Menu

Portable, quick high protein/fat breakfasts?

Dmmetler

DD12 has classes at the CC starting at 9:00 and is a bear to be around if she doesn't get something with some protein and fat in it in her in the morning. She is not an early riser by nature, and tends to graze as she wakes up. I'm trying to find stuff I can make ahead that would be car-friendly. She does well with scrambled eggs at home, but they're not all that portable. She doesn't like hardboiled eggs-the texture bothers her.

Maybe Mini-quiche?

Burritos? If she likes scrambled eggs this is pretty easy to just fold up and put in.  Can add cheese or bacon or ketchup etc if it needs something more. Just wrap in foil and should be easy to eat in car.

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 6

Breakfast pizza!  I make one with a GF crust, scrambled eggs, sausage and or bacon and sometimes mushrooms. A quick trip into the oven in the morning and it's ready to go.

Peanut butter sandwich might be another option if she can have peanut butter.

• Like 5

We call them egg muffins. I make dozens on Sunday and we reheat them all week long.

Eggs- beaten with a fork

Meat of your choice (cooked. We like ham or sausage)

Cheese

Salsa

Pour into greased muffin pans. Bake at 350 until no longer jiggly.

Yeah, egg cups. Crustless quiche made in muffin cups.
  • Like 1

We used to make chia pods with full fat greek yogurt, some kind of healthy fruit juice (like Naked Berry Blast, I'm sure you could blend your own) and a Tbsp or so of chia seeds. I'd make them in advance for a couple of days in 8 oz mason jars. The chia seeds soak up a lot of the moisture, so they get pudding-y and have a little crunch from the seeds. 

What about just yogurt and fruit, made in advance to grab and go? The lids might make that more portable and car friendly. 

Will she eat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, maybe with fruit or a dab of jelly?

DawnM just recently posted asking about portable, low-carb breakfasts, and there might be some ideas in there. I'll see if I can link it. 

ETA: 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/633360-looking-for-some-lower-carb-breakfasts-not-eggs/

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

What ideas does your daughter have? Is she currently of the perspective that food decisions are supposed to be parents' decisions? Or is she beginning to "own" this part of her self-care?

It sounds like an ideal opportunity for collaborative problem solving... Including brainstorming, prep work, and keeping an eye on her own needs vs how well various options work.

Is this daily? How long do you expect her to be working with this schedule?

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 2

Hard-boiled eggs.  

Pre-cooked bacon.  

Steak-bites or chicken-thigh nugget bites, precooked.  

Jerky.

Full-cream yogurt.

Some of these, obviously, require the inclusion of an ice pack.  :0)

I have that kid, and I've gone the portable car protein route before, but in the end it was just easier to make sure he had ten minutes to sit and eat breakfast at the table.  Scrambled eggs are just so quick to make and serve that it's worth keeping them if that's her go-to breakfast.  Maybe get dressed, eat, teeth, and possibly a hot tea or cocoa in a travel mug for the car?  Make sure bags, shoes, coats, and outfits are readied the night before and it's doable.

I'm not a morning person and I move slooooooowly before 9.  It's counter-intuitive, but I cope much better if I get up a bit early so I can do things at a snails pace rather than sleeping as long as possible then trying to kick into high gear to get out the door.

• Like 2

DD12 has classes at the CC starting at 9:00 and is a bear to be around if she doesn't get something with some protein and fat in it in her in the morning. She is not an early riser by nature, and tends to graze as she wakes up. I'm trying to find stuff I can make ahead that would be car-friendly. She does well with scrambled eggs at home, but they're not all that portable. She doesn't like hardboiled eggs-the texture bothers her.

Maybe Mini-quiche?

I think scramble eggs are very portable and car-friendly. I often make some while I'm getting ready for work and put them in a small Pyrex bowl with a lid. I usually put some frozen or fresh blueberries in another one and eat both when I get to work. I have a microwave at work, but I think they actually have more flavor at room temperature. I think you could make anything hot she likes in the morning and put it in a bowl for her to eat in the car. I like the Pyrex bowls with lids because you can just cover them when you are done if there is no place handy for cleaning up.

Other quick meals or snacks I like are peanut butter and apple slices or almonds and blueberries.

Also, there's no law that says you can't put scrambled eggs in a travel mug. It's easier to hold onto in the car and keeps the food warm.

I used to make 2-3 days worth of scrambled eggs for dh and then he could quickly eat them in the morning or in the car, or heat them up at work.

Maybe it is time to discuss with her that is she is mature enough for college classes (I know she is young) that she is mature enough to use an alarm clock, get up on time and make sure she eats so she isn't miserable to be around? While she is working on that the breakfast muffins sound good.

what about a smoothie made with added healthy fat and some protein powder. I like whey protein for my dancer kids, but there are a lot of options.

In the winter I make warm tea based smoothies or a hot cocoa based smoothie

I have never heard of warm or hot smoothies. Aren't smoothies expected to b cold? How do you make them? I am curious and willing to try some.

I make something like this. Naturally you can make your own version of Bisquick and vary the meat and cheese. We had these nearly every morning the last time we were in the Bahamas because they were quick and filling before going out on the boat. I actually brought my silicon muffin liners with me so I could just put them on a cookie sheet. I make them now for DS when he has an early class.

You can eat them cold or heat them and put them in a paper towel.

http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/sausage-egg-and-cheese-breakfast-muffins

We used to eat a muffin my kids called meat muffins. The main ingredients by mass and volume all had protien: turkey sausage, parmesean cheese, garbanzo beans. Our version was gf. I don't remember if there was any flour--I don't think there was. I've seen multiple versions of this--there must be a lot of recipes floating around to try. 

I used to freeze a couple dozen at a time. dd would throw one in the microwave to defrost and heat slightly and then eat it walking to school while she was in high school.