Menu

I'm helpless

Night Elf

DH went with youngest dd to her college orientation about 90 minutes away. He won't be home until after 7:00pm tonight. I need to go to the grocery store for a few things. When I was on my street, I realized my tire pressure light was on so I had to turn around to go back home. One of my tires is nearly flat. I can't drive on it because it might go completely flat so I can't even get to the tire place. I do not have the upper body strength to change the tire. DS and I were going to eat out for dinner tonight and now we can't. I'm stuck at home until DH gets home. Rats! I'm just glad it happened when I was near home and not when I was driving on the road. I have no one to call for help.

I have no idea. I've never needed it. The couple of times I've gotten a flat tire, DH comes out to me to fix it. I'll ask him to check our policy.

You can check it. If it's not in your documents at home, it will be available online.

How old is your ds? Can you get it changed together? Then order dessert to celebrate the job done!

And add to your to-do list determining a roadside assistance strategy. My company's number is programmed into my cell phone. I've used it once in the last 9 years, but on that day, it was priceless.

• Like 1

I'd call around to ask if someone can come and do it.  Call any place that does towing.  They usually also do tire changes.  If your tire is that low there might be something wrong with it so you might want to have the spare put on and then get to a repair shop when you can.  Usually you can drive around 50 miles on a spare.  They'll charge you of course for the service, but just for that it shouldn't be too bad.

DS doesn't drive so he's never even watched DH change a tire. I think I generally know but it still makes me nervous. We're okay though because I decided to have pizza delivered so I don't need to go out afterall. And our tire place is not that far away and they fix flats for free because we bought our tires there. DH is going to take the car in the morning.

We don't have a bicycle pump. I haven't owned a bicycle since I was less than 10 years old. We've never lived somewhere where riding bikes is doable so my kids have never learned how to ride a bike. I sort of feel bad about that but oh well. Chances are they'll never need to do it.

My dd18 doesn't drive either. I don't know why my kids hate driving so much but neither of them want to even practice. I'm still the Mom Cab.

• Like 2

It would probably be more difficult to attempt using a bike pump on there than trying to change the tire!

Why? If it is a bike pump that fits car tire valves, you put it on, measure the pressure and just pump. We just recently used ours to check the tire pressure and inflate a low -albeit not flat- tire in a few minutes.

Changing the wheel (nobody actually ever changes the tire) is quite a bit of work and also risky if you don't know where to put the jack etc. I would not recommend that somebody who has never done it just do it.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Why? If it is a bike pump that fits car tire valves, you put it on, measure the pressure and just pump. We just recently used ours to check the tire pressure and inflate a low -albeit not flat- tire in a few minutes.

Changing the wheel (nobody actually ever changes the tire) is quite a bit of work and also risky if you don't know where to put the jack etc. I would not recommend that somebody who has never done it just do it - but maybe this would be a good point for the OP to learn to do it herself.

What kind of bike pump do you have?  Everything I've read about attempting this has said it would take a lot of pumping (like an amount that's not all that doable).

I think she said she has done it in the past.

What kind of bike pump do you have?  Everything I've read about attempting this has said it would take a lot of pumping (like an amount that's not all that doable).

Floor pump, not handheld.

You'd also only need to inflate enough to make it to the nearest tire place, you don't have to inflate all the way to 32.

• Like 4

Oh I've never changed a tire but I've watched my DH do it a couple of times. I just know I can't do it on my own.

FWIW, DH looked at it when he got home and said it was a good thing I didn't drive on it. We'll find out what's wrong with it when he takes it to the tire place to get it fixed.

But thanks for all of the suggestions!

• Like 1

Changing the wheel (nobody actually ever changes the tire) is quite a bit of work and also risky if you don't know where to put the jack etc. I would not recommend that somebody who has never done it just do it.

Ha! I never really thought about that. I guess it harkens back to changing the actual tire, as you do with bikes or motorcycles.

No we don't own an air compressor.

Sorry so late to the conversation.  One of our cars has an air compressor that runs off the cigarette lighter in lieu of a spare tire.  It's actually a rather nice little compressor that I have used on several occasions.  It's a stretch, but it's possible yours does also.  If it does, it should be described in the owner's manual along with instructions on its use.

If you do use roadside assistance through your auto insurance, be aware that they often require that you find the person to assist or tow, pay them up front, and then bring the receipt to your insurance agent for reimbursement. They also might cover only a certain amount of the cost. We locked our keys in the car three hours from home and in a rural area, so it cost us about $100, and a fair amount of effort to find someone in an area we didn't know, and our insurance only covers (well, it was eight years ago, so they might cover more now; IDK) $50 for a lockout. Not a huge deal, but it's something to be aware of. AAA is more expensive, by far, but it might be a better option for you.

