Menu

Homemade Christmas Gifts - what are your projects?

I'm starting in on my homemade Christmas gifts. So far I have a fabric beach ball for my baby, a gourd birdhouse for my grandmother, a wonky log cabin table runner. I made a quilt top for my Mom - it's at the quilter's house waiting for me to select a backing fabric.

Oh, and thanks to Tracy in KY, I bought a Knifty Knitter and have started on some scarfs. Let me tell you, I know the basics for a sewing machine, but I have NO skill with knitting or crochet. The Knifty Knitter is so easy and fun! Even my DH was impressed because my hats have turned out so well, and well, let's just say that he's used to laughing at my attempts at crafting.

I'd love to hear your plans. I still have some people that need gifts. What are you making/sewing/crafting?

I am jumping all over the homemade vanilla sugar that was posted. I ordered my beans and they are headed this way!

I am also putting together some sort of "find it" type game for some of our family members. I am filling a jar with birdseed and various items they have to locate in the jar of birdseed. Items like a paper clip, a pom pom, a lego, ect. I'll print off a list of the items in the jar for them to find.

I am also melting down all of our broken crayons and pouring them into different shaped muffin tins and making new ones. I will probably pair it with some sort of sketch pad. My nieces will love it.

ETA: YIPPEEE!!! I just noticed this was my 1,000 post!

Edited by King Alfred Academy
1,000 post!

I am jumping all over the homemade vanilla sugar that was posted. I ordered my beans and they are headed this way!

I am also putting together some sort of "find it" type game for some of our family members. I am filling a jar with birdseed and various items they have to locate in the jar of birdseed. Items like a paper clip, a pom pom, a lego, ect. I'll print off a list of the items in the jar for them to find.

I am also melting down all of our broken crayons and pouring them into different shaped muffin tins and making new ones. I will probably pair it with some sort of sketch pad. My nieces will love it.

ETA: YIPPEEE!!! I just noticed this was my 1,000 post!

Hehe - yeah 1000 post!

That vanilla sugar is PERFECT! I'm going to make some! I had assumed I was too late to start vanilla extract this year, so I skipped the post.

I bought a ton of crayons when they were $0.15 and threw out all the old crayons. Wish I would have saved them now. However, your idea sparked an idea for me - I could make crayon rolls for my nieces.

Hehe - yeah 1000 post!

That vanilla sugar is PERFECT! I'm going to make some! I had assumed I was too late to start vanilla extract this year, so I skipped the post.

I bought a ton of crayons when they were $0.15 and threw out all the old crayons. Wish I would have saved them now. However, your idea sparked an idea for me - I could make crayon rolls for my nieces.

That is so funny...that is what I thought about the extract too and then saw the sugar!

I like the crayon rolls...wish I was a little more crafty with a needle and thread!

Anyone else have some great ideas to share?:confused: Let's inspire each other!

For my parents and in-laws, I found baskets at Good will (about .99 on a 50% off day) I'm going to do homemade, apple butter, pepper jelly, make up some homemade beer bread mixes and include a bottle of beer to make it up. I'll add some crackers and a homemade trivet out of wine corks. I'm not sure what else I'll add, that's probably all the basket will hold.

I'll probably do some homemade caramel corn for my brothers and we draw names for dh's family, the limit is $50-75. Not sure what I'm getting for my SIL & her family, that's whose name we got.

OH, I'm also working on some altered paint cans. We have some from a painting project and I washed them out. Similar to these: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2vd8k/printdesignservices222/id24.html

Kristine

I am making dryer balls http://casasugar.com/1807230 in pretty colors for my mom and sisters. We are all pretty practical and I think they'll be well received. I made a pair for myself and my laundry does actually dry in less time. Yippee!

For my girls I want to make these dollhouses http://www.cookiemag.com/magazine/blogs/nesting/2008/02/diy-dollhouse.html . I was reading a blog and the lady took this idea and made hers out of some sort of thin wood, and added a base. She then covered it with beautiful scrapbooking papers and mod podged it, I think? It turned out soo cute. I like that it is collapsible for easy storage.

I also make soap to give as gifts.

I am buying several yards of Purdue flannel fabric (Hancock fabric carries this) and making jammie pants and bathrobes; dds will help sew these.

And for dds I am making Irish Dance dresses for their 18 inch dolls -- the dresses will match dds' dresses.

Knitting pulse warmers for my mom.

Dh would dearly love handknitted socks. I need to stalk Mom2Legomaniacs to try to absorb some of her sock-knitting mojo -- I am NOT a sock knitter.

