Menu

Snake People...If you were a Ball Python, where would you hide? UPDATE

Ewe Mama

A snake on the loose seeking warmth? Burn the house down. Problem solved.

I'm sure you're joking, but keep in mind that this is a child's pet. There is no emotional difference to a kid like my DD when someone jokes about killing her pet snake than there would be if someone joked about killing a child's pet dog or cat. I can't imagine that it's any different for the OP's son. Jake is a missing pet, and it's scary to have a pet go missing. It doesn't help to have people joke about killing him.

• Like 8

I'm also invested in this story and following along.

I admit I am semi-scared of snakes. I don't mind planned encounters and will hold and pet them, but SurpriseSnakeInTheShowerDrain! would be a bit much.

I hope you find it soon!

• Like 1

I think I would be checking shoes and furniture...any cavity he could adopt as his new hide.

Once I couldn't find my kitten..(it's ok, we didn't have a snake on the loose). He had found a small hole in the cloth bottom of the sofa and climbed up inside for a nap. I only found him because of the little sleeping kitten noises.

• Like 1

Has it turned up yet?

My brother's missing iguana once turned up on my sister's headboard. I was so glad it went in her room and not mine! Another time it got outside the house and then it got cold overnight. It sort of froze (I'm sure there is an actual term for this) and fell out of a tree when my dad walked under it. Scared my dad pretty good, but once it got warmed up it was fine.

• Like 3

Ewe Mama...I am so invested in this outcome. :tongue_smilie: Hoping that your wayward wanderer returns soon!

Ummm...so how big IS Jack anyway? Do you have a pic you could post so that we could all be on the look out? :coolgleamA:

I am assuming that you are practically wearing the chihuahua!! :svengo:

Good luck we are all pulling for you!

I'm laughing over this. No, he hasn't appeared yet. He's about 3 feet long. I think the only pictures I have are from when he is eating. Everything else is video. I'm not tech saavy to try to share a movie.

He is what's known as a "normal" ball python. Black and a couple shades of brown. He has some lovely heart shaped markings in his pattern.

One of us (usually your truly) is always carrying the chihuahua around. I think she still remembers how to walk. ðŸ˜

I will keep you posted!

Edited by Ewe Mama
  • Like 1

Have you tried walking through the house whistling slightly and then calling "here Jack, come here boy"? Maybe while gently slapping your leg?

;)

(Clueless but wanted to contribute)

I hope you find him soon!!

Believe it or not, we have tried that. ☺ï¸

• Like 3

Have you looked up? BPs aren't generally climbers, but someone on my local snake keepers forum found a missing one in a light fixture. They're still not sure quite how he got there.

Also, the last time DD's corn got out, the cats showed us where she was hiding, so maybe the dogs will point him out?

Hoping the little guy turns up safe and sound. I know my Dd would be devestated.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 3

Ewe Mama...It is so easy to arm chair quarterback from afar, however, have you practically moved in to Alvin's room or wherever Jack was formerly housed and last seen before the Big Break Out? Our resident board snake experts seem to feel he might still be close by.  How far away were the trash and the Good Will items?  Is it somewhat improbable that he ventured into that territory?  You have to have hope....right?

Tell Ram Man that his turn for wearing the chihuahua is fast approaching!  Paybacks and all...   :thumbup1:

Is it at all possible to confine the dogs somewhere else and try the mouse in the plexi house idea ?  With five kids underfoot, and dogs, and an AWOL snake...let's just toss in a few live mice right?  The more the merrier...   :closedeyes:

Do you happen to have any extra bedrooms available?  I have a feeling that there are quite a few of us former HSers (with all our kids now in college or beyond) who would love to come help you find Alvin's snake!  

Good luck and keep looking!  :hurray:

Edited by Jenn in FL
  • Like 2

Have you looked up? BPs aren't generally climbers, but someone on my local snake keepers forum found a missing one in a light fixture. They're still not sure quite how he got there.

Also, the last time DD's corn got out, the cats showed us where she was hiding, so maybe the dogs will point him out?

Hoping the little guy turns up safe and sound. I know my Dd would be devestated.

I thought I was doing well by looking on all the upper shelves. Light fixtures? Sigh.

Our dogs are pretty oblivious about Jack. I don't think any of them have given him more than a cursory sniff and promptly walked away. Our dogs are not known for their intelligence. If I told them to find the snake they'd probably bring me a pair of dirty underwear. But at this point, I'll give anything a try.

• Like 3

Ewe Mama...It is so easy to arm chair quarterback from afar, however, have you practically moved in to Alvin's room or wherever Jack was formerly housed and last seen before the Big Break Out? Our resident board snake experts seem to feel he might still be close by. How far away were the trash and the Good Will items? Is it somewhat improbable that he ventured into that territory? You have to have hope....right?

