Menu

Any negatives to living in Australia or New Zealand?

displace

I can get sliced pickled beets in a can or a jar, too.

I grew up eating them room temperature as part of a salad plate, or warm as Harvard beets (there is some kind of a glaze or sauce, I think mostly just adding sugar).

Good to know -- I need to get some to try on burgers!

• Like 1

I have been following this thread for several days now, and I'm *still* trying to pick my jaw up off the floor over the beets-n-hamburger thing. Just, WHY?!? Why would you ruin a perfectly delicious, juicy, tasty, beefy burger with a nasty ol' root vegetable? Why?!? I just can't even!

Edited by Kinsa

I have been following this thread for several days now, and I'm *still* trying to pick my jaw up off the floor over the beets-n-hamburger thing. Just, WHY?!? Why would you run a perfectly delicious, juicy, tasty, beefy burger with a nasty ol' root vegetable? Why?!? I just can't even!

Tinned beetroot is sweet.

Tinned beetroot is sweet.

No. Just, no. Burgers aren't supposed to be sweet. Or pickled. Or root-y.

I have come to the conclusion that I shall never live in Australia/NZ, based entirely upon this culinary abomination. ðŸ˜

Edited by Kinsa

The beetroot isn't mandatory. :lol:

Yes, but I would KNOW. I would know that people around me partake in this CLEARLY satanic ritual. I could never cohort with such oddity. 😆

Eta: I had to look it up, and cohort is not a verb. Oh well. Lol

Edited by Kinsa

No. Just, no. Burgers aren't supposed to be sweet. Or pickled. Or root-y.

I have come to the conclusion that I shall never live in Australia/NZ, based entirely upon this culinary abomination. ðŸ˜

The pickled beets on burgers was no different than relish in taste at all.  They are simply a different texture and colour.

If you can't quite wrap your head around the beets, then don't start asking what French people put on their burgers.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

The pickled beets on burgers was no different than relish in taste at all.  They are simply a different texture and colour.

If you can't quite wrap your head around the beets, then don't start asking what French people put on their burgers.  :laugh:

I'm afraid.....very afraid!

Karen,

who has learned to eat hamburgers with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo, possibly a DILL pickle, as an acceptable alternative to the way the Good Lord intended----cheese, mustard, chili, and non-sweet mayo-based coleslaw (another topic), onions allowed for those who just must have them. ;)

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 2

You are almost there! Just a slice of beetroot and you're done. Go on, you can do it!

LOL, the closest I will come to anything beet-related is the bit of beet juice used to color the pickled turnips served with my hummus at the Lebanese restaurant (at least I assume that's what they use). I have done roasted beets, but they are not something I'd seek out. Not a fan of sweet pickles or pickle relish of any kind---give me dill all the way! I don't even put chopped sweet pickles in my potato salad or deviled eggs, as many do around here, and my mayo should, if possible, be one without sugar or it doesn't taste right.

• Like 3

Sweet relish doesn't go on burgers either, just hot dogs :)

Dill pickles can go on burgers, but not sweet. 

SaveSave

• Like 3

Where to start ? (AU)

The droughts, cyclones and flooding rains.

High COL in many areas.

Highly centralized - good luck finding that small city which can offer you a job AND affordable housing AND access to a larger city when required. Nope, you're likely to be in a big city (we only have two of them, really) mortgaging your children to live in a shed. (Hyperbole alert, but not much).

Eating lentils in order to afford electricity ? Did I mention this place is expensive ?

A*se end of the earth - flights are cheap to Bali, and that's about it.

Entire place is run by big mining and developers and Murdoch.

Now, to be fair, there are also a LOT of positive reasons to live here. (Healthcare ? Did anyone mention FREE AT THE POINT OF USE healthcare ?) But you didn't ask about positives, which is why I sound like I hate AU in this post. (Which I don't).

• Like 1

I did not realize beetroot was such a big thing in Australia. I love it - I'll have to try some on my next burger.

