Menu

I might be totally crazy (Yellowstone trip)

MeaganS

This summer I am taking an epic trip, with my 4 girls, by myself. We will be going to a family reunion in Utah (a 3-day drive one way). After spending several days in Utah visiting family and seeing the sites, I am taking them to Yellowstone and we are camping for at least 4 days (more if I feel it and can get one of the non-reserved camping spots). 

Now, I have done lots of trips with the girls by myself. Last month, we did a 2 day road trip to visit my family. Dh has to work and can often not come with us on our adventures. So I'm not too nervous about the traveling part. I am a bit nervous over the camping part. We have only gone camping as a family once and never by myself or with a 6 month old. I plan on being fairly minimalist when it comes to camping. It is a means to an end, not an experience for camping's sake.  Hotels in Yellowstone are out of my budget but we can totally do $10 a night for a camping site (dd has an access pass, so we get half off). We won't be doing fires, huge set-ups, etc. Most of our food will be simple with minimal cooking. My main concern is warmth. It will be early June and I hear it can still be quite cold at night.

So any tips? Both for camping on the minimalist side and with small children, trying to stay warm? We have a giant tent (which I'm avoiding) and a 5-person tent, which should be on the snug side. Good for warmth, right? Also any tips for Yellowstone? We will be doing the Junior Ranger program and seeing the major sites. I went once for 1.5 days 5 years ago, so I'm minimally familiar with it. What are your favorite 3-4 mile hikes? We are interested in "active nature" like waterfalls, geysers, etc. on those hikes. Nothing more than moderately difficult, as I will have a baby strapped to me and my kiddos. 

find out when the sun hits the lower falls - you get a rainbow when it's at the correct angle.

early morning for the wildlife in the lamar valley.

bathing suits for the firehole river.   there are swimming holes at various spots.

We were there in early June 1 year and there was snow in parts of it.  Do you have good cold weather sleeping bags, I would also advise using hand warmers for you hands and feet inside gloves and socks.  Also the rustic cabins are less expensive than anything in Jackson Hole you might try to see if they have any available.

For wamth, layering your clothes plus excellent sleeping bags and wool blankets. Sometimes you can get army blankets at military surplus stores. Good hiking boots with woool socks will keep your feet comfy, and sleeping with those socks plus a hat because you lose a lot of heat through the head will insulate you. Pitch a tarp over your tent to keep snow and rain off the roof. Pocket warmers tossed into sleeping bags is a nice touch and if at all possible get a sunny site, no shade over the tent so it warms up nicely during the day.

You are a brave woman!  Your oldest is 7? 

I would say keep in mind Yellowstone is HUGE.  It can take hours to get around there, especially when crowds are high and people are blocking the road for every buffalo and deer.  Do you know where you'll be camping?  You may want to consider budget to do some of your eating in the restaurants in the park.  That might be a nice way to give yourself a break mid day and then you could do simple breakfasts and dinners in camp. 

Bring lots of layers.  MAke sure you have good camping matresses - those make a huge difference.  Although if you have to buy a ton of gear, I might look back at hotel prices.  ;)  Make sure you have winter stuff like hats, mittens, buff/scarves.  Maybe more for your littles.  We were there in early June.  Days were warmish, but nights were COLD.

Junior ranger is very worthwhile - we love those programs and I'm sad my kids are aging out. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

Yeah, we'll be camping at the Bridge Bay and Madison, each two nights. And yeah, my oldest is 7. I might have a single friend who will come camping with us. That would help a lot, but we'll see.

I don't have a fancy camping mattress but we have a 4 inch thick memory foam mattress topper we are getting rid of and I was thinking of using for that purpose (I could even cut it just right to fit the whole floor of the tent). If we bring tons of blankets and cuddle, do we really need to have fancy sleeping bags? I do plan on having us all wear knit caps and warm pj's and socks. I'll also be buying some of those handwarmer things.

The last time I was there I was 14, so take this with a grain of salt, and I'm sure there will be lots of reminders from Yellowstone, but: watch out for bears and put your food, all of it, even things you think are unattractive to bears, safely away. My aunt and uncle had a bear ransack their car for a piece of gum.

• Like 2

Have you done cold weather camping before?  The average low in June is 41 and the earlier you are in June, the lower it's likely to be.   Do you possibly know someone you could borrow gear from?  One of our local colleges rents camping gear for not too much - something like that?  The good sleeping bags and sleep mattresses make SO much difference in that weather.  When the low is 55/60+, it really doesn't matter nearly as much what your gear is like.

