Menu

Any negatives to living in Australia or New Zealand?

displace

I thought of another negative - I think we have the highest rates of asthma and food allergies in the world?

If you have asthma or hayfever, you may want to avoid Melbourne, for example - there was a thunderstorm recently where nine people died and 8500 people were hospitalised, due to asthma, many of whom had previously never had an asthma attack.

Dd got asthma with that storm. 11 years with no hint of asthma and bam. :( Now if the wind picks up her asthma flares up.

• Like 1

No. Just, no. Burgers aren't supposed to be sweet. Or pickled. Or root-y.

I have come to the conclusion that I shall never live in Australia/NZ, based entirely upon this culinary abomination. ðŸ˜

My Texan husband puts tomato on burgers. That's sweet, as is red onion which is also rooty. Don't some Americans put pickles on burgers? And American burger buns often have sugar in them. I'd be happy to try beetroot.

• Like 1

I ordered a burrito in Hong Kong once. Flour tortilla, cheddar cheese, Lima beans and stewed tomatoes.... Yuck!

Omg. I can only imagine the horrible home sickness and longing and the dream of a burger and then to get... that monstrosity. I imagine Americans crying over their "burgers".

Fried egg on burgers is good! Esp with cheese and bacon too. I had that almost every morning for breakfast one summer in college.

Cole slaw goes on BBQ - pulled pork. 

Now, bbq gets bbq slaw---vinegar-based and totally different than the mayo-based coleslaw for hot dogs, hamburgers, and fried fish.

Red bbq slaw https://www.frysfood.com/bbqtime/recipes/north-carolina-piedmont-slaw

My coleslaw --- grated cabbage, salt, black pepper, Duke's mayo (has no sugar), and a bit of white vinegar

• Like 2

I have been following this thread for several days now, and I'm *still* trying to pick my jaw up off the floor over the beets-n-hamburger thing. Just, WHY?!? Why would you ruin a perfectly delicious, juicy, tasty, beefy burger with a nasty ol' root vegetable? Why?!? I just can't even!

Thank you, Kinsa.  This really needed to be said.

• Like 1

Do Hawaiians really eat ham, cheese and pineapple pizzas? They don't, do they?

I don't know if Hawaiians do, but it is pretty popular in Canada! It is one of my favourites! I also enjoy a Canadian pizza (pepperoni, bacon and mushroom)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My Texan husband puts tomato on burgers. That's sweet, as is red onion which is also rooty. Don't some Americans put pickles on burgers? And American burger buns often have sugar in them. I'd be happy to try beetroot.

A Hawaiian bun, with an awesome Angus/brisket mix burger, topped with bacon, pickles, and cheese is about the most awesome burger you will ever have. There's a reason wheat buns aren't what's served in the best burger restaurants!! If you can't get Hawaiian bread, sourdough bun or a nice jalapeño cheese bun is a nice alternative. :)

A Hawaiian bun, with an awesome Angus/brisket mix burger, topped with bacon, pickles, and cheese is about the most awesome burger you will ever have. There's a reason wheat buns aren't what's served in the best burger restaurants!! If you can't get Hawaiian bread, sourdough bun or a nice jalapeño cheese bun is a nice alternative. :)

What are you talking about, Woman?  :confused1:

Who wants to eat meat, cheese and pickles on a doughnut? :svengo:

Are there any particular asthma issue in NZ, particularly Wellington?  My youngest is going in July there for a semester at Victoria University.

My dh who has traveled to Australia a number of times likes the burgers you have there with the fried egg and beets.  My family likes to go to a food truck here that always is making interesting burgers.  I know one they like is the bulgogi burger/  I haven't tried it but I do like to eat bulgogi at the Korean restaurant we go to sometimes.  

• Like 2

Yes! Now yer talkin' my language...

What are you talking about, Woman? :confused1:

Who wants to eat meat, cheese and pickles on a doughnut? :svengo:

:) Sadly, I will admit there are restaurants here that serve hamburgers on actual, glazed doughnuts. Like the Krispy Kreme sort. I have never had one, but I've seen them on menus before. They usually add the fried egg to them too.

