Menu

Vacuum cleaner input needed.

StaceyinLA

So I've had this awesome little Kenmore "Magic Blue" vacuum cleaner for close to 20 years. I love it. It's been shorting out pretty regularly while in use, and it's very frustrating. In addition, I'm sure that means it's on its last leg.

I am not into spending a fortune on a vacuum cleaner. Our downstairs is entirely slate ceramic, but that is what I vacuum the most. Our upstairs is almost a commercial grade type carpet that is old and funky and desperately needs changing, but we mostly use the 2 rooms upstairs for storage right now for my adult kids that are in transitional situations (between houses, building houses, living in a smaller than planned home, etc.) My hope is to eliminate the carpet up there completely at some point, once we are no longer a storage facility.

Can I get some suggestions for a good vacuum cleaner, reasonably priced, that does great on hard surfaces, but CAN do low-pile carpeting? I'm thinking this will need to be a pretty immediate purchase.

• Like 1

I wonder if there's someone who could work in the Kenmore? I had a great Kenmore for 15 years, probably about the same age as yours. It started having problems shorting out, and I got rid of it after a move about 5 years ago. I went through a series of cheapie vacuums (a total waste) then bought a fancy schmancy Dyson. It has been working well for a couple years, but it isn't perfect. It needs to be frequently cleaned out or the brush stops spinning, and when I want it to not spin (bare floors) I cannot get it to stop... I miss that Kenmore, I wish I had held onto it - much better price, and more reliable as far as spin/no spin on the brush.

It seems like there is no real in between like Kenmore any more. Something between cheapie disposable and super expensive.

Edited by wendy not in HI

I got a Dyson upright for $169.00 at the dyson outlet on ebay, and it's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever used. It's extremely lightweight, mobile, and emptying the dust bin is easy and fast. I normally hate upright vacuum cleaners, but this one is actually more maneuverable than a cannister vacuum.

My MIL has a shark and loves it.

• Like 1

I think my dd just bought a shark recently and she definitely loves hers. I tend to be partial to the canister vacs, but I have no idea what will be most similar to what I have.

I was like that too.  Loved my canister vacs but the last one we got broke a major component within 2yrs and we were looking at replacing again. I decided I was tired of them and willing to try something new.

If you don't get a lot of feedback from this thread, I know this question has been asked more than once.  You can do a search and get more information.

• Like 1

I'd look at the panasonic.   I had a kenmore canister that was good - and was made by panasonic.

now I have a miele.  not the electric head because I have mostly hard floors, but i have a 'beater brush' for my area rugs.  (entry and living room)

• Like 1

I can't stand my Dyson. Everything else is heavenly in comparison.

I wish I'd known more about vaccums when 2dd asked me.  she put down on her registry that she wanted the bissell.  My sister-in-law  made a huge show at her bridal shower about how she had to buy the dyson.  (she does that sort stuff. did it to two of her own dds.  smh.)

anyway - I would have shut down the dyson - which I was never comfortable with, but had no experience to back it up.

I have the Shark Navigator Pro Lift-Away and really like it. We have mostly hard floors, so I like that it has special attachment for that. I got ours refurbished from Overstock for a great price. I couldn't even tell it was a refurb. I like the lift-away aspect--makes it easy to clean stairs and ceiling fan blades. The main cons for me are minor--I that I feel the hose isn't long enough and it tips over easily (which is exacerbated by not having a very long hose). I appreciate that it's easy to take apart to empty the canister and clean the filters, hoses, and roller brush as needed.

I had that kenmore! I tied getting another one when it died. WHY did they stop making them? I went through a few cheap vacuums and wasn't happy until I got a Meile. It's the only thing that compares to that kenmore :-(

They didn't. They made a Kenmore Progressive and, initially, it was awesome. That was around 2008-2009 but it was almost Dyson expensive. I bought another in May 2014. That thing was nothing but problems.

