 4 times still look good. I wear them with the dresses that are just above the knee and flip-flops. I just discovered them and love the way that they feel - it's a nice change from my usual summer 'need something decent to be seen in public' uniform of either a maxi skirt or else sport knit capris from lands end.

I just bought a pair of these yesterday.  Super excited to try them.

• Like 1

Everyone says this. What does that even mean?!? I would imagine butter to be uncomfortable on my legs??

I am assuming it is the new word for silky soft.  Thick and soft against your skin.  I have some brushed leggings with the same wide waistband as Lularoe so I assume I would love Lularoe.  I have never tried them though. 

Sorry  y'all, I didn't think I was going to respond to so many things or I would have multi-quoted.  I am a multi-quote failure!

Edited by Attolia

Except...summer is coming. And it gets hot, hot, hot and humid here.

What is the summer equivalent to leggings?  :001_unsure:

I think that's why they don't seem to be popular here. I rarely see anyone in leggings. Occasionally in winter (defined as: only January) I see someone in Lularoe prints or knock offs. Mostly it's just too hot for them year round.

Capri-length leggings. ;)

Also skirts.

Even capri length ones can be hot because they hug the skin. Loose clothing is much cooler. Capri pants (regular pants) and shorts are the standard uniform for everyday wear. Many people even have their "dressy" shorts. :)

• Like 3

I spend my life in some version of this.  I have a thing about keeping the crotchal area covered in something that doesn't look painted on; so skirt, looser pants, tunic . . .SOMETHING that doesn't reveal the shape of your personal anatomy.

https://www.amazon.com/BellyLady-Belly-Tribal-Costume-Ballroom/dp/B0049KSE0K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494260497&sr=8-2&keywords=tribal+belly+dance+pants

• Like 4

I've been eliminating any and all uncomfortable clothing.

I just ordered 5 dresses to be my summer uniform but leggings as a layering piece are a real thing here given that we generally get cooler days even in summer.

I say proceed with your plan with zeal.

• Like 7

I think that's why they don't seem to be popular here. I rarely see anyone in leggings. Occasionally in winter (defined as: only January) I see someone in Lularoe prints or knock offs. Mostly it's just too hot for them year round.

Even capri length ones can be hot because they hug the skin. Loose clothing is much cooler. Capri pants (regular pants) and shorts are the standard uniform for everyday wear. Many people even have their "dressy" shorts. :)

Exactly what she said. Even maxi skirts or dresses are too hot here. The more skin you can expose the better. I have no idea how people survived here before air conditioning. :cool: 

• Like 5

Whisper it softly: I wear leggings to work.  My favourite kit this winter has been black leggings, knee-length flat black leather boots, and a grey cashmere/merino knitted thigh-length dress.  With my silver-grey pixie cut and my funky glasses, it's been looking good.

• Like 24

I just bought a pair of these yesterday.  Super excited to try them.

I bought some last week before reading this and I really like the ones I ordered. They're very soft and thick enough to feel like pants. I hope you like them too. 

I was always in the leggings aren't pants group until recently. I'm in my 2nd trimester, when maternity clothes are too big and regular clothes are too small, and leggings are a revelation! It's wonderful. I'm not sure how I survived my other pregnancies without them and if I can make the transition back to pants. I literally had pants falling off of me trying to wear maternity pants the last times- I would hold my toddler in one hand and my pants up with the other. I'd use all kinds of safety pins to make it work only to have them pop. I guess my butt is too flat or something to hold pants up!

The leggings are so comfortable. I don't have to worry about them falling off or being uncomfortably tight in the middle. I think I can wear them for the rest of the pregnancy, post partum period, and maybe even forever. And, I know some people will scoff, but they seriously look better on me. I got some tunics to go with them which reach at least my mid thigh, so everything is decent- not that I particularly care if my flat butt hangs out. 

The only negative is that now I have to carry a purse because the pockets are either nonexistent or too small. It's a small price to pay, and in the fall, I can use my jacket pockets. 

• Like 1

If you insist on wearing leggings (don't, they ain't pants!!), make sure you bend over in front of someone you trust. Sometimes they go see-through when they are stretched out. I'm making an assumption here (which I shouldn't do with the loose-moraled leggings wearing crowd) but I assume no one outside of reality TV wants to show the world her underthings when picking up a pencil.

I agree!  A lot of legging look opaque enough when a person is standing still.  It's when you bend over to pick something up  (like in a gym) that you might give someone a flash of something.  I've seen my fair share of thongs (which aren't mine) in the gym.  

