Menu

Would you let your kids wear shorts...

...when it is 50F, 40F, or even 30F? What about when there is a foot of snow outside, and they have been invited to go sledding?

My neighbor allows this, and it really irks me.

ETA: For those coming in late and just reading the OP, this is a light-hearted thread. All who know me should realise that I approach issues with humor whenever possible.

Edited by beansprouts

:lol: It would bother me too. But just with my kids I notice some are more tolerant to cold than others. My littlest one and my dh are rarely cold. When the rest of us are shivering, wearing sweatshirts and long pants, they prefer shorts and tank tops. Dh always tells me that our kids whine about everything and believe me, we would know it if they were cold!!

Yes I would. Kids really are smart enough to know what feels comfortable to them.

Just today at work, we were outside (I work in a preschool) and one of my coworkers was bundling the kids up like it was below freezing. I was wearing short sleeves and felt perfectly comfortable. Some of the kids took off their jackets, threw them to the ground, and continued playing. The kids don't need jackets when they are running around and playing! The sun is warm enough. It's currently 57 degrees outside.

I figure if my son is cold, he'll put more clothes on. If he wants to wear shorts, that is up to him. Now, if he were sledding I would encourage him to put some pants on so that if we falls off the sled he wouldn't scrape up his skin. My son never wants to wear a coat either. I finally quit making him because I always ended up carrying it. :glare:

Depends. At 50, yes, if they wanted to. If they get cold, they'll come in and put something else on. Sledding, no. I have one dd who is very tolerant of cold. She's grown now still rarely wears a coat on cold days.

It also depends on how old they are. My youngest are 8.

Janet

Yes I would. Kids really are smart enough to know what feels comfortable to them.

Just today at work, we were outside (I work in a preschool) and one of my coworkers was bundling the kids up like it was below freezing. I was wearing short sleeves and felt perfectly comfortable. Some of the kids took off their jackets, threw them to the ground, and continued playing. The kids don't need jackets when they are running around and playing! The sun is warm enough. It's currently 57 degrees outside.

Yesterday, I didn't notice that my 4yo had gone out barefoot. After playing for a while, he came in with very cold red toes. I think while busy playing he didn't know how cold he had become.

We are probably low 50's today with a chilly breeze. My kids are in sweaters, pants, and shoes with socks. I think this is reasonable dress for the weather and their cold tolerance. I do not over dress them. The neighbor boy is over here in shorts. I suppose today his dress is not completely absurd, but there is still that time last February when he showed up to go sledding in shorts and boots without socks. :001_huh: TBH the family bugs me for a lot of reasons...

I agree. I don't get too involved with how much they eat or how much they layer. However, if we have something like a zoo outing planned and will be away from home, I will have them go outside in their desired gear for 10 or 15 minutes before we leave so they "can make up their minds." It's never proven to be an issue. Edited by nmoira
too many commas!!!

It's funny because dh and I have this same discussion. Dh grew up in Michigan and was frequently irked because his cold-natured (temperature-wise) mother always insisted on him wearing a coat. He insists he wasn't cold without his coat much of the time. Of course, he wore it in very cold weather. Still, she used to insist he wear it when my dh didn't feel it was very cold.

To this day, he wears shorts almost every day. He'll start wearing jeans, maybe, once it is in the 30s. He rarely wears a coat. He insists he's not cold. Because of this, he wants to let the kids wear shorts any time they want. As a result, my boys wear shorts most of the time. As someone who is cold when the temperature falls below 70 degrees, I cringe at this. So, I understand where you are coming from. However, I just try and remember my husband telling me how miserable and hot he was when he wore more clothing than his body required.

I agree. I don't get too involved with how much they eat or how much they layer. However, if we have, something like a zoo outing planned and will be away from home, I will have them go outside in their desired gear for 10 or 15 minutes before we leave so they "can make up their minds." It's never proven to be an issue.

This is excellent advice regarding outings. I will remember it.

You know what? My kids are brilliant, they really are!

But sometimes...

They just aren't very smart. :lol:

...when it is 50F, 40F, or even 30F? What about when there is a foot of snow outside, and they have been invited to go sledding?

[/VENT]

Some of this depends on where you live too. I remembered something my dh told me about skiing in the western US. He said it was very common in the spring for girls to ski in bikinis and guys to ski shirtless. I didn't believe him until we lived in the mountains for a summer. It's weird but the sun is very warm but the temperature isn't that high and there is still snow everywhere.

Some of this depends on where you live too. I remembered something my dh told me about skiing in the western US. He said it was very common in the spring for girls to ski in bikinis and guys to ski shirtless. I didn't believe him until we lived in the mountains for a summer. It's weird but the sun is very warm but the temperature isn't that high and there is still snow everywhere.

Yeah, and back in the day I used to ride my motorcycle wearing a bikini top.

I was completely comfortable, and I looked good, but I am sure some thought I just looked stupid.

Edited by beansprouts

Yesterday, I didn't notice that my 4yo had gone out barefoot. After playing for a while, he came in with very cold red toes. I think while busy playing he didn't know how cold he had become.

