Menu

Car question: Subaru vs Honda

MEmama

It's getting time to replace my beloved 1990's era Subaru, and I'm torn between a new (probably 2015) Forester and a 2014 CRV. Both are popular cars where I live and are well suited to the weather conditions. Neither have had significant upgrades since those years, so buying slightly used makes sense for me.

The only place I'm hung up is whether the part time AWD on the Honda will be inferior to standard AWD on the Subaru. I love how my current Subaru handles; it's our go-to snow car and I don't want to give up that confidence.

If you live in a snowy (really snowy) area and you have a car with back up AWD, do you like it? Do you experience noticeable wheel slip before the AWD kicks in, or is it seamless? Any concerns or loves you are willing to share?

The two cars are so similar in every other way; this is really my primary concern.

Thanks!

I had a Subaru Forester and now drive a HondaCRV.

The Subaru was definitely better in the snow. Unless it was a blizzard I felt comfortable driving the Subaru.

The CRV is fine in regular snow. If it was heavy snow and icy I would leave the car parked in driveway. It could handle it but just not as well and I would not feel as confident.

I love love Subaru but the Honda has been a better space fit for us and has been more mechanically reliable.

• Like 2

my friend just moved to snow country - everyone drives a subaru. (I bought her car from her for my son, so she could go buy a Subaru.)

I test drove the honda awd pilot. I hated it.

Did you hate the part time AWD system? Or something unrelated?

The CRV and Forester are essentially identical to me in how they drive on dry pavement.

I had a Subaru Forester and now drive a HondaCRV.

The Subaru was definitely better in the snow. Unless it was a blizzard I felt comfortable driving the Subaru.

The CRV is fine in regular snow. If it was heavy snow and icy I would leave the car parked in driveway. It could handle it but just not as well and I would not feel as confident.

I love love Subaru but the Honda has been a better space fit for us and has been more mechanically reliable.

I'm curious how you define heavy snow. Primarily I only drive on plowed streets; still, there can easily be several inches of snow on the surface but rarely am I out driving before the plows are out. Do you find slippage an issue, and if so, do you have snow tires on your CRV?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really curious about real life experiences and not just what the dealers and car magazines tell me. :)

We've had a Honda CRV, a Honda Odyssey (2 Odyssey's in 12 years), and now have a Subaru Outback. While we loved the Odyssey for the space, both had some mechanical problems. Now that we have the Outback, we love how it handles. The AWD makes a huge difference in the snow. The road to our house is on an incline. Where the Odyssey would slip a bit, the Outback handles it well.

We've had a Honda CRV, a Honda Odyssey (2 Odyssey's in 12 years), and now have a Subaru Outback. While we loved the Odyssey for the space, both had some mechanical problems. Now that we have the Outback, we love how it handles. The AWD makes a huge difference in the snow. The road to our house is on an incline. Where the Odyssey would slip a bit, the Outback handles it well.

Did you Odyssey(s) have AWD/rear wheel assist? Did you use snow tires?

I don't have any experience with Honda, but my mother has a 2015 Forester that I drive regularly. She isn't supposed to drive any more so when I take her shopping or to appointments we sometimes take her car. We get quite a bit of snow here and our road crews are not very good, but the car seems to do well in the snow. I was surprised to find that it does NOT handle well on wet roads though. On several occasions I have found it borderline frightening to drive after/during rain. It could be her tires, though she's had two sets with similar response in the rain. I just wanted to put that out there since rain is something to consider too.

I hope you love whatever vehicle you choose!

• Like 1

Did you hate the part time AWD system? Or something unrelated?

The CRV and Forester are essentially identical to me in how they drive on dry pavement.

I hated how it handled, part of that was the awd.  I have an awd van. (i've driven in snow and ice, handles great.)  it was weird to me when I got it - but t was weird, not hated.  because it was different. I got used to it. I think with the honda - I didn't trust it. 

then the salesman was talking about how it will vary how many cylinders are working (it switches between four and six. doesn't rotate them, so four are worked harder than the other two, so you have uneven wear.), and that was another turn off.