• Like 1

I bet our grandmothers had a nearly identical conversation when pants for women became a thing.

I was just thinking about this today.  Yes, I bet they did.  They were either scoffed at or scoffing at the idea of - gasp - jeans on a woman.  Not decent at all.    I don't know anyone who is not okay with leggings and a long sweater or dress though.  To me it really does seem more modest than much of what is being worn.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 4

I don't have any leggings that are made out of the same material as yoga pants. My leggings are pretty think and have some bulk to them. I have a pair of burgundy leggings that has pleats and look more like slacks when paired with a longer top. I also have a pair of blue leggings that has belt loops and pockets. None of the leggings I wear to work would be appropriate for working out. I don't call my work out pants leggings. 

I have seen women at the CC who wear tights as leggings. No, no, no, no, no. I am torn between minding my own business and wanting to be a good samaritan and save them from embarrassment. One girl wore a pair of black tights as leggings with a shirt that barely covered her waist. She had on bright burgundy undies that everyone could see (front and back).

I distinguish these categories of bottoms:  pantyhose, tights, leggings, pants, sweats.

Pantyhose and tights are worn under skirts and dresses with pumps or boots.

Leggings are worn with long (caboose covering) shirts and can be worn with flats, low boots, or high boots. I've never worn them with heels. Mostly because I think of Peg Bundy and I just can't.

Pants are worn with more form fitting tops, tailored tops, cardigan sets, or shirts that hit at the waistline.The type of shoe worn depends on the occasion and the cut of the pant leg.

Sweats are worn with t-shirts, sweat shirts, or those wonderful shirts with the holes in the sleeves for the thumbs to go through (okay, I wear those with leggings, too). These are paired with tennis or running shoes. Capris sweats can be worn with sandals of any type.

• Like 6

DD and I both wear leggings.  And we live where it is 100+ degrees outside most of the summer (and sometimes in the fall).  Thin capri leggings in summer with a cute tunic top that breathes well.  Thicker, sometimes lined leggings in the (brief) winter with a sweater.  Love it.  I even have a pair with pockets that work well for my cell phone and wallet.

And this thread is awesome for legging ideas.   :hurray:

• Like 4

I don't have any leggings that are made out of the same material as yoga pants. My leggings are pretty think and have some bulk to them. I have a pair of burgundy leggings that has pleats and look more like slacks when paired with a longer top. I also have a pair of blue leggings that has belt loops and pockets. None of the leggings I wear to work would be appropriate for working out. I don't call my work out pants leggings. 

I have seen women at the CC who wear tights as leggings. No, no, no, no, no. I am torn between minding my own business and wanting to be a good samaritan and save them from embarrassment. One girl wore a pair of black tights as leggings with a shirt that barely covered her waist. She had on bright burgundy undies that everyone could see (front and back).

I distinguish these categories of bottoms:  pantyhose, tights, leggings, pants, sweats.

Pantyhose and tights are worn under skirts and dresses with pumps or boots.

Leggings are worn with long (caboose covering) shirts and can be worn with flats, low boots, or high boots. I've never worn them with heels. Mostly because I think of Peg Bundy and I just can't.

Pants are worn with more form fitting tops, tailored tops, cardigan sets, or shirts that hit at the waistline.The type of shoe worn depends on the occasion and the cut of the pant leg.

Sweats are worn with t-shirts, sweat shirts, or those wonderful shirts with the holes in the sleeves for the thumbs to go through (okay, I wear those with leggings, too). These are paired with tennis or running shoes. Capris sweats can be worn with sandals of any type.

I love your run down here  :001_tt1:

And, yes!!! about the tights - Ive seen that a few times.  I feel like people who wear tights as leggings are giving us a bad image.  

It may depend on the yoga pants. Some yoga pants are made of thicker material than others. Also, not all yoga pants are tight/form fitting. 

Yea, it must depend on the yoga pant.  My yoga pants are fairly thick, much thicker than tights.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 2

I ordered another pair of harem pants and two flowy skirts.

I bought so many harem pants when I was living in Reno, NV. It gets *windy* there, so anything flowy was going to flow right on over your head most days. I have harem pants that people think are skirts at first glance. Nice and breezy without the risk of a wardrobe malfunction.

• Like 4

The Forever21 knit leggings and the Target Circo leggings are see through and almost as thin as the thicker kind of pantyhose. I use them for layering under jeans even in hot summer heat.

