Menu

iPad use in schools-good, bad, ugly and tech question

whitestavern

My kids' high school is requiring iPads next year. There will be no books. Personally I'm not thrilled. However, I'd like to hear from anyone that might have experience with this. I know a lot will depend on the teachers and how they decide to incorporate iPad usage in their classrooms.

One of my biggest issues is that I have a son who definitely leans towards technology addiction. I fear he will spend class time playing games and such. The school says internet usage will be permitted on a teacher by teacher basis. So if the students don't need internet connectivity during a class, the teacher can shut off permission to use. But what about apps and games that don't require an internet connection? I know I can limit what's on his iPad, but he's gotten around many restrictions that we have on our home computer, such as operating in stealth mode, etc. We've worked with a technology addiction psychologist in the past but can't afford that at the moment.

The school says every teacher will be able to tell what every student is doing on their iPad at all times, even if they're not connected to the internet. This doesn't even seem possible to me. Anyone have information on the feasibility of this? And even if it's true, are teachers really going to spend class time checking on 20 some odd students? It just doesn't seem like it will work.

Would appreciate input from anyone who has experience. Thanks!

I loathe electronic textbooks with a passion. We don't have iPads, but my son's textbooks are online. The access to the textbooks fails at least 2-3 times per week plus the passwords and logons, different for each textbook, reset often.

One benefit: my son rarely has homework in any class but math, because the textbooks are so bad that work must be completed during class time.

The Algebra teacher requested and distributed physical copies of the text for her students. The access just wasn't reliable enough for daily use.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 5

I despise electronic textbooks. 

They are fine as an extra, for convenience, and they can be great for some workbooks and other interactive exercises, but they don't work as a substitute because:

• Often, they are not written as an electronic version that takes advantage of the medium; they are just printed textbooks in electronic form. 
  • Students don't read them or refer to them. Out of sight, out of mind. 
  • Close reading strategies are practically impossible with electronic textbooks. You can't easily look over the entire book, scan chapter headings and subheadings, flip back and forth. 

Textbooks and other books meant for study can simply not be treated in the same way as books meant for everyday reading. I am sure that we will someday get to the point where close reading is more effective on electronic devices, but I think we are nowhere near that yet. 

If you can track down hard copies of his books on Amazon, even earlier editions, I would definitely do that. 

• Like 8

I despise electronic textbooks. 

They are fine as an extra, for convenience, and they can be great for some workbooks and other interactive exercises, but they don't work as a substitute because:

• Often, they are not written as an electronic version that takes advantage of the medium; they are just printed textbooks in electronic form. 
  • Students don't read them or refer to them. Out of sight, out of mind. 
  • Close reading strategies are practically impossible with electronic textbooks. You can't easily look over the entire book, scan chapter headings and subheadings, flip back and forth. 

Textbooks and other books meant for study can simply not be treated in the same way as books meant for everyday reading. I am sure that we will someday get to the point where close reading is more effective on electronic devices, but I think we are nowhere near that yet. 

If you can track down hard copies of his books on Amazon, even earlier editions, I would definitely do that. 

This.

Parents here will buy a hard copy for their teen to use at home. Usually you can get used or older editions for very cheap on Amazon.

• Like 2

We have some combo of text books and iPad.  This is my son's second year in highschool using this mixed bag.  The history class has a text, and that is the class I would most want one for I guess.  Chem does not but is mostly math anyway.  His english class has a sort of work book and they read novels and excerpts not a textbook so that is fine.  AP will be interesting next year...

I guess my opinion is that a laptop and an eReader would be more useful than an iPad but that is 2 devices.  The iPad is great for his schedule, his power school, the assignment platform they use etc.  

My son's friends had iPad textbooks in high school.  They told him how a lot of kids did social media and played games during class.  Someone had figured out how to get past the web access restrictions and had told his friends who told their friends, etc.  Other's experience may vary.

• Like 1

Our MIDDLE SCHOOL requires each child to have an iPad. (In HS, I'm told they need Chromebooks.)

