Menu

Post your favorite April Fools gags here!

maize

Just making a space for harmless April 1st fun. You can link to favorite media gags or post about things you or your family do to honor the day or funny pranks from years past.

Hopefully everyone has a light and fun day with nothing nasty or malicious to report.

My daughter got me this morning.

She texted to say that she was dropping out of university and that she and her boyfriend were going to South America to teach English for a year.

She had me going for a while before telling me it was April 1st.

Ha ha.

• Like 6

This is one "holiday" I fail to understand the appeal of... I warn my guys in the morning to beware and we do... nothing.

I just don't get my jollies that way I suppose.  We love humor, but not that kind.

I wish we could wear signs saying we are "non-believers" so folks who enjoyed these things could keep among their own kind.  It'd be nice to be able to enjoy the day without concern.

Perhaps I'm weird again, but I'm posting here just so those of you who do enjoy it can be aware that not all of us share your "fun."  Try to be sure you're with your kind when you do these things...

• Like 6

This is one "holiday" I fail to understand the appeal of... I warn my guys in the morning to beware and we do... nothing.

I just don't get my jollies that way I suppose. We love humor, but not that kind.

I wish we could wear signs saying we are "non-believers" so folks who enjoyed these things could keep among their own kind. It'd be nice to be able to enjoy the day without concern.

Perhaps I'm weird again, but I'm posting here just so those of you who do enjoy it can be aware that not all of us share your "fun." Try to be sure you're with your kind when you do these things...

Agree. This is my least favorite day of the year. I don't get the appeal. My dh and kids know that they aren't allowed to prank me.

Edited by Kinsa

I just don't get my jollies that way I suppose. We love humor, but not that kind.

I wish we could wear signs saying we are "non-believers" so folks who enjoyed these things could keep among their own kind. It'd be nice to be able to enjoy the day without concern.

Perhaps I'm weird again, but I'm posting here just so those of you who do enjoy it can be aware that not all of us share your "fun." Try to be sure you're with your kind when you do these things...

I'm not big on pranks myself, except for super mild ones that the target is certain to be amused by.

I've adapted the French tradition of April Fish--kids at school in France used to try to tape paper fish to each other's backs without the victim noticing. My variation is that we celebrate April 1st by making sugar cookie dough, rolling it out, then cutting it into whimsical sea creature shapes to cook and decorate. I started that in my teens, don't do it every year but plan to today.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Agree. This is my least favorite day of the year. I don't get the appeal. My dh and kids know that they aren't allowed to prank me.

Mostly agree... I do get the appeal, and I have lesser favorite days of the year...

However, I do agree in the spirit of "no destructive pranks."

No fake engagement or pregnancy announcements on Facebook

No household pranks that create a mess or harm of any sort to its inhabitants. Like if the rubber-band in the sink sprayer had happened to SweetChild when she was in full makeup for dress rehearsal we might also have been cleaning up the blood of the pranker...

Harmless pranks are encouraged... food ones are a favorite, although I have none planned. Grilled poundcake slices with tinted frosting makes a convincing grilled cheese. Meatballs in foil muffin cups frosted with mashed potatoes look like cupcakes. Vanilla pudding with an apricot half looks like a fried egg. Jello in juice glasses.

Reversing the silverware drawer is fun, or taping friend, animal, or celebrity face photos over the glass on family pictures.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 3

We typically do a few harmless 'pranks'.

Cover up the mouse sensor with a post-it note.

Hide various memes through the house (back of cabinet doors, in closets, etc). Putin memes were big one year. I still have a picture of Putin in my pantry. I'm not sure what people will think when I die and they still find random pictures of Putin in my house, but, oh well. Let them wonder!

I did make up a April Fool's weekly schedule for mine for one year. It caused much weeping and gnashing of teeth until the regular schedule was revealed. First time student was thankful for their normal work load!

• Like 2

Then there was the year one child decided to adjust my autocorrect/spelling dictionary/word replacer/whatever on Excel and Word. Whenever, I typed her sister's name, it was replaced with "monkey". I didn't find that for some time, and when I did, it totally confused us because perp had temporarily forgotten she had done it. 

