Menu

What exercises make the most difference in the least time?

StaceyinLA

Just for toning purposes, what do you find makes the most difference in the shortest amount of time?

It's down to the last minute, as usual, and I need to do a little toning before a beach trip in about 6 weeks. Well, I'm gonna drop about 5-7 pounds that I've put back on because of a lot of traveling and eating out, AND tone up a little.

What do you find really makes a difference in that short of a period of time, if anything?

Thighs would be a good place to tone. I'd prefer if they didn't jiggle when I move quickly. ;-p

The thing is, I'm not really overweight, but I AM pretty flabby - never been really into exercising, but I desperately want to start.

Edited by StaceyinLA

Heavy weights.  As in, if you can lift it 20 times, it's too light.  Pick a weight that you can only lift 10-12 times.  Then rest, and do it again.  Rest, and do one last set (you may only be able to do 6 or 8, and that's fine).  Then move on to the next muscle.  Best results I've ever had in my life.

• Like 13

Spin classes! I am a runner and started spin classes in December and was amazed how much my already muscular legs toned up after just a few weeks.

Aside from that - kettle bell swings, jumping jacks and burpees. Cardio plus body weight, all in a fairly simple move.

• Like 3

Thighs would be a good place to tone. 

Squats are the king of leg exercises.  There are lots of variations:  box squats, goblet squats, back squats.  If you haven't done them before, then I recommend the Girls Gone Strong videos for learning proper form:  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=girls+gone+strong+squat  They tend to focus on half-squats (going down to the point where your thighs are parallel to the floor), as do most people.  I prefer full squats (going down farther so that your butt is below the level of the knees), but I'm apparently weird that way.  Do what works for you!

Leg press is also really good, if you have a membership at a gym.  If you have dumbbells at home, you can do weighted step-ups or lunges.  Deadlifts work the back of your legs and your butt, as well as your core.

• Like 2

You can't "spot remove" or target the removal of adipose tissue without surgical intervention (or whatever those lypo-suction and similar things do). Body fat comes off different places on different people in different order. For me, the thighs hold onto adipose tissue the longest. The good news is that fat there isn't as bad for your health as fat in the middle of your body. 

You can do some muscle building work in specific areas of the body. For overall muscle toning with low-impact on joints, I'd recommend cross-country skiing. It's amazing! You can be working upper, core and lower body muscle strength and endurance, aerobic conditioning, in a very efficient and effect way.

• Like 1

Callanetics. An oldie but a goodie. :) It's still my go-to workout when I need to tone up quickly.

Bar Method has already been mentioned.

Many people have been successful with Tracy Anderson's workouts, but she's definitely a love her or hate her kind of person, so I hesitate to recommend her workouts. Her original Mat Workout would be my recommendation if you want to try one of her DVDs -- but definitely check her out on YouTube before you buy anything.

• Like 2

Heavy weights.  As in, if you can lift it 20 times, it's too light.  Pick a weight that you can only lift 10-12 times.  Then rest, and do it again.  Rest, and do one last set (you may only be able to do 6 or 8, and that's fine).  Then move on to the next muscle.  Best results I've ever had in my life.

This. 

Also, make sure you do squats. All kinds of squats. 

• Like 2

Heavy weights as suggested previously, high intensity interval training, and Pure Barre classes. Nothing has ever shaped my legs, hips, and core like Pure Barre-I consider it to be a form of bodyweight strength training. For your purposes, any of the suggested barre workouts will be very effective, especially The Bar Method, which is kind of like the mother of all barre workouts.

Thanks for all the input!

I am planning to do a Whole 30 starting next week (I have to food prep a lot so I'll be successful, plus I have a dark beer stash I have to finish off). I know I'll drop 5-7 pounds doing that for sure, and that's about what I put back on since I finished my "Whole 25" right before Disneyworld. ;-p

I will definitely look into some of these and see what I can do. I am not currently a member of a gym, but it's something I've been considering, so maybe it's time...

Since you aren't a member of a gym - if you live in an area with botique workout places like CycleBar, Pure Barre, 9 Rounds - i would look at their websites and check on special pricing for newbies. I recently tried out a number of new places in my area, just out of curiosity. All of them had offers like first class free or buy four trail classes for more than half off normal price. It was fun to try some new things and see how my body responded to the different workouts. You can also check out groupon deals.

• 6 months later...

Although this is an old thread, I want to thank the OP for the thread. It's definitely motivating. It took me a long time to find it again and I'm glad that I did. 

Lifting weights. Nothing I have ever done shapes the body as well, as long-term, and as reliably as weight training.

Thank you both for this. I should have known this already, but now it's reinforced. I'm finally starting to incorporate heavy weights and am loving it. :)

• Like 6

Heavy weight training. Total body transformation. I hate cardio and would never exercise if I had to do it. I used to believe I had to hop around, run etc to lose weight. It was always modest loss that didn't stay gone. When I began lifting it changed my life. Fat came off like butter and my body looked amazing. It also is a quick and fun routine.

