Menu

do you use makeup everyday?

HollyDay

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyday because that stuff is expensive! I'd rather invest that cash in quality skincare products. I do wear at least concealer & foundation and a swipe of lip color if I'm leaving the house or expecting someone. Sundays, important meetings and occasions, I put it all on, adjusting to the event as far as how much to wear.

Edited by Seasider

I usually wear it if I am out of the house.  I tend to use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen whenever I'll be outside, and once I've gone that far I tend to add eyeliner as well.  It seems to keep my eyes from disappearing behind my glasses.  I might wear blush if I'm looking poorly, but normally it's just tinted moisturizer and eyeliner. 

If I'm dressing for an event, with jewelry and such, I would wear lipstick and maybe more eye make-up, otherwise I find I look like I'm only partly dressed.

• Like 1

I do. I have a (not mild) case of rosacea. I feel better when I wear foundation to cover all the blotchy redness and bumps. I use mascara because I like how it opens my eyes. I wear lipgloss/lipstick because my lips are almost the same color as my face and I like to see my lips.

That said, if I'm staying home all day I may or may not put on makeup.   

I wear it just about everyday. Honestly, people will ask me if I'm feeling OK if they see me without it. :lol:

I get that, too.  Without makeup, I look tired, worn out and blotchy, like I've been up all night crying. 

If I am leaving the house in the AM to work out or just walk the dog, I don't put it on.  But, once I've showered for the day, I like to look put together.  I'm no fashion maven (usually just jeans and a nice top or sweater), but I feel like my body is sloppy enough that I like the outer package to look less sloppy.

I try to look natural, just more alert with a more even skin tone.  Most people I know are unaware that I wear makeup regularly as I use a pretty light touch (and my glasses sort of wash everything out.)  I wear a BB cream, concealer, light dusting of mineral powder to set, a quick swipe of blush, eyeliner (pencil), a little shadow, mascara, and lip gloss.  It takes me about 5 minutes.  Way less time than it takes to get dress. 

Then one should watch their weight and exercise, too.

That would go farther to looking one's best then slapping on some paint.

It is not an either/or situation.  I do work on my diet and I do exercise regularly, even in spite of some serious joint issues and pain as well as chronic illness.  But, I'd have to seriously do absolutely nothing else but that to make as much of a difference as makeup does.  To each his own. 

Most of the people I hang out with don't wear makeup (or if they do, I can't tell.)  I'm kind of an outlier among them ... a granola with mascara.  I have no trouble camping or being outdoorsy (pain issues aside.)  I just wish I could have good pony-tale or hat hair. 

• Like 4

Just my favorite brown eyeliner and Burt's Bee's pomegranate lip balm.  Otherwise I have no eyes. ;)

I have been using Argan oil for several months now on my face and there is a huge difference in my skin tone, even my kids mentioned it. 

I have never used concealer, eye cream, foundation, primer , lip scrubs, or any of the stuff my kids are into.

I also don't know how to do my hair past a ponytail, a butterfly clip, or a bun.  I can leave it down, but don't know how to style it effectively, so it doesn't look smooth and pretty, just kind of..."combed at the beginning of the day."  This gets me looking at those fabric curl things every couple of months, wondering if I just did that, if my hair would be more stylish, or if I wouldn't end up doing them.  

I have never been able to do more than pony tails, buns or butterfly clips either.  I love long hair but I never, ever, wear it down.  I have tried over the years to get a cut and style and I have always ended up hating it.  I panic if it is too short to put up.

I do love my white streaks that have gradually taken over, I think they are pretty and I know I've earned every one. ;)

I think we have similar coloring, and wanted to share that I recently discovered the wonders of brow tinting. There is a place called Seva that has a little salon in my Walmart of all places, and they do it. Lasts at least several weeks, and makes my brows actually visible. I got a TON of compliments the first time I did it, and now I'm trying to do it on a regular basis. If you are already getting brows waxed or threaded it's only $10, and I swear it lasted at least a month on me. I'm sure there is also an at home version that is cheaper. Life changing!

They also do eyelash extensions which I LOVED beyond anything, but you have to stay avoid water and heat for 48 hours after getting them, and well..I didn't. I was baking cookies and sticking my head in the oven over and over then had to shower for church, and they only lasted about a week, if that. So not worth it. I may try again though, because they looked amazing. 

I had to laugh, my boss came into work yesterday after having her eyebrows dyed and they were too dark!  She was panicking and pulling her bangs over them and left early to go somewhere to get them fixed.  I didn't notice until she said something but then all I could see all day was her eyebrows. ;)

Eyelash extensions sound cool, I didn't even know that was a thing! 

We have spent a fair amount of time in "beauty shops" lately.  Oldest dd got a DivaCurl cut last Saturday (it is so cute!!!!).  Youngest is 17 and graduating high school so she wanted to learn more about makeup and perhaps update her look.  She did a makeover and now has BB cream, foundation, bronzer, blush, setting powder....They were out of the highlighter she wanted.  And of course, lipstick.  Youngest loves lipstick. 

