Menu

If you love 50 yo, super-soft, washed-a-thousand-times cotton sheets

Joules

What did you get to replace them when they disintegrated?  I'd really like to just order all new sheets online, but it's hard to figure out from the amazon reviews. 100% cotton, high thread count sheets vary widely.  I don't want satin finish, and I definitely don't want them crisp and rough. I expect it will take dozens of washings to get them perfect, but none of the ones I bought several years ago got really soft.  

The last good ones I bought were from the West Point Pepperell outlet when ds was a baby.   I did inherit some of Mom's, but they really are 50 years old and going fast.

• Like 2

I love visiting my inlaws- their sheets are from when dh was a kid. Soft, soft, soft. 

I have never found anything like them.  I've bought high thread counts...I've spent a lot of money...but have never been able to get sheets that are this soft OR last as long. 

• Like 1

I'd like to know.  I've (in recent years) bought 2 sets of new sheets that I could not sleep on because they ended up being scratchy, despite having a high thread count.  

the fiber is more important than the thread count. the ends of the fiber sticking out are what make them scratchy - just like with wool items.  long-stable fiber has fewer ends to stick out than short staple fiber.  if they have been carded enough - will have fewer ends sticking out than if they just grabbed and spun.

I've been happy with the sheet set I bought at costco - it was a specific kind, some of them aren't the same.  "hotel" sheets have worked for me.   also, wamsutta - not all of them, but I was just checking them out and liked the 300 thread count more than the 400 thread count.

eta: some of those super high "thread counts" sheets . . . . are a bunch of threads put together and treated like one thread.  they are often not nearly as nice as they want people to think they are.  similar to a trick used by manufacturers to sew on buttons.  they quadruple the thread - then go through the button  once.   it has "four" threads going through the button, but it's not the same as going through the button four times.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Let me know if you figure it out.  I have some sheets of my grandmother's that are much older than 50 years.  I wish I could find some like them.  I keep wondering if it was all of the air drying, a different laundry detergent, etc. 

they're probably muslin. they're amazing - but not sure if you can even buy them anymore.

• Like 1

Well, I feel better that I can't find any!  Apparently they are hard to come by!  I don't like flannel or t-shirt material, they are both too hot.  I like the sheets to feel cold to the touch.  It's not just soft, it's the texture.  I find almost all sheets scratchy, even most hotel sheets.  The sateen ones are soft, but in an icky slimy way.  As I type this out, I realize that I am just super picky, though I don't love what I'm sleeping on now. (We have a king bed and the old sheets are doubles and twins.)

I just realized the last good ones that I got were made in the US as I actually got them at the factory outlet.  Maybe searching for sheets made in the US would work? I'll check out Wamsutta and Garnet Hill, too.

I'll let ya'll know if I come up with anything.  And, if anyone else has a recommendation...

Edited by Joules
  • Like 2

A couple of years ago I bought some sheets from ZuLilly that make me feel as if I'm sleeping at my great grandmother's house in her super soft and cozy bedding. I looked at the tag and it says "PCT" which I think stands for Pacific Coast Textiles.

Good luck on your search. Sheets are expensive to experiment with.

All I know is don't get tricked into buying something that is not 100% cotton but made to look like it is until you read the fine print. [emoji853] Also too high a thread count is not breathable, so it's uncomfortable even if it is soft and 100% cotton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamanthaCarter

All of my perfect sheets got threadbare within a few weeks of each other. That's what I get for evenly rotating through them! I decided I should add a new set into the rotation every few years so they don't all wear out at the same time.

I just bought these sheets: http://m.jcpenney.com/liz-claiborne-300tc-liquid-cotton-sheet-set/prod.jump?ppId=ens6003850039

They are nice enough after one wash that I ordered a second set. They will be perfect after a couple years. :)

• Like 1

All of my perfect sheets got threadbare within a few weeks of each other. That's what I get for evenly rotating through them! I decided I should add a new set into the rotation every few years so they don't all wear out at the same time.

I just bought these sheets: http://m.jcpenney.com/liz-claiborne-300tc-liquid-cotton-sheet-set/prod.jump?ppId=ens6003850039

They are nice enough after one wash that I ordered a second set. They will be perfect after a couple years. :)

I have these sheets also, from JC Penney. They are fairly soft right out of the box, and will get better with washings. So far I have three sets but none of them have been washed enough to achieve that wonderful softness.

I also have sheets from Costco but I don't like them as much. With many washings, they still aren't as soft as the ones linked above.

DD's sheets are like this! Just like the old-fashioned cotton sheets at my grandparents' house. They are Shabby Chic from Target, and they just get better with each washing. I bought three sets for her nine years ago (they were all so pretty and I couldn't pick, LOL), so I don't know if the quality is still the same.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Still haven't figured it out. My best sheets are the ones my mom gave me when she downsized. Those sheets are from when I was a kid so they are at least 30 years old or more. The sheets I bought when we got married 24 years ago are still in great shape.

The sheets I purchased for my kids beds have all been replaced. None of them have held up well. Disappointing.

Percale. Try 100% cotton percale sheets.

And if you are looking for something old fashioned you must check Vermont Country Store. They try to replicate old favorites. Here are their sheets, including percale varieties:

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/home/category/sheets

Yep. I'm kind of wanting our current sheets to rip or get threadbare so I can go ahead and order some percale. I'm leaning towards a set from LL Bean, but those look like a good choice, too.

Edited by Pawz4me

I'm enjoying the costco sheets I bought last year.  They're nice and soft, but feel like regular sheets and not a weird non-sheet fabric.  I just got a new mattress today and it's sooooo deep that I'm barely getting my sheets on it.  WHY are mattresses so thick now??? I'm suddenly understanding all of these platform beds that are a foot off the ground.  Once you add the mattress it's regular bed-height.  I'm climbing into my sleigh bed now.