ETA:

When I am in the mood to be dressy, my formal dresses are ankle length and paired with boots, no one can tell if I am wearing leggings or stockings or pantyhose.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I bet our grandmothers had a nearly identical conversation when pants for women became a thing.

Um, I remember conversations about whether wearing pants to work was appropriate attire for women.  :leaving:

Exactly what she said. Even maxi skirts or dresses are too hot here. The more skin you can expose the better. I have no idea how people survived here before air conditioning. :cool:

A few years ago I bought a couple long dresses thinking I'd wear them in the summer. Nope. They cover my legs and as a result are too hot to wear.

For summer, i'm in flimsy sundresses and flip flops. I'm not young. I'm not thin. And I don't care. It's already been in the 90s and it's barely May. Something has got to give.

Here too. The forecast for the next few days - https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/32780:4:US

Whisper it softly: I wear leggings to work.  My favourite kit this winter has been black leggings, knee-length flat black leather boots, and a grey cashmere/merino knitted thigh-length dress.  With my silver-grey pixie cut and my funky glasses, it's been looking good.

That sounds quite classy looking. I wish we could wear them here. The weather just makes it no feasible. 

• Like 3

I haven't read all the posts, but IMNSHO you're fine; "life in leggings and a baggy top" was more or less the fashion advice given to me, as an apple-shaped gal who doesn't really want to have to think about trends going in and out of style and is having enough trouble dealing with an aging body and "you kids get off my lawn" psychological issues.

My fashionista friends are knowledgeable and I trust them.

Champion (Target brand) yoga pants are just as comfortable as leggings and don't make me feel as naked.

If you're slimmer than me, plain old extra large men's T shirts work for casual wear and would be less expensive, just as long as they literally as well as figuratively CYA.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Uniforms are good! My winter uniform this year is dark blue straight leg jeans with tops and cardigans. Dress up with boots and scarves. I have a lot of dresses hanging in my wardrobe, so if I need to dress up more I can, but I was just so sick of thinking about what to wear. Really tired of it. So I gave myself a comfortable, but nice, uniform. 

I've had a "uniform" for years--it's changed every 7-10 years but not that much.  :0). If people were to see up together, they might wonder if our mutual mother dressed us.  :0)

That sounds quite classy looking. I wish we could wear them here. The weather just makes it no feasible. 

We have it the other way round.  I'm still happily in leggings and boots this week - it's about 12 degrees C with a chilly NE wind.  Not so much call for shorts or sandals here.  They live in my 'getting on a plane' storage bag.

• Like 4

These discussion always remind me that we all have vastly different experiences and local cultures. I rarely see someone in leggings and longish tops or tunics. It's a cute look when I see it.

However, most of what I see around here is leggings with short waist length tops. Some are so thin that you can clearly see underwear and all are so tight that they really seem more like thick tights then anything else.

I think that's where the leggings aren't pants idea comes in. It's not the leggings worn with long tops or short dresses.

• Like 3

love leggings and tunics, with doc martens boots.

yes, tragic. Love them so much! And other women who were also 90s kids totally get it!

Docs also work with dresses or skirts. Otherwise it's thongs (flip flops) or uggs... or gumboots!

• Like 6

yes, tragic. Love them so much! And other women who were also 90s kids totally get it!

Docs also work with dresses or skirts. Otherwise it's thongs (flip flops) or uggs... or gumboots!

Yes, yes, yes!

• Like 3

I'm old enough to be your mommy and I get it. ;)

I loved my Doc Martens. Also my Birks, may they rest in peace. ;)

• Like 4

Flowy skirts! *swoon*  Should we start links for flowy skirts here too or should that be its own expensive  helpful thread?

I bought so many harem pants when I was living in Reno, NV. It gets *windy* there, so anything flowy was going to flow right on over your head most days. I have harem pants that people think are skirts at first glance. Nice and breezy without the risk of a wardrobe malfunction.

These were satin, floor length circle skirts for costuming. You don't want that link. You'd look crazy in the grocery store. Like Xuzi said, the harem pants keep you decent when you're walking in a wind tunnel or spinning on a raised stage.

• Like 4

For me personally the important thing is that the leggings not be skin tight (I buy my leggings one size up because I like them better that way). If they're not skin tight and not see-through then I'm content to wear leggings a lot.

I think there's a lot of misplaced hating on leggings/jeggings. Like I said if they're not skin tight or see- through what is the difference between leggings and other pants except lack of pockets and that they're fitted from the knee down?

