Menu

How much computer time do you allow your children, by age?

Janeway

I feel like my children get too much computer time. But, I wanted to see what everyone else has for limits. And also, if you don't limit. And by age. Thanks! This includes game systems, hand held systems, tablets, smart phones, etc.

Edited by Janeway

On an average weekday, my 4 and 6 year olds get 0 to 30 minutes of screen time, but on weekends they get much more -- between 1.5 and 3 hours a day total screen time.

It sounds like a lot when put that way! I don't limit anymore... sort of... I realized that our schedules don't allow for much screen time to begin with, so it's kind of a useless rule for us.

Edited by tm919

DS10 - two hours max daily for playing with python programming. One hour max daily of playing computer games on laptop/ipad/kindle

He does not have any online classes.

DS11 - he has no interest in screen time and spend at most an hour gaming daily

He has two online AoPS class and one online writing class so he spend a few hours daily on schoolwork (class and homework) online.

We have a TV but it is rarely on except for the evening news.

Dd gets to do one lesson on code.org a few days per week. Her brain is easily overtaken by screens (an echolalia thing) and was only a few months ago that I began to allow this much.

We probably watch a documentary a few times per week on my laptop too.

Mine dont get electronics until school is done. So some days none because they choose to play make believe or knexs or something instead. Other days maybe one episode and they are turning it off themselves.

They are very concerned with working their muscles right now to be healthy. They have dug two big holes in the backyard that are five feet across and four feet deep. The first kept filling with rain so they started the second while they waiting for the first to dry out.

I only connect the wii on weeks off if they remember to ask me. We school four weeks on and one off. They havent had the wii since before christmas.

I want them to self regulate and they do except the wii. Mario can turn into an all day thing and then they are grumpy after.

No limit. Free time is free time.  After school work and chores are done, they can spend their time as they like.   But dd(18)  is taking an EMT class 2/hrs a day, every day and working 3 jobs totaling 30 hours a week.  When she has time to use her computer it is usually for editing pictures of clients she has photographed.  Ds(15)  usually spends 4-5 hours a day involved in activities pursuant to figure skating training. After that plus school and other obligations (he also works 3 days a week for a few hours) , I feel like he deserves to enjoy his down time.

• Like 2

I don't limit as a PP put it- free time is free time.  After school and chores are done, they can use the computers/ipad/tv.  DS uses the computer and ipad for gaming and he is learning code on his own.  DD uses the ipad sometimes as she loves to do arts and crafts.  Both kids are involved in several activities so that limits them on certain days.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere

I limit severely as it leads to better behavior for them. My kids have always been crankier, fought more, more aggressive, less creative free play etc when allowed screen time. My oldest is 19 and when he was around 5 we got rid of all TV/movies for a year. We loved it! But eventually we always get sucked back in and have never made it a year since.

My kids are not allowed on the computer/iPad/TV even daily. I don't have a specific limit when they do get on it though. Sometimes they spend a Saturday afternoon binging on minecraft but it would be the only time all week. It is Thursday night and I am considering bribing them to pick up in exchange for a movie. The last time they watched a show was Saturday. But they are so busy making a lady bug habitat and playing outside that I'm not sure the clean house is worth disturbing that :)

This is for my 10 and unders. My teens have mobile devices and are allowed more freedom with those but they know the second I think it's too much I will confiscate for as long as I feel like so they are pretty balanced with them. We work really hard to model and teach responsible tech use. We just eliminate/limit it for the youngers ones as we like the results.

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 1

Whenever it's reasonable, my kids may ask for a 20 minute session of screen time.

If it is reasonable (to me) I say yes, or I tell them what to get done first. (I don't say yes if there are messes, or belated chores, or if not enough work has happened to make a 'break' at good choice.) On a busy ordinary day, I say yes once or twice. Many days there's not even much opportunity to ask. On weekends I can get towards 1h or more in total. If we are watching something as a family, that doesn't count as 'their' screen time.

Ages 8 and 11 -- but it's been this way for a long time. Basically since they were toddlers, and 20 minutes was the length of a backyardigans episode.

Edited by bolt.

When my older children were elementary age, there was no screen time except for weekends. I liked that think about going back to it.

My younger girls are not really screen oriented. Given the choice, they would prefer to play outside or with their toys. The main time they use screens are when I need quiet. If I'm going to be driving in traffic, I might tell them that I want them to watch a movie in the car. They will say, "Can we draw instead?" So I don't put any limits on them. I don't have to.