:) Sadly, I will admit there are restaurants here that serve hamburgers on actual, glazed doughnuts. Like the Krispy Kreme sort. I have never had one, but I've seen them on menus before. They usually add the fried egg to them too.

If that Hawaiian bread is what I think it is, there's more sugar in that than in a doughnut.

And I sure hope you're pulling my leg about the glazed doughnut hamburgers.  :scared:  I really can't think of anything polite to say about that.

If that Hawaiian bread is what I think it is, there's more sugar in that than in a doughnut.

And I sure hope you're pulling my leg about the glazed doughnut hamburgers. :scared: I really can't think of anything polite to say about that.

Nope. They're real: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/05/straw-doughnut-donut-burger-review-san-francisco-ca.html

That's just the first one that popped up, but they're available a tons of places. I know a couple of chain places have them. They look gross to me, but I guess they sell or they wouldn't be so many places!

Older DS wants to know if you have ever *tried* a pickled beet root hamburger?!??! He said "its really not bad actually." :001_smile:

Well, you can just tell that young whippersnapper that he ought to stick to math! Oh, and brush up on his vocabulary.  Have him look up "heresy":  H, E, R...

:lol:

• Like 1

Nope. They're real: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/05/straw-doughnut-donut-burger-review-san-francisco-ca.html

That's just the first one that popped up, but they're available a tons of places. I know a couple of chain places have them. They look gross to me, but I guess they sell or they wouldn't be so many places!

:crying:  :crying:  :crying:

Time, space and reality are even worse than I thought they were. 

Yes, Hawaiian rolls are slightly sweet but nothing like a doughnut= those are really, really sweet.,  I like sweets but I like my sweets to be much less sweet hence my love for dark chocolate.

I am not used to having sugar in my bread, so that is going to be doughnut level sweet to me. 

I think it's very cute the way they write the label ambiguously so I can't work out what percentage the sugar content is.

I am not used to having sugar in my bread, so that is going to be doughnut level sweet to me. 

I think it's very cute the way they write the label ambiguously so I can't work out what percentage the sugar content is.

Well, a King's Hawaiian regular hamburger bun(45 g) has 9 grams of sugar and the larger deluxe one (78 g) has 16 grams of sugar. 

A regular glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut (49 g) has 10 grams of sugar, and they use two doughnuts for the burger, so that means 20 grams of sugar per burger. Just as a point of info, these are raised yeast doughnuts rather than the denser cake doughnuts.

IME, these are not common in restaurants, even in NC, the home of the Krispy Kreme franchise. They are more in the category of what I think of as "state fair food". There's been a competition in the last decade or so, maybe longer, to see who can come up with and sell the absolutely worst-for-you and weirdest food possible at state fairs. It's brought us things like deep-fried Mars bars, deep-fried bacon pimento cheeseburger egg roll, deep-fried Reese's-O (a peanut butter cup between two Oreos--chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies, then battered and deep-fried), fried beer (in pretzel-dough pockets like ravioli, deep-fried, sprinkled with salt, and drizzled with cheese sauce), deep-fried butter balls, a burger than includes fried ice cream, etc. If you google "state fair food," "strange fair food," or something similar, you'll find tons of examples

9grams of sugar in one bread roll?

That is like dessert bread... I make pancakes with less sugar than that (including topping!)

We'd have to buy fruit loaf to get bread above 4% sugar and even our fruit loaf contains less sugar than that Hawaiian bread. 

http://www.howmuchsugar.com/Resources/Documents/A%20Teaspoon%20Guide%20to%20Australian%20Breads%202010.pdf

Oh dear. I think I'm in shock now.  :huh:

Are there any particular asthma issue in NZ, particularly Wellington?  My youngest is going in July there for a semester at Victoria University.

