Menu

When buying used books, would you pay extra for good vs very good?

On Amazon, trying to order a book I need. I hope to use this book through 2 children. I can pay less than $10 for one in "good condition" and then the description says may have writing and highlighting on pages. Or pay more like $24 for "very good" condition, and says pages are clear of writing. I am thinking for the extra $15, since I plan to use it for at least two children, the lack of marking on pages might be worth it? What do you think? Anyone have experience with this?

• Like 1

I have been burned by writing in books. Personally I pay more for no writing. Sometimes when I get something with writing it is minimal and sometimes it is every single page and that drives me crazy. I spent an hour erasing out of a math textbook once and decided after that no more markings.  

I think it is possibly a personality thing though--in general, I don't write in my books at all unless it is a correction.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 5

On Amazon, trying to order a book I need. I hope to use this book through 2 children. I can pay less than $10 for one in "good condition" and then the description says may have writing and highlighting on pages. Or pay more like $24 for "very good" condition, and says pages are clear of writing. I am thinking for the extra $15, since I plan to use it for at least two children, the lack of marking on pages might be worth it? What do you think? Anyone have experience with this?

On Amazon, I only buy Very Good or New. I have gotten lucky at "Good" -- but find stuff there I would consider only ACceptable.

• Like 6

I have paid more at Half Price bookstore for used books with no highlighting and no writing in pen. I have the time to erase writing in pencil so I don't mind unless it is on most pages. My older boy does not like books with highlighting, he doesn't even highlight his books preferring to use post-it. Younger boy gets distracted by highlighted paragraphs.

Since my kids are picky, I haven't bought a used book online for them.

• Like 2

I would pay the extra. I've gotten burned on many used books on Amazon and hpb.com. Now I ONLY buy very good or like new condition and make sure to read the latest reviews by the seller. I bought a set of Hakim books described as "good" that should've been recycled and never sold as usable. It's frustrating for sure. 

On Amazon, I only buy Very Good or New. I have gotten lucky at "Good" -- but find stuff there I would consider only ACceptable.

:iagree:  I only buy "very good" or "like new" - although I will read reviews of other ones to see what the seller considers their "acceptable" or "good." If there aren't any details, I stick to only the better ones. However, I might just not buy the book if it was too expensive at those levels. Depends. Usually, I can find something that is in good shape & has a "very good" rating or a clean description.

I don't mind some writing/highlighting, depending on the book. In a math book, no. But, my dd#2's Canterbury Tales used book had a little bit of writing in the margins & it was insightful & added to the reading/understanding. It depends!

• Like 4

I usually pay extra for Very Good.  

(side rant)

Amazon's condition guidelines are a joke.  A book with writing in it beyond an ex-lib mark or a name written in the front isn't "Good" condition.  It's damaged and therefore falls into the acceptable/fair category.  A workbook that's been written in is definitely not good.  It's kind of useless at that point and so you're looking at fair or poor condition.

(rant over)

• Like 7

I will buy only buy a book in "good" condition if there is a description of the actual item that says it is clean with no markings or highlighting, and if the description in general is acceptable to me (I usually don't mind minor cosmetic issues or missing dust jackets if the content isn't affected). I've gotten some gems on the cheap by going that route, but otherwise I pay extra for very good.

• Like 6

If there are no writings in the book, then I don't care if the thing is falling apart.  As long as we can still read the words, I'm ok. 

And actually, I don't mind a little bit of writing in the margin of novels.  Our used copy of The Odyssey had minimal writing and it did add to the discussions we had about the book.  

Writing in workbooks would be an absolute deal breaker.  

• Like 2

I only buy very good or new on Amazon anymore unless I truly don't need it or dont care -- maybe a novel I am not planning to keep after it is read.

Worn covers wouldn't bother me too much but I agree with others that I have been burned on condition before. I have had a "good" condition workbook mean that the first 10 exercise pages are complete, and "acceptable" mean that every page was complete, with highlighting and underlining that made the text illegible all the way through.

• Like 5

Like everybody else I only buy "good" if it specifies no writing, marking or highlighting. I will pay extra for "clean" copies and "like new" because it's worth it to me. Luckily I have been burned only a few times and when I have complained it's been taken care of (refund). I just don't have the time to mess around with getting another book, etc. ykwim?

• Like 1

Count me among those who only buy "very good" or "like new" condition on Amazon. I've been burned then too, but at the very least they're usually in better condition than things listed as "good." Definitly check seller reviews. I don't buy from sellers with less than 97% given how reviews are handled by sellers, 97% and above are usually pretty safe.

• Like 2

This is interesting because if I'm selling books in good condition I wouldn't sell something with writing or marking in it. Isn't that fair? Still usable but not that great. Very good would be near perfect. Maybe I'm missing buyers that way?

I was going to write that my standards for selling are the opposite from what I've found as a buyer.

My motto when selling is "when in doubt, go down"-- I wouldn't want a buyer to be disappointed.