Could you just go set up your tent outside some night and try and sleep when it's going to be 35-45 to see what that's going to feel like with the gear you have, try out your mattress, and adjust from there?  We've camped down to about 30 and it's a much different game when it gets that cool at night.  Your days should be nice, but if you're cold all night that gets LONG. 

• Like 6

The last time I was there I was 14, so take this with a grain of salt, and I'm sure there will be lots of reminders from Yellowstone, but: watch out for bears and put your food, all of it, even things you think are unattractive to bears, safely away. My aunt and uncle had a bear ransack their car for a piece of gum.

Shortly after they were married, my mom and dad went camping. They thought they had put all the food away safely, but quickly discovered how wrong they were when a bear joined them in their tent looking for said food. Food stored in the tent isn't food safely stored! Our family never went camping because of that experience. :)

I would consider taking the bigger tent (but exactly how huge is it?), because if it rains, you might want a place to hang out, and in a bigger tent, you can put some chairs and a small table. Sitting on the floor can get old. Ymmv.

Remember to keep shoes off in the tent to keep the dirt at bay. I like to keep a container for this by the door, but remember to check it for critters before you reach in to get your shoes.

You will stay far warmer and have more space if you use sleeping bags.

Yellowstone is AMAZING. I hope you have a blast!

I loved the little hot pools around Old Faithful. THe colors are incredibly beautiful.

Bears. Grizzly bears. Hungry grizzly bears.  I would not camp there with little kids.  I am a scaried  cat.  Saw a grizzly with two cubs when we were there (early June)...and heard that a runner got mauled one morning by a bear that suddenly was there on the paved road. 

Local here :) Kinsa is right, it can get in the 20's at night and snow in June, so have some cold weather clothes with you. It's getting warm a little early here this year, in the 60's already all week, but then this morning, it was 40 and snowing when I went to class. I was there in August and even then, it was in the 30's at night. We slept in sweat pants, wool socks, long sleeved shirts and low temp sleeping bags. You mentioned not wanting fires, but if you are up at night, and first thing in the morning, you will really appreciate them adn they sell small bundles of wood in teh campgrounds. Keep the food locked in the car at all times unless you're actively putting together a meal..not even little snacks in the tent. 

You asked about hikes. The long route around Norris Basin is a little over 2 miles, mostly flat, and the landscape there is pretty amazing. Parts of it look like they could've been a Star Trek set :) Take plenty of water with you wherever you go though, as the heat is really dry and will get to you before you really feel it. Have a great trip! We've done Yellowstone when ours were younger  and had a blast!

ETA: Take sunscreen!

Edited by Peach
  • Like 5

For more than 1 or 2 nights, I would go with the bigger tent.

Best ways to stay warm are to zip bags together, or put a layer down and use blankets/unzipped bags on top. Huddle together for warmth.

A camp potty for early morning is helpful. Footie pj's for anyone in diapers, and warm fleece or flannel for the others (stripping out of footies to pee is not comfy! Nor is dragging them in dubiously clean facilities then putting them back on) Clean undies and socks at bedtime so those don't have to be changed in the morning when it's cold.

A camp stove with hot drinks evening and morning. No fire is one thing, no hot cocoa is another!

Edited by Ravin
  • Like 3

If you have room in the car, I'd bring a big down comforter.  They can pack up fairly small, aren't too heavy, and you can throw it over all the sleeping bags at once.  It will add a lot of warmth.  Plan to sleep in socks, sweatpants, a long sleeved shirt, and maybe even a beanie hat.  That should keep you plenty warm!   If you can make a fire and have a pot to heat milk or water, I agree that hot chocolate is a fun plus, evening and morning.  :)

We went to Yellowstone in October one year, and it was cool but beautiful.  We didn't camp.  Not all of the park was open in October, and it might not be in early June either.  We found the trails by Old Faithful very doable for our family (1-8 years old at the time).  We also hung out in the Mammoth Hot Springs area which was very neat and had some fun little trails.

We loved being in Yellowstone when it wasn't quite so busy, which I imagine is how it will be in early June.

I think it sounds wonderful!  Do it as simply as possible.  

Oh, for our tent we had a battery-operated lantern.  It was perfect.

• Like 2

We camped there the last part of August and it frosted most nights at Canyon where we were. I put a blanket down on the floor of the tent, then used our closed cell foam pads, then our sleeping bags, and then a huge down comforter. I packed the comforter in a compression sack to get it there and then fluffed it. We were toasty but needed all of that. I generally don't like to see my breath in my tent, but it was worth it for Yellowstone!

