Menu

Meaning of the word "until"

Twigs

What do you think the phrase "I will be out of the office until February" means?

I think it means "I will be back sometime during the month of February"; a coworker thinks it means "I will be back Febuary 1st". She bases her interpretation on the grammar of the word "until".

Am I so uneducated in grammar? Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Based on the actual definition February 1st is a reasonable expectation. However, the way we use a word or phrase doesn't always match the meaning. Without a specific date given, I'd interpret it to mean sometime in February. 

ETA: I'd probably think sometime the first week of February.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 8

I'd guess the first Monday in February, so for this year, the 6th. No other reason aside from that it makes sense in my brain to start back to work fresh on a Monday. I would think there's some leeway as to which date in Feb. If I were creating an outgoing message, I'd try to be more specific though. 

• Like 2

I interpret it as planning to be in the office the first business day of February.   I would expect a person planning to return at a later date to specify the date.  For example,  a person planning to return to the office on February 9th might state "I will be out of the office until February 9th,"  "I will be out of the office through February 8th,"  or "I will return to the office on February 9th." 

If the person isn't sure of a return date, "I will return to the office sometime in February," conveys the message,  but I would expect more precision in a business setting.  

• Like 2

Until February=first business day in February, just like:

Out until Friday means you will be back on Friday or:

Out until 10:30 means you will be back after 10:30

Thanks, nevergive up. My comment below is not aimed at you or your comment.

My point of view is, when someone says "out until Friday", it could be any time on Friday, not just 12:01 am. In the same way, "out until February" means sometime in February, not just the 1st day or 1st business day. Apparently, my thinking is in the minority.

Thanks to all who have commented.

• Like 1

I'd ask for clarification if it mattered to me at all.  Or offer clarification, if I were the speaker.  If it matters...like with work.  With my kids (poor kids), "I'll get to <insert household project> soon," means within the next 3 months.  

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 1

I think of "until" sort of as a deadline.  If I said you have until noon today to respond, that doesn't mean sometime after 12:00. It doesn't mean anytime tomorrow.  I means the cut off is noon today.  So if someone said they would be out of the office until February, I would take that to mean that they would be back in the office at the start of business on the first business day of February. 

• Like 3

So here's a question - if I said "my sister slept in a crib until she was 5yo," does that imply she moved out of the crib on her 5th birthday, or sometime before her 6th birthday?

Or, "she wet the bed until she was 7yo."

Or, "it can snow until May or even June in these parts."

To me these general cutoffs do not imply the 1st day of the stated time period.

And if it is a matter of official importance, I can't think of ever seeing a time range stated without actual dates.  "This office is closed from June 5 through August 20."  "This court will recess until Monday morning at 9am."  "I will be on vacation from December 23 through January 3."

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

I think it might be deliberately vague.

It implies 'back 2/1' but if someone was a bit late returning, she could plausibly say, "But it IS February, and I'm back!" for any day of the month.

Oh yes, I do think it is CYA / deliberately mushy language.    

• Like 1

Another one:  "they only have recess until 5th grade in our school district."  Does that imply you get recess in 5th grade or not?  I think yes.

I think it technically means recess ends at 4th.  But it's such poor wording, really hard to glean what the person is attempting to convey.

• Like 1

So here's a question - if I said "my sister slept in a crib until she was 5yo," does that imply she moved out of the crib on her 5th birthday, or sometime before her 6th birthday?

Or, "she wet the bed until she was 7yo."

Or, "it can snow until May or even June in these parts."

To me these general cutoffs do not imply the 1st day of the stated time period.

And if it is a matter of official importance, I can't think of ever seeing a time range stated without actual dates. "This office is closed from June 5 through August 20." "This court will recess until Monday morning at 9am." "I will be on vacation from December 23 through January 3."

How about, "My husband was faithful to me until the day he died."

I would take it as "I don't know exactly when I will be back and don't want to spell that out in a way that encourages other people to invade my privacy".

E.g. "My mother is dying and I plan to stay with her until the end. It might be days or weeks, but not longer."

Or

"My Oncologist says it usually takes 4 - 8 weeks to recover, depending on what they find and how much tissue they remove."

• Like 1