But I've found the opposite when I purchase used books, so my expectation now is that the condition of a "good" book will be what I would call (barely) "acceptable."

I think it's worth paying more for the very good, or for the edition with the most information in its description. (I don't mind if a workbook is free from writing but has a coffee ring on the cover, for instance-- it will fit right in here. But I am not going to buy a workbook that has already been worked. Never again, workbook that was in "very good" condition except for the fact that every single page was filled in dutifully.)

• Like 4

Great example of this today! I was looking through a SAT Subject test review book that I recently purchased off Amazon. It said: "Used - Good - (4th Edition) Paperback. Light corner wear. Two pages contain notations and underlining."

Those two pages? The first two pages of the first diagnostic test - with crossed off/circled answers!

I'll have to retype those two before DD takes it. The rest of the book is clean. Man, who knew? It was like they quit before they even got started!

• Like 1

The pricing on Amazon is so variable.  You could wait a few days and find a "very good" for even less than the "good" you're looking at now.

I only buy "good" from Amazon if I have no other option.  If the better quality books are priced way higher then I wait or buy new, if possible.  I've received crap "good" books from Amazon too many times to count.

• Like 4

It depends on the book.... first I look for the cheapest Very Good... but it depends most on how I expect to use the book. If it's a text we will rely on all semester or more, then I won't go below Very Good. If it's a supplement I don't mind some highlighting/ marking then I might consider it if the price difference was significant. For something intended to white in only like new or new. (Even if we don't intend to write in it)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I would not pay that much  differential in price between Good and Very Good..   I try always to buy textbooks for DD that are listed as "Used -Very Good".  Even that's not a guarantee there will be no writing or marking on pages, although it is suppossed to be, according to the Amazon Guidelines for Used Books.  

If it is a small seller, I would send them a message on Amazon and ask them to look at the pages (obviously nobody is going to look at every page, but they can scan for you) to see if there is any writing, highlighting or other marking on the pages.  

I've even had that done for me, 2 or 3 times, by HPB Books in Dallas, a huge seller we've purchased numerous books from.

A huge Seller probably will not be able to inspect for you like that. A small Seller should be able and willing to do so.

My DD finds marking on the pages very distracting, which I find very understandable.

Again, $10 for the book described as "Good" and $24 for the book described as "Very Good" is way too much difference for me.    If the Seller of the $10 book has very good recent Feedback (I look primarily at the past 30 days feedback) I would buy the $10 book.

Note: Sometimes, you can find a book that is "New" (possibly with a school stamp or remainder mark) for a little bit more than a Used book. That is the case for the English textbook we need to buy for DD now.  

NOTE: The vast majority of textbooks we have purchased for DD have been at least in the condition the Seller specified. Many were quite a bit better than their listings indicated.  One book, I think a Workbook, had several missing pages. That was the worst case, out of many many books.

On several occasions (3?) I've purchased textbooks for DD on eBay and saved a bunch of $ each time, compared to the same book in the same condition on Amazon at that time.

ETA: The book for $10 may not have any writing, highlighting or other markings on the pages.  If you are lucky, the $10 book will be fine. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

I've actually just gotten pickier about which used book sellers I use. Some great ones use "good" to include no writing in text, and I've gotten some great deals.

Also, here I am to fully admit that I absolutely am an in-book writer, and I have encouraged DD to be too. It's why I am buying used books. I've gotten them at a great deal, and I have always done it ever since my Freshman year of college when I realized that I could highlight and write because I finally owned the book. It was like the shackles were finally off. For some nicer books, we use sticky notes but I just have so many random thoughts that pop into my head as I'm reading that it just doesn't work for me to take notes outside of the book initially. I've generally been the type to read, highlight, then take notes. DD is still trying to figure out her preference but I give her the freedom.

• Like 1

I usually only buy books where, from the description, I can tell that a human being actually looked at the exact copy of book I will be buying and wrote a description of that particular copy.  As in, I avoid "may have highlighting" (um, did you look?), or anything listed with just a generic blurb about shipping, and I seek out more detailed listings.  I do pay more in the short run, but in the long run I avoid a lot of hassle and have a book I can re-sell for more.

When selling, I put NO HIGHLIGHTING or CLEAN PAGES first in my description, then try to give a very clear idea of the condition of pages, binding, and covers.  I also list the ISBN, copyright year, and edition, as that isn't always clear from the Amazon listing when there are multiple versions of a book.   And I list where I'm shipping from and that I offer expedited shipping.  It doesn't take that much longer - I have a basic template and I have to look at these things anyway to be sure I am listing correctly.  For pricing, I look at what's available (and how highly ranked the book is, selling-wise) and try to list mine price-wise so that it is the first one someone comes across if they are as picky as I am as a buyer.  In other words, I charge more than your average version of the particular condition, because buyers can be more confident about what they're getting.

