Menu

What lego set for 7/8 year old boys if you don't know them?

lynn

My 8-year old DS has requested the Super Hero DC themed sets. My 6- and 11-year olds also want those. They've requested a couple of Star Wars also, but overall definitely the Super Hero ones. I agree with PPs about getting the kids different sets but from the same series so they can play together.

You cannot go wrong with Lego Technic - we always buy it when we don't know the boys personally (as in invited to a birthday party of a colleague's child etc) and it is always a hit. Lego Star Wars is good too if the children like the theme, but, some don't (I know 2 boys who don't like the Star Wars movies or the toys) but they do like Lego Technic. The problem with themed sets is that they cost too much (licensing fee to Disney etc that Lego pays), they come with a few mini figures and lesser number of pieces and the recepients may not be able to get themselves a complete themed set.

Edited by mathnerd

Would you get the same theme for each brother?

I agree, pick a theme - and what kids doesn't love Star Wars? - and get each boy a different Star Wars set. BUT - try and just get sets either from The Force Awakens or Rogue One. Easier for the boys to combine play that way. Also, equal amount of Baddies and Goodies. Maybe a $30 - 40 set per boy and one or two small $ figures.

Or micro machine sets, too. Again, easier for them to play if they all have same movie theme. And I suspect the newer movie themed sets will be more popular this Christmas then the older Star Wars sets from the original movies.

Or a swarm of action figures from Force Awakens or Rogue One.

PS any girls would love these, too - make sure you get the female MAIN characters for whichever film set you choose, not just the dudes/droids(this goes for buying for boys, too. Make sure they get the MAIN female character for whichever film set you get). Ha - remember last year when everyone was looking for Rey yet the toy makers did not have her available since they assumed the males were the main character.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

Id get the big box of plain ones, then they can build different things & change it up.

Then, I'd add on one of the little character specific sets too, or a few packs of mini figures.

I probably would, too. My kids wouldn't care too much for Minecraft, and they don't play as much with their Star Wars Legos as they do other sets. My girls like the Ninjago sets because...well, dragons.

Problem with Star Wars and other themed sets is that you're paying for the minifigs but not getting that all many pieces for the money. In contrast, the Creator or Technic sets for the same prices have a lot more pieces.

My newly 8yo son loves all Lego. He especially likes the Creator 3 in 1 and the Technic, which are often 2 in 1 sets. Technic usually takes a little longer to build and is usually a slightly more complex set but not necessarily. I would include a gift receipt if possible.

Okay, TBH, I would not get the big box of basic ones because chances are high that they may already have some Lego bricks, and there are more shapes and colors and sizes in the more specific sets. Now, if there's a general Technic set or something that would complement the basic set, I'd get that, but unless I knew a child didn't have Lego yet, I would not get the basic building set.

• Like 1

We own the plain set of Legos. I found them for an affordable price on Walmart.com one year. My nephew is a Lego genius or something. Every year he gets Lego sets and assembles them right away. A couple of years ago his wish list included Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. I got him a Hobbit set that year. Last year I got him this: https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Hobbit-Unexpected-Journey-3920/dp/B0081RM5JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478969748&sr=8-1&keywords=Hobbit+lego+game. I don't think he was as excited about that one, but I thought it looked neat because it was a game. I got it when it was like $20. These prices right now on Amazon are nuts. If price was no concern I'd say add LOTR and Harry Potter to your list of themes. I do think Star Wars is going to be one of the biggest hits this year, though.

As for the mini figs, I say buy with caution. I spent like $7 to get Gandolf but my nephew doesn't know that. All he knows is there was no set with it or a very small one. Not much bang for your buck there.

Plug in some sets on camelcamelcamel to track prices and see the norm.

If you want minifigs, the lego education sets are a really good value. https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Fairytale-Minifigures-4598356/dp/B0085Y3GCW

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Community-Minifigures-4598355/dp/B0085Y3MTO

They work well with a big box of just regular bricks :)

Those mini fig sets are really good. I got the second one linked above on an Amazon Daily Deal for $29.99! It was several months ago though.

I didn't read all the replies, but the 3-in-1 creator sets are pretty cool, especially for a kid who maybe doesn't have tons of legos.    My boys have found the minecraft sets to be more "breakable" and to have more pieces that aren't great for rebuilds into other types of sets.  But my boys also love Star Wars and Ninjago sets as well.