We are probably low 50's today with a chilly breeze. My kids are in sweaters, pants, and shoes with socks. I think this is reasonable dress for the weather and their cold tolerance. I do not over dress them. The neighbor boy is over here in shorts. I suppose today his dress is not completely absurd, but there is still that time last February when he showed up to go sledding in shorts and boots without socks. :001_huh: TBH the family bugs me for a lot of reasons...

First, I have to ask about your 4yo: Did the child suffer any ill effects? Toes frostbitten? permanent damage? I would guess not.

I sit firmly in the camp that kids will come in if they're cold. I have coats, etc. readily available for my dc. I tell them to wear appropriate clothing. But, if they choose to go out w/o sweater/coat/shoes/hat when *I* think it is cold, so be it (my youngest is 4). They'll come in if they're cold. They may come in crying from the cold, and maybe they'll learn a lesson (listen to mom, cold snow hurts bare skin). If they are old enough to put their own clothing on, they are old enough to decide if they're cold or not, is my motto.

From your post, I think maybe I'm your neighbor, cuz I'm sure I DO bug my neighbors in a miriad of ways!

. . . I don't trust them to figure it out before injuring or endangering themselves. Ds generally strips down to shorts and a t-shirt when he's playing with his friends, even in quite chilly weather. I don't much care.

But sledding in shorts seems a good example of where I'd intervene. Kids lack judgment and experience. That's why they come equipped with parents. ;)

My kids love their shorts however when we lived in tucson. They never wore long pants even though it would get in the 30/40's on occassion just a jacket. I just let them figure it out. However, sledding you can get very heated fast and will not really pay attention if your legs got cold because they would be numb.

[/VENT]

Absolutely, yes.

In my youthful days when I backpacked throughout the eastern Appalachian range, I often wore shorts in cold weather. Only got uncomfortably cold if stopped for too long a time.

I wear walking shorts pretty much throughout the year. Yes, I get strange looks from time to time.

If the child is uncomfortable in shorts, I would assume that said child would learn from that experience to dress in a way that makes him or her more comfortable.

My kids have walked to mailbox BAREFOOT in snow.

Maybe not when a child is 3 or 4, because I don't want to deal with children coming in cold and miserable and crying.

But if my 10 year olds wanted to wear shorts in the snow. Whatever. If you are cold, I assume you will come in and put more clothes on. Why would that irk you?

Edited to say that if I were sending my child to YOUR house for sledding and you were going to feel in charge, I probably would encourage them to take warmer clothes even if they didn't think they would want them. That way if they discovered that they really were miserable and needed more clothes, it wouldn't feel like your problem.

Maybe not when a child is 3 or 4, because I don't want to deal with children coming in cold and miserable and crying.

But if my 10 year olds wanted to wear shorts in the snow. Whatever. If you are cold, I assume you will come in and put more clothes on. Why would that irk you?

I guess it's not that big a deal. It does help to hear this from intelligent people.

It's the FAMILY that bugs me, so, pretty much everything they do irks me.

I really should practice that "grace" thing, but it isn't always easy...

My kids can make any decision they want...and when they figure out they've made a weird one, they can come back in and change. <shrug>

. . . I don't trust them to figure it out before injuring or endangering themselves. Ds generally strips down to shorts and a t-shirt when he's playing with his friends, even in quite chilly weather. I don't much care.

But sledding in shorts seems a good example of where I'd intervene. Kids lack judgment and experience. That's why they come equipped with parents. ;)

What I've witnessed among my friends and their children is that what the child figures out is not how to gauge their own comfort / discomfort, but rather, how to get their parents' knickers in a twist. It's totally become a control issue. I'm not saying that is the case here among these posters in this thread. But because I walked through the zoo with a blue-lipped, pain in the a$$ 4-year old every week for a whole winter, appropriate clothing is not optional in my house. When my boys get to college they can wear or not wear whatever the heck they want, which they do inside the house now.

If ds ever has the ability to sled here shorts won't matter, because someplace else is freezing over. :lol::lol:

I always froze as a child in the midwest, but shorts and a sweatshirt was/is my favorite fall attire.

Ds will wear shorts and no shirt until he is absolutely freezing, which means low 60's here. I always tell him that is why we have clothes. When it gets into the 40's that is when we require long pants.

We usually have him take layers if we are going out.

When we were kids the rule for wearing shorts was it had to be 60 degrees or above when we left for school. I had the telephone number for weather information memorized.

absolutely. assuming they have a normal, intact pain/temperature sensing system and won't do something that absolutely harms them.

they'll put on other things if they need it. I used to ski in shorts, or less (ack! bathing suit!!) as a teen in colorado when it was 'warm'.

they get to pick their 'normal' daily wear clothes. I get the last say on family events, holidays, shabbat.

K

If not, I'd insist they at least bring them. Otherwise, whoever is taking them sledding could end up with an unhappy child, and that's not fair to them.

Also, if they are too young to make a good decision (and that will vary by child), I will make that decision for them. Young children don't always get cause and effect.

Edited by Rhonda in TX

What I've witnessed among my friends and their children is that what the child figures out is not how to gauge their own comfort / discomfort, but rather, how to get their parents' knickers in a twist.

