Menu

Americans, I need help with this phrasing...

avbprincess

How best to say good night  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these options sounds best to you?

• I wish you good night.
    • I wish you a good night.
    • I bid you good night.

United States Americans, that is.  :)

Hello Hive! I'm helping someone writing American English subtitles for a French film. In the film, a man says good night, every night, to the family with whom he is currently living, using the exact same words. The man is saying that he hopes they have a good night. I'm trying to decide how his words should be written in English that would sound most natural to Americans. Can you ladies please help me out by choosing the option you think sounds best, even though Americans would not naturally use these particular phrases?

Note #1: I did not include an Other option because we're not really open to other options at this point.

Note #2: I'm not including the original French for reference because I want to know what sounds best in English, disregarding the accuracy of the translation, which is not in question.

ETA: For more context, the man is being formal with his "hosts," as he is a WWII German soldier who has been placed in the home of a French family during the Occupation. He is also trying to be gracious and kind because he knows they don't want him there. The phrases I've included in the poll are, of course, very formal and not modern at all, but are very appropriate for the time and circumstances of the film.

Edited by avbprincess

I voted the second, but for something said EVERY night, it's most common to just say "Good night." All the choices sound a bit formal for daily use, but if the character is trying to make it an extra-special gesture, almost like a catch-phrase, it makes sense. As a frequent subtitle reader, none of the voices would be weird or distracting to me. There are always some quirks when you read subtitles and I just assume they're going for more of a direct translation.

• Like 5

None of those sound at all natural for someone to say on a daily basis in America in the 20th century.  Even if they were said once, I can't imagine them being said without a wink (and I'd almost imagine putting on a British accent...)

If the film is set in France or elsewhere in Europe and better yet a long time ago and maybe these people are aristocrats, I might pick the third?

Edited by Matryoshka

United States Americans, that is.  :)

Hello Hive! I'm helping someone writing American English subtitles for a French film. In the film, a man says good night, every night, to the family with whom he is currently living, using the exact same words. The man is saying that he hopes they have a good night. I'm trying to decide how his words should be written in English that would sound most natural to Americans. Can you ladies please help me out by choosing the option you think sounds best or that you would personally use?

Note #1: I did not include an Other option because we're not really open to other options at this point.

Note #2: I'm not including the original French for reference because I want to know what sounds best in English, disregarding the accuracy of the translation, which is not in question.

ETA: For more context, the man is being very formal with his "hosts," as he is a WWII German soldier who has been placed in the home of a French family during the Occupation. He is also trying to be gracious and kind because he knows they don't want him there. The phrases I've included in the poll are, of course, very formal and not modern at all, but are very appropriate for the time and circumstances of the film.

Ah! context is everything. 

You shouldn't be asking what would sound most natural to Americans or what Americans would personally use. None of these phrases sounds natural and we would not use them.

But your context is not one of natural, native speaker use. It is formal, non-native speaker use in uncomfortable circumstances and approaching a century ago.

I would go with your second option, which I'm guessing is pretty much a direct translation of the French. The first option is also fine. Third option is weird--excessively archaic.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Factoring in the updated information, it doesn't need to sound American at all. It just needs to be a translation that makes sense. In that situation, a translation of how a German would formally say good night to his hosts would be just fine. The acting itself will infuse more meaning into that simple "good night" than a wordy translation.

• Like 3

I voted before I read your post (oops).  I voted for I bid you goodnight because I thought that was the "best" way of the three (which is what your poll asks).  However, I agree that none of those options are natural in the US.  Even in a formal setting, I would just say "Goodnight" or "I hope you have a good night".

None of them sound natural.

Since it sounds like he's supposed to sound formal and perhaps a little awkward, I think the final one sounds the most like something someone would actually say. The "I wish you" part just doesn't seem right to my ears. I know you're not open to other options, but something like, "Have a good night" or "I hope you have a good night" would seem to make more sense to me.

• Like 1

I voted #3, especially given the context you added.