Thanks for all the inspiration!

I am making dryer balls http://casasugar.com/1807230 in pretty colors for my mom and sisters. We are all pretty practical and I think they'll be well received. I made a pair for myself and my laundry does actually dry in less time. Yippee!

For my girls I want to make these dollhouses http://www.cookiemag.com/magazine/blogs/nesting/2008/02/diy-dollhouse.html . I was reading a blog and the lady took this idea and made hers out of some sort of thin wood, and added a base. She then covered it with beautiful scrapbooking papers and mod podged it, I think? It turned out soo cute. I like that it is collapsible for easy storage.

I don't think my extended family would appreciate the dryer balls, but I would! I added that to my list. :)

My little girl is too little for Barbie's yet, but your post reminded me of a fabric barn I saw once. I did some googling and found that she also did a tutorial for a dollhouse.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTwinecozy.html

With a bottle of wine in them, of course.

I'm also knitting Carolina blue/white beer cozies for my brother-in-law.

Oooh, my best friend would like those wine cozies. However, I'm still at the beginner knifty knitter phase and I think those might be too advanced for me.

I'm completely inspired here! I think I'll give that Knifty Knitters thing a shot, and if I can figure it out (maybe w/ the help of some local friends who knit, too) I'm going to get some alpaca yarn from a local gal who raises them and sells it. She made baby booties from it and they were softer than cashmere! *sigh* Can you imagine a whole sweater or throw made or such a thing?

A couple things not mentioned yet are candles, which I will probably do some of for gifts. I want to mix in essential oils for fragrance. Another thing that I have made with those oils is homemade bath salts. I've also made boxed sets of homemade cards (stamping/scrapbooking style) and given them as gifts.

I am buying several yards of Purdue flannel fabric (Hancock fabric carries this) and making jammie pants and bathrobes; dds will help sew these.

And for dds I am making Irish Dance dresses for their 18 inch dolls -- the dresses will match dds' dresses.

Knitting pulse warmers for my mom.

Dh would dearly love handknitted socks. I need to stalk Mom2Legomaniacs to try to absorb some of her sock-knitting mojo -- I am NOT a sock knitter.

My kids love it when I make them jammie pants, but I've never used flannel. I've always cheated with this super easy tutorial making jammie pants out of old t-shirts.

You must be quite the seamstress to make matching Irish Dance dresses for your DD's dolls. If your girls are anything like mine is, the matching dresses will be the hit of Christmas.

For my parents and in-laws, I found baskets at Good will (about .99 on a 50% off day) I'm going to do homemade, apple butter, pepper jelly, make up some homemade beer bread mixes and include a bottle of beer to make it up. I'll add some crackers and a homemade trivet out of wine corks. I'm not sure what else I'll add, that's probably all the basket will hold.

I'll probably do some homemade caramel corn for my brothers and we draw names for dh's family, the limit is $50-75. Not sure what I'm getting for my SIL & her family, that's whose name we got.

OH, I'm also working on some altered paint cans. We have some from a painting project and I washed them out. Similar to these: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2vd8k/printdesignservices222/id24.html

Kristine

I'd love a gift basket like what you're putting together. What a fun gift to make and give!

Those paint cans are cute. What do you put in them?

I'm planning on knitted hats, mittens and socks. I thougth I'd check out the knifty knitter too;) cause it's already October and I havne't even started yet!

Homemade vanilla. I canned lots of different kinds of jelly this year, as well as dried apples.

That knifty knitter is perfect for those knitting-challenged, like me. :D

I'm completely inspired here! I think I'll give that Knifty Knitters thing a shot, and if I can figure it out (maybe w/ the help of some local friends who knit, too) I'm going to get some alpaca yarn from a local gal who raises them and sells it. She made baby booties from it and they were softer than cashmere! *sigh* Can you imagine a whole sweater or throw made or such a thing?

A couple things not mentioned yet are candles, which I will probably do some of for gifts. I want to mix in essential oils for fragrance. Another thing that I have made with those oils is homemade bath salts. I've also made boxed sets of homemade cards (stamping/scrapbooking style) and given them as gifts.

Oooh- homemade cards! I'm going to do that with my middle son. I'm thinking thumbprint cards, Ed Emberley style. - I'll help him do the thumbprint and then I'll add some lines to complete a drawing.

I'm :lol: about the alpacas. My DH wants us to move to the country, have a farm, and raise alpacas. One of these days I'll have to make him a scarf from alpaca wool.