Tell Ram Man that his turn for wearing the chihuahua is fast approaching! Paybacks and all... :thumbup1:

Is it at all possible to confine the dogs somewhere else and try the mouse in the plexi house idea ? With five kids underfoot, and dogs, and an AWOL snake...let's just toss in a few live mice right? The more the merrier... :closedeyes:

Do you happen to have any extra bedrooms available? I have a feeling that there are quite a few of us former HSers (with all our kids now in college or beyond) who would love to come help you find Alvin's snake!

Good luck and keep looking! :hurray:

Thank you for the encouragement, Jenn.

Our house has a fairly open layout in areas and is more closed off in others, so it's kind of tricky to figure out where he could have gone. He actually lives in our dining room right now. He had been in our family room downstairs, but I was concerned it might be too damp and chilly for him, so I brought him up to the only available safe spot I could find.

The dining room opens into the kitchen, which opens into our living room and the schoolroom. I usually keep the schoolroom door shut when we're not in there, but sometimes it gets left open. Our washer and dryer are also in there. On the other side, the dining room opens to a small hallway with the master bedroom, a bathroom, a large closet, and another bedroom. He could conceivably be in any of these rooms, as obstacles are few and far between.

I have a feeling one of my daughters would swoop in and rescue any live mice I might set out. We've already had pet mice. I really don't want any more, but if another week goes by, I may resort to that tactic.

Unfortunately, our house is filled to the brim, so I will have to accept help from afar. Armchair quarterbacks are very much appreciated in this snake search!

• Like 1

It's now July 8th. Still no sign of Jack. I asked Alvin if I could put his habitat away until we find him as I don't want anything to get broken and rendered unusable for when he is found. He gave his permission and we promised each other to keep looking for him every day.

The good news is that I don't smell anything decomposing in the house. When Joy's dragon died suddenly this past winter, she was quite stinky very early on. With the heat we have been having the last few days, a deceased snake would cause a terrible odor.

We are still holding on to our hope. If he is in the house, he is not dead.

• Like 5

If he's still in the house (and he probably is), he's likely curled up somewhere asleep, and may not come out to look for food for weeks. I wouldn't give up hope yet.

One thing you may want to try is, if you get a hot, humid day with a high chance of thunderstorms, turn off the air and open a window or two, and put out a meal for him (in a hot spot, like on a heating pad or under a heat lamp). Stubborn BPs will often feed when it's stormy because it's a safe time to move, and I would imagine that might bring Jake out from where he's hiding.

• Like 3

If he's still in the house (and he probably is), he's likely curled up somewhere asleep, and may not come out to look for food for weeks. I wouldn't give up hope yet.

One thing you may want to try is, if you get a hot, humid day with a high chance of thunderstorms, turn off the air and open a window or two, and put out a meal for him (in a hot spot, like on a heating pad or under a heat lamp). Stubborn BPs will often feed when it's stormy because it's a safe time to move, and I would imagine that might bring Jake out from where he's hiding.

ummmm, open a window but make sure there is a screen?   :closedeyes:    Your neighbors might not be as  :coolgleamA:  as you.  

• Like 2

Have you tried under dressers? Our cat has been found under/behind the bottom drawer before. Like, we found her only bu pulling out all the drawers. I still don't know how this fat cat fit but if she can, I'm sure a ball python can.

Anxiously awaiting to find out where he has gone into hiding.

• Like 2

What about behind the dryer? A small area where he could curl in or something? Under couches...any unknown flaps where he could have sneaked in? I think someone's toddler in this forum found secret flaps to hide his favorite toys one time. I hope Jack is ok, didn't go out in the Goodwill donation (hoping this for your dd, and Goodwill employees), and he doesn't show up in the toilet bowl

• Like 2

On our way home from picking up a little holland lop buck for Faith, we passed by a hatchery. I had a lightbulb moment and came home with nine new chicks for Joy's egg business. We can house them in a bin similar to Jack's cage with a secure lid (which has a partly screened top) . They will be kept in an easy to access location and hopefully he will sense their presence and come looking for a fluffy butt snack.

The girls made me promise that no chicks would actually be consumed in the baiting of this snake. I complied and showed them how secure the whole set-up is.

• Like 10

What if you turn off the air conditioner/turn on the heat? Would higher temps make him more active and more likely to come out and be spotted?

LOL! Our central air hasn't been worth beans the past couple of years. It's one of those things that needs to be looked at, but we keep putting it off since something else usually requires our funds at the time. So a cold house has not been the issue at all. We have had the windows open all spring/summer, when the weather warrants it. This house holds heat and it has not been below 80 degrees inside all week. I think our highest was 87. He has definitely not been cold the past few days!

Thank you for the suggestion, though!

• 1 month later...