• Like 2

Rear leg elevated split squats. Here's a beginner video with great input on form. Once you get past that point, you can try them standing on something that raises the front leg by a few inches and continue getting low enough to just about touch your knee to the floor. Also, you can add dumb bells. 

I hate these. Hate them. A lot. But, I have very nice definition in my quads now. 

• Like 2

I’m so glad this came back up, since I really slacked on it when I asked about it, but have GOT to get on the ball. My problem is, I think I would LOVE to go to classes, but we live far out, and I’m pretty sure I’d wind up just thinking about how much extra time it would take me to actually get there and back. I’m really needing something I can do at home because, although I think I class would be more inspiring and motivational, I don’t think I’ll make the time for it.

I’m gonna look up quite a few of the things on here and find one that will work for me! I really need to do this for so many more reasons; long-term health and strength being at the top of the list. Fifty is looming in the not-distant-at-all future (like 3 months), and I just cannot go into my 50s flabby and feeling crummy. Not. Gonna. Happen.

• Like 2

I’m so glad this came back up, since I really slacked on it when I asked about it, but have GOT to get on the ball. My problem is, I think I would LOVE to go to classes, but we live far out, and I’m pretty sure I’d wind up just thinking about how much extra time it would take me to actually get there and back. I’m really needing something I can do at home because, although I think I class would be more inspiring and motivational, I don’t think I’ll make the time for it.

I’m gonna look up quite a few of the things on here and find one that will work for me! I really need to do this for so many more reasons; long-term health and strength being at the top of the list. Fifty is looming in the not-distant-at-all future (like 3 months), and I just cannot go into my 50s flabby and feeling crummy. Not. Gonna. Happen.

You are so smart to be thinking about how you're going to age! In addition to your physical health and well being, your future cognitive health will be affected by your weight, blood pressure, cardio health, and strength in middle age. 

Here are some areas to cover. You don't need to add them all at once. Just choose something and start doing that. Then add something from another category till you have all four. 

For cardiovascular health, you need movement of two primary kinds:

1) The not-sitting type. Get up every half hour and sweep or do dishes or dance or something.

2) "cardio" or "aerobics." This does not have to be fancy. Walking outside, dancing inside to songs on you-tube, whatever you enjoy and is convenient that you will actually do. Shoot for 150 min a week of this kind of exercise. 

Always warm up (do whatever you are going to do at a slower rate for 5 min or so) Cool down--same thing. Cut back your more intense portion if you are strapped for time rather than the warm-up cool -down or you risk injury or heart troubles. (Also warm  up before strength training) 

Cardio not only helps your cardiovascular system, it improves every measure of cognitive status. You actually can grow new brain cells in your hippocampus (memory center) as a result of the cascade of things that happens in your body when you exercise. 

You also need strength. We lose muscle mass at an accelerated rate with each decade. You want to get some in the bank now and build on it. You don't have to belong to a gym. You can start with bodyweight exercises at home. The book, "You Are Your Own Gym" is good for that. You will get the most bang for your buck with whole body exercises instead of a bunch of little stuff.

You want something for your core, something for the front of your legs, something for the back of your legs, a push (for your chest)  and a pull (for your back)  exercise. Balance in muscle development is really important. 

So for starting out, I would recommend: 

• Planks for core: You can start on your knees and move to a full plank. Once you work up to 30-60 sec, do a harder variation. 
  •  
  • Squats: A friend of mine does what she calls coffee squats. She simply does bodyweight squats in her kitchen while she's waiting for her coffee to get done. Make sure you're using proper form. (The video Greta recommended above is good.) I also often go to youtube and type in "Proper form for _____ whatever exercise I want" and look at a few videos. You can generally tell the good ones. 
  •  
  • Posterior chain: Squats work your quads. You need to balance that or you can develop knee or hip problems. Some kind of hamstring curl is good for that. You can do them with feet on a chair or an exercise ball. Also the bridge exercise is good for the posterior chain.  I also do clamshells for my hips. 
  •  
  • Push: Nothing beats push-ups. Start where you can. You can start out with wall push-ups and gradually work down to counter push-ups, push-ups on a set of stairs, etc. Knee push-ups are a fine way to start as well. 
  •  
  • Pull: This is harder to accomplish without some equipment. If you have a sturdy bench or low table, and you get a dumbbell, you can do rows. (I would get an adjustable dumbbell if that's all you'll use it for because you will work up in weight.) They are not very expensive. Otherwise, you need to find some kind of bar to pull yourself up and down on. It doesn't have to be a pull up (which are very hard), but something on a playground for instance, where you can hold on, put your feet right under it and then lower yourself back at an angle and pull yourself upright again will do the trick. The higher it is, the easier. 

That is 5 exercises total. You can do them all 2-3 times per week with at least 48 hours in between. (The muscle actually rebuilds when you rest, so you have to rest)  Or you can do push- pull one day, and front of legs/posterior chain the next so there is 48 hours between working the same set of muscles. 

To motivate myself to do them at home, I find that playing music I like or doing them outside really helps. 

