Menu

Easter Cooking

bookbard

We're having family Easter gathering tomorrow (Saturday) due to family work commitments.

Today I made

- Chocolate Easter nests (with the kids)

- Chocolate Semifreddo

- Hot Cross Bun bread & butter pudding

- German Potato Salad

and tomorrow morning will make;

- salad with honeycomb, walnut & feta

There will be lots of food as everyone will be bringing something. But that means leftovers so that's ok.

What Easter cooking will you be doing?

My menu is..

German rouladen

Spaetzle

Red cabbage

Pumpernickle bread

Mac n cheese for DS's girlfriend

Orange creamsicle cake (I'd make a black forest cake but there will be plenty of chocolate and wanted a lighter dessert option)

• Like 1

We're having family Easter gathering tomorrow (Saturday) due to family work commitments.

Today I made

- Chocolate Easter nests (with the kids)

- Chocolate Semifreddo

- Hot Cross Bun bread & butter pudding

- German Potato Salad

and tomorrow morning will make;

- salad with honeycomb, walnut & feta

There will be lots of food as everyone will be bringing something. But that means leftovers so that's ok.

What Easter cooking will you be doing?

Chocolate Easter Nests sounds SO adorable!

I'm partitally still deciding. It's DD's birthday as well, so I'm making her what she likes for Saturday on top of Easter dinner Sunday. I'm relieved that most extended family members have other plans, TBH. There has been some added stress around here with keeping my ill cat alive and my MIL staying here having had a high blood pressure issue yesterday. So I feel like this weekend is fast arriving without being well-planned and I still have food items to buy today/tomorrow! (But here I am, browsing the boards, ignoring that I have a long list of things to get busy doing right this very moment. My bad.)

• Like 1

I made a trip to the meat market for a nice ham last weekend. Some years I've tried other meats but most of the crowd seems to favor ham.  I'm also making deviled eggs, homemade rolls, and this lemon jello:  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/frosted-pineapple-lemon-gelatin

Others are bringing:

spinach salad

strawberry pretzel jello salad

potatoes

broccoli casserole

veggie tray

fresh fruit

I usually bake hot cross buns today. We're going to miss them, but I'm scrambling to get some painting done so I'm going bake them on Monday instead. It's a no school day so I'll enjoy it, and have time to ship some out to my college guys.

Roast lamb and potatoes, roast carrots and brussels sprouts, pan-fried asparagus, and our favorite Jell-O "salad." I cheated and bought mini croissants, because I'm definitely not baking those. But I am making a lemon cheesecake with homemade strawberry sauce for dessert!

Edited by MrsMommy

I finally decided on our main dish last night. Deli rolls. I just did not want to cook and realized I was dreading it. I polled the people and it turned out they have no specific food wishes for Easter and thought deli rolls sounded great. Yay, me. I also bought ice cream for dessert instead of the huge cheesecake I usually do.

• Like 1

For Easter dinner we will have grilled tri-tip steaks, sautéed mushrooms and sweet onions, caesar salad, and garlic bread. For dessert, this amazing marble bundt cake that I first made for my birthday, but that one stuck to the pan (if you read a tip on FB about using butter and sugar to prepare a cake pan instead of butter and flour, ignore it!). It was delicious though!

http://www.cookingbythebook.com/recipes/sour-cream-marble-cake/

For Easter brunch at church, I will be making mini cheese danishes from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Bread Every Day. This will be my fourth year of that--they are very well-received so it's become a tradition.

Tomorrow will be a very busy baking day for the danish and cake.

• Like 1

I bought a ham on sale this week.  I am still trying to decide on sides.  I am thinking maybe mac & cheese, but I don't want the carbs.  I will look at the store and see what fruits or veggies look good today.  I am hoping for a good pineapple.  For dessert I am making a carrot cake and youngest was supposed to help me decorate it, but he is sick today.

I made hot cross buns for breakfast today.  We may still have some left on Easter.

I finally decided on our main dish last night. Deli rolls. I just did not want to cook and realized I was dreading it. I polled the people and it turned out they have no specific food wishes for Easter and thought deli rolls sounded great. Yay, me. I also bought ice cream for dessert instead of the huge cheesecake I usually do.

That sounds great!  

• Like 1

Between my mom and I, we will be having:

Ham w/brown sugar & pineapple glaze

Baked beans

macaroni and cheese

deviled eggs

rolls

Corn pudding

Sweet potato casserole

Creamed peas

and I am making Banana pudding, but I don't know what dessert mom was making because she hadn't decided yet. :lol:

Oh, and I shouldn't forget my brother and sil's contribution:

tea.  :glare:

(yes, I'm feeling totally snarky about how this pans out every holiday. At Christmas they couldn't even do the tea!!!) :rant:

Edited by jewellsmommy

I'm a little nervous but I won't be cooking as I'll be 41 weeks pregnant (unless I can miraculously have this baby .. Then I really really won't be cooking) Trying to figure out how it will all work with our allergies. I usually cook a weeks worth of food and goodies for us today. I think everyone but me will be fine and I'll just eat what I always eat.

Breakfast is the biggest deal here because it breaks our fast. I think it will just be French toast, bacon and coffee. Maybe dairy free ice cream and chocolate for the kids too. DH is going to grill steaks at some point but hopefully DH and kids can find enough at the feast at church.