Oh, yeah. :D

Have I mentioned my parenting motto here? I'm sure I must have. It starts, "We do not negotiate . . ." :patriot:

I walked through the zoo with a blue-lipped, pain in the a$$ 4-year old every week for a whole winter,

I have this 1yo? his name's Theo?--and, like, I can imagine him in a similar setting.

Dh says that the only thing saving Theo from himself is that I am more stubborn than he is. :tongue_smilie:

[/VENT]

Unless someone is keeping you from dressing *yourself* I can't imagine HOW it impacts you. I would NEVER presume to know what clothing is best for my child or anyone else's child unless i was inside that body, which is impossible. My kids know what suits them best. As a mom, I will bring along short sleeved shirts or shorts or jackets or whatever, but invariably the kids are just fine in whatever they have picked out. sometimes they are glad i bring stuff along to add or subtract to/from what they've picked but almost always they know best.

Here is my (then) 3yo who thought a sundress (completely nekkid underneath) was GREAT for a sudden snowstorm (she'd never seen snow). I tried to talk her out of it, then decided she'd figure things out on her own. She did. She also lasted a LOT longer than I thought she would in just the sundress.

Edited to add that you will find us in sweatshirts and jeans once the thermometer dips below 80F. We're used to HOT and it is HOT here almost all year long. Winter means 80F, severe winter in 60F. :) We don't even own shoes or socks so when we go back to the US the thriftstore for jeans, shoes, socks, etc., is our first stop.

2360140168_e4c4870c6d.jpg

Edited by jamnkats

Oh, yeah. :D

Have I mentioned my parenting motto here? I'm sure I must have. It starts, "We do not negotiate . . ." :patriot:

I have this 1yo? his name's Theo?--and, like, I can imagine him in a similar setting.

Dh says that the only thing saving Theo from himself is that I am more stubborn than he is. :tongue_smilie:

...with terrorists. Yes. I keep that as a mantra now, since I've ratcheted up my mean mommy output quotient.

Well, then, bless you dear, about Theo. The 4 year old, now much older, is the most powerful negotiator I've ever met. I think he has the makings of a fine lawyer, frankly. Nothing against lawyers or anything, but this boy has a gift.

Not for sledding. But otherwise, I see nothing wrong with letting a (developmentally normal) child decide for him/herself if they're cold. Especially if we're at home, and they can come in at any time to change. If we were *going* somewhere, I would encourage more appropriate clothing, or at least layers.

But no, if a neighbor kid were playing outside in 30-50 degree weather in shorts, it wouldn't bother me at all.

If I were *taking* them somewhere in 30 degree weather, I would ask them to run home and change or get an extra pair of pants, in case they get cold.

Here is my (then) 3yo who thought a sundress (completely nekkid underneath) was GREAT for a sudden snowstorm (she'd never seen snow). I tried to talk her out of it, then decided she'd figure things out on her own. She did. She also lasted a LOT longer than I thought she would in just the sundress.

Kathy, she's adorable!!

Edited to add that you will find us in sweatshirts and jeans once the thermometer dips below 80F. We're used to HOT and it is HOT here almost all year long. Winter means 80F, severe winter in 60F. :) We don't even own shoes or socks so when we go back to the US the thriftstore for jeans, shoes, socks, etc., is our first stop.

I am jealous. If I ever move again it will be someplace much warmer.

2360140168_e4c4870c6d.jpg

Not for sledding. But otherwise, I see nothing wrong with letting a (developmentally normal) child decide for him/herself if they're cold. Especially if we're at home, and they can come in at any time to change. If we were *going* somewhere, I would encourage more appropriate clothing, or at least layers.

But no, if a neighbor kid were playing outside in 30-50 degree weather in shorts, it wouldn't bother me at all.

What if the neighbor kid were playing at your house?

This really isn't a huge deal to me, and I am sorry if it sounded that way. I simply had an eye-rolling moment and decided to post it.

It did occur to me that my neighbor is also a homeschooler... Hopefully she is NOT a WTMer... :scared:

(Stay tuned for the "My neighbor crabbed on an internet message board about how I dress my kids" post :lol:)

1. this child may have a tendency to feel warmer than you.

or

2. this child may have sensory issues

Either way the mother may have decided long ago that there are more important battles in her house than putting on long pants. You don't know the issues. It's not your business to know the issues. So, it's a waste of your energy to be "irked". And please don't talk about how you are irked by this to other neighbors.

What if the neighbor kid were playing at your house?

This really isn't a huge deal to me, and I am sorry if it sounded that way. I simply had an eye-rolling moment and decided to post it.

It did occur to me that my neighbor is also a homeschooler... Hopefully she is NOT a WTMer... :scared:

(Stay tuned for the "My neighbor crabbed on an internet message board about how I dress my kids" post :lol:)

I swear it IS US! Are you sure you're not in Indiana?:tongue_smilie:

ETA: For those coming in late and just reading the OP, this is a light-hearted thread. All who know me should realise that I approach issues with humor whenever possible.

Weather being the issue, I wouldn't care. My dh wears shorts ALL the time. A sports event where they may rip up the skin, yes pants required.