(Fwiw, I have never changed a tire either. I don't think I could physically do it.)

I learned to change a flat tire when I was 16. Never had a flat tire until I was 30. By then I had no clue what to do, and dh was with me. Unfortunately, we have had lots of practice recently. My son has had three flat tire since getting a car two years ago. 

Curious question for those who say they could not do it: why? It's not like you have to actually lift the car. Is it that you could not lift the spare out of the trunk?

Normally the tire places put the nuts on so tight (because they do it with a machine), that they are nearly impossible to budge manually with the tool that comes with the spare.

• Like 5

Normally the tire places put the nuts on so tight (because they do it with a machine), that they are nearly impossible to budge manually with the tool that comes with the spare.

I'm sure you're probably not supposed to, but I've had success standing on the wrench to get them off. In a pinch.

Curious question for those who say they could not do it: why? It's not like you have to actually lift the car. Is it that you could not lift the spare out of the trunk?

I don't even have a spare, but no that's not the issue.  I can't get the damn bolts off.

The one time I had a flat (my old car that did have a spare) it was below freezing and snowing so I figured if I couldn't be quick I'd feeze my arse off. 

That's what happened to me.  My dad went through a lot to make sure I knew how to change a tire.  When my first tire went flat, I couldn't get the nuts off.  Oh well!

OP, if I didn't have friends/family in the area to call, I would definitely invest in AAA.  

ETA, those who said to stand on the tool thing, I did try that and it was actually bending instead of working.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 1

I've never tried, but would be nervous that I'd start and not know what I was doing, have trouble with lifting things (is it hard to use a jack? Like how much strength is needed, I don't know. And yes, lifting the actual old/new tires. Maybe you could just roll the old tire somewhere), try to change a tire that actually just needed repaired not replaced and waste a lot of time, etc.

We recently had an issue where our car kept telling us that one tire was really low. Some type of leak. Kept getting low after adding air to it. But dh took it to get looked at and it was fixed rather than replaced if I'm not mistaken.

It's far easier to have dh handle it or call AAA. Maybe if I was actually trained to do it I would take a stab at it, in the right place. But middle of no where? On the side of the road? Even in my own driveway I don't know if I would where I live. Lots of men that loiter around a nearby gas station and stare at us.

Edited by heartlikealion

IMO, changing a tire is an essential life skill that every person – women, teens, everyone, even if they themselves don't drive  â€“ should know how to do, and have done once at home for practice. Sure, in a real-life situation it may be snowing, the nuts might be on too tight, etc., but one should know how to do it.

Jacks weigh only a few pounds, but placed right, they easily lift up the side of the car where the flat is. Obviously you want to be on a level surface and at the side of the road. 

We had a blowout in the desert of Arizona, miles from anywhere, 110º, no cell-phone signal, very little traffic. Putting the spare tire on allowed us to limp (at 50 mph) to the closest desert town.

ETA: Plus, it is very empowering to know how to change a tire. Girl Power! :)

And you can be sure that after that desert blowout, I made sure all of our cars had flares and that the owner's manual was handy. The owner's manual tells you how to place the jack, how to access the tools (for example, our jack was wedged into a side compartment in the trunk, and had to be collapsed a little to be removed), etc.

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 5

I've known how to change a tire since I was old enough to walk. My father and brother were shade tree mechanics, and my father made me practice doing some things over and over before I got my license. In addition to knowing how to change a tire I also know how to change the oil and could probably pull off a decent brake job. But realistically I know there's no way I'd be able to break lose lug nuts that have been put on with an air wrench. DH has enough trouble doing it (sometimes he can't) even though we have a much better tool than the uselessly flimsy one that comes with vehicles and he outweighs me by almost 100 pounds. If his 200ish pounds standing on the tool won't budge a lug nut, there's no way my 110 pound self is going to have much success.

When I was living at home my father always insisted that the tire places NOT use an air wrench for that very reason. As an adult I never remembered to do that.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

If the nuts are tight, you can use the weight of the car instead of just the force from your hand (or your own weight by standing on it): put the jack under the wrench and crank it up; the torque from the weight of the car will loosen the nut.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

IMO, changing a tire is an essential life skill that every person – women, teens, everyone, even if they themselves don't drive  â€“ should know how to do, and have done once at home for practice. Sure, in a real-life situation it may be snowing, the nuts might be on too tight, etc., but one should know how to do it.

Jacks weigh only a few pounds, but placed right, they easily lift up the side of the car where the flat is. Obviously you want to be on a level surface and at the side of the road. 

We had a blowout in the desert of Arizona, miles from anywhere, 110º, no cell-phone signal, very little traffic. Putting the spare tire on allowed us to limp (at 50 mph) to the closest desert town.