I'm missing my awd van today (in the shop, waiting for a part).  we have snow on the ground.  it's not a lot, but I am on a steep hill, we'll see if I can even get up it in dh's car.  at least it's front wheel drive.  (I've seen 4wd with chains not make it.) 

• Like 2

I don't have any experience with Honda, but my mother has a 2015 Forester that I drive regularly. She isn't supposed to drive any more so when I take her shopping or to appointments we sometimes take her car. We get quite a bit of snow here and our road crews are not very good, but the car seems to do well in the snow. I was surprised to find that it does NOT handle well on wet roads though. On several occasions I have found it borderline frightening to drive after/during rain. It could be her tires, though she's had two sets with similar response in the rain. I just wanted to put that out there since rain is something to consider too.

I hope you love whatever vehicle you choose!

I'd really want to know about the tires.  two sets, but were either set meant for rain?

• Like 1

I know nothing about Subarus other than they have a great reputation for snow.

I know a lot about Hondas. My current one is a 2014 CRV and I puffy heart love it. I rarely drive in snow, but I do regularly take it up a *very* steep, rutted dirt driveway that gets horrendously muddy when it's wet (my brother and SIL's driveway). It handles that with ease and I've never detected any wheel spin or slippage before the AWD kicks in. I previously had a front wheel drive Odyssey with traction assist and I did note some slippage/wheel spin a second or two before that kicked in. My SIL loves my CRV so much she just gave her front wheel drive Lexus SUV to her DD and got herself a CRV (mainly because it handles their driveway so much better than the Lexus).

• Like 1

That's interesting about the Subaru Forester AWD being superior to the Honda CRV AWD!  I hadn't heard that, but will have to consider that next time we're car shopping.

We get lots of snow here, and actually just had a regular ol' van for years.  We finally upgraded (when most of the kids were gone :)) to a Honda CRV AWD and I love it.  Many people here have Honda CRV's.  All I can say is that it works well compared to my van!  When I'm downtown, I can drive straight up the hill in the winter to get back home, and don't have to go around to the highway like I used to simply because it was flatter.

I don't usually drive until after the roads have been plowed, but now and then I find myself in snowy/icy conditions.  I'm a very cautious driver though.

So I can't compare it to a Forester, but now I'm definitely curious!

• Like 1

It's getting time to replace my beloved 1990's era Subaru, and I'm torn between a new (probably 2015) Forester and a 2014 CRV. Both are popular cars where I live and are well suited to the weather conditions. Neither have had significant upgrades since those years, so buying slightly used makes sense for me.

The only place I'm hung up is whether the part time AWD on the Honda will be inferior to standard AWD on the Subaru. I love how my current Subaru handles; it's our go-to snow car and I don't want to give up that confidence.

If you live in a snowy (really snowy) area and you have a car with back up AWD, do you like it? Do you experience noticeable wheel slip before the AWD kicks in, or is it seamless? Any concerns or loves you are willing to share?

The two cars are so similar in every other way; this is really my primary concern.

Thanks!

I've had a CRV, but not a Subaru.  They are great.

Anyway, can someone explain the difference in handling between a 4 wheel drive and and AWD?

• Like 1

Gardenmom, both sets were all-season tires. They weren't specifically for rain, but the tread should have shed water fairly well. My husband has a big Ram 2500, with all-season truck tires, and the Forester felt similar on those wet roads. Just less frightening since you're not so far off the ground.

On a plus side, I know the Forester is a safe vehicle. I have a friend that has been in three accidents in Foresters where they said she should have been killed and she walked away with minor injuries.

All vehicles have their flaws, but a good safety record says a lot in my book.