Bought a Shark Navigator Pro from Costco and we love it. It's light and SO easy to clean out when you vacuum up something you shouldn't have.

I got a Dyson upright for $169.00 at the dyson outlet on ebay, and it's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever used. It's extremely lightweight, mobile, and emptying the dust bin is easy and fast. I normally hate upright vacuum cleaners, but this one is actually more maneuverable than a cannister vacuum.

My MIL has a shark and loves it.

Me too!  Although mine was $169 from  Woot.  I love it.

I would go to a vacuum and sewing machine store, that also does repairs.  Talk to them about what you have and want. 

I tend to go to a few shops to get a good bit of knowledge before making such a major purchase, but my vacuums have cost $600 so it isn't an every day purchase. 

I had a Riccar for 20 years and just replaced it a couple of years ago.  The engine was going strong still, but a bracket that holds the metal plate to the bottom of the vacuum broke and it wasn't fixable.  I duck taped it and still use it as an upstairs vac.  It will go to one of the kids homes when they move out. LOL  

I was looking at Miele but the bags and filters are very, very expensive.  I went with another Riccar and could not be happier.  It is a wonderful vacuum !

The repair man said to not get a Dyson.  They are the most common item he repairs. 

I use a yellow Dyson at work and it is one of the worst vacuums I have ever used. 

Shark. Costco has a lift away version that converts into a roly-cart canister style. This one:

http://m.costco.com/Shark-Rotator-Powered-Lift-Away-Vacuum-with-Canister-Caddy.product.100231791.html

That looks interesting. Do you know if it's bagless?

We have a Kenmore canister that's only a couple of years old. I wish we had purchased something different. The end of the nozzle at the end of the wand is too big to get under furniture and has poor suction, so it doesn't suck the dog fur or anything else out. We have 2 indoor dogs who shed a lot and it seems like every time we vacuum we need to change the bag. 

That looks interesting. Do you know if it's bagless?

We have a Kenmore canister that's only a couple of years old. I wish we had purchased something different. The end of the nozzle at the end of the wand is too big to get under furniture and has poor suction, so it doesn't suck the dog fur or anything else out. We have 2 indoor dogs who shed a lot and it seems like every time we vacuum we need to change the bag.

Bagless and super easy to dump out the cup each time. It comes apart in 5-6 different way so it's easy to clean clogs. Every time I've thought it was broken or had lost suction I've been able to find a clog or clean a filter and have it working like new. We started buying shark vacuums six years ago and have never needed to repair one. I've bought eight of them--one for each of my grown kids, one for my parents, two for our two story, one for my husband's city apartment, and then a replacement after our fire. I've bought all different price levels, new and refurb and can't tell any difference in the suction, only the bells and whistles.

ETA: For a small one story the regular navigator woks fine. For a larger home, especially one with stairs and different types of flooring (hard and carpet), the liftaway rotator level is my favorite. The one I linked upthread is my favorite I've bought. So flexible and easy to use on carpet and hard floor.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 2

I hated bagless. It fluffed up the dirt so much that I had to empty the cup every time I vacuumed. I ended up with a Meile canister with bags, but I buy the filtrete brand and they're cheap on Amazon. A bag can last a month or two and then it's nice and compacted and not all dusty when I toss it.

• 7 months later...

I have been using a bagless vacuum cleaner for two years but problem is that i have to clean dirt cup after every cleaning. 

One of my friend told me to try a vacuum with bag and gave me this link.

Best vacuum cleaner

Best self-cleaning litter box

Best vacuum for cat hairs

Detail for many vacuum cleaner is available here. I am sharing this link may be this could help you. 

