Menu

Smelly house...

mommymonster

We live in the Pacific Northwest, and we're in the rainy season. Unfortunately, it means that the house takes on a rather unpleasant overall smell... it's the kids' stinky shoes inside, DH's shoes (he has a lot of them... really likes shoes), the 90 lb wet dog flopping everywhere, having the windows closed, and just that damp, wetness of five days of rain.

I open the windows when it's warm enough, keep up on the cleaning (ish), have eucalyptus wreaths in the bathrooms where the showers are, put out baking soda in bowls, bathe the dog periodically, and try to keep the shoes contained in closets, but... I need to do more. 

I'm pretty sensitive to smells. My sister diffuses "high quality" essential oils, but they tend to give me ferocious headaches. The baking soda just isn't enough. What else can I do to tame the stench?

Our house is like that in the summer when it's so hot and humid, and our house is very old which has its own smells.  A dehumidifier makes a world of difference!  We also have those plug-in scent things in various places.  (Ones that aren't so heavy and therefore adding to bad smells, but just a light fresh smell.)

Also, at one time I got shoe inserts that you put into shoes when you're not wearing them.  They're supposed to absorb the bad smells and keep out the bad aroma!  It helped.

• Like 1

Maybe a more contained shoe option, like a closed box, instead of just a closet. I second the dehumidifier. They can decrease humidity by gallons a day.

If the shoes are wet, before storing for the day/night, try drying them in front of a heater if you use one, or fireplace. If you keep your home very warm, consider making it a little cooler to help with the humidity too.

Maybe candles? They don't have to be scented, just the flame burns off some smelly molecules.

• Like 1

Would a hair dryer do the same thing ?

It's not about the fastest way. A hair dryer gets much hotter than these which breaks down shoes. Also, the length of time to use a hair dryer for shoes for a family is unrealiastic. I had one for DH work boots when he worked at Weyerhaeuser. Life and nose saver.

We just left the PNW this year, but lived there for most of our lives. I know exactly what you mean. It can get soooo funky in the fall. It's often a sign of poor ventilation in the house.

Other than what you're doing, what kind of heat do you have? If it's forced air, we had to change the filters much more often because the air would dampen them and make them less effective. Also, I noticed it was worse when we had carpet. Baking Soda the carpet and vacuum. Hard floors made the smell go away, but not exactly a quick fix. One issue: is the vapor barrier in the attic and crawl space intact?

If it is a whole house ventilation issue, crack the windows a little for about 10 minutes. fresh air would help clear the stank. At least turn on all the external vent fans at one time. Bathroom fans, kitchen, etc. and crack one window to help cycle the air.

• Like 5

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm thinking this is going to require a lot of little steps to improve this situation! 

Our house is like that in the summer when it's so hot and humid, and our house is very old which has its own smells.  A dehumidifier makes a world of difference!  We also have those plug-in scent things in various places.  (Ones that aren't so heavy and therefore adding to bad smells, but just a light fresh smell.)

Also, at one time I got shoe inserts that you put into shoes when you're not wearing them.  They're supposed to absorb the bad smells and keep out the bad aroma!  It helped.

J-rap, can you recommend shoe inserts? Is that a Dr. Scholl's thing? I didn't know such a product exists! 

What about a stand alone dehumidifier?

Can you recommend a brand/place to start researching these? Amazon has a dizzying array of options! :-) 

A dehumidifier, or at least DampRid in closed areas like closets.  Also, maybe look into something like a spider plant?  They're good at refreshing the air in the house so it smells better.

I have a good number of plants in the house -- mostly philodendrons and African violets. Do those help? 

A dehumidifier, or at least DampRid in closed areas like closets.  Also, maybe look into something like a spider plant?  They're good at refreshing the air in the house so it smells better.

I discovered that the dollar store sells its own version of DampRid with carbon. They work great!

Edited by Sassenach
  • Like 2

I have a good number of plants in the house -- mostly philodendrons and African violets. Do those help? 

I don't know.  I have issues with heavy scents, but my doc suggested a spider plant (mostly, I think, because it would be hard for me to kill) as a way to keep the air fresh.  I would think any plant would do it..right?