I think a few of the kids might want to make the candles or bath salts. How do you do it?

I am sooooo not craftsy!

Sandy

I made fleece blankets for all the cousins and will have their names embroidered (by a professional) on them.

Last year, I made all the cousins matching pajama pants out of our favorite college team's fabric and bought Old Navy tees (for the boys) or tanks (for the girls) to match. These were a big hit.

One MIL is getting dessert plates we will paint at the pottery place. Did this once for my now-92 year old grandmother, and she uses them every day.

I am quilting a flannel baby quilt for a neice due in December.

I wish we lived somewhere colder so scarves would be more welcome--they knit up so quickly.

For an early present for my kids, I'm making Christmas pillow cases. Got this idea from someone on these boards.

SS teachers and the like are getting boxes of peppermint bark and cookies, which I will start on as soon as Sam's gets their 3 lb. blocks of chocolate in.

Terri

For an early present for my kids, I'm making Christmas pillow cases. Got this idea from someone on these boards.

WOW! Perfect for St. Nicholas Day, which we always celebrate.

Also, I'm making the drier balls for myself.

Gah, why didn't we start this thread back in June, when I had more time? My head is about to explode from all the good ideas.

Gah, why didn't we start this thread back in June, when I had more time? My head is about to explode from all the good ideas.

That's my problem every year! Save the links and do what you can. Save the rest for next year. I get so caught up in "I'm going to make this, this, and that" and I end up grumpy throughout the season. My goal is to NOT do that this year.

Everyone has such great ideas! I've marked a couple that I may use here.

Otherwise, I was planning on making soaps with the dc for most of our gifts. I plan on knitting a pair of ankle socks for my mom, but haven't picked out a pattern yet. My bf and my dad I think I will knit steering wheel covers. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTwheelie.html I made one for myself and my bf loved it and expressed interest for her car. I'm planning the cover for her birthday and the pocket for Christmas. I know My dad's van could use a cover since the wheel is peeling.

I'm sure to get more ideas from this thread!

I've so wanted to make this for my dd, but she recently told me she didn't really want it, so I guess I really wanted it for me--it is the prettiest crochet purse I've ever seen--it really looks like a rose, with all the petal lines, and everything, & I don't think it looks hard. I'm afraid to try making it for one of my sisters, because I think I'll keep it, and have to make something for them last minute ;) http://crochetme.com/Feb_Mar_2005/patt_fleuri.html.

And, I have to mention this, because no one else has. When my dd was little, I took a bookshelf (a cheap faux-wood one), attached it to the wall so she couldn't pull it over, and put wallpaper on the shelves to look like flooring, and on the sides, etc, and made each shelf like a floor in a dollhouse. The shelves she couldn't reach held the extra stuff in boxes (shoeboxes fit so well), that I could take out for her--we set up the furniture to be like a dollhouse. She used that thing for years. She got a really nice dollhouse when she was 4, and never used it, because she so preferred this! It was amazing. They now sell things like it for $100 or more, not as large or as nice. BTW, I got the wallpaper from Sherwin Williams--I just asked if they had any sample books they didn't use anymore, and they gave me two!

And, I have to mention this, because no one else has. When my dd was little, I took a bookshelf (a cheap faux-wood one), attached it to the wall so she couldn't pull it over, and put wallpaper on the shelves to look like flooring, and on the sides, etc, and made each shelf like a floor in a dollhouse. The shelves she couldn't reach held the extra stuff in boxes (shoeboxes fit so well), that I could take out for her--we set up the furniture to be like a dollhouse. She used that thing for years. She got a really nice dollhouse when she was 4, and never used it, because she so preferred this! It was amazing. They now sell things like it for $100 or more, not as large or as nice. BTW, I got the wallpaper from Sherwin Williams--I just asked if they had any sample books they didn't use anymore, and they gave me two!

What a FANTASTIC idea! And bookcases are always on freecycle! Oooh, I'm all excited over your idea! I'm going to email my DH at work right now.

What a FANTASTIC idea! And bookcases are always on freecycle! Oooh, I'm all excited over your idea! I'm going to email my DH at work right now.

And, I am nervous mentioning the "B" word, but the best furniture is Barbie furniture--or was. I often found a double pack--you could get two rooms of it for $10-$15--mind you, it was like putting a bike together, a million pieces, but you got a ton, and it was great. I remember the kitchen set had a ton of tiny groceries, etc.

Dollar tree might be good, too--or if your dh is really good, maybe he can make something.