• Like 4

I just don't get my jollies that way I suppose.  We love humor, but not that kind.

I wish we could wear signs saying we are "non-believers" so folks who enjoyed these things could keep among their own kind.  It'd be nice to be able to enjoy the day without concern.

Perhaps I'm weird again, but I'm posting here just so those of you who do enjoy it can be aware that not all of us share your "fun."  Try to be sure you're with your kind when you do these things...

I feel the same way.  I'm very gullible and have ended up feeling incredibly stupid for believing things I've heard/read on April Fool' Day.  My dd likes doing harmless things like switching the silverware around in the drawer, replacing paper towels with a roll of toilet paper, etc.  I'm fine with that.  

• Like 4

One year ds took a picture of my laptop screen, put it up as the background, then hung around and giggled when the icons I clicked on wouldn't work. The year before that he changed the language on my phone.

He has had a lot of fun through the years. He is home from college today, but I don't know if he knows it's April 1.

• Like 3

I've had multiple people pull April Fool's pranks on me that were "harmless". I just ended up feeling upset then embarrassed for not seeing the joke in time. I don't get the appeal for making people feel bad, even for harmless fun.

I'm going to post it, but I won't be discussing it because politics.

But I gotta post it, because omg Russia wins the internet. I don't care what you think about the alleged hacking, this is pretty funny.

And with that said, mostly I prefer the inane April Fool's pranks to the sort people actually fall for. Things like posting up "DRY PAINT" signs, or sending your kids to get "striped paint", or making cupcakes shaped like hamburgers.

• Like 3

My daughter got me this morning.

She texted to say that she was dropping out of university and that she and her boyfriend were going to South America to teach English for a year.

She had me going for a while before telling me it was April 1st.

Ha ha.

It's not funny when you have a heart attack! 😮

I'm not big into pranks either. Spontaneously I played a very mild one on the kids today. Dh is away this weekend for a men's retreat and kids and I worked at a food pantry this morning. On the way home I told them we had some things to do this afternoon. I started listing cleaning chores and "extra" school that I thought they should do. I thought they would figure it out right away but it took awhile. I was impressed that they didn't complain more about my long list of ridiculous chores and extra school. 

Google has a link to Google Gnome on their homepage.

There are lots of new Chromebook accessories out

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chromeunboxed.com/chromebook-accessories-googles-got-jokes/amp/

The Mall of America now has texting lanes

http://m.mallofamerica.com/visit/texting-lanes

There are a few more on the local news page http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/april-fools-day-2017-who-has-the-best-prank/427288783

• Like 1

I've had multiple people pull April Fool's pranks on me that were "harmless". I just ended up feeling upset then embarrassed for not seeing the joke in time. I don't get the appeal for making people feel bad, even for harmless fun.

I'm out of likes due to those other currently popular threads,  :glare: but this sums up my thoughts perfectly - better than what I wrote.  I won't do those types of "harmless fun."  I prefer other types of humor.

• Like 1

If you go to Google Maps you can play Ms. Pacman on the streets.  That was kind of fun.   :)

DH liked that one!

The Google gags are generally funny!  We got a kick out of this year's video on YouTube for GoogleGnome.

I'm not really into April Fool's, but if I were, I'd go for the food gags.  The kids would probably think the meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato frosting were funny (except for my one kid who is vegetarian, but even that kid might appreciate the humor), provided I had real dessert also.  I don't care for mean pranks and definitely not fake pregnancy announcements.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of mean April Fool's jokes, but am usually game for just plain funny or silly ones.  I laughed out loud at this one from dd's climbing gym.  I started to fall for it for a second because they often have local businesses that might appeal to their clientele set up a table in the lobby and a co-working space business had recently been there. 

• Like 1

I don't engage... but I have a cousin and this is their favorite holiday. She froze the kids' toothbrushes in ice, she convinced her husband their windshield had gotten cracked, she tricked the kids into eating baking chocolate... and so on and so forth. And this was a "tame" year. The kids set every single device in the house to play the theme song from Caillou at top volume when turned on. I cannot even imagine living in that house. Oy.