Menu

A lot is two words!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a typo queen. No bout a doubt it. ;) I tend not to proof on boards, although it's a good habit to have. (It just takes so long!)

Someone on another board I frequent has this siggy line: "Every time you use an apostrophe to pluralize, a kitten dies".

So while I am a typo queen myself, that has always cracked me up.

I can't believe in 6 pages nobody has referenced 'your' and 'you're'. I think that's the most common goof I see! Your so nice! Your a real sweetheart. That's the most :willy_nilly: inducing for me.

My grandmother thought an apostrophe meant "more than one of these." Her recipes read:

2 cup's flour

3 cup's milk

2 Tablespoon's butter

And last but not least, how about (conversational) double-izzing? What it is, is, I wanted to do XYZ and...

Ok, I'll play. Lately, I've been noticing speakers say "tuh" instead of "to." This is especially apparent when they pause on that word. It drives me nuts!:D For example:

We need tuh *pause* tuh *pause* tuh think through this whole issue more.

It's interesting that when the same person goes on with their speech and encounters the word "to" without the need to pause, they pronounce it correctly.:)

When someone uses the word "lay" when they really mean "lie," I like to kid them and say "lay what?" Example:

Are you going to go lay down?

Lay what down?

Someone very near and dear to me says "drownded" instead of "drowned." Aaaaaccccckkkk!

I cringe a tad when I hear someone say "Pennsavania" without the distinct "yl" sound in the middle.

I cringe a tad more when I hear someone say "supposably" for "supposedly."

All these errors are relatively minor though. I realize that the way people speak is very much due to their environment and that verbal habits like these are difficult to conquer. Written mistakes, otoh, are a little more difficult to overlook.

Seeing "stationary" for "stationery" causes my muscles to tense up, especially in an office supply catalog. I can understand someone getting that one wrong on a board like this, but in a catalog that actually sells stationery, well, I really think a business ought to know how to spell the product it is selling.

I don't mind typos and grammar gaffs on message boards, but I am somewhat put out when I encounter them in books, news and magazine articles, and other places that are more permanent in nature (signs, advertisements, catalogs, etc.), especially when I'm fairly certain the people who wrote them are getting paid to do so and that they have proofreaders and copy editors on staff who get paid to catch those things and fix them.

I am particularly distressed when I encounter spelling errors and grammar gaffs at commercial homeschool websites. Knowing that anti-homeschooling folks are sitting on the edges of their seats waiting anxiously to have something with which to discredit us, it is rather disheartening to see homeschool businesses offer their wares or services using poor language skills. *sigh*

Oh, and jftr, use "less" when the item being discussed cannot be counted (sand, water, fear) and "fewer" when the item can be counted (marbles, bananas, people). I learned that in my first few years of homeschooling and was relieved to find that there is actually a definitive way to decide which one should be used.:)

Here are two things that really bother me:

When someone uses an apostrophe to make a noun plural (who is it who has something about that in their quote? Too funny! ) For example- I bought pant's at the store ::shudder:: :)

Yeah, I caught this one over the weekend. The restaurant had a special: All you can eat trout, green beans and hush puppy's. I asked dh what part of the hush puppies they were serving? That just drove me CRAZY!!!

:iagree:

The only one that bothers me is judgmental people. There is no "e" in judgmental.

Unless you happen to be a Briton, in which case the 'e' remains. To be honest, I think Ameringlish is a twisted mess (apparently, others agree) which is maddening to teach, but mosty so when you have a learner who does not naturally grasp spelling and grammar rules. Why have Americans found fit to alter our words this way?

Here's a handy gift for those of us with our knickers knotted over this topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medieval Mom

(As for ending a sentence with a proposition... This is a hotly discussed topic among grammarians. Those who adhere to an Germanic-based English grammar claim that ending in a preposition is fine! Those who adhere to Latin-based English grammar rules abhor ending a sentence with a preposition. This is an overgeneralization...)

Well, you'd better be careful about that...alot of men frequent these boards too...