• Like 1

We bought a cheap dehumidifier (less than $200) at Walmart in 2006 and it lasted for 10 years of near constant use in the summer.

Unless you want to manually empty it multiple times power day, you need a floor drain for it. We had ours in the basement

Be sure to buy one with a humidistat.

Something like this: Frigidaire FAD504DWD Energy Star 50-pint Dehumidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU7GYXA/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_wm-aybPG5Z0MM

Or this: Honeywell 70-Pint Energy Star Portable Dehumidifier, DH70W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QUWPF6G/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_Jo-aybP79Z5FW

• Like 3

It's not about the fastest way. A hair dryer gets much hotter than these which breaks down shoes. Also, the length of time to use a hair dryer for shoes for a family is unrealiastic. I had one for DH work boots when he worked at Weyerhaeuser. Life and nose saver.

We just left the PNW this year, but lived there for most of our lives. I know exactly what you mean. It can get soooo funky in the fall. It's often a sign of poor ventilation in the house.

Other than what you're doing, what kind of heat do you have? If it's forced air, we had to change the filters much more often because the air would dampen them and make them less effective. Also, I noticed it was worse when we had carpet. Baking Soda the carpet and vacuum. Hard floors made the smell go away, but not exactly a quick fix. One issue: is the vapor barrier in the attic and crawl space intact?

If it is a whole house ventilation issue, crack the windows a little for about 10 minutes. fresh air would help clear the stank. At least turn on all the external vent fans at one time. Bathroom fans, kitchen, etc. and crack one window to help cycle the air.

I worked there, as well! And yes, the work boots are terrifying. 

I'm a bit surprised as to how poorly the house smells, given that the boys are always leaving doors open.  :huh:

We have forced air heat, and we use electrostatic filters. We just cleaned them, and they are drying in the bath tub as I type. Hopefully those will help. 

Leaving the bathroom fans on is a good idea, and I'm on that!

we are in the PNW.  We have a dehumidifier in the garage.  It gets too dry in the house to add another one.  I have found Walmart sells this double pack of round things that have a slight scent, but basically absorb the odors.  Our basement obviously had a wet dog in it prior to us living there.  And sometimes the laundry area gets funky.  These thing absorb the smell very well.  I just put one in my teen boy's room and WHOA, total difference. 

I agree with the plants.  And ventilating when possible.  Fans run during showers.  Or crack window.  

• Like 1

I've lived here my whole life, and never had what you describe.   

is  there a moisture problem in your house?  mold?  adequate vapor barrier? insulation?  heat?

do you have a mud room for shoes and socks?  could you make them keep shoes in the garage?  how about a bin for wet socks?  towel by the door for dog - gets dried off every time he comes in - especially on wet days.

we are in the PNW.  We have a dehumidifier in the garage.  It gets too dry in the house to add another one.  I have found Walmart sells this double pack of round things that have a slight scent, but basically absorb the odors.  Our basement obviously had a wet dog in it prior to us living there.  And sometimes the laundry area gets funky.  These thing absorb the smell very well.  I just put one in my teen boy's room and WHOA, total difference. 

I agree with the plants.  And ventilating when possible.  Fans run during showers.  Or crack window.  

tell me more . . . . that kid sweats up a storm.

• Like 6

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm thinking this is going to require a lot of little steps to improve this situation! 

J-rap, can you recommend shoe inserts? Is that a Dr. Scholl's thing? I didn't know such a product exists! 

I used cedar sachet bags.  I can't remember the exact brand, but they were like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Essence-Aromatic-Sachet-Fresheners/dp/B00Q05AT28/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1476657586&sr=1-8&keywords=cedar+sachet+bags+for+shoes

Can you recommend a brand/place to start researching these? Amazon has a dizzying array of options! :-) 

For shoe de-stinkers you can make some.  Take old-but-intact socks (or buy cheap tube socks if you don't want to sacrifice any of the ones people are wearing), fill them with baking soda, and tie off the ends with string or a rubber band.  Slip one into each shoe.  This helped quite a bit when my eldest had a spell of really stinky feet.

Also make sure everyone is cycling their shoes, letting each pair have a day or two off between wearings.  This really does help keep the build-up of sweat-stink down.