And yes, (some) kids play on them during class, though they are not allowed to.  I'm told all the kids play games in their devices on the bus to/from school, and our girls are frequently asking to download new games they've seen/heard about.  Homework is done on the iPad too, which drives me crazy at times, because it seems so much easier to just use pencil and paper and not have to constantly be creating text boxes, or whatever.  Online textbook access had some kinks the first couple weeks, and fortunately not since then.  I've heard other parents complain that their kids take forever to do their homework, because they are really playing games until mom approaches and they quickly change screens to homework.  Our school has also sent several special letters out reminding students re proper tech use, esp. social media, and that they may not take or post pictures from school without the subject's permission.  

I'm not a huge fan, and like you, would have concerns, esp given the history.  A mom at school told me they changed their son's browser from Safari to Mobicip, which has better parental controls.

I wasn't happy when my dd's school started requiring iPads when she was in 7th but I am happy now.  She is now at a private high school in 9th that also uses iPads.  She adjusted very easily - she likes to be able to enlarge text.  Some texts also come with audio for listening while reading the text.  It is wonderful not to lug around the absurdly large books.

My ds13s are also at a school that requires devices.  I got them both the Microsoft Surface 3.  Now I kind of wish I had gotten them laptops, but whatever... they work fine.  They have long spent much time on computers outside of school anyway.  For the most part, they are not playing games during school time, except perhaps during study hall if they can get away with it (one of them will rat out the other one to me).

For my boys, the big, giant benefit that cannot be overstated is the ability to type almost everything.  At their STEM school, most assignments are submitted online.  They both have horrible handwriting.  One of them is an organizational nightmare - big time issues, loses everything - and the fact that almost everything is online has saved his rear day after day.  (Seriously, he texted me yesterday that he couldn't find his pencil and what should he do LOL).

All public and private middle schools near me require electronic devices AFAIK.

ETA, as mentioned by PPs, I do prefer to purchase used copies of the electronic books *when I can find them on amazon* (often older editions), mostly for my own edification, to be able to help them when they ask me for help.  However, my kids typically cringe when they see me pull them out because the format is just different for them, even though the text is the same or nearly the same.  To tell you the truth, I don't think it's crucial to buy the paper copies because, for the most part, these are typical public school texts that are... not of high quality, to put it politely as I can.  IMO it is more worthwhile to have high quality texts on hand that might be able to help.

Edited by wapiti

Here all students are issued iPads on the first day of school, at least in middle and high school. They are also issued text books for all classes, though. They have access to online text books if they wish and my dds usually use a mix of both. The iPads aren't just to replace textbooks here as they come loaded with apps they use for school (Khan Academy, Google Docs, etc). We pay book fees here so that may be why they are issued actual text books as well as the iPads and online books.

Some students do play on them and even during class. I don't get the feeling they are monitored at all.

My son's friends had iPad textbooks in high school. They told him how a lot of kids did social media and played games during class. Someone had figured out how to get past the web access restrictions and had told his friends who told their friends, etc. Other's experience may vary.

We had the same experience with the high school a child of mine attended. There was a big initiative to have every student using iPads in every class. Problem was, there were not enough iTextbooks available, very few in fact (in variety not quantity) and parents had to spend money on both technology and traditional curriculum material. There were also problems establishing a wireless network that was reliable and had enough bandwidth for every user. It was very expensive. This was at a private school. The initiative was quietly put aside and funds diverted to a regular technology classroom with the purchase of 3-D printers and things like that. Then all the kids had the iPads their parents had purchased for academics and used them instead for iTunes, streaming movies, binge watching TV shows, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, etc.

On the other hand, a different classical model school in our area that happens to be expensive and excellent, told me (when I visited as a prospective parent for a later child) that they would never introduce iPads into the classroom as a replacement for traditional textbooks and living books. Apparently it had been considered by their Board of Directors and rejected heartily. Also, a number of years back I had reason to pull up the budgets for our local public high schools, and I was shocked by the amount of money in salaries for technical support, much of which seemed dedicated to keep the schools wireless systems and users happy. A number of teachers could've been hired for that cost. I understand that such a cost may be necessary for administration, but the amounts reflected in the budgets I saw were to support the needs of an entire student body utilizing an iPad for only a small portion of actual work.

