Menu

S/o Columbus Day

Rachel

Is Columbus Day observed in your area?

On the flights thread people mentioned plane tickets may be high because of Columbus Day weekend. It isn't observed where I live and I have never had it as a paid holiday. In South Dakota, where I grew up it's observed as Native American Day.

This article says it's only observed in 23 states but the research is a couple years old.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/08/working-on-columbus-day-it-depends-on-where-you-live/

It is not a day off for most things in our area.  DH has never had it off from work.  Schools don't have it as a holiday.  But banks and the post office seem to take it off, or at least I think so.  I don't really pay much attention.  I am pretty sure that state and county offices remain open.  When I was a kid it was usually a day to do a cute craft and talk about Columbus, but we had a normal day of school otherwise.  Oh, and growing up my mom like to talk about the big Columbus day storm from when she was a kid.

• Like 1

Is it related to areas with large Italian populations? Like in Chicago Columbus Day is celebrated as a bit of an Italian heritage day and Pulaski Day is for the large Polish population. I think politicians made a bigger deal of them to pander to those constituents. I might be slightly jaded by Chicago politics...

• Like 2

It was not a thing at all when I was a kid.

However, now, almost every school has it off.  Combination of lots of move-ins, as well as school starting earlier and earlier, whcih forces the need for a fall break.  Columbus Day seems to fall in a perfect time for fall break.

• Like 1

In Canada, it is Thanksgiving  :thumbup:

So because we live in the US,  I'll be making Thanksgiving Dinner while my kids are at school and dh is at work!

And then we go to a friend's place for American Thanksgiving.

But to answer your question, not a recognized holiday here in MD - meaning schools are open and most people go to work.

• Like 1

Is it related to areas with large Italian populations? Like in Chicago Columbus Day is celebrated as a bit of an Italian heritage day and Pulaski Day is for the large Polish population. I think politicians made a bigger deal of them to pander to those constituents. I might be slightly jaded by Chicago politics...

The Italian connection makes sense.

I lived in IL for a couple years and remember getting out of school for Polanski Day, none of my friends knew what the day was for but no one minded getting a day out of school.

Edited by Rach

Not really, except the bank maybe? And post office?

Alaska isn't exactly prime for settler celebration for native cultural reasons and the fact that we are SO far removed from the original affected areas, being so far north and 'discovered', let alone settled, so much later in history.

Things like Seward's Day and Alaska Day are much bigger deals up here than Columbus Day.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Schools and I think the library and the like are closed, but almost everyone else still has to work, including my wife. I'm thinking of 'observing' Columbus Day by putting my kids in day camp and taking the day off.

Edited by luuknam

I work for the Navajo Nation. It's the only Federal holiday I don't get off. They have a few of their own holidays that make up for it, though. Like last week, the 14th was Navajo Code Talker Day, observed on Monday the 15th. So I can't complain.

I think it should be turned into Indigenous Peoples Day or First Nations Day or Native American Day or just removed from the calendar. Columbus was not the sort of person we would honor with a holiday in modern society if we stopped to think about it. 

No, not around here. Dh works for a civilian contractor on a military base so he has off because it's a federal holiday. Most everything is open though - banks, schools, libraries, city offices, etc. 

It was a school holiday when I was a kid in school in NJ, as well as in middle and high school in Florida. By the time I was teaching school, it was a student holiday-teacher workday/inservice day. I've been gone from the classroom since ds was born in 1997, so I didn't know if that was still the case. I just looked at the local school calendar and no one has off that day.