Edited by alastair313

I have had a Riccar for eighteen years now.  At the time I bought it, I was horrified at the price which at the time was $550 ish.  However, I had gone through several sweepers in a short time frame. This thing is a workhorse. We live in a 2800 sq. ft. house with mostly carpet.  I am just now ready to look for a new one.  My mom and brother both have Riccar.  They are the ones who pressured me into getting one.  Theirs are still going strong.  Mine has never been repaired only belts changed and general maintenance.  Next to my Speed Queens, the Riccar is the purchase I am most proud of.

Shark. I had a Kenmore Intellitec before and it was awesome, better than my Dad's Dyson. My Shark blows both out of the water. I've had mine for 3-4 years and haven't had a single issue. I'd but another in a heartbeat.

(My Kenmore lasted less than 5 years and I had a disappointing Hoover in between)

Edited by JudoMom

We have this Shark and have had zero problems with it. We got it at Kohl's when it was on sale, we had a 30% off coupon and got Kohl's cash back to spend the next week. We have a few area rugs in our home - no carpet.

I have had this one for over a year also and I love it. Also their customer service is awesome. I knocked it over and broke a piece off near the canister...I asked to buy that part and they said just that piece wasn't available but they sent me an entire new canister for no charge.

My boss loves Dyson and I have used 3 or 4 of his in various locations and I like them fine but no more than the Shark I have.

• Like 1

I have been using a bagless vacuum cleaner for two years but problem is that i have to clean dirt cup after every cleaning.

One of my friend told me to try a vacuum with bag. Could anyone tell me which one is better?

Price is not an issue.... :laugh:

Don't do it.

:)

• Like 1

One of my friend told me to try a vacuum with bag. Could anyone tell me which one is better?

Price is not an issue.... :laugh:

Bags fill up and you can't really tell. I remember when bagged vacuums were the only kind available and I hated them. Unless they've come up with transparent bags, you will always wonder if you are emptying the thing prematurely and wasting half the bag. So you will let it go too log and the thing will spew nastiness at you when you remove it. Dirt cups are a piece of cake. Dust is gross and there's no getting around needing to empty it, so I'd rather just do it each time and be done with it.

• Like 1

Ok, even though this is a zombie thread, I'm firmly Team Bag. I want to empty every 4-6 weeks, not every ROOM. The bagless fluffs the dirt and it's hard not to inhale it when you toss it in the trash and not every room in my house has a trash can with a bag, so now I'm leaving the room to empty. Nope. I had a bagless once. It took longer to vacuum every time because of the incessant emptying.

I have a Meile. It tells you how full the bag is. When the suction pressure thing hits the halfway point, it's time to change the bag. Also, when you use it often you can tell when you're at full suction and when it's starting to decline, so even without the indicator I'd know when the bag is full. Also, do dust poof when I throw the bag away. I'm gradually replacing carpets with hard floors and I can use this vacuum on any surface.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Ok, even though this is a zombie thread, I'm firmly Team Bag. I want to empty every 4-6 weeks, not every ROOM. The bagless fluffs the dirt and it's hard not to inhale it when you toss it in the trash and not every room in my house has a trash can with a bag, so now I'm leaving the room to empty. Nope. I had a bagless once. It took longer to vacuum every time because of the incessant emptying.

I have a Meile. It tells you how full the bag is. When the suction pressure thing hits the halfway point, it's time to change the bag. Also, when you use it often you can tell when you're at full suction and when it's starting to decline, so even without the indicator I'd know when the bag is full. Also, do dust poof when I throw the bag away. I'm gradually replacing carpets with hard floors and I can use this vacuum on any surface.

Also on Team Bag (Miele).

Undisputed champions of the world!

Bill

• Like 1

We have a Bissel pet hair plus something or other. They have them at our Costco right now, but I already had one. I love the Bissel bagless vacuums. They are inexpensive and lightweight so I can use them on our carpeted stairs. Bags would never work with the amount of hair I vacuum every day. These are easy to empty without making a mess. This is our 3rd in 10 yrs. The 2nd is in the garage and still works. The 1st had a wheel break, but the motor still worked.

Edited by laundrycrisis