• Like 2

I don't have a lot of experience but my boys did go to the middle school for band only a few years ago and all the kids had issued iPads, although my boys didn't qualify. They had to submit assignments and such through iPads (luckily we had one) and it was a royal pain fraught with many problems.

Last year my kids did an online school and were issued laptops. Same problems. Everything was just so cumbersome to do and submit etc. I was so happy to finish the year and hand my kids a paper and pen! It was just a hassle all over to deal with tech for school.

In addition, my kids were totally guilty of getting distracted doing all kinds of non school stuff either during live class or during the time they were supposed to be studying. I also have one who leans to tech addiction and I am so grateful we can use it as needed but can use mostly books and paper and pens. It is much much much better for us.

Here is an article that backs up what I saw first hand with my kids. They didn't actually learn the material.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/tunedin/ditch-the-computer-writing-actually-makes-you-smarter/vi-BBrnPB9

• Like 1

Is this a public high school? Who pays for these ipads?

We have book fees here. The iPad with apps is $125 for the year and then we pay for the actual textbooks and workbooks they are issued. I paid just under $1000 for both of my dds this school year. Those who aren't in Honors or AP pay less. Those who qualify for free/reduced lunch pay even less or none at all. But, not many in our district qualify to pay nothing.

We have book fees here. The iPad with apps is $125 for the year and then we pay for the actual textbooks and workbooks they are issued. I paid just under $1000 for both of my dds this school year. Those who aren't in Honors or AP pay less. Those who qualify for free/reduced lunch pay even less or none at all. But, not many in our district qualify to pay nothing.

This is in the US?

I'm rather floored.

Are your taxes low?

It's a parochial school. We pay for the iPads, and we pay for the books that go on the iPads. But of course we don't own the books, nor can we sell them once we're done.

Thanks for the info given so far. It's pretty much what I expected to hear, though I wish there were more positive experiences. I will agree with a PP who said that having everything on one computer is a plus. I do see that as one small potential positive.

• Like 1

We're in the Midwest. Taxes here are more than we paid in Florida but not ridiculous.

They'd never get away with that here, but our taxes are very high so I guess the money comes from somewhere one way or another.

Ouch though.  That is more than I spend in a year on homeschooling my two kids. 

They'd never get away with that here, but our taxes are very high so I guess the money comes from somewhere one way or another.

Ouch though. That is more than I spend in a year on homeschooling my two kids.

Yeah, I've researched and there were lawsuits regarding the book fees but the schools/state won. It seems everyone here has just accepted it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've researched and there were lawsuits regarding the book fees but the schools/state won. It seems everyone here has just accepted it.

Wow.

I do know some districts make parents pay for the bus.  That wouldn't fly here either.  In fact not only does the school district pay for that, they also pay for busing students who are in private schools.  And books.  The private schools are allowed to use the books free of charge for their students.  Basically the deal is that transportation and books are a right that follows the student irregardless of weather or not they attend a private or public school.  They don't extend that to homeschoolers though.  They get around that by not acknowledging that homeschooling is a private school.

They have been an utter disaster in one local school district.  Scores have fallen significantly and they just can't keep the kids on task.  There are to many ways for them to access outside internet or games/apps.  Our district just turned down a bond proposal to purchase them, but I'm sure they will eventually get it passed and they will be in the hands of every kid in the district.

They have been an utter disaster in one local school district.  Scores have fallen significantly and they just can't keep the kids on task.  There are to many ways for them to access outside internet or games/apps.  Our district just turned down a bond proposal to purchase them, but I'm sure they will eventually get it passed and they will be in the hands of every kid in the district.

Oh heck, I can't keep on task with my Kindle Fire.  Sometimes I consider just going back to using my Kindle Keyboard.

• Like 1

Is this a public high school?  Who pays for these ipads?

We do, of course. 

In our district, the ELEMENTARY kids are getting iPads now. My first piece of advice - if they offer insurance, buy it. I can't tell you how many of those kids broke their iPads within the first month. 