• Like 4

Follow-on to my first reply. We have purchased a number of textbooks, for one cent plus shipping, or close to that. Sometimes, some of the very large reputable Amazon Sellers will get into what I call a "price war", and sometimes the price goes down to one cent plus shipping, if they do not sell all of the books they have in stock, as the price is winding down toward one cent. . The price of those books has *nothing* to do with their condition. We have purchased books for one cent that are in Good or Very Good condition. Two of the Amazon Marketplace Sellers I can think of that participate in those price wars are HPB-Dallas (and their affiliated companies) and BetterWorldBooks.  I think the Thriftbooks companies also participate. There's one in Dallas.    Probably our biggest score was an English textbook that was selling for about  $20 or $25 + shipping, as I recall.  There was never a "price war" for that book.  One day, about 5 or 6 P.M., E.S.T., I looked on Amazon and BetterWorldBooks, a Seller that had not previously listed that book, came in and listed it for one cent plus shipping.  I told DD to keep her fingers crossed and pray... That may be the English textbook she is using at this time. I think it was used by one student previously.   ETA: Most of the large Sellers do use a boilerplate phrase when they list information about the book and so for "Good" books they will show something about it may contain writing, highlighting, etc. Occasionally, I see listings where they specify there is no writing or highlighting or marking on the pages. I think the largest Sellers have people who scan the books to give them an idea of the condition and they only have a few seconds to spend on each book. I suspect that's how we ended up with a Workbook with 4 or 5 missing pages once. They do not check each page.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

On the Feedback page of an Amazon Seller I am contemplating buying a used English textbook from, for DD, I saw this reply from Amazon.  Apparently that particular seller sells FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon), and also sells directly. I do not buy FBA books. Also, the Feedback shown for an FBA Seller is not correct, because Amazon strikes the Negative Feedbacks.   Another reason I do not buy FBA is that if I were to send a message to the Seller,,asking them where the item would be shipped from, or,  asking them to inspect the book, as I suggested upthread, it is impossible for them to do that.

"Message from Amazon: This item was fulfilled by Amazon, and we take responsibility for this fulfillment experience"

• Like 1

On Amazon, trying to order a book I need. I hope to use this book through 2 children. I can pay less than $10 for one in "good condition" and then the description says may have writing and highlighting on pages. Or pay more like $24 for "very good" condition, and says pages are clear of writing. 

Depends on whether the book is likely to be the kind of book to have writing in it (i.e. a workbook) or highlighting (e.g. college textbook) - some sellers just put it as a generic disclaimer, but rarely actually have much writing/highlighting. The math on this one says that you could buy two copies at the cheaper price for the same cost as buying one at the more expensive price (less than $10 times 2 plus $4 shipping times 2 equals less than $28, and $24 plus $4 shipping equals $28). Of course, that only works if there are multiple lower quality copies listed at the cheaper price, and if you don't need it right now (as in, you can order one, get it, and order another one if it turns out to have too much writing/highlighting). Of course, also depends on how rich I am and how much of a hassle I'm willing to deal with. 

So, long story short, yes, I might be willing to pay the higher price for a copy that says "no writing/highlighting" if all of the cheaper copies all say "may have writing/highlighting", because I'm lazy. But I wouldn't pay twice the price just for the difference in 'good' vs. 'very good'. And it depends on the book and the actual seller and all that too. I regularly buy things listed as 'good', though I try to avoid the ones that say 'may contain writing/highlighting'. 

For the record, I haven't had much bad luck, and I don't think I've ever paid that big a difference either (I probably have in dollar amount, but the difference being $90 vs $75 or something, not twice the effective cost). 

• Like 3

Depends on whether the book is likely to be the kind of book to have writing in it (i.e. a workbook) or highlighting (e.g. college textbook) - some sellers just put it as a generic disclaimer, but rarely actually have much writing/highlighting. The math on this one says that you could buy two copies at the cheaper price for the same cost as buying one at the more expensive price (less than $10 times 2 plus $4 shipping times 2 equals less than $28, and $24 plus $4 shipping equals $28). Of course, that only works if there are multiple lower quality copies listed at the cheaper price, and if you don't need it right now (as in, you can order one, get it, and order another one if it turns out to have too much writing/highlighting). Of course, also depends on how rich I am and how much of a hassle I'm willing to deal with. 

So, long story short, yes, I might be willing to pay the higher price for a copy that says "no writing/highlighting" if all of the cheaper copies all say "may have writing/highlighting", because I'm lazy. But I wouldn't pay twice the price just for the difference in 'good' vs. 'very good'. And it depends on the book and the actual seller and all that too. I regularly buy things listed as 'good', though I try to avoid the ones that say 'may contain writing/highlighting'. 

For the record, I haven't had much bad luck, and I don't think I've ever paid that big a difference either (I probably have in dollar amount, but the difference being $90 vs $75 or something, not twice the effective cost). 

+1    Basic Primary school arithmetic to the rescue...  The OP can buy two (2) 10 dollar books, and have them shipped, for the same total cost as the 24 dollar book plus shipping.  If she does that, hopefully (Probably?) she will end up with 2 very nice, unmarked, copies of that book.  

• Like 1