"Alot" bothers me. It was drilled into my brain as a child.

I am a very poor speller and grammarian compared to others on this board, so I am apologizing in advance for my future infractions.

Well, this and "stinkler" is definitely what I get for posting about GRAMMAR at almost two o'clock in the morning. What can I say? I have third trimester pregnancy insomnia!!!:001_wub:

weary vs. wary

Ex: That Scout leader is so dictatorial that I'm weary of allowing my child to participate in her Troop.

babyset vs. babysat (This is one of my darling husband's little quirks.)

Ex: Our daughter babyset for the neighbor's toddler.

then vs. than

Ex: She should know better then to bring up the subject of tea in my presence.

as of yet

could care less

ice tea

No explanation needed.

I notice that my Yankee in-laws (and, by default, my husband ;)), say things like, "I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants." What happened to the IN (or maybe ON)? Or what about, "I waited on line for hours!"? In my [red]neck (grin) of the woods, we say that we waited IN line so long that we nearly peed IN our pants.

Oh, wait! One more -- a question -- has anyone here ever wrangled with reared vs. raised? I had a freshman year English Comp teacher who insisted that cattle are raised, children are reared. So, saying "I was raised by my grandmother." would be incorrect. :001_huh:

I'm far from perfect. I know that for sure. These are just the ones I notice.

I don't have as much of a problem with these types of errors on an internet discussion board (especially if it's just a typo or an abbreviation), but I do have an issue with these IRL, especially when my MIL says them repeatedly in front of my children. The worst culprits IMO, that have been mentioned already, are "lay" instead of "lie" and the disappearance of the adverb. Those not mentioned so far are "have got" and "should of".

LOL! My high school English teacher wouldn't even let us use two words to say it! She always told us that "a lot" was a parcel of land, and she insisted we use "many" or other appropriate words to convey the same idea. It drove us crazy, but we did leave her class knowing that those of us who chose to defy her rules (in other classes) should at least use two words to do so!

But if you had a lot of cats - that is measurable.

How many cats can fit on a lot? Quite a few cats can fit on that parcel of land.

ATTN ALL WTM'ers: Any and all typos, misspellings, improper grammAr, etc by yours truly are apologized for in advance. Because, I'm not about to go back and fix every ding-dang error so someone with their panties in a wad can feel better. Feel free to put me on ignore, send me nasty PMs, etc...but please know ahead of time that I truly do not give a da*m!

Signed,

the happy grammar twister and Queen of Typos

:iagree::iagree:Message board, texting, IMing = INFORMAL language!

Letter to a business or government official = FORMAL language.

If we can't relax and let our hair down here, where can we?! I don't know about the rest of you, but Teacher/Mom is on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week here!!

Never heard this one until we moved to Oklahoma...maybe a regional thing?

"I'm selling this lovely piece of china that was boughten off e-bay several years ago". The use of "boughten" is so prevalent that my dh will absolutely not use the word bought - instead he uses "purchase/purchased".

I live in AR and never hear people say boughten....but isn't that something they said in Farmer Boy?

Those who adhere to an Germanic-based English grammar claim that ending in a preposition is fine!

Ah, but remember what Holmes said: "It is only the German who is so discourteous to his verbs." ("A Scandal in Bohemia")

Oh, wait--you were talking prepositions, not verbs. Sorry.

(Psyche!! I'll take any opportunity, however tangential, to interject Holmes into the discussion. ;))

I do take a medicine that causes a problem with spelling (I don't really understand this but have noticed it to be true) so I check the spelling of words frequently. I think that it also affects other typing skills because since I have started taking it I have also noticed an increase in typos and the letters in words jumbled, or totally incorrect words used such as typing what when I mean want or using homophones. It not that I don't know the difference but that I automatically do this and don't always catch it when proof reading. It is like my brain thinks one thing but I type a totally different thing. If this bothers you I am so sorry. Have pity on me.

As long as I can make out a post well enough to understand what the poster is trying to say, errors don't bother me that much.