Hope your kids enjoy it--My dd loved it--we even had one shelf where we put in fake grass and used her horses, got a Barbie stable, made a pasture, etc. It was the best. We just took it out recently, and I'm still not sure we should have.;)

And, I am nervous mentioning the "B" word, but the best furniture is Barbie furniture--or was. I often found a double pack--you could get two rooms of it for $10-$15--mind you, it was like putting a bike together, a million pieces, but you got a ton, and it was great. I remember the kitchen set had a ton of tiny groceries, etc.

Dollar tree might be good, too--or if your dh is really good, maybe he can make something.

Hope your kids enjoy it--My dd loved it--we even had one shelf where we put in fake grass and used her horses, got a Barbie stable, made a pasture, etc. It was the best. We just took it out recently, and I'm still not sure we should have.;)

I'm squealing over here. I'm pretty sure this is going to be THE present for my DD this year. And hey, if I get away only spending $15 for her Christmas on "B" furniture, I'm happy as a clam! Thank you!

I made a few prs of these Mary jane slippers last year

http://crochetcurbsidecouture.blogspot.com/2005/01/crochet-mary-jane-slippers.html

and they were a big hit so I'll be making a few more.

I always make a few crocheted scarves too with whatever I have in my stash-my faves are the spiral scarf and the one skein scarf from the Happy Hooker book.

I also make naturally scented soaps with essential oils-these seem to get popular each year so I'll be making a bunch. It makes a nice basket with a crocheted washcloth and a few dried lavender or rose petal sachets.

My SIL sells Stamp'n Up and she's getting me into some card making so hopefully I'll be making some cards too.

This summer I swiped figs from a vacant house on our block and made a bunch of fig preserves. Mom and I made apple butter and gingered pear butter this last weekend. I'm going to make up some biscuit mix and that will be it for all extended family and friends.

Those crayons look like fun for nieces....thanks for that!

I love that dollhouse in cookie! The best thing about it is that you can see Batman in the next room! ;) Adorable!!

Margaret

Soap. Goat Milk Soap. Lots of soap.

Last time I did this, the kids and I also made sheets of recycled paper to wrap the bars of soap in. You can add dried herbs or flower petals to make the paper really pretty. I don't know if we'll have time this year to make the paper too... it's a fun project, though.

And those nifty Gifts in a Jar. They're easy, pretty, inexpensive, and I think they're kind of homey and cozy. These are really good gifts for the kids to make and give to their close friends, too.

We will also "make" our own gift bags. A brown paper lunch sack stamped with colorful designs and tied with a bit of raffia is neat.

If I can get it all done before Thanksgiving, we'll be set!

For those w/ AG dolls I made lots of stuff for my dd for Christmas a couple years ago. I made dd and Kirsten matching gowns. She loved that. I also made a bag to carry 2 dolls like they have at the AG website made out of horse tapesty fabric from clearance for Felicity. I also made 2 matching sleeping bags w/ pillows for Molly and her friend. When she got Kirsten I also made her a quilt and pillow out of a remnant of quilted material for a bed I got at Target.

I always make chocolate baskets. I'm sure this year will not be different--they are always well received (and they are EASY to make). I have directions on my long-forgotten blog

I'll make a pound or 2 of vanilla sugar...

My 6yo is busy weaving pot-holders.

My 15yo has several cross-stitch projects going.

Oldest dd is painting wooden 'treasure' boxes for 6yo and wants to crochet an afgan for 15yo sister.

If we actually had a winter I'd make hats/scarves using my Knifty Knitter (love that thing)

I always make chocolate baskets. I'm sure this year will not be different--they are always well received (and they are EASY to make). I have directions on my long-forgotten blog

Oh YES! I remember your chocolate baskets! That would be perfect for our family gift exchange. Are they difficult to make? Well, I guess if I fail, I'd have to eat all that chocolate by myself, huh? :tongue_smilie:

I'm tablet weaving a belt for my brother, and working on a hook rug for dd. Next in line is a Waldorf style doll for dd when ds is born at the end of January. IF I actually get all that done with time to spare, I'm going to make a small patchwork quilt for my sister. She's a scrapbooker and was telling me last year that the "pros" all advocate using buttons in scrapbooking and she really didn't think it worked, so I said she should use button printed fabric. So I started collecting some while out looking for fabric for an entirely different quilt and probably have enough for a lap rug sized quilt by now. I think Dh is making my dad a medieval bag hat, just for the silliness of it, I think; and some wooden trucks for dd.

It's nice hearing about everyone's kid's Christmas projects.