Skinny jean hating is the same to me. Skinny jeans are just jeans that fit snug from the knee down.

Edited by pinkmint
  • Like 2

If no pockets is an issue for you, OP, my own solution is one of these:

http://www.crochetgeek.com/2011/10/crochet-mushroom-chapstick-necklace.html

which could hold a small set of house and car keys, a flash drive, a cigarette lighter, ticket stubs, currency, or any other small "gotta have in my back pocket at all times" item just as easily as a chapstick and is readily and inexpensively available on Etsy/eBay if you don't want to make it yourself.

Carol, I have the same body type so I totally get you. :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

See, and from the knee down is where I am slim and trim. So having pants that emphasize that is a Great Good Thing. That is all.

Nordstrom Rack Westgate has a nice selection. We went for the 50% off clearance boots sale though.

Leggings and skinny jeans are convenient for wearing boots and wellies :)

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

For those of you that like this type of top-- how do you not look pregnant in it?  Are you just super slim?  Anything flowy like this makes me look 6 months pregnant.  I need tunics that are slimmer fitting with a defined waist.  It is the only reason I do not wear leggings.  I must have a tunic that is slim fitting that goes all the way down to mid thigh.  I've never found one.  It could be that I am 5'9".   It is hot here and sweaters are out of the question.

• Like 2

I bought a Fitbelt to wear with my leggings if I was doing some running around (NOT literal running, I don't go there) and didn't want to carry a purse.  It has little pockets and can hold keys, a phone, a credit card, some cash.  It's very comfy to wear.

• Like 1

I like to wear dolman tops with my leggings, ones that stop just slightly above my crotch. They have enough flowiness to them that I like the way they look with form-fitting bottoms, but also give me a more defined waistline and backside than I get with tunic tops.

• Like 2

For those of you that like this type of top-- how do you not look pregnant in it? Are you just super slim? Anything flowy like this makes me look 6 months pregnant. I need tunics that are slimmer fitting with a defined waist. It is the only reason I do not wear leggings. I must have a tunic that is slim fitting that goes all the way down to mid thigh. I've never found one. It could be that I am 5'9". It is hot here and sweaters are out of the question.

My DH and I call those "pregnancy rumor shirts". Because, once you have 5 kids, people are always wondering anyway.

• Like 6

My DH and I call those "pregnancy rumor shirts". Because, once you have 5 kids, people are always wondering anyway.

Us apple shaped gals always have those rumours anyway.

:rofl:

Nobody dares ask until I'm 5-6 months along. With ds9 it was even longer because I was an older mom so they probably thought "tumor" before "baby".

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

I'm wondering too.  I am pretty thin but my family always tell me that I look pregnant in these kinds of tops.  I should just tell them to deal with it because they are very comfy. 

I'm sick and tired of wearing form fitting t-shirts but I am so very basic in my wardrobe that anything that veers away from this look is shocking to the family (lol) and even myself. 

I don't do well in the flowy ones, either.  I buy tunic tops that inflect in just a bit at the waist and then flare just a little.  They kind of suggest a waist, but they skim my whole body.

They come down to mid to top of the thigh, but then again, I'm fairly short.

I don't have any links, because they go in and out of availability so fast and it's been about two years since I've bought one, but here is one that is kind of similar.  On me, it would hit at upper thigh, because I am shorter than all models.  https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/1996928/nic-zoe-digital-waves-layered-tank?color=MULTI

Or I wear a shorter, more fitted top (maybe lower hip length) with a long sleeveless flowy vest over it that goes down almost to my knees.  If the top is the same color as the leggings, this works even better.  Like this:  https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/1995270/melissa-mccarthy-seven-7-short-sleeve-sweater-plus-size?color=BRNT%20CORAL

Incidentally, my favorite tunic is a Melissa McCartney one that is juuuust a little longer than most, but still is a skimmer.  She seems to 'get' my body type.

• Like 1

I bought a Fitbelt to wear with my leggings if I was doing some running around (NOT literal running, I don't go there) and didn't want to carry a purse.  It has little pockets and can hold keys, a phone, a credit card, some cash.  It's very comfy to wear.

Yes, a chic running belt is great with leggings as long as your top isn't too wide (because it cinches it in, which can look funny.)

And it looks far less frumpy than a fanny pack.  Plus you can carry a little flask of water, which I really like if I'm out for a walk in the neighborhood.

• Like 1