It also motivates me to know that the #1 reason people have to move into assisted living is that they cannot get up off the toilet. (That is a squat motion.)  That sort of symbolizes in my brain the overall importance of strength. 

Additionally, a recent meta-study demonstrated that strength training was particularly helpful for memory, working memory, and executive function. 

I started off with bodyweight exercises and now have a weight bench , bar bell, and sets of dumbbells at home. You can get stuff off craigslist for about 1/2 price. 

Flexibility:  Preferably, do these daily for 30 sec at a time AFTER you have done your exercise. 

Some ones that are really good: Cat/cow stretch for back, quad stretch, hamstring stretch (there are many types of these) Figure 4 stretch. You can google those names. Upper body ones I'd have to link but I will if you're interested.

Balance:   It can be as simple as standing on one foot, but it helps train your body and is important for preventing falls. I stand on one foot while I brush my lower teeth, then on the other foot while I brush my upper teeth. You can find times like that so it's not an extra part of your day. 

You may want to post on the well trained bodies thread. We have a new one every month. It is a source of accountability, support, encouragement, and tips. 

• Like 9

I'd default to my Army days: push ups, sit ups, and two mile run. It takes twenty minutes for everything; thirty if you're a slow runner. I'm old and never liked running so I'd cheat and speed walk the miles, but I clearly lack your motivation.

You GREATLY underestimate how slow some of us run, lol! I'd need the 30 minutes for the run alone. 

But it's not a bad plan. Although I'd alternate and do pushups and sit ups one day, and the run the next. 

• Like 2

I am NOT trying to sell anything and have no connection to BeachBody other than using their videos, but they have trial memberships and a decent price for their streaming all access plan,a nd tons of workout videos. Tons. For a full on beginner the You v.2 is super gentle and easy. And it looks like the new Clean Week will be very beginner as well. Then work up from there. 

I also found out my library membership gets me streaming access to hoopla online, which has exercise videos. Did a Richard Simmons one yesterday! 

• Like 1

If you like home video workouts I highly recommend beach body on demand. They offer 14 day free trial. I mix up my workouts with 21day fit extreme, t25, insanity, core de force on occasion. I am 50 and like you do not want to be flabby. I have a lot of energy now and continue to tone. The workouts are between 30/40 minutes.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the book "Body by You" by Mark Lauren. It is a series of body weight exercises similar to those suggested by Laurie4B above using stuff you have around your house. You can start at wherever you are and then it has progressions to make things harder as you get stronger. It has lots of pictures and tips on good form.

• Like 1

You GREATLY underestimate how slow some of us run, lol! I'd need the 30 minutes for the run alone.

But it's not a bad plan. Although I'd alternate and do pushups and sit ups one day, and the run the next.

I'm sure I'm completely delusional. I haven't run anywhere in a couple decades. It just seems very efficient and only requires shoes. Starting with a mile or less is likely best.

• Like 1

If you must do it at home, watch Craigslist for a machine (treadmill, anything) and get a set of hand weights on amazon. Alternate 5 minutes cardio and 3 weight exercises (upper, lower, core). Do three rounds of that. It's called interval training but I call it exercise for the ADHD and easily bored. 😂 Or do 2 minutes of cardio alternated with core and do nine rounds.

Once the cardio is easy you can add some weight so you work the same amount of time but get more done.

When I started I could hardly walk 2 minutes at 2.5 on the treadmill and now I run a mile with weights and box and deadlift and that's how I got there, small amounts of consistent interval training.

Btw everybody looks better in a flattering suit.

Fifty is looming in the not-distant-at-all future (like 3 months), and I just cannot go into my 50s flabby and feeling crummy. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Stacey, classes are not really an option for me either. Like you, I'll be 50 soon as well and feel the same way. 

Many have recommended this book to me and I'm reading it right now. It makes so much sense. 

For DVDs, so far I like Cathe and got this one to start out with. I hope to try to heavy weights two to three times a week if I can. 

I'm editing to add that it was because of this very thread that I got motivated to change my workout program completely, so thank you! My dh had been telling me about heavy weights for a while, but I paid little attention. Then your thread came up. We talked about heavy weights. My dh said, "I told you so." We ordered some weights and a bench to hold them in from amazon. Due to the craziness of life, I didn't really get started until very recently. I feel positive about this. I definitely feel better and more toned overall. For me personally, I've tried them all - ballet-type, pilates, etc. I still will do them from time to time. I love them all. I love to swim also, but heavy weights will most likely be the foundation of my overall plan. I think my body will need this as I approach menopause. 

Edited by Negin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

You are so smart to be thinking about how you're going to age! In addition to your physical health and well being, your future cognitive health will be affected by your weight, blood pressure, cardio health, and strength in middle age. 

Here are some areas to cover. You don't need to add them all at once. Just choose something and start doing that. Then add something from another category till you have all four. 

You may want to post on the well trained bodies thread. We have a new one every month. It is a source of accountability, support, encouragement, and tips. 

Laurie, I just re-read your entire post and have copied it to keep. It's so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share all that.