Maybe it goes without saying, but make sure your tent doesn't leak at all. Getting anything wet when it is that cold would be miserable.

• Like 1

This summer I am taking an epic trip, with my 4 girls, by myself. We will be going to a family reunion in Utah (a 3-day drive one way). After spending several days in Utah visiting family and seeing the sites, I am taking them to Yellowstone and we are camping for at least 4 days (more if I feel it and can get one of the non-reserved camping spots). 

Now, I have done lots of trips with the girls by myself. Last month, we did a 2 day road trip to visit my family. Dh has to work and can often not come with us on our adventures. So I'm not too nervous about the traveling part. I am a bit nervous over the camping part. We have only gone camping as a family once and never by myself or with a 6 month old. I plan on being fairly minimalist when it comes to camping. It is a means to an end, not an experience for camping's sake.  Hotels in Yellowstone are out of my budget but we can totally do $10 a night for a camping site (dd has an access pass, so we get half off). We won't be doing fires, huge set-ups, etc. Most of our food will be simple with minimal cooking. My main concern is warmth. It will be early June and I hear it can still be quite cold at night.

So any tips? Both for camping on the minimalist side and with small children, trying to stay warm? We have a giant tent (which I'm avoiding) and a 5-person tent, which should be on the snug side. Good for warmth, right? Also any tips for Yellowstone? We will be doing the Junior Ranger program and seeing the major sites. I went once for 1.5 days 5 years ago, so I'm minimally familiar with it. What are your favorite 3-4 mile hikes? We are interested in "active nature" like waterfalls, geysers, etc. on those hikes. Nothing more than moderately difficult, as I will have a baby strapped to me and my kiddos. 

I'm looking at the bolded part.  Do you have experience pitching your tent alone, or with only the help of your young children?

It's doable.  I've pitched our tent with only the help of our then four year old, but by then we'd already used that tent many times, and DH and I had it down to a routine.

If you haven't already, you might want to practice and assign each child a task and make sure each knows what to do.

The boys who went on Klondike with DS's scout troop were instructed to change their socks right before bed so that they were absolutely dry.  They all brought hand warmers and extra blankets to put in their sleeping bags, and the leaders brought even more blankets to pile on top.

• Like 2

Another thing that will be indispensable is a back-carry infant child carrier. I favor Asian-style baby carriers, but a wrap or ergo is good, too. The important thing is to have baby safely on your back, out of the way, while you set up camp. It's also a lot easier to hike with than any kind of stroller!

I'm looking at the bolded part.  Do you have experience pitching your tent alone, or with only the help of your young children?

Maybe you could practice pitching the tent in your backyard before you go.  You could even camp out in it a night.  :)

• Like 3

I do have a lot of practice camping. Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. While I haven't camped with my children, we camped a lot growing up. I was the oldest of 6 kids and was often my mother's helper and feel very competent when it comes to actually setting up. And my 5 year old is very helpful.

We plan on spending minimal time at the camp. We will be gone all day. The camp will be mostly for sleeping.

• Like 2

Another thing that will be indispensable is a back-carry infant child carrier. I favor Asian-style baby carriers, but a wrap or ergo is good, too. The important thing is to have baby safely on your back, out of the way, while you set up camp. It's also a lot easier to hike with than any kind of stroller!

Oh, I totally agree. I have a Lillebaby carrier (like Ergo) that I use when we go hiking regularly. I have a nice umbrella stroller that I can use for times when I need a free body and have a flat surface that I plan on bringing as well.

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 1

I wouldn't want to camp in below freezing without decent sleeping bags. We've done Scout camp outs for years now and have had some get down in the 30s-40s and the people who just bring piles of covers end up freezing. I do walks/hiking w/ my 4 kids by myself all time(nearly daily). I'd be ok camping by myself but the thought of doing that all w/ a huge drive w/ 4 young kids for several days sounds rather exhausting but maybe you get more sleep(and don't have health issues!).

• Like 1

We got our sleeping bags at one of the discount sites- they are rated good for temp but thick. Getting them thin and rated for cold temps drives up the cost considerably. When I've camped with little ones I've had them sleep in my sleeping bag for warmth and nursing. 