:)

Rosie

I am making dryer balls http://casasugar.com/1807230 in pretty colors for my mom and sisters. We are all pretty practical and I think they'll be well received. I made a pair for myself and my laundry does actually dry in less time.

Hey, Faline, I made some of these after reading about them here. I went to Goodwill and found a thick wooly sweater. But it was too hard to unravel to get the yarn free, so I just lopped off the arms and rolled those up really tightly, bound them with thick rubber bands, and sent them through the next few loads of laundry.

Then I stuck them into the nylon, and voila, we have achieved dryer ball status!

I don't think mine are gift-giving material, but I'm happy with them. :)

Hey, Faline, I made some of these after reading about them here. I went to Goodwill and found a thick wooly sweater. But it was too hard to unravel to get the yarn free, so I just lopped off the arms and rolled those up really tightly, bound them with thick rubber bands, and sent them through the next few loads of laundry.

Then I stuck them into the nylon, and voila, we have achieved dryer ball status!

I don't think mine are gift-giving material, but I'm happy with them. :)

Homemade dryer balls made with recycled yarn--you go girl! :thumbup1: Glad it worked out for you.

I can't wait to make the water bottle carriers!

Last year I made knitting needles and packaged them with a ball of yarn and an easy dishcloth pattern.

I bought dowels at the hardware store, super cheap.

Cut them down, used a pencil sharpener to make points and sanded them. Then I rubbed them well with beeswax (lots of friction with a cloth really gets it in there)

Then I used sculpy and crafted the cutest tops for them, ducks and birdhouses, really small and they have to be not too heavy. My poor eyes were barely up for the job. (man I wish I had taken photos) Baked the tops as per sculpy directions and then glued the on well.

Presentation was to poke them into the ball of sugar and spice yarn ($1.50 at Walmart) and roll up the pattern and stick it inside too, tie a ribbon on it and hang it on the tree.

Man I'm having Homemade Christmas ADHD! I got the new Mason Dixon knitting book Sunday and I've already cranked out two mitered dish towels. :001_smile:

I also want to get a couple swiftys done and several market bags and the kids sweater and the . . . you see my problem. I've already got a list I'm working through

- mittens from recycled felted wool sweaters

- knitted dish rags

- knitted tribbles

- knitted socks for everyone

- knitted scarves for my boys

- knitted sweater for my one son who like knit stuff

Oh my!

I am making a quilt bedspread (for the first time in my life) for my daughter with all the scraps I have, and if I don't run out of time, throw in a couple of pillows, and curtains to match. This will be her main gift this year, so it has to get done. For dh, maybe I'll make him the pajama pants I promised him last year (I was busy crocheting his scarf and hat, and other stuff).

For the first time, I'm giving gifts to family outside our immediate circle (dh, dd, and I), and won't have to buy a thing. I'm going to finish the crochet scarf I started for my MIL 18 months ago ;). Parents and sisters will be getting a basket with cinnamon pancake mix, strawberry syrup, and something else - all made (or at least mixed) by me :D- except the basket. I might even get fancy and cross-stitch a jar cover, but I wouldn't count on it :lol:. I have enough to do.

I'm planning on knitting a blanket, a hat and a scarf for my FIL this year. He saw the baby blankets I made for my sister's twins and went on and on about how much he'd love to have some hand knit things, so...:)

I'll also be making a scarf for my mom, hats for my sister's babies, and a shawl for my sister.

My kids will each get a set of flannel pajamas and some clothes for their teddy bears.

I'm planning on making up some cookie or muffin mixes for my nephews - they love to cook.

I'd love to make some homemade preserves, but the last batch I tried didn't come out so well, so I may wait until next year and get some more practice in.

Wow! Looking at that list, I should have started last month.

I haven't decided what to make for Christmas gifts yet, but I've found lots of ideas at these websites:

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/minisite/christmas-main/

http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/homemade_christmas_gifts.asp

http://organizedchristmas.com/

Rough Collie, I always wonder, when I see your posts, if I've ever told you how much I appreciate them? I am going to take this opportunity to tell you that I always look forward to reading what you have to say, and how much I love the sites you have here, especially the middle one--I have found a bunch of things I want to do with my dd on that one!

Thank you, as usual! :D

I haven't decided what to make for Christmas gifts yet, but I've found lots of ideas at these websites:

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/minisite/christmas-main/

http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/homemade_christmas_gifts.asp

http://organizedchristmas.com/

bumping again, and thanks for these sites! I love looking at them!