No one's mentioned Vegemite yet.  That would be a negative for me because I prefer Marmite - Vegemite doesn't have as strong a taste to me.

• Like 2

Fried egg for starters. They eat them with knives and forks.

Doesn't everybody eat fried egg on their burgers? The world is a strange place.

Who on earth puts coleslaw on a hamburger? Coleslaw goes on baked potatoes. Okay. If you believe hamburgers are supposed to contain coleslaw, I can understand why you wouldn't want beetroot. That would be gross. But you could/should still put some pineapple on because pineapple works with coleslaw.

Do Hawaiians really eat ham, cheese and pineapple pizzas? They don't, do they?

A hamburger with the lot in Australia will have a beef patty, bacon, cheese, lettuce, fried egg, onion, beetroot, some tomato /BBQ sauce. I am suprised to hear that beetroot is not the only difference

And maybe pineapple.

It *should* have pineapple or it's not quite the lot, is it?

I mean, you *can* fit some pineapple on, so you might as well.

I thought of another negative - I think we have the highest rates of asthma and food allergies in the world?

If you have asthma or hayfever, you may want to avoid Melbourne, for example - there was a thunderstorm recently where nine people died  and 8500 people were hospitalised, due to asthma, many of whom had previously never had an asthma attack.

(And wading into the hamburger debate - I don't like beetroot or egg on mine either. I ask for a 'plain hamburger without beetroot' and that means just the patty and salad. My partner asks for 'hamburger with the lot' which means beetroot, egg, bacon, pineapple, cheese.) 

• Like 4

NZ does a lot better in this regard than AU. We have very shameful stats on things like indigenous life expectancy and infant mortality.

It is comparative only.  Maori have disproportionate rate of unemployment, illiteracy and imprisonment plus a lower life expectancy and higher rates of a number of illnesses.  We do mostly try and do better but it is kind of two steps forward two steps back.  

We also have a very high rate of asthma and a bad case of tall poppy syndrome.  We have few dangerous critters but the bush will kill you if you take it for granted (no bears does not mean don't take care).  I don't want to leave but it takes some effort to adapt.  Basically we are a mix of the good the bad and the ugly just like anywhere else.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 3

We've got a fast food burger chain in Canada called Harvey's, and they have bowls and bowls of various toppings for burgers. I'll have to make a few suggestions for more toppings at our local restaurant. I'm pretty sure they don't offer beetroots, pineapple, bacon or egg.  Our local shawarma place doesn't offer them either.  Maybe they could have a summer Australian themed week.  :laugh:  Bacon would have to be dropped at the shawarma place, though. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

You people don't have bacon in your hamburgers?

I thought you North Americans put bacon in everything except your pumpkin pie.

Nobody should put beetroot in their kebabs. That would be an abomination. Beetroot with garlic sauce and hummus? :ack2:

I know, but it sounds funner if I call it cactus. :lol:

We can't buy them here. The guy who owns the Mexican restaurant in Melbourne said he tried buying locally, but they weren't nice, so he buys tins from overseas. I guess no one waters prickly pear here, lol.

I've got one growing in my yard :)

• Like 1

And maybe pineapple.

It *should* have pineapple or it's not quite the lot, is it?

I mean, you *can* fit some pineapple on, so you might as well.

Next you're going to tell me that Outback Steakhouse isn't "authentic" Australian food, LOL!  I am afraid that, as our lone representative of putative Australian food, there's not a beetroot or pineapple to be found on their burger menu. They offer cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and garlic aioli on one, and cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle, and onion on the other.

Oh my heavens, even *McDonalds* puts beets on some of their burgers there! https://mcdonalds.com.au/menu/gourmet-homestyle-angus  And you call Coke floats spiders? Even the *food* sounds like something that wants to kill you!!!  

However, as I tell my daughter, just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*.  :D There are places around here now who will put all sorts of things on burgers (egg, pimento cheese, guacamole, french fries, pretty much anything, maybe even pineapple :eek: ), but it's not what I would call "regular" or traditional. 