And you can be sure that after that desert blowout, I made sure all of our cars had flares and that the owner's manual was handy. The owner's manual tells you how to place the jack, how to access the tools (for example, our jack was wedged into a side compartment in the trunk, and had to be collapsed a little to be removed), etc.

I don't agree.  I don't think it is necessary that I know how to do everything.  And I can't emphasis this enough, but, I don't want to.

My car didn't come with a spare and there is no space for one.  If I traveled in areas without a lot of people, yes I think I'd feel better knowing how to deal with stuff like that, but I don't ever do that. 

That said I have learned a few car things along the way that I can manage myself such as changing a battery.  That came in handy a few times. 

• Like 1

If the nuts are tight, you can use the weight of the car instead of just the force from your hand (or your own weight by standing on it): put the jack under the wrench and crank it up; the torque from the weight of the car will loosen the nut.

I"m not an expert, but I think this coulld be dangerous unless one has a much better lug nut tool (and probably a better quality jack, too) than the ones provided in most vehicle

• Like 2

Uh. No. That is very not smart. Do not do that. This is not he zombie apocalypse where we have to risk limbs and he rest of the vehicle for the sake of a tire change.

OP:

AAA roadside assistance is fabulous, cheap and totally worth it. You call the # and pay for membership. When something happens, you call them. They call a guy to come out. Guy changes tire, or jumps the battery, or give $5 of gas or toes to wherever. You go your merry way. No extra charge. No paying anything up front. It's part of the membership.

The reason you can't get the nuts off is bc the majority of tire places use pneumatic drills to bolt everything faster. But it also bolts them way way WAY tighter and it's almost impossible to take them off without those blasted drills or doing more damage to self or vehicle than is worth it. Around here, you have to specificly ask tire places not to use those and some will even charge you extra bc it adds time to the process. And I suspect they just use the drill anyways.

We have AAA roadside for every driver in my household. Worth every penny. Oh and that's the other thing I like. It is not car insurance. It's is for the DRIVER. So if son goes out of town with a friend and they have a trouble on some god forsaken backroad? No problem. He can call AAA. When my dad and I went to lunch and he left his keys in the locked truck? I called AAA to come unlock it. No extra charge. It's all part of membership. Totally worth it.

ETA: Also, always have a spare. There is no way there is no room for it. Even our jalopy matchbox cars have a space underneath the trunk. Otherwise there's usually somewhere else where one can be placed. AAA doesn't keep tires for all cars in stock. But at least they can slap a spare on there so you can drive it to the shop next time.

Edited by Murphy101

I agree we should all know. Just never had this practice scenario and don't feel particularly inclined to go outside and practice removing a tire out of the blue. We don't even have a place in the car to hold a spare. 

That's a very clever idea!  Unfortunately, in many (most?) modern cars, if they even have a jack the jack handle and the wrench are the SAME THING.  In other words, you need to remove the wrench from the lug nut in order to crank the jack.

• Like 2

I can change a tire, and have, but generally the times I've been doing it on the side of the road someone else has stopped to help me. Truckers in particular have stopped multiple times to help me. I love truckers!  I tried to pay them, but they would never take it. 

Nice people are awesome. 

• Like 1

IMO, changing a tire is an essential life skill that every person – women, teens, everyone, even if they themselves don't drive – should know how to do, and have done once at home for practice. Sure, in a real-life situation it may be snowing, the nuts might be on too tight, etc., but one should know how to do it.

I agree! So much so that it's included our kids' list of things they have to do before getting a learner's permit.

1- have a job

2- have money for car insurance

3- complete the insurance company's safe driver course

4- learn and demonstrate how to change a flat tire and jumper cables

• Like 1

We have AAA roadside for every driver in my household. Worth every penny. Oh and that's the other thing I like. It is not car insurance. It's is for the DRIVER. So if son goes out of town with a friend and they have a trouble on some god forsaken backroad? No problem. He can call AAA.

If he has phone service. Which, if it is really a godforsaken back road, he may not.

Even here in the not so wild Midwest, I have been on roads with no cell reception - and out West, we have driven for hours without cell reception and without encountering other vehicles on the road. We have AAA, but out there, it is completely useless.

Uh. No. That is very not smart. Do not do that. This is not he zombie apocalypse where we have to risk limbs and he rest of the vehicle for the sake of a tire change

I do not understand how placing the jack under the wrench would risk either limb or car, if you do it carefully. You don't actually lift up the car.

It may not be zombie apocalypse, but if I am on a back road, the alternative could be walking dozens, or hundreds, of miles to the nearest highway or settlement (still without cell reception) . 

Edited by regentrude