Sunlight does disinfect a bit.  When you can, place things in sunbeams or out in the yard in the sun (when you have good weather) and let them air out there.  Open the window coverings and let the sun shine in, too, to help with floors and walls.

tell me more . . . . that kid sweats up a storm.

Once I open it(pull top off) it doesn't have a name on it.  I find them on the cleaning aisle at Walmart.  Bottom shelf near cleaner bottles.  It's a strong citrus scent when you open it, but I don't notice it beyond a day.  It seriously takes the funk out of the air.  My son's room is way better.  No more shoe smell.  No more dirty sweat smell.  I won't buy any more for another month or two.  They last for MONTHS.  But when I do I will try to remember to catch the name.  

• Like 1

Once I open it(pull top off) it doesn't have a name on it. I find them on the cleaning aisle at Walmart. Bottom shelf near cleaner bottles. It's a strong citrus scent when you open it, but I don't notice it beyond a day. It seriously takes the funk out of the air. My son's room is way better. No more shoe smell. No more dirty sweat smell. I won't buy any more for another month or two. They last for MONTHS. But when I do I will try to remember to catch the name.

Is this maybe it? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Beaumont-Citrus-Ii-Solid-Air-Freshner-Solid-350-8-Oz-Natural-Lemon-60-Day-BMT636471430/45591912

Or this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trewax-616471279-8-Oz-Citrus-Magic-Fresh-Citrus-Scented-Air-Freshener/21784175?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=21784175&placement_id=irs-302-m3&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=9b2649fc-2151-45a7-abbc-4b1d6ab43718&customer_id_enc&config_id=302&parent_item_id=45591912&parent_anchor_item_id=45591912&guid=3c52e234-f0d6-4a7c-a3eb-40253a5c024d&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 2

We use a dehumidifier in our basement and have gone through several models over the years. Because they all fail eventually (some after a year or less) I now spend less time reading reviews and just go with a good warranty. Based on our experience, dehumidifiers are one of the few appliances where I'll buy an extended warranty. We've bought from Sears and Lowe's for their warranties. The Costco suggestion sounds good too.

Dehumidifiers do need to have filters cleaned periodically, and I usually vacuum and wipe down the whole thing while I'm at it (including whatever I can get to inside). They gather dust and can get moldy as a result, since dust + moisture = mold, but if you keep it clean that won't be a problem.

You can get a cheap device (whose name escapes me!) at the hardware store to tell you the humidity in the room. We try to keep it at or a bit under 50% humidity to prevent basement smell and mold. 

I think you'll see a huge difference with a dehumidifier. If you can set it up with a hose draining into a floor drain, that's by far the easiest way to go. But if your space doesn't permit that, you can just empty the bucket. 

Amy

• 4 weeks later...

are you towel drying your dog?  I live in the PNW and until last year had 3 large hairy dogs (my newf x died last year).  They have their own towels,  & yes, they also wear coats for long walks because it takes forever to dry them. 

These volcanic deodorizer crystals also help. You recharge them in the summer. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=10175&cat=2,42194,40727&ap=3

We also have stuff like this http://thebadairsponge.com/basement_odor_remover.html

Also use Pure Ayre products. They were originally designed for boats & if you know boats & bilge smell, you'll know how bad that can be. It really works & triggers none of that febreeze / eo headache reactions. http://www.pureayre.com/

Edited by hornblower

have you tried keeping the dog outside?

I can not understand people having dogs inside at all. they stink and shed hairs everywhere. having a wet dog inside would be the absolute pits, I can just imagine how overpowering the stink must be.

:svengo:  You know what? This is really rude. I live in the PNW in the coastal rain forest, I have big hairy dogs & I have a really nice, clean house & my house does not smell, and my dogs do not stink.   

• Like 2

have you tried keeping the dog outside?

I can not understand people having dogs inside at all. they stink and shed hairs everywhere. having a wet dog inside would be the absolute pits, I can just imagine how overpowering the stink must be.

Actually the indoor dogs don't stink even when they go outside to play and run around and come back in. Drying them makes a massive difference. It is outdoor dogs in these wet climates that can really get smelly. Keeping them indoors most of the time and being vigilant about hair helps so much. The outdoor, heavy coated dogs seem to never fully dry out - poor things.