Coleslaw on potatoes?? I've been known to put odd things on a baked potato (ranch dressing, anyone?), but never considered that. It goes on hamburgers or hot dogs or as a side dish with fried fish. I'm the only one in the household that does this, but then my husband's family is from up North, where people do weird things like put pickle relish on hot dogs,  ;) and my daughter follows suit. 

• Like 3

A typical burger here has mayo, mustard, ketchup (I hate ketchup so don't use that), cheese, lettuce, tomato, and pickle. Bacon if it's a bacon cheeseburger. Nicer places have a choice of cheese....american, cheddar, blue cheese (my favorite), swiss, etc. 

Some places will have specialty burgers with egg, or barbecue sauce, or whatever. Commonly you will see a mushroom and swiss burger on the menu (yum). But never beet or pineapple. 

• Like 1

My experience with Australia is limited to a few port visits to Darwin in 1999-2001.

The racism is appalling--but that's not much different from the U.S. I had well meaning white people warn me to stay away from the blacks (Aboriginal people). 

Never mind snakes and spiders, the FLIES were awful when we went on a day trip to Litchfield National Park--and the guide assured us it was not, in fact, the worst time of the year for flies. Then he told us a story of how he met his American wife; she was bitten by a snake on one of his tours (or maybe it was a spider?) and he saved her life. So, snakes and spiders, oh my! Though really, I live in Arizona, so...it's not much different.

Darwin reminded me in some surprising ways of Amarillo, Texas, only with a crocodile infested beach. Red dirt cattle country, on the other side of the world, y'all!

Books were WAY too expensive. Eating out was cheap because of the exchange rate at the time (but, I gathered, not in terms of the local economy) and eating someplace nice didn't cost much more than the fast food. 

• Like 1

I thought you North Americans put bacon in everything except your pumpkin pie.

Nobody should put beetroot in their kebabs. That would be an abomination. Beetroot with garlic sauce and hummus? :ack2:

I had a Bacon Maple cake once. It was interesting. A little too rich for weekly eats. ;)

Pickled turnips are wonderful in shawarma. They're not that much different than pickled beets. The beets wouldn't stay on a kebab, would they? It would be better as a side.  :laugh:

• Like 1

Do you water it?

They like Australia, weeds that they are.

Part of the point of a prickly pear is you don't have to water it. They grow like weeds here, too (except of course here they're supposed to).

• Like 2

Do you water it?

They like Australia, weeds that they are.

Nope!

We have a pretty arid climate, so most of my garden needs watering. I've got one little section with no irrigation system coverage and that's where the cactus lives :)

It was completely covered by snow this winter but is looking quite perky now.

• Like 1

I'm also half Texan, on my father's side. We grew up with little barbed wire Texases and stars on our kitchen walls, and random longhorn, uh, horns placed decoratively in the living room. And a flag of Texas. I can assure you, we didn't own an American flag, and I have no idea where I'd get a NYS flag... but we had that Texas flag!

It's tough being a Texan expat in New York.

At least as difficult as it is to be a yankee in Texas. 😂 The flags! Oh. My. Goodness. You are not joking about the flags. I never saw people with a state flag tattooed onto their bodies before moving to TX. It is certainly a unique place!

• Like 2

At least as difficult as it is to be a yankee in Texas. 😂 The flags! Oh. My. Goodness. You are not joking about the flags. I never saw people with a state flag tattooed onto their bodies before moving to TX. It is certainly a unique place!

As they say, it's like a whole 'nother country. I do believe it is the only state in the nation where you will find more state flags than national ones.

Also: So many Texas-shaped tchotchkes. There's a whole subgenre of waffle iron, "Texas shaped", that I didn't know about until I decided I wanted a waffle iron. Can't get an Idaho or New York or Florida or Nevada shaped waffle iron - but Texas? You've even got a choice of companies!

• Like 2