Menu

X-posted on High school - Basic "101" cookbook for Home Ec

LuvToRead

I own the Fanny Farmer Cookbook. It's been around since 1896 and has a plethora of information. I have the paperback edition and it's sometimes hard to use. It's like a paperback book. It won't lay open on the counter, so that's annoying. But I like the information it contains. See if you can peruse it at your local bookstore.

• Like 1

After looking at a lot of cookbooks I bought Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything - The Basics for my son when he moved out of the house. In addition to being basic, I wanted something that had a more modern look to it, which the cookbooks I grew up on didn't. You can find a lot of his recipes from various books on The New York Times website.

The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook also gets high ratings for beginners, so you might want to check that out.

• Like 2

Joy of Cooking is good, but you'll have to pick and choose the techniques/recipes to try.

Another approach is to say, what do I like to eat?  And then teach how to cook that and let the techniques fall out of doing that over and over.  I personally think that is a better approach as I believe it's demotivational to spend a lot of time learning techniques only to arrive at a dish that I don't actually want to eat.  

I have been looking for something like this.  What I would really like is a kind of beginnier cooking course, liek a chef would do, but a little simpler.  Even when I was in school actually doing home ec, it seemed like the cooking we did wasn't very logically arranged.

Joy of Cooking is good, but you'll have to pick and choose the techniques/recipes to try.

Another approach is to say, what do I like to eat?  And then teach how to cook that and let the techniques fall out of doing that over and over.  I personally think that is a better approach as I believe it's demotivational to spend a lot of time learning techniques only to arrive at a dish that I don't actually want to eat.  

I do agree with the what do you want to eat approach! Two of my three kids bypass the cookbooks completely. They get an idea of what they want--or look around online--then find an online recipe with good reviews to try. If they need help with techniques, they go to youtube or call mom.  :thumbup1:

The third mostly bakes and mostly uses cookbooks. 

I was going to recommend How to Cokk Everything The Basics or The Food Lab, depending on their interests. How to Cook Everything the Basics also has an app with videos, we haven't tried using it yet though. The Food Lab has a lot of discussion and science and some of the recipes are more involved.

Rachael Ray taught me to cook. :-) I know she's not a chef, but she was a great teacher. Her 30 minute meals show began shortly after I moved into my own apartment and between her show and Alton Brown's Good Eats, they gave me a good working knowledge of cooking and techniques. 

I'd go to the library and sample a few to see what you like before buying.

Used book shops are also replete with good cookbooks! I have a couple favorites that were 25 cents each!

I agree.  I am going to order a bunch through ILL and see what I want to buy.  I have to order everything ILL, with a limit of 10, so that is why I was wanting suggestions.  My library is tiny and they have Joy of Cooking (which I have) and a few other really old cookbooks.  They do get the Taste of Home cookbook every year.  Also, we have no used bookstores local.  There is one about an hour away, but it is so disorganized.  I will probably order something used through Amazon.

In theory, this is a great idea!  It just doesn't work here.  For some reason, my oldest would rather work through a book then take this approach.   I know how to cook, and could teach her, but sometimes it is better if someone else does it!  She is extremely picky, so I am aware she won't want to cook most of the recipes.  I really feel I am looking for the best approach for my oldest.  My youngest, however, loves to look through Pinterest and find new recipes.  

14-15 years ago, I learned to cook using the first edition of How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.  I would use something by him again.  I haven't personally used The Basics, but I don't know how you can wrong with Bittman for a beginning cook.

Bittman's books were helpful for technique, since many recipes listed variations in flavor that allowed repetition in practice while trying new flavors.  I also liked that, compared to Betty Crocker, he called for mostly fresh foods.   The only downside to Bittman was his reliance on fresh herbs, like basil, which was out of my budget as a 19 year old. 

• Like 1

Might be the dumbest question ever, but what is a county extension office?

Our state university has local offices in each country.  Some people call it Home Extension.  This is what our 4-H is through. University of (your state) home extension of something similar.

• Like 1

Ok...so this is the 4-H stuff. 

thanks..

Not just 4-H, they have all kinds of information available on "domestic" topics.  They often have a lot of publications about local gardening stuff, weeds, canning and preserving food, building fences, and so on.  What is really useful is that their information is targeted to your area, and they often have people you can talk to about your particular situation.

• Like 4

Not just 4-H, they have all kinds of information available on "domestic" topics.  They often have a lot of publications about local gardening stuff, weeds, canning and preserving food, building fences, and so on.  What is really useful is that their information is targeted to your area, and they often have people you can talk to about your particular situation.

Yes, it is NOT just 4-H, 4-H is just one of their programs. They have all kinds of information/booklets free just for asking. Lots of knowledgeable folks happy to help you for anything home, garden or farm related. 

• Like 3

Exactly.  

I needed to learn how to use a sewing machine for very simple projects.  The office staff found someone willing to meet me at their office one morning. I brought my sewing machine and she talked me through simple use and care of the machine.  I was given plenty of "home-ec"-style handouts.  Everyone was extremely helpful.  

• Like 3

I like The Southern Living Ultimate Cookbook.  It's the one I cooked out of most as a newlywed, when I was transitioning to cooking more often (not just specials and eating yogurt the rest of the week! ha!), as well as watching the budget.  The recipes are simple and good.  It works through techniques and styles.  Talks about meat in general (2 pages), then a page on beef, a chart on beef cuts, then beef recipes.  Breads, vegetables, desserts, ice cream, eggs and cheese.  Just a great, all around, basic cookbook.

It's an older cookbook, so it's also super cheap.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/ultimate-southern-living-cookbook-oxmoor-house/1004026491/2673176626015?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP3485&k_clickid=3x3485

• Like 2

Exactly.

I needed to learn how to use a sewing machine for very simple projects. The office staff found someone willing to meet me at their office one morning. I brought my sewing machine and she talked me through simple use and care of the machine. I was given plenty of "home-ec"-style handouts. Everyone was extremely helpful.

Our county extension office gave a local hs mom an incubator and they hatched chicks. They gave them a cage with a lamp and everything they needed to care for the chicks when they were little. I hope to do this in a year or 2 with my kids. All she did was ask.

They've also helped a few relatives of mine get started with beekeeping. Its an extremely helpful resource.

• Like 2

Another good book that I actually used with my kids is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Cook-Marion-Cunningham/dp/0375401180

She is rather an older famous foodie who updated the Fannie Farmer cookbook.

Yes! This is one we have and have used a lot, too. I think of it as a book for tweens and younger kids rather than teens, perhaps based on the ages of the kids in the pictures. Not sure what age you're teaching, but it's very good.

• Like 2

Yes! This is one we have and have used a lot, too. I think of it as a book for tweens and younger kids rather than teens, perhaps based on the ages of the kids in the pictures. Not sure what age you're teaching, but it's very good.

I think it's a solid book that can even be used with adults.  We still make her vinegar-tarragon chicken and orzo and peas all the time. :)

• Like 2