I would say as far as size- I generally like smaller tents too last time we did a girl's camp out I just used the little tent for the girls and I, that was fine BUT that leaves little room for gear and if it is cold it is a PITA to have to go to the car in the am to get stuff you need- like clothes bags and such. We have a camping trip in a couple of weeks for the girls and I'm undecided about which tent we'll use this time. I like doing easy food too but then again I get really tired of not eating really food and my body revolts. I need to look up the details on the food storage where we are going b/c we've not stayed anywhere w/ bears before but I'm hoping to pre-make meals this time and just heat them over the propane stove so we can have warm meals w/ minimal effort. We have a 2 wk vacation this summer in late May/early June and I'm trying to plan it all now- we'll be camping half and staying in a hotel the other half. We did the same last year visiting various national parks- I'm generally a minimalist by nature- we just use sleeping bags, no air matresses and generally I don't bother with a pad either- having more gear is a pain for hauling but when there is something you need it is sure nice to have. 

Do you already do regular walks/hikes with the kids? As I said we go out nearly daily and have hiked a lot over the years but 3-4mi is optimistic for 1 adult and those ages. My 3 yo can walk decently but depending on her mood(tiredness, hungry, random stuff) may or may not make it that far. She can do a couple of miles fairly regularly but it isn't guaranteed and their legs are short so it takes a good while. We did a 6 miler in Feb over fairly rough terrain, 3yo did about 2 mi, 6yo was carried for just a few minutes here and there and my 11 and 8 yo had no difficulty. A couple of weeks ago we did a 5 miler me and the kids by myself. I pushed the 3yo most of the time for that one as she was tired and then ended up caring my 6yo a few bits. I have carried 2 kids by myself- one on my back and one on my front- but it is much easier to have another adult- especially if you are doing this several days in a row. We've always been fairly regular walkers but in Dec we started going out daily and I've seen a great increase in stamina, interest and speed but we can still take 30 min for a mile sometimes.

Edited by soror

I think the memory foam pad cut to fit the tent sounds perfect, but definitely make sure your tent doesn't leak first. If you get moisture in the tent that memory foam pad will soak it up and you'll be miserable. 

As for sleeping bags, when we camp I've found that taking along several down comforters (they pack down very nicely!) is easier than individual sleeping bags, and we can all cuddle together for warmth. It also helps to sleep in long underwear, fleece pants, a warm hat, etc. 

As for tents, if it's just going to be you, I'd try the smaller tent. Your kids are young and don't take up much space, and you may find that you're unable to set up the larger tent on your own. 

Since it sounds like you haven't camped much, my other suggestion would be to have a few practice nights somewhere close to home- maybe a nearby state park or even your back yard? That way you can make sure your sleeping set-up will work for you, that you can get your tent set up and torn without another adult to help, it will give you a better idea of whether or not you'll need to pick up any additional equipment/gear, etc. 

We were in Yellowstone a couple of years ago, and at that point, they didn't have bear boxes in all the sites yet. I'm not sure if they do now, but if your site doesn't have a box, you have to schlep everything even a little bit associated with food back into your car every time you are absent from your campsite. That includes stoves, dish towels, soap, everything. It's a pain, but if you leave anything out, you can get a hefty fine and they do patrol frequently. Other campers are encouraged to rat you out too! The bear boxes are usually pretty close to the picnic table, so that makes things easier, but you'll still have to put everything in there, even if you are going to the bathroom.

When we were there, my brother had a truck camper that raised up some just to make the top higher. There was canvas where it came up, but it was a good seven feet or so off the ground where it started. The ranger told him he would still have to lower it every time he left the campsite. They are very, very picky about that, but I'm glad because it means fewer bears have to be killed.

A good friend of mine worked there. This is the best advice.

We did a cross-country driving and camping trip with a one year-old and the 3 older dc years ago. I found it helpful to have places to strap the toddler/baby safely so the other kids could take him for walks around the campsite while I was cooking or setting up the tent. We had an umbrella stroller for this, and used it A LOT. We had a portable high chair I strapped to the picnic table on the campsite, and this was great, too. The little one is going to get heavy for you to carry 100% of the time.

I'd avoid any swimming as you won't be able to watch all 4 dc. Save that for when they are all older. 

Well, we love to camp - and I am usually one for saying you can do this!!!  But...personally I would not go camping without another adult with kids your ages. :(   Just for the fact that I usually watch the kids/keep them from going into streets, take them potty, etc. while my husband does all the "work" of cooking, cleaning dishes, setting up and tearing down camp, etc.  

If you DO, you need a solid plan for cooking/cleaning- b/c it just takes longer when you are camping!  Paper goods/silverware, easy canned meals, Baby on back, pack n play, high chair, whatever... maybe keep kids strapped in carseats while you set up camp, etc.  

You can do it!  It just sounds exhausting!  But a great experience!

**you also want to keep toiletries, perfumes, even diapers/wipes if they are scented in the bear box...