Unfortunately, yes.  Biggest culprits are pollen and mold.  No pollen in July (it's winter), but mold can be a problem in cheap student housing.  Central heating is rare in Wellington unless you are in an upscale or modern house/apartment.  Dehumidifiers are the best option, but they are expensive to run, and won't get the mold out if it is already there.  So be very careful about housing. 

• Like 1

We'd have to buy fruit loaf to get bread above 4% sugar and even our fruit loaf contains less sugar than that Hawaiian bread. 

http://www.howmuchsugar.com/Resources/Documents/A%20Teaspoon%20Guide%20to%20Australian%20Breads%202010.pdf

Oh dear. I think I'm in shock now.  :huh:

The bun has 8 grams of sugar, or 2 teaspoons, NOT 8%.

On the link you gave it would be just above a bagel but half as much sugar as the fruit loaf.

SaveSave

We have a 'state fair' type thing too, but we call them 'agricultural shows' or 'shows' for short (eg Sydney's Easter Show, on now? Or just finished maybe?) They also have the funny food like lasagna on a stick and random deep friend whatevers. We have a version of your corn dog called dagwood dog. I've always wondered what the difference is.  

• Like 1

We have a 'state fair' type thing too, but we call them 'agricultural shows' or 'shows' for short (eg Sydney's Easter Show, on now? Or just finished maybe?) They also have the funny food like lasagna on a stick and random deep friend whatevers. We have a version of your corn dog called dagwood dog. I've always wondered what the difference is.  

The corn dog I'm used to is a generic hot dog (so usually a mix of beef and pork) on a stick, dipped in a cornmeal batter then deep-fried. It's usually served with mustard, maybe ketchup. The brand I see available in the frozen section of the store is called "State Fair"  and,----surprise, surprise--one corn dog has 11 grams of sugar in the batter. One of the local hamburger chains serves one that has 6 grams of sugar in the batter. It's more usual to see regular hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken sandwiches than corn dogs in fast food places.

There's an interesting cultural/racial divide over sugar in cornbread in the American South. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/food-drink/article68763427.html

• Like 1

There's an interesting cultural/racial divide over sugar in cornbread in the American South. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/food-drink/article68763427.html

That's interesting. 

I'm a white southerner but I grew up on sweeter cornbread, and I'm pretty sure most people around here are the same. I'm actually not sure if I've ever had cornbread with no sugar in it. I've definitely never had white cornmeal! But I'm in the New Orleans area, which can be pretty different culturally from the rest of the south.  

• Like 1

Our family does not eat cornbread with sugar in it.  I remember being a teen and having cornbread with sugar in it for the first time and asking what it was! LOL  I thought it was cake.  We do not use yellow cornmeal either.  Only white.

• Like 1

I've had both and the amount of sugar usually depended on whether it was made from scratch or from a mix, or who was making it. My dad used to make a fancy savory one topped with cheddar cheese and rings of green bell pepper for church potluck suppers, from a recipe he came across. When my mother was alive, it was usually not sweet, but my stepmother has a very sweet tooth so hers was always quite sweet. She actually adds sweetener to her thousand island salad dressing (commercially bottled, and it already has about 4 grams of sugars per 2 tbsp), and my stepsister mentioned recently that she always adds a packet of sweetener to anything she makes with sour cream (including things like a chicken pie) to "cut the tang." 

We like savory cornbread here, but do sometimes put whole kernels of corn in it which will make it a bit sweeter than without. I've used both yellow and white cornmeal fairly interchangably, but we definitely like white stoneground grits rather than yellow.

• Like 1

I just googled dagwood dog (also known as pluto pup, state by state differences), some recipes say cornmeal and some don't. So they may well be the same thing as your corn dog. It's definitely seen as the world's worst food but hey. 

I think deep fried Mars Bars are even worse.

I find them extremely sweet.  More like a dessert.

I don't consider them typical for regular ole sandwich rolls though.

it is true though that we have excessively sugary stuff here.

• Like 1