Menu

Any negatives to living in Australia or New Zealand?

displace

I find them extremely sweet.  More like a dessert.

I don't consider them typical for regular ole sandwich rolls though.

it is true though that we have excessively sugary stuff here.

True, the whole wheat buns we usually use have about 2 g of sugars per bun (53g) and no high fructose corn syrup vs the 9 g in the Hawaiian bun. If I'm reading it correctly, gives about 3.8%.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

We'd have to buy fruit loaf to get bread above 4% sugar and even our fruit loaf contains less sugar than that Hawaiian bread. 

http://www.howmuchsugar.com/Resources/Documents/A%20Teaspoon%20Guide%20to%20Australian%20Breads%202010.pdf

Forgive my curiosity, but is it typical in Australia to list nutrients in terms of percentage of the total weight of the item?  Here in the US, we generally only see the absolute values, or percentage of total recommended daily amounts.  9 grams of carbs doesn't sound like that much, but when you realize the whole bun is 45 grams, and the 20% of the bun is sugar, it makes you think about it differently.  Or at least it makes me think about it differently.

Edited by GGardner
  • Like 1

Our family does not eat cornbread with sugar in it.  I remember being a teen and having cornbread with sugar in it for the first time and asking what it was! LOL  I thought it was cake.  We do not use yellow cornmeal either.  Only white.

What area?

Forgive my curiosity, but is it typical in Australia to list nutrients in terms of percentage of the total weight of the item?  Here in the US, we generally only see the absolute values, or percentage of total recommended daily amounts.  9 grams of carbs doesn't sound like that much, but when you realize the whole bun is 45 grams, and the 20% of the bun is sugar, it makes you think about it differently.  Or at least it makes me think about it differently.

Not in those words. It lists as the amount per 100g serving. 

Here's an example from one of those dairy desserts that like to call themselves yoghurt.

What area?

I live in the deep south, but I had the sweet cornbread in Colorado on a ski trip.  They brought it out as an appetizer.  None of us knew what it was.  It tasted nothing like the cornbread we were used to.

I grew up eating corn pone style cornbread daily.  When I was a kid (up to around age 10 or so) there really were not that many restaurants around like there are today, so we ate at home all the time.  I knew that some people put sugar in corn muffins, but I had never thought about it in terms of race. It could be true, because the times I have had corn muffins are at restaurants or cafeteria's where the cooks were black women.  They were sweet with yellow cornmeal. 

• Like 2

Not in those words. It lists as the amount per 100g serving. 

Here's an example from one of those dairy desserts that like to call themselves yoghurt.

Interesting.So you get a measure of energy rather than calories. I found a converter https://www.bupa.com.au/health-and-wellness/tools-and-apps/tools-and-calculators/calorie-converter

Giving the amount per 100g would make it easier to compare, since serving sizes vary so much.

• Like 1

I'm an American who's lived in NZ for the past 20 years. DH is a NZer. There's pros & cons to living in NZ & the two cultures are very different.  

Maori culture is a big part of life up where we live.  As others have mentioned we don't sit on desks or tables or pillows as it's tabu.  The reason is that it's considered unclean to put your bottom where you place food or your head.  Te Reo (the Maori language) is part of the curriculum here & most official ceremonies are opened with a song or prayer in TeReo.  We've had roads routed around where taniwha live.  

Foods are different from what I was used to in the States.  There is much less processed foods in the shops & much less sugar in the foods overall.  Yes, beetroot (pickled beets) & fried eggs are common on burgers.  Mayo is NOT a common or preferred spread.  I learned early on not to order what I liked from home as NZ seemed to have weird ways of preparing "American" foods.  I've had taco salads that including coleslaw, pizzas that had a scone-type crust & canned spaghetti as a topping, & for years the pepperoni on Pizza Hut's pizzas was just not right.  At least now the pepperoni has improved.  When I first came to NZ it felt like my m-i-l was always serving a meal.  Breakfast, Morning Tea, Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner (commonly called Tea), & Supper (a snack before bed).  School kids have 30 minutes for morning tea & an hour for lunch, in all years from including high school.  

Houses are not heated or insulated to the standard that I was used to in VT.  We live in the "winterless north" but I have been colder here than I ever was growing up in New England.  50F outside in the middle of winter is not bad.  50F inside is COLD!  I now wear layers of wool, slippers inside, etc. just to stay warm.  Insulation & double glazing are just now becoming more common in new builds.  We are renovating most of our house & I have insisted on both in our house.  

The cost of food, gas, housing, imported goods, & travel is higher than what it is in the States.  But the cost of healthcare & higher education is much, much lower.  

Sports are a big part of small town life here.  Most weekends will find people of all ages from preschoolers to retired people taking part in the different sports of the season.  Sports are organised in clubs, not schools, so are accessible to all.  The arts are organised in clubs as well.  

Homeschooling is very easy here in NZ.  You simply need to apply for an exemption to homeschool at age 6 or when you begin if you child is older.  After getting that exemption you receive a small supervisory allowance from the government twice a year while your homeschooling child is between the ages of 6-18.  Most areas have homeschool support groups.

Most days I love living here in NZ.  My dc are dual citizens (US / NZ) but are much more kiwi, than yankee.  Ds#1 is currently in the States on his OE.  He moved there the beginning of March.  Here in NZ he is considered very conservative.  Well, in VT he is finding he is much, much more liberal than the progressives there.  He was planning on living & working in the US for a couple years.  DH thinks he'll be back before xmas & head off to Aussie instead as the money is better & he will find the culture less foreign.  

• Like 5