Between my mom and I, we will be having:

Ham w/brown sugar & pineapple glaze

Baked beans

macaroni and cheese

deviled eggs

rolls

Corn pudding

Sweet potato casserole

Creamed peas

and I am making Banana pudding, but I don't know what dessert mom was making because she hadn't decided yet. :lol:

Oh, and I shouldn't forget my brother and sil's contribution:

tea. :glare:

(yes, I'm feeling totally snarky about how this pans out every holiday. At Christmas they couldn't even do the tea!!!) :rant:

Come sit next to me and I will tell you about The Sweet Potatoes That Didn't Happen:

One year, an Unreliable Food Contributor said she'd bring sweet potatoes to Thanksgivng Dinner. In the hustle and bustle of everyone arriving and doing last minute things to get dinner on the table, the sweet potatoes were overlooked.

We were all sitting, passing dishes, starting to taste things when one SIL (Sue) said to another SIL, "Hey, Patty! Where are the sweet potatoes? You said you'd bring them."

Patty replied, "Oh! Hand me my purse!"

"Your...purse?"

"Yeah, it's on the bed, with my coat."

So Sue got Patty's purse and handed it her. Patty pulled out a can of sweet potatoes and handed it to Sue. Everyone else was eating by now. Sue was holding the can of sweet potatoes, staring at it, with a look that was as close an embodiment of the expression 'WTF?' as I have ever seen.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" Sue asked.

Patty had already turned back to her plate and was eating. "Oh!" She sounded surprised Sue was talking to her. "Just heat them up in the microwave. They have their own juice."

This is one of my favorite Thanksgiving stories. And "everyone brings a dish" stories. And Patty and Sue stories. And General In-Law stories.

Sometimes at family meals, during quiet moments, I'll say:

"Hand me my purse."

Or, "They have their own juice."

• Like 7

Come sit next to me and I will tell you about The Sweet Potatoes That Didn't Happen:

One year, an Unreliable Food Contributor said she'd bring sweet potatoes to Thanksgivng Dinner. In the hustle and bustle of everyone arriving and doing last minute things to get dinner on the table, the sweet potatoes were overlooked.

We were all sitting, passing dishes, starting to taste things when one SIL (Sue) said to another SIL, "Hey, Patty! Where are the sweet potatoes? You said you'd bring them."

Patty replied, "Oh! Hand me my purse!"

"Your...purse?"

"Yeah, it's on the bed, with my coat."

So Sue got Patty's purse and handed it her. Patty pulled out a can of sweet potatoes and handed it to Sue. Everyone else was eating by now. Sue was holding the can of sweet potatoes, staring at it, with a look that was as close an embodiment of the expression 'WTF?' as I have ever seen.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" Sue asked.

Patty had already turned back to her plate and was eating. "Oh!" She sounded surprised Sue was talking to her. "Just heat them up in the microwave. They have their own juice."

This is one of my favorite Thanksgiving stories. And "everyone brings a dish" stories. And Patty and Sue stories. And General In-Law stories.

Sometimes at family meals, during quiet moments, I'll say:

"Hand me my purse."

Or, "They have their own juice."

:lol:  That is hilarious! Sweet potatoes must bring out the crazy in people.  :lol:

My brother once brought a raw sweet potato to a Thanksgiving dinner. My mom asked, "what's up with the sweet potato?"

Brother says he wanted to try a real sweet potato as opposed to my sweet potato casserole. 

me: "Um, excuse you, my dish is made with real sweet potatoes thank you very much. " :glare:  He shrugged and microwaved his potato. He took like 2 bites of his real potato and then ate my dish instead.  :lol:  

• Like 2

:lol: That is hilarious! Sweet potatoes must bring out the crazy in people. :lol:

My brother once brought a raw sweet potato to a Thanksgiving dinner. My mom asked, "what's up with the sweet potato?"

Brother says he wanted to try a real sweet potato as opposed to my sweet potato casserole.

me: "Um, excuse you, my dish is made with real sweet potatoes thank you very much. " :glare: He shrugged and microwaved his potato. He took like 2 bites of his real potato and then ate my dish instead. :lol:

Gah! Did he think you had faux sweet potatoes? :lol:

I loooove sweet potatoes...you could serve me sweet potatoes grown on Mars with a Very Special Fertilizer and I'd eat them.

• Like 1

Ham, scalloped potatoes, bread machine rolls, layered salad, asparagus, creamed corn, and my late mil's strawberry jello. Big group tomorrow, so I bought cheesecake and poundcake with fruit for dessert. Other family are bringing deviled eggs, beets, and veggie/relish tray.

I made Italian Easter bread for the work crew Thursday, and we'll make those again Saturday night for Sunday morning, for a different Easter treat. http://bakewithchristina.com/italian-easter-bread/#comment-5976

Edited by Tina

Fresh Market is cooking for us :P

We have no local family. We used to cook the entire meal, but spending hours cooking the entire traditional meal, to spend only 30 minutes or so eating it, then spending another couple hours cleaning up from the cooking extravaganza put me in a foul mood.

So, for the last couple years, we've outsourced it. We call in (or order online) through Honeybaked or, this year, Fresh Market. So all we are doing is picking up our orders tonight, and reheating tomorrow. Not going to lie -- it's nice. It'd be nicer to have oodles of family around, but we don't, so this works.

How bad is it that I'm still deciding???

not at all 

it's just us for easter. i'm thinking bacon wrapped hotdogs, roasted corn,  and potato salad for the kids and fresh ravioli in a spinach cream sauce for the grown ups. 

that's the fanciest meal i have planned, besides the turkey i bought last night that's still very frozen. 

and a 1970s style pink bunny cake. oh yeah. that's so holiday. 

Edited by Desert Strawberry