In my family we enjoy using formal phrases. My dad (an immigrant from a more formal country) still actually says things like this. He will thank my mother for the "excellent repast." My brothers and I do it for fun. We will "bid everyone good night" before "retiring to our chambers" (another expression my dad uses :-) ), "drawing a bath" and "performing our ablutions." Yes, we are weird LOL. But we get a kick out of it. We do try to tone it down when normal people are around, haha.

• Like 6

I think any of them would be fine. 

FWIW, if I was to see a film with the situation you describe, I wouldn't expect him to sound like a colloquial American, even of a century ago.  Tat would sound quite wrong to my ear, like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood.  I'd expect his phrasing to sound European, and like a fairly direct translation of whatever I imagine a German or French person would say.

• Like 1

The "most American" of all rock bands, the Grateful Dead, closed many of their concerts with the traditional song "We Bid You Goodnight" (sung a capella). Sounds like pretty "American" phrasing to me, especially in the context provided above.

And while the song title is "We Bid You Goodnight," the lyric is "I bid you goodnight."

To me, raised in Southern US but lived all over the country, the phrase "I wish you..." has a slight malevolent or accusatory edge. In conversation, you'd hear "I wish you would take out the trash" or "I wish you would call some time" or "I wish she would listen to me." I haven't heard Americans "wish" something for others except in a passive/aggressive manner. Usually "I hope" is used in benevolent phrasing: "I hope you have fun" or "I hope you have a good birthday." Less common, yet probably wouldn't sound too strange would be "I hope you have a good night", but "have a good night" or "good night" would be best.

"I bid you goodnight" sounds the least odd in phrasing of the three listed.

This reminds me of a time in Mexico where multiple people congratulated a friend for being blonde. We thought it was likely a direct translation of the Spanish word that sounded odd when said in English.

Edited by ErinE

I just read what you added. He is a German in France during WWII, so I'm not sure why it has to sound contemporary American. According to the context it sounds like it should be formal and a little forced so I bid you goodnight sounds right to me.

I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, and a happy New Year!

This is a song, not a statement. You would verbally tell someone, in general conversation, "I wish you a Merry Christmas" as opposed to saying it, "Merry Christmas to you" or just "Merry Christmas"?

Also-

Best wishes

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday

None of the above are passive-aggressive. 

These are informal ways of implying good will and none start with "I wish you...". A written "I wish you..." is different from a verbal "I wish you."

Rephrasing the above so that they start with "I wish", it sounds odd when I say aloud:

"I wish you a happy birthday."

"I wish you a speedy recovery."

These aren't phrases I've heard Americans use in conversation. Like I said before, I usually hear "I hope" when it's a more formal statement.

"I wish you the best" is not something I've heard someone say in a benevolent manner. It's usually dismissive and depending on the tone, can be very derisive.

This is a song, not a statement. You would verbally tell someone, in general conversation, "I wish you a Merry Christmas" as opposed to saying it, "Merry Christmas to you" or just "Merry Christmas"?

These are informal ways of implying good will and none start with "I wish you...". A written "I wish you..." is different from a verbal "I wish you."

Rephrasing the above so that they start with "I wish", it sounds odd when I say aloud:

"I wish you a happy birthday."

"I wish you a speedy recovery."

These aren't phrases I've heard Americans use in conversation. Like I said before, I usually hear "I hope" when it's a more formal statement.

"I wish you the best" is not something I've heard someone say in a benevolent manner. It's usually dismissive and depending on the tone, can be very derisive.

But neither have I ever, even once, heard someone in real life say "I bid you..."

That brings to mind Robin Hood or some such.

• Like 2

I voted" I wish you a good night", but I think it depends at what time it is being said.  If there is some time left in the evening "...a good night" sounds like there is time to do something to make it a good night.  If it is immediately before people go to bed, then "...good night" is what I would normally say to my family.  As long as you are making it formal by saying I wish you . . . , then I think you need to put the "a" in there.