Now if I saw you in person and your part wasn't straight or you had hair out of place it would take everything I have not to straighten it for you. I also have a very hard time not picking hair or lint off of people. Think Monk here. I guess we all have our quirks. :tongue_smilie:

I do take a medicine that causes a problem with spelling (I don't really understand this but have noticed it to be true) so I check the spelling of words frequently. I think that it also affects other typing skills because since I have started taking it I have also noticed an increase in typos and the letters in words jumbled, or totally incorrect words used such as typing what when I mean want or using homophones. It not that I don't know the difference but that I automatically do this and don't always catch it when proof reading. It is like my brain thinks one thing but I type a totally different thing. If this bothers you I am so sorry. Have pity on me.

As long as I can make out a post well enough to understand what the poster is trying to say, errors don't bother me that much.

Now if I saw you in person and your part wasn't straight or you had hair out of place it would take everything I have not to straighten it for you. I also have a very hard time not picking hair or lint off of people. Think Monk here. I guess we all have our quirks. :tongue_smilie:

Part?! I'm a curly girl. Don't know nothin' 'bout this "part" thang. (Don't worry, Kids: I won't send you a picture. :D)

I've really relaxed about errors in emails; they just don't bother me much anymore. My DH is really the only one I torment with my obsessive-compulsive correcting. You know that whole sixth Southern vowel whereby the short "i" and the short "e" both sound exactly alike--somewhere in between the two? Like "pin" and "pen" both sound the same, but not like either is supposed to sound? Gah! That makes me crazy. He does that. Even though I can tell from context 90% of the time which one he means, I still hand him a pen when he asks for a pin, and vice versa. It's important to keep things hoppin' after 11 years. ;)

:chillpill: (That's for me.)

A personal pet peeve for me is when people use apostrophes where they shouldn't, such as "pickle's" or "car's". I always think to myself, "The pickle's WHAT?" :D

Ah, yes. I believe Mrs. Mungo's sig has a line in it like, "A kitten dies every time you use an apostrophe to pluralize." :lol:

Ok, I'll play. Lately, I've been noticing speakers say "tuh" instead of "to." This is especially apparent when they pause on that word. It drives me nuts!:D

When I was a kid my mom always got after me for saying "tuh". Like you, I've also lately noticed someone doing this...a prominent politician. :glare:

One that I hear and see used incorrectly is passed/past. And know/no.

Edited by gardening momma

The only reason I keep reading this thread *is because* I am curious about all the mistakes I make that annoy others.

:001_smile:

HTH

So would the correct way to phrase this be...

I only keep reading this thread because I am curious about all the mistakes I make that annoy others.

But, here is a question for everyone. Is it ok to ask, "What are you looking for?". Or should we say, "For what, are you looking?" :confused::D

Sorry if this has already been answered. I don't have time to read the entire thread. Grammar Girl (my favorite podcast) said she searched grammar texts old and new, and there has never been a rule in the English language against ending a sentence with a preposition. BUT if a sentence ends with a preposition, it must have an object in the sentence.

"Where is she at?" is not correct because at has no object.

"What are you looking for?" is correct because the object of for is what.

So would the correct way to phrase this be...

I only keep reading this thread because I am curious about all the mistakes I make that annoy others.

Or, I suppose, you could say it this way: "The only reason I keep reading this thread is I am curious about all the mistakes I make that annoy others." Take out all the extra and you get: The reason is I am curious.

A lot - haha, I noticed that in a post last night.

Some of the others that make me cringe:

~High school is two words. For that matter, some is HOME school.

~separate A....not E, A!

I humbly beg your forgiveness for the misspelling of separate. I know this is one I misspell often. I'm so sorry...

Using:

4. pronouncing "when" as "wen", "what" as "wat", etc. My father was a stinkler on this point. However, it's so commonplace now that I think those of us who pronouce anything with a /hw/ are a dying breed... It doesn't really IRK me, but I do notice it when someone pronounces /hw/ very nicely :)

QUOTE]

We studied this in linguistics class. This is something that changes with dialect--the midwest tends towards "wen", but places on the east coast (and others)say "hwen". Midwesterners tend to say cot and caught the same way--we don't round our lips to get the "au" in caught. There are many other differences.... I learned the hard way; my professor use to ask me to say words for the class and then make fun of my pronunciation.