• Like 2

I'm curious how you define heavy snow. Primarily I only drive on plowed streets; still, there can easily be several inches of snow on the surface but rarely am I out driving before the plows are out. Do you find slippage an issue, and if so, do you have snow tires on your CRV?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really curious about real life experiences and not just what the dealers and car magazines tell me. :)

No snow tires. With my Subaru I would not hesitate to go out during heavy snow and before they had plowed. I don't feel as confident in my CRV. I'm not sliding off the road but definitely feel a difference in how the car performs.

I have driven in snow my entire life and would feel most comfortable driving a tank 😬

Edited by gingersmom
  • Like 1

I have a Subaru Outback.  We don;t usually get heavy snow and haven't since I have lived here.  We get ice more often and do get very slick snow at times.  I live on a steep hill and have a steep driveway.  The Subaru works great.  Also, I have seen that the Subaru also works much better than our Toyota truck with heavy rain.  That is, it is much, much less likely to hydroplane.  Even though I live in an area with little snow usually, I plan to get another Subaru when this one dies, which hopefully won't happen for a long time.

• Like 2

I have a 2015 Forester and I love how it handles the snow. I just drove home last night on icy roads (warmed above freezing during the day and then the temps dropped when the sun set, leaving a nice glaze on the roads). I didn't slip once. I have snow tires for winter. I've driven it in lots of rainstorms and have never had an issue thankfully!

• Like 1

I love my AWD Pilot.

That's a tough choice.

I have a 2015 Forester and I love how it handles the snow. I just drove home last night on icy roads (warmed above freezing during the day and then the temps dropped when the sun set, leaving a nice glaze on the roads). I didn't slip once. I have snow tires for winter. I've driven it in lots of rainstorms and have never had an issue thankfully!

This is my quandary! Lol. I know you both live in the same region as I do, so I'm glad to hear they are both good choices for our conditions. :).

I think I need someone to decide for me. Or, more practical but not as fun, I need to test both in a snowstorm. :ohmy:

• Like 1

This is a very helpful topic right now.  We are looking into purchasing a new to us car in the next 6 months or so.  My husband has a CRV without AWD and it doesn't handle well in slushy snow.  We live in a section of Colorado where it snows but they tend not to plow side streets because it will melt soon anyway.  So, we are thinking about getting a Subaru like every other person in this city (we are the top selling Subaru location in the country).  On the other hand, our CRV is at 175000 miles and is still going strong.  We have not had to do major repairs on it - just stuff like replace brakes and other maintenance because of the amount of miles.  I would hate to give up this fairly maintenance free record we have going.  

• Like 1

That's interesting about the Subaru Forester AWD being superior to the Honda CRV AWD! I hadn't heard that, but will have to consider that next time we're car shopping.

We get lots of snow here, and actually just had a regular ol' van for years. We finally upgraded (when most of the kids were gone :)) to a Honda CRV AWD and I love it. Many people here have Honda CRV's. All I can say is that it works well compared to my van! When I'm downtown, I can drive straight up the hill in the winter to get back home, and don't have to go around to the highway like I used to simply because it was flatter.

I don't usually drive until after the roads have been plowed, but now and then I find myself in snowy/icy conditions. I'm a very cautious driver though.

So I can't compare it to a Forester, but now I'm definitely curious!

Subaru has AWD all the time. On all other manufacturers that offer it, the AWD turns on after the car senses one or both front wheels slipping. So in essence, it's a backup system, not a constant. It's why Subaru is the go to snow country and back country vehicle, because there's never a lag or time to start slipping.

What I don't know is whether that brief moment of slippage is merely spitting hairs between two cars I really like, or if it really is important enough that I should decide on one over the other. I've driven a Subaru for so long and love love love it, but there are other considerations that are making me interested in the CRV as well. I see them in about equal numbers where I live.

Ack! Why is this decision so hard?!