I do limit my 17 year old though, mostly because I don't want her at her friends' beck and call 24 hours a day. She can text/skype from 6:00-8:00 pm every day and all day Saturday and Sunday.

I just told her that if she makes As in her college classes, she can have unlimited screens this summer so long as she stays working on math and driving and doesn't start acting grumpy.

In the fall, she will turn 18 so I can't really see continuing to put limits on her, but I did warn her that since she is still living at home and we are paying for her college, if I see it interfering with her studies we will have to reasses.

She was not amused.

For all kids (13, 11, 7) regardless of age:

School time as assigned - no set limit (Kahn, BBC typing, etc.)

Fun time 30 min/day

Educational apps 30 min/day 2-3 per week (depends on attitude during "real" school work)

E-mail/texts may be checked only once/day unless important/urgent information is being exchanged

Skype time depends on who they are calling and what else is happening in the house that day - handled similar to phone calls

No media on Sundays

Edited by Plink

DS is 9.5 and there are no limits and generally never have been (or when I've tried it's never lasted long).  But I've never had to; he is on electronics (videos, games, iPad, etc) a lot, but whenever I suggest that maybe it's time to do something else, he's always compliant.  Also, he's an only child - I really can't expect him to entertain himself for hours each day without screens.

I tried doing limits over the years, but I never could come up with anything that made sense.  So I really don't limit it.  There are certain things that come first (school, etc.), but on their own time it is their time.

:iagree: Pretty much what we do.  

When they were younger they mostly played together and if the TV was on they didn't watch it.  Now if they're not doing school, or playing D&D then they're on their computers most of the time.  DD does a lot of drawing and reading, DS watches table top and news sites, plans future D&D games (he's the DM for a weekly group) or plays with DD and DN online (CSGO, and some RPG's).  I don't limit, they do their work, take care of their responsibilities so I try to treat them like almost adults. It works for us.

My kids are older (20, 16, & 14 for those who can't see signatures)

None of them are limited. I found it impossible to dictate exactly which hours of the day they could use the computer or send and respond to messages. The older two (20yo before she graduated) have their phones out and message friends throughout the day, even their friends in public school! It made th school day more pleasant for them, and they still got their work done. Of it took and hour longer, but the hour's worth of messaging time was broken up rather than constant for an hour after school, it didn't matter to me. The quality of work was actually better with the phones available (actually, for 20yo it was messaging on the OYAN form) and when they needed to concentrate the put the phones away on their own. For them, screen time is more like working at a job where you can chat with customers or coworkers while you work.

The 14yo does better alternating between messaging friends, Pinterest, and school subjects. It's like the screen time is equivalent to the break between classes and chatting I the hallway at school.

For the most part, no unnecessary screen time at all.  The only TV is in our bedroom, so we don't have it as a temptation in the living spaces.

But we will do occasional bonanzas of screen time, when someone is sick or it's been raining for days, etc.  During those times I don't limit at all.

I don't really limit my 16 yo dd. She is pretty busy with school and sports. Her only screen is really her iPhone. Once in a while she will watch TV but not too often. I do feel she spends too much time on her iPhone, though. And if she's spending too much time on it I'll ask her to find something better to do and she's compliant.

I believe 13 yo ds has screen addiction. His time is limited just because he is always losing it by breaking our screen time rules. I once tried an experiment where I didn't limit him. He spent 3 days at his computer with no break except for meals, which were wolfed down, and bathroom breaks. It was utterly frightening to watch. Right now he's not allowed on the computer at all, though he needs it for school and has been caught several times playing when he was supposed to be working. Pretty much at my wit's end with that. He doesn't watch a lot of TV either, mostly Friday and Saturday evening movies.

I don't have a specific limit, but they have to finish other stuff first.  Most days they don't get on the computer; if they do, it's for short time periods like 10-30m.  Unless they are working on a legitimate project on the computer.

My kids are 9.

For computer time they must earn it by doing duolingo. Right now you get 10 minutes for every new lesson you complete. Eldest who is about 65% done his tree also gets 30 minutes every day his tree is gold. You aren't allowed to move on, as in do a new lesson if your tree isn't gold. So if they want they can play lots, but they have to earn the time. Also if you earn the time you get to pick (with in reason) when to use it, when you use it your brother also gets to play computers. 

They also get 4 hours a week that they use when friend is over. We have 3 computers in the same room so they can all play the same game together. Friend is going away to highschool in September so they are with his as much as possible right now. 

7 and 8

For my kids, it is VERY much what they are doing, not how long.  What they are watching, not how often.

We've hit a sweet spot currently. *No doubt* I'll have to revisit it later.