I've decided a bit of CC cream goes a long way.  I also use a brow pencil.  I'll be 55 soon, so things are a changin.....But....concealer.  I've gone to 3 stores looking at concealer.  ALL of them settle into the creases and just makes me look older.  Not what I wanted.  The very helpful makeup artist at the 3rd and final store suggested I just leave them.  She recommended a nice eye cream to soothe the area and just leave the dark circles.  One store used 4 (yikes!!!), yes 4 products (at $20-$30 each) to try and "fix" the problem.  I didn't like the look or feel. 

So, right now, for me for everyday wear....maybe a primer (I'm using FAB primer), CC cream in lieu of foundation, brow pencil, lipstick.  I've switched my skin care lineup so I'm happier with overall appearance of my skin.  For times when I need more, then L'Oreal silicone primer, foundation, mascara, blush.......but very light hand with all of it.

I started using beauty blender spounges and brushes too.  And got a nice haircut. 

• Like 2

Yes, I wear it every day unless I am sick.  I wear it because I like to and I think I look better and feel better with it on. (Dh gets no say in any of these decisions;)  I have blonde lashes and brows and I am fair skinned so I don't look like I have facial features without it. I also color my hair and make no apologies for that either. 

I wear mascara, brow pencil, lipstick/gloss, mineral foundation and sometimes blush. Easy and quick to put it on. I didn't wear foundation until the past few years as I didn't feel the need for it. 

• Like 2

We have spent a fair amount of time in "beauty shops" lately. Oldest dd got a DivaCurl cut last Saturday (it is so cute!!!!). Youngest is 17 and graduating high school so she wanted to learn more about makeup and perhaps update her look. She did a makeover and now has BB cream, foundation, bronzer, blush, setting powder....They were out of the highlighter she wanted. And of course, lipstick. Youngest loves lipstick.

I've decided a bit of CC cream goes a long way. I also use a brow pencil. I'll be 55 soon, so things are a changin.....But....concealer. I've gone to 3 stores looking at concealer. ALL of them settle into the creases and just makes me look older. Not what I wanted. The very helpful makeup artist at the 3rd and final store suggested I just leave them. She recommended a nice eye cream to soothe the area and just leave the dark circles. One store used 4 (yikes!!!), yes 4 products (at $20-$30 each) to try and "fix" the problem. I didn't like the look or feel.

So, right now, for me for everyday wear....maybe a primer (I'm using FAB primer), CC cream in lieu of foundation, brow pencil, lipstick. I've switched my skin care lineup so I'm happier with overall appearance of my skin. For times when I need more, then L'Oreal silicone primer, foundation, mascara, blush.......but very light hand with all of it.

I started using beauty blender spounges and brushes too. And got a nice haircut.

I have to be very careful with under eye concealer. It has to be just right or it looks terrible on me. And I have very dark circles (hereditary) so I don't want to just leave them.

I've tried concealers that work great for my sister and they look TERRIBLE on me.

One thing I know is that I can't use a cream type concealer that comes in a pot or compact, I have to use the kind out of a tube. My sister uses a Mally concealer in a compact and it's great for her, almost as soon as I put it on, it caked and clumped and it was awful.

I also keep all powder away from that area. I've seen so many YouTube videos about "baking" and everyone is baking their concealer. So of course I tried it 😳

No. It looked like cracked mud under my eyes.

I used the Mary Kay concealer (in a tube) for many years and that worked well.

Now I'm using Hard Candy Glamoflauge (walmart), it's in a tube too. I apply it with a concealer brush and use a sponge to dab off the excess to make sure there isn't too much to settle into lines.

HTH

• Like 1

I already answered this thread when it came around a few months ago but I did want to comment on this:

I generally don't pay a lot of attention to my appearance, beyond looking presentable in a fairly non-descript way. I do know that people routinely think I am.younger than I am, which I think is funny given than I certainly feel every year of my age. However, after reading the conversation here recently about anti- aging skin products, I did kind of surreptitiously look at my co-workers who are in the same age range and notice they mostly seem to have more lines and wrinkles than I do and also to wear more makeup. I have no way of knowing which came first. It's possible I'm just lucky.

I've been noticing this for some reason lately.  I was out with one of dd's friends mom's a couple weeks ago and for some reason I noticed how many wrinkles she had around her eyes.  I don't have many wrinkles but I've been noticing them sometimes, mostly the rare occasions when I do put on makeup.   Now, I know she smokes so I figured that had something to do with it, but it also got me noticing other people.   

Way back in the distant past, I do remember reading an article that was talking about how to put on makeup without pulling at your eye so that it wouldn't lead to wrinkles, so maybe there is something to it.  

I think this Spring/Summer I'm going to have to start wearing at least a moisturizer with sunscreen.  Does anyone have any suggestions for something that won't cause break-outs, very light and won't make skin oily, but has a decent sunscreen?  Tinted or not is fine.  Light and easy to apply would be good too.  