FWIW,

Jean

This is completely foreign to me. Do y'all mean to tell me that some people say hawen instead of wen? What should be the difference between when and went (other than the 't' at the end?) This is a brand new idea to me!

And rounding my lips for 'caught'? Do you mean that it should be pronounced cote? or cowt?

Teach me! This is fascinating!

A lot - haha, I noticed that in a post last night.

Some of the others that make me cringe:

~High school is two words. For that matter, some is HOME school.

~separate A....not E, A!

I am a proofreader for our state's homeschool association's email newsletter and our style sheet states that, although homeschool is sometimes spelled as two words, our organization will spell it as one. That is the rule I have to follow when I proofread.

Here's a link to someone else's reasoning on why it should be one word:

http://aladyinwaiting.wordpress.com/2007/10/16/home-school-or-homeschool/

The American Heritage Dictionary also lists it as one word.

This is completely foreign to me. Do y'all mean to tell me that some people say hawen instead of wen? What should be the difference between when and went (other than the 't' at the end?) This is a brand new idea to me!

And rounding my lips for 'caught'? Do you mean that it should be pronounced cote? or cowt?

Teach me! This is fascinating!

Not hawen, hwen. There's a small expulsion of air with wh words that is not present with w words.

I think the caught thing is more common in New England. I'm from MD and we say cot and caught the same way.

Yeah, I think that rather than identifying how school is done as in "Home School" the term has taken on an identity of its own therefore becoming "Homeschool". I had just read this thread then opened up an e-mail from HSLDA in which they do not separate the two words:

New Homeschool Family Told to Meet with State Attorney or Else

One of HSLDA’s member families contacted us regarding a letter they received. The letter was an intimidating demand that the family meet with the Stark County State Attorney that following Monday, September 29, to discuss their daughter’s absence from public school—or face truancy charges.

The family had recently legally withdrawn their daughter from public school in order to homeschool her. Instead of accepting the fact she was being homeschooled, however, school officials contacted the truant officer.

Interesting how terms evolve...

Part?! I'm a curly girl. Don't know nothin' 'bout this "part" thang. (Don't worry, Kids: I won't send you a picture. :D)

I've really relaxed about errors in emails; they just don't bother me much anymore. My DH is really the only one I torment with my obsessive-compulsive correcting. You know that whole sixth Southern vowel whereby the short "i" and the short "e" both sound exactly alike--somewhere in between the two? Like "pin" and "pen" both sound the same, but not like either is supposed to sound? Gah! That makes me crazy. He does that. Even though I can tell from context 90% of the time which one he means, I still hand him a pen when he asks for a pin, and vice versa. It's important to keep things hoppin' after 11 years. ;)

:chillpill: (That's for me.)

I have that southern vowel problem. I have to work very hard to pronoun the two distinctly different. :)

Southern vowels! LOL! My youngest went to preschool in Mississippi, and she insisted up and down that her friends name was "Bin". I knew very well it was "Ben", but she would correct me EVERY time.

Sure enough, I met the kid, and he said plain as day his name was "Bin".

:lol:

But seriously, you are all missing my point earlier in this thread. What is this checking for spellcheckers to work with your browsers and what-not? That is not un-panty-wadding behavior, ladies. Just resist this high-falutin' grammEr nonsense, already. Unite behind my typo-laden, over hyphenated too-many-ellipsi (:D) ridden posts. Embrace it. Live it. Be it.

LOL! My high school English teacher wouldn't even let us use two words to say it! She always told us that "a lot" was a parcel of land, and she insisted we use "many" or other appropriate words to convey the same idea. It drove us crazy, but we did leave her class knowing that those of us who chose to defy her rules (in other classes) should at least use two words to do so!

Kidlovingmama, I think we had the same English teacher!