None of the parents like them. (That I've spoken to)

The only person I've heard praise them was a third grade teacher who had 40 kids in her class. She found it very helpful to assign them some math game or what not so she had time to work with an individual student or get something ready. She also said it was easier to communicate with parents through the iPads. 

Yeah, I have a mom friend who home and private schools her kids and she just looks at me like, "you would never make it," when I get wistful about sending mine off. This is one of those things. I'd be okay with the iPad, but I'd send them along with a backpack of books, too. I'm just too independent. 😔

It's honestly not all bad, though. I can say I've been amazed at what my dds have learned this year, technology wise, using them for school. They've each had to do several presentations and what they put together on the iPad is pretty awesome. They also both have enjoyed studying for the foreign language classes on them. I'm not sure what apps were put on them for that but one is in Spanish and one is in German and what they've had on the iPad has helped a lot. I've caught them studying for fun. 

In my area, the PS students purchase their own devices.  The district offers deals it gets through some sort of wholesaler but the students are not required to purchase through them.  Special arrangements are made for students from financially disadvantaged families though I don't know the details.

When my dd was in middle school, we rented the iPad and paid insurance - it worked out as she cracked the screen a couple of times.  For high school, we bought it.  A high-quality case from day one is critically important though accidents sometimes happen.

The Microsoft Surface 3s have been relatively durable so far, which is the reason I bought them instead of laptops (iPad would not have been sufficient for their requirements).  There have been some issues with charging - I think it's some flaw with the original driver and he may need to update it.

ETA, fwiw, my middle schoolers attend a STEM school that is very tech-heavy (e.g. 7th grade computer class includes HTML, Blender, Unreal Engine, how a motherboard is organized).  However, the school does not allow personal devices for elementary students - personal devices are introduced at the end of 5th grade but not fully required until middle school.  This is apart from the weekly tech class all schools in my area have for elementary students to become familiar with basic computer use.  While all middle schools here require devices, I only know of one elementary school that uses them (private).  My boys' school does not use them for elementary students for reasons including educational value and logistics of personal responsibility.

Edited by wapiti

I'm not sure if you will own and set up the iPad, but you can easily restrict with the passcode (different than unlock passcode): Internet, app use by age recommendation on app, app downloads, messaging, videos and music downloaded, lots of things. Also if you set up the apple password and keep your log on secret he can't download anything from your account. There are probably key loggers if you need higher level knowledge that can be discreetly installed to alert your email of what's going on.

My SIL works in the office of a middle school that give iPads to every student.  I was really surprised at the problems they have had.  I mean, they don't have a lot of problems actually, but the few problems that they do have surprised me.  One of the main problems is kids taking inappropriate pictures with their iPads.  They'll take a shot of a (woman) teacher or a girl bending over, for example.  But, they do not generally have problems with students going to inappropriate websites or spending more than than they should online.  They seem to be able to manage that well.

For kids who use it inappropriately (taking pictures), they have an iPad "jail" in the office.

Im in IN, one of very few states with book rental fees.  Last year I paid a gazillion- almost 300.  This year was less.  Anyway the iPad is like 80 per semester to rent.  We pay no extra for apps.  We do pay for consumable books and rented texts (history this year had a text).  Last year art was $$.

IPads can be great for special needs students.... Esp the more severly impaired and those with severe speech issues.

They can be terrible though for other students who use them for other not so positive activities

• Like 2

The district where I live provides iPads for each student. At the elementary level, the iPads are not taken home. iPad use is strictly monitored, and iPads are taken away when kids are discovered to have miss-used it. It is probably important to add that this is a very small district with 10-15 students per grade level, so there are not that many iPads to monitor.

The biggest problem here is when a student quits school and does not return the iPad.

The school we were zoned for has compulsory bring your own iPad from first year of school. I kid you not. Each family has to buy their 5 year old an iPad. And then a netbook for 3rd grade. Public school. The school uses 'apps across the curriculum.' The parents I met were not impressed.

Out school started this 2 years ago.

The good:

- Interactive features of textbooks, like watching cells divide (versus a series of still photos).

- Students can develop presentations on the iPad, then present them on the in-class Apple TV.