• They get one day to do whatever they want on the computer and tablet (all pre-approved things. They don't need to ask before each individual website or app because they are only allowed a handful from the jump)...they get it all out of their system for the week. This is when the 8 year old works on the programming ideas he jotted down through the week, for example.
  • At first when I instituted the free day they were on from sun up to sun down. But now they get off and do other things of their own accord throughout the day.
  • Once a week (not their free day) they are allowed to visit an online store and make lists of materials needed for some huge imaginary project. They LOVE to do this....and since they end up adding up long lists of prices, I love that they love it :-)
  • Every day they are allowed to watch two episodes of a show from their own netflix list, and they watch a documentary every day. We usually have a family documentary series going in the evenings as well.

Soooo, that said... I would LOVE to have super simple clear limits. That would be nice for me. But this way works extraordinarily well for THEM!

No limits here.  Most days DS6 would much prefer to play outside than have any screen time.  The teens (17/18) have TVs, mini-cable boxes, and video game systems in their rooms.  Schoolwork is done in my sight.  Their desktop is located in the main room, but they all have laptops and tablets.  Until I have a reason to restrict the use, their time is their time.

My older son has several hours a day of actual schoolwork in the computer or his iPad. He is otherwise self regulated on screen time. He does not abuse this. He is almost 13.

My younger son has unlimited access to audible on an old smart phone but otherwise needs limits and in fact suggested limits. He gets computer time Friday-Sunday. 30 minutes on Fridays and 60 minutes on Sat & Sun. I will also let him watch Time Compass or similar on streaming via the Wii here and there.

We have family movie night on Fridays.

We don't have strict limits but have a rough guide of about an hour a day of non-school related screen time. We don't have any gaming systems so the options are somewhat limited. We do have tablets, an iPad, multiple computers, and a TV so they can do it. When the oldest was younger I was more strict about limits. We also didn't get cable until about 5 years ago so the older two were very used to not having TV at all. They are used to doing other stuff. They don't have handheld devices and we don't have it in the car so when we go places they can bring the iPad and share it or they can bring books or art supplies. 

Oldest (12, 7th grade) has the least desire to do screen time for fun. He is a reader in his free time. He needs it more for school or Scouts or other things (listening to piano assigned by his teacher, etc) so he ends up spending more time total. 

Middle (9, 4th grade) likes to play games and watch videos but is a really active kid so will get bored quickly. About an hour is enough for him. 

Daughter (6, 1st grade) is the one who wants to do it the most so I tend to watch her a bit more strictly. I think she just needs to get more into the habit of doing other things in her free time, which she is starting to be better and better about. 

Together we watch movies, have the occasional "TV lunch" where we watch a Food Network show together and have lately gotten really into watching Studio C videos. 

Damn, I wish I would have thought of that.

Omigosh,I can't tell you how HAPPY I am that I instilled this rule! My kids were bickering about their 30 minutes of TV time every day. One wanted to watch this, the other wanted to watch that...I was going insane, even when I insisted they all watch the same thing or split into 2 groups. 

So now, their only TV time is the weekend and life is so much more peaceful! No asking, no whining, and lots and lots of reading and outside time. I can handle it for 2 days a week, but honestly they really only still expect to watch 30 minutes so it doesn't bother me. I am also more apt to give them a little computer or ipad time during the day if I feel like it.

Increasingly, almost none.  I've tried giving time limits, but what I have found is that it seems no matter how much or little they have, they get grumpy and start demanding more and nagging.  So they might get an hour on a weekend, but since we are sometimes busy with other things, they don't always get it. My dd11 probably gets the most because she will sometimes play with her Raspberry Pi.  The other two reply on using my computer so they just have some online games. Ds6 isn't really reading well enough to play a lot of games without someone to help him, so he rarely plays at all.

It all seems much easier if they forget that it's there at all.

9yo, 6yo, and 4yo each gets 30 min of screen time a day with a family movie on Friday nights.  Occasionally they can earn extra time.  Our kids earn points each week instead of an allowance, and there are different things they can choose to spend the points.  Extra screen time is one of those choices.

Screen time includes TV, computer, and our Wii. We don't have tablets, e-readers, or cell phones.  This screen time does not include anything school related.

ETA:  DH installed a script on the computer that gives them a 3 min warning and then automatically logs them off.  Each kid has their own log on which also allows us to limit internet access, download ability, etc.  This really helped when they were taking that "one more minute" to finish something up, but would turn into 15-20 more minutes.  

Edited by cbreeding