Menu

Repair or ditch?

DawnM

I have until tomorrow to decide.

I have a 60" TV that was given to us.  It is not the new kind you can mount on the wall, but it isn't the huge bulkiest kind either.  It weighs around 140 pounds.  It is HUGE.

We have had this monstrosity in our master bedroom for 2 years and enjoyed the larger size as we can sit in bed and watch it across the room.

It will NOT be moving with us, and definitely needs to go before listing the house.  

However, we will not be listing for at least 4 months, possibly 5.

The repair is $25 and just two screws to pop out the old lamp and pop in the new one, screw the two screws back, and pop on the cover.  All of it is in front of the TV, so no digging or crawling behind the TV.

I am going back and forth on just ditching it now and getting it OUT or repairing it and enjoying it another few months.

FWIW:  we do have a 37 inch TV that we can use in there that fits much better in the space and can sit on top of a dresser or small cabinet and will be moving with us as it is a flat TV that can fit easily in the moving truck.

What is your gut feeling????'

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

Ditch it! I think Best Buy will accept and recycle used electronics. If you have a local store, you can call to see if they will take it.

I don't think anyone will buy it???? Does anyone want those old tvs any more? Since you have another tv you can use, and you know you want to get rid of it within the next few months, just ditch it now.

• Like 1

Ditch it! I think Best Buy will accept and recycle used electronics. If you have a local store, you can call to see if they will take it.

I don't think anyone will buy it???? Does anyone want those old tvs any more? Since you have another tv you can use, and you know you want to get rid of it within the next few months, just ditch it now.

That is true! It might be hard to sell, even if you fix it. We can't put old tvs in the trash here, so people post all the time trying to give them away. You can recycle them, but only during certain hours during certain weekdays. Our Best Buys no longer accept them either.

• Like 1

If I was in your shoes, I would fix it and ship it with your other stuff.   However, we had a TV set that weighed approximately 100 Kilos (212 pounds).  I wanted to take it to the local repair shop, to get a free estimate, but I had no way to get it there and then get it home.  We ended up giving it away. It was a VERY high end LG with the old style CRT picture tube, that I won in a raffle, Christmas 2003.   Sad to see it go.  When we had the house built, we had a concrete shelf built in the TV room, for it to sit on...  I know what you mean by heavy...    However, if it is a Plasma set, those use a lot of power and will increase your electric bill. 

• Like 1

Around here, working tv sets that size would probably bring at least $50 and go quickly on our town's Facebook sale site.   We live in a pretty depressed town and people without a tv would rather pay $50 to get a large one than buy a tiny one from Walmart. I'm shocked at the things people sell on there- garage sale prices, but without the hassle of a garage sale. 

• Like 1

If I was in your shoes, I would fix it and ship it with your other stuff.   However, we had a TV set that weighed approximately 100 Kilos (212 pounds).  I wanted to take it to the local repair shop, to get a free estimate, but I had no way to get it there and then get it home.  We ended up giving it away. It was a VERY high end LG with the old style CRT picture tube, that I won in a raffle, Christmas 2003.   Sad to see it go.  When we had the house built, we had a concrete shelf built in the TV room, for it to sit on...  I know what you mean by heavy...    However, if it is a Plasma set, those use a lot of power and will increase your electric bill. 

The reason we aren't even entertaining taking it is because we have a 50" that can mount on the wall, and some 37" TVs and we are moving to a much smaller house (much higher COL area.)

We have determined that we will only take TVs that are flat and won't take up too much moving truck space.

HOWEVER, we aren't 100% sure we are moving this summer, if DH doesn't get laid off, he and my middle son are wanting to wait another year.  In that case, I would want to keep it, SO, that may make up my mind.

• Like 4

Around here, working tv sets that size would probably bring at least $50 and go quickly on our town's Facebook sale site.   We live in a pretty depressed town and people without a tv would rather pay $50 to get a large one than buy a tiny one from Walmart. I'm shocked at the things people sell on there- garage sale prices, but without the hassle of a garage sale. 

I live in a similar place and I see old giant tube TVs at the side of the road every other week.  Sometimes they sit for weeks because they no longer are supposed to take them with the garbage collection.  After awhile they just take them.  We couldn't get rid of ours even for free.  We just threw it out.

• Like 4

If you know it's only going to cost $25 to fix it and you can do it yourself easily - order the part and fix it.  You could use some down time, and $25 over a few months isn't very pricey.  I'd fix it, and then give it away via freecycle or whatever when you're ready to list the house or don't want it any more.

I would have said ditch it, but you made it sound like such an easy, cheap fix... I think it'd see enough use over a few months to make it worthwhile.

• Like 4

In post #13, I equated 100 Kilos to 212 pounds.  I have only had one cup of Strong Colombian Coffee today. That should have been 220 pounds.  We have that concrete shelf in our TV room that would support your TV, but if it is Plasma, we probably wouldn't want to use it, because of the Power Consumption.  In CA, they have a tax, for Plasma TVs above a certain size and I think 60" would be taxed in CA.  If it is not Plasma, fix it and ship it with your other stuff.

• Like 1

if you already have three TVs in addition to this one, why would you even bother with it?

Seriously, how many TV sets do people own?

We have TVs that have only been used for gaming, they aren't hooked up for TV.  I am currently using one of those.  

And why?  Well, 60" is vastly different than 36", but I currently have the 36" on and it isn't really bothering me, but i am sitting close.

• Like 1

Looks like about half and half, I guess I should have done a poll.

My organizer was horrified that I was even entertaining the idea of fixing it, DH rolled his eyes when I mentioned fixing it, and the $25 lamps on Amazon have so-so reviews.

I am leaning towards getting rid of it, but ask me tomorrow, my mind might change again.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

Ok, I listed it 2 days ago, I have had NO takers, no questions, no nothing.

Now I am looking online and no one will take it.  Goodwill says no to non-working TVs.  Landfill will cost $39 to haul off.

Staples and Best Buy say recycling on specific days like twice per year and I can't see if they would actually take it or not.

UGH.

You may end up paying the $25 just to get Goodwill to take it.

UGH.

Or maybe we can get a pile going to take to the dump and get a bunch of stuff......but it will take a while to get the pile together.

I am going to call Staples and Best Buy today and see when their day to take it is, maybe, with any luck, it is coming up soon.

Dumpster rental is fairly reasonable here--it might be worth checking in to if you know you have quite a bit to go.

So far the rentals for a dumpster I have looked at are HIGH.  10 days and a dump is $400.  We don't have that much stuff!  

My goal is to fill both large trash cans every week and get rid of all the little stuff like that.  Large items will be listed and either sold or given away.

The rest will go to Goodwill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought of this thread when I saw this ad posted on our local facebook page:

42 in Emerson led flat screen made June 2015 pic and everything Iis great. Needs a power board which cost about 100$ I already got bigger tv. Anybody interested in it 30$ its urs!

Of course, nobody has posted that they are interested.

• Like 1