I find it interesting how different people have different routines. Like..for me, if I wear only one thing, it's mascara. I almost never wear eye liner. Foundation only if it's a big event. But others here said they only wear eye liner, or only foundation, or whatever. I'm fascinated :)

• Like 1

I find it interesting how different people have different routines. Like..for me, if I wear only one thing, it's mascara. I almost never wear eye liner. Foundation only if it's a big event. But others here said they only wear eye liner, or only foundation, or whatever. I'm fascinated :)

I haven't commented yet, but for my blotchy, acne-prone skin, concealer and BB cream to even everything out and lighten my dark under eye circles are a must. Or at least my minimum when I'm doing something. I used to wear eyeliner everyday, but got out of the habit when the one that was less irritating for my contacts was discontinued. Mascara is a rare extra when I feel like it. I do have very dark, fairly long lashes though.

Before my rosacea became really bad, I didn't wear foundation/concealer daily. My thing was mascara and that's it. Now that my face has exploded with redness and blotchy bumps I have moved to foundation being my daily thing. So, one's skin has a lot to do with it. I am not blessed with a nice complexion. 

The state of my complexion depends on how my autoimmune issues are doing. When things are good, the complexion is good. Anyway, during one good health time I had this lady badgering me to find out my skincare secrets. She didn't believe me that I didn't use anything. I finally just told her to drink lots of water. That is supposed to be good for skin, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So no one has answered my second question. What is cc?

BB cream was originally called Blemish Balm. This product first came out in Asian cosmetics before being co-opted by Western companies. BB was a sort of all-in-one product - tinted moisturizer with sunscreen.

CC and DD cream are just marketing terms coined by Western cosmetics companies to try to differentiate their all-in-one products.

Here is an article that tries to explain the so-called differences in these products.

• Like 1

I have to be very careful with under eye concealer. It has to be just right or it looks terrible on me. And I have very dark circles (hereditary) so I don't want to just leave them.

I've tried concealers that work great for my sister and they look TERRIBLE on me.

One thing I know is that I can't use a cream type concealer that comes in a pot or compact, I have to use the kind out of a tube. My sister uses a Mally concealer in a compact and it's great for her, almost as soon as I put it on, it caked and clumped and it was awful.

I also keep all powder away from that area. I've seen so many YouTube videos about "baking" and everyone is baking their concealer. So of course I tried it 😳

No. It looked like cracked mud under my eyes.

I used the Mary Kay concealer (in a tube) for many years and that worked well.

Now I'm using Hard Candy Glamoflauge (walmart), it's in a tube too. I apply it with a concealer brush and use a sponge to dab off the excess to make sure there isn't too much to settle into lines.

HTH

hmmmmm......I'm going to try the ones you use.  I think my dark circles must be hereditary too, nothing is helping them....

• Like 1

I used to rarely wear makeup, but about a year ago I bought some new products and now i wear it most days.   I use a non-tinted primer to even things out a bit and matte any shine, then concealer around my nose, a bit of eyeshadow, liner, and lipstick.  It takes about 3 minutes and I think I look a lot 'brighter.'  

• Like 1

I already answered this thread when it came around a few months ago but I did want to comment on this:

I've been noticing this for some reason lately. I was out with one of dd's friends mom's a couple weeks ago and for some reason I noticed how many wrinkles she had around her eyes. I don't have many wrinkles but I've been noticing them sometimes, mostly the rare occasions when I do put on makeup. Now, I know she smokes so I figured that had something to do with it, but it also got me noticing other people.

Way back in the distant past, I do remember reading an article that was talking about how to put on makeup without pulling at your eye so that it wouldn't lead to wrinkles, so maybe there is something to it.

I think this Spring/Summer I'm going to have to start wearing at least a moisturizer with sunscreen. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that won't cause break-outs, very light and won't make skin oily, but has a decent sunscreen? Tinted or not is fine. Light and easy to apply would be good too.

I think if I was totally new to the makeup scene, I would go to Sephora. Be very firm about what you want when you speak to the salesperson. But I do recommend a separate sunblock and bb cream or foundation. Sunblock needs to be applied liberally. Most people get a little dab and try to smear sunblock everywhere. Think two peas. That is needed for the face and neck. If you want to do your chest you need even more. A light wash of foundation with sunscreen is not going to give you much protection.

• Like 2

I think if I was totally new to the makeup scene, I would go to Sephora. Be very firm about what you want when you speak to the salesperson. But I do recommend a separate sunblock and bb cream or foundation. Sunblock needs to be applied liberally. Most people get a little dab and try to smear sunblock everywhere. Think two peas. That is needed for the face and neck. If you want to do your chest you need even more. A light wash of foundation with sunscreen is not going to give you much protection.

Very good point about sunblock!

Not every day because my face would get dry. It just can't handle it to well anymore. Usually three times per week. So I'm going to have to be rather vigilant with face cleansing and deep moisturizing from April 4 - 10 because we will be in Huntsville with the rocket team, lots of photo taking. Lots and lots.....