- In theory, lighter backpacks (I say in theory because with all the notebooks and binders required by the teachers, their packs still weigh a ton).

- Teachers can download things like notes to share drives that are accessible to all the kids - no misplacing paper in the backpack.

- Teachers can have kids access videos (my son's bio teacher will have them watch Crash Course Biology videos for homework sometimes).

The bad (a whole bunch):

- A distraction!!! It is far too easy for students who should be reading a textbook on the iPad to be doing something, anything else on it. Our IT person tries to block games and such, but the kids are way too clever. Heck, to make the thing useful they need a web browser, and as soon as you have any browser you can visit your favorite store websites, look up sports scores, and watch funny cat videos. I hate monitoring homework time.

- We have found that some textbooks load so slowly that they are almost unusable.

- I personally hate watching them write documents on the iPad with the small screen and key pad. We bought a separate keyboard for them to bluetooth into the iPad at home, or I have them use our desktop to work, then send the work over to the iPad.

- Interactive features don't work out of WiFi. Some teachers don't understand that kids might be using the device in the car, while camping, at a sports event, etc. and don't have full capability.

- They have found it sometimes harder to use e-textbooks. You are reading a page, want to flip a couple pages back to look at the referenced map, back to reading...it isn't the same as a real book.

- Reading literature books on the iPad isn't cozy. In the end, we buy hard copies of all their lit books.

- I love the mornings when someone shouts "I forgot to charge my iPad!"

Overall, we have not been happy with the experience.

• Like 3

In an ideal world.... ipads can be great tools.  However, if I could build a system using them it would work this way. 

• Parents can request additional apps on the ipad but they have to email the teacher who then will then add it to your child's ipad if it supports the child's IEP and is beneficial for the child.
  • Kids/Parents would not be able download apps themselves.  The ipad belongs to the school for schoolwork, not entertainment/babysitting.
  • Teacher's should have a way of adding an app to the whole class set in just a few clicks and then removing the app when they don't feel the class/child need access to it any longer. 
  • Safari is hidden so they can't just "surf" and somehow the cameras are shut off. 
  • Each child has a small list of "reward" apps, so when they get all their work done in class, the teacher's aid can click one reward app for the student to "play" on while the rest of the class finishes. 
  • This could also used on the bus to help keep the kids "quiet", they can only play it for 1 hour after school and it "disappears" again.
  • Like 1

Holy crap!  How does a poor family afford that for one kid, let alone multiples?!?!?  What do they do for the kids whose parents don't purchase the iPads?  Here, we have a huge percentage of parents who don't buy pencils, so iPads aren't happening for that crowd...

The school we were zoned for has compulsory bring your own iPad from first year of school. I kid you not. Each family has to buy their 5 year old an iPad. And then a netbook for 3rd grade. Public school. The school uses 'apps across the curriculum.' The parents I met were not impressed.

Holy crap! How does a poor family afford that for one kid, let alone multiples?!?!? What do they do for the kids whose parents don't purchase the iPads? Here, we have a huge percentage of parents who don't buy pencils, so iPads aren't happening for that crowd...

They apparently have some school ones to borrow, but most parents just suck it up. It's not even an affluent area, at all. We were already homeschooling when I found out about it but I was so glad that we were. I had parents from this school asking me all about homeschooling and at least one pulled out their kids to homeschool.

Holy crap!  How does a poor family afford that for one kid, let alone multiples?!?!?  What do they do for the kids whose parents don't purchase the iPads?  Here, we have a huge percentage of parents who don't buy pencils, so iPads aren't happening for that crowd...

Children here who qualify for free lunch have their book fees waived.  That would include iPad fees.  Additionally we have a low cost internet service provider for the kids who qualify.  Unfortunately its only for people who do not owe comcast already.  So if you owe then a couple hundred bucks (easily could happen to a single mom or dad!) you cant get low cost internet (Its $10 per month).

Really I dont believe they are a distraction to these kids.  They are digital natives.  This is their world, just as doodling and staring out the window and passing notes were ours.  Our iPads are restricted- no messenger for example.