• Like 1

This is a very helpful topic right now. We are looking into purchasing a new to us car in the next 6 months or so. My husband has a CRV without AWD and it doesn't handle well in slushy snow. We live in a section of Colorado where it snows but they tend not to plow side streets because it will melt soon anyway. So, we are thinking about getting a Subaru like every other person in this city (we are the top selling Subaru location in the country). On the other hand, our CRV is at 175000 miles and is still going strong. We have not had to do major repairs on it - just stuff like replace brakes and other maintenance because of the amount of miles. I would hate to give up this fairly maintenance free record we have going.

Honestly, we are in a similar situation on mileage and the lack of serious maintenance on my Subaru. It actually still drives great, but I'm getting tired of wondering what every new squeak means, and I'm thinking it would be good to have newer safety features.

Did you Odyssey(s) have AWD/rear wheel assist? Did you use snow tires?

I don't have an odyssey - but I have an awd van (not made for more than 10 years) that has handled well in  snow and ice conditions.  (dh is experienced in snow/ice, and was very happy with how easy   no rear wheel assist, just very good all-season tires.

Gardenmom, both sets were all-season tires. They weren't specifically for rain, but the tread should have shed water fairly well. My husband has a big Ram 2500, with all-season truck tires, and the Forester felt similar on those wet roads. Just less frightening since you're not so far off the ground.

On a plus side, I know the Forester is a safe vehicle. I have a friend that has been in three accidents in Foresters where they said she should have been killed and she walked away with minor injuries.

All vehicles have their flaws, but a good safety record says a lot in my book.

I live in rain central (not tons at a time, but wet pavement after a period of dry, can still bring oil to the surface making for slick roads - and lots of hills and curves where slippage would be bad.  it can also still puddle with risk of hydroplaning). 

there are all-season tires and there are ALL-SEASON tires.  if the tread should  have handled wet pavement, i'd consider that a flag for the car.

• Like 1

This is my quandary! Lol. I know you both live in the same region as I do, so I'm glad to hear they are both good choices for our conditions. :).

I think I need someone to decide for me. Or, more practical but not as fun, I need to test both in a snowstorm. :ohmy:

Go for a test drive on Monday - looks like there's one coming!

I have these tires and I think I could drive straight up an ice cliff in them.

• Like 2

I don't have any experience with a Subaru, but I have a 2007 Honda Pilot with 200K miles on it and I have not had a single problem with it.  I am planning on eventually replacing this with another Pilot.  It also drives great in snowy conditions, although I have never taken it off-road driving, so can't comment on that.

• Like 1

Go for a test drive on Monday - looks like there's one coming!

I have these tires and I think I could drive straight up an ice cliff in them.

I'm thinking I might! What better way to spend a snow day? Lol. But then at least I would know.

Thanks for the tire rec. I doubt I'll be able to fit my current snow tires on a new car.

• Like 1

I'm thinking I might! What better way to spend a snow day? Lol. But then at least I would know.

Thanks for the tire rec. I doubt I'll be able to fit my current snow tires on a new car.

dh and 2ds have the same  model/year car  - different trims.  (we bought 2d's from a friend). I was looking at getting chains . . . their tires are different sizes.   :toetap05:

• Like 1

I live in the western mountains of Maine. Subarus are the car of choice here (or a giant Ford 150). We have a Subaru Outback and a Honda Accord. The Subaru is hands down better than the Accord (of course the Honda is only front wheel drive) though the Accord does okay if we go really snow and have snowtires (we like the Blizzacks). We drove the Subaru in a blizzard with 8 inches of snow on the road a few years ago and it was a trooper not a slip. I did slip on black ice going around a corner at the speed limit (didn't realize it had iced up) before I got my snow tires on my Subaru. AWD is not the most important component when encountering ice. Good Snow/Winter tires are what make all the difference in icy conditions. Snow tires are often poor at handling wet roads though which is why we tend to wait so long before putting them on (hence the slip) and take them off as soon as possible in the spring.

The Honda is already over 200,000 miles and on track to last longer and have fewer mechanical problems than the Subaru though.

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 2

I live in the western mountains of Maine. Subarus are the car of choice here (or a giant Ford 150). We have a Subaru Outback and a Honda Accord. The Subaru is hands down better than the Accord (of course the Honda is only front wheel drive) though the Accord does okay if we go really snow and have snowtires (we like the Blizzacks). We drove the Subaru in a blizzard with 8 inches of snow on the road a few years ago and it was a trooper not a slip. I did slip on black ice going around a corner at the speed limit (didn't realize it had iced up) before I got my snow tires on my Subaru. AWD is not the most important component when encountering ice. Good Snow/Winter tires are what make all the difference in icy conditions. Snow tires are often poor at handling wet roads though which is why we tend to wait so long before putting them on (hence the slip) and take them off as soon as possible in the spring.

The Honda is already over 200,000 miles and on track to last longer and have fewer mechanical problems than the Subaru though.

Waving hi from the coast! :)

Funny that you don't have your snow tires on for long; mine are usually on by end of October and I often don't remember to get them off until June. :)

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

I use Blizzaks too, they're my favorite for everything but hard pack and deep freeze conditions. They really work best above 15 degrees and with some humidity, otherwise studs become a better choice.

Well, I'm slightly biased. I love, love, love Subarus. In particular, the Outbacks. We're buying our 3rd (for the year!! All our replaced cars were really old and died in close succession) new Subaru Monday -- another Outback, this time for our college girl. 

We live on terrible roads (WV) and our "state road" cul-de-sac is pretty much never plowed (maybe 2x/yr while it is "needed" at least 10x/yr, and even those 2x are usually several days after the snow fall), and our neighborhood is in a "snow belt" as it's higher in elevation than closer to town . . . 

The Subarus ROCK. Love the high clearance, the great suspension, the handling . . . 

FWIW, the Outbacks are a lot nicer than the Foresters, IMHO. Drive both before you take the plunge on a Forester. (The Forester looks cuter on the outside, yes, but they are inferior in every other way, IMHO). 

• Like 2

I bought a new Forester this summer when my Yukon XL with 250,000 miles became a maintenance project instead of a reliable car. I test drove the Crosstrek, Forester, Outback, Rav, CRV, Escape and ended up with a Forester. I put the same studded Hakkapolitas on it AmandaVT uses. In our first half inch of snow, it slid down the road my house is on - something the Yukon never did. The CVT transmission is also annoying - it doesn't shift smoothly at low speeds, and you can't rock it if you get stuck. I should have got the manual transmission.

I did go test drive in the snow. The local Honda dealer would only let me take the one CRV they had put Hakkepolitas on and the Ford dealer wouldn't let me test drive at all. The Subaru dealer let me go without a salesman and look for "virgin snow" (about 5 inches deep) to test it in, with the regular all season tires. I took that as a hint.

The guys at the garage talked me into Blizzaks one year. The rubber is harder than the Hakkepolitas so they grip less but last longer.

Good luck

• Like 1

Snow tires are more important than AWD actually for handling in snow. I think the part time AWD (rear wheel assist) technology is really good, just as good as Subaru in that regard. We have a Subaru and a Sienna AWD. Sienna handles better, probably because it is heavier. Blizzaks are worth every penny if you drive in snow and icy conditions often ( we do all the time, there is no such thing as waiting for the plow here)

• Like 2

I just watched a guy in a Subaru roll his car and then flip end over end. The roof was barely crushed and all the airbags deployed correctly. If I was buying a new car, after what I witnessed in front of me today, I'd buy a Subaru.

Yikes! Thank goodness he was okay. That must have been terrifying to witness.

This is the primary reason I'm replacing my current Forester at this point. It still drives fine, but the safety features of a '98 aren't, of course, what they are on new cars today. Now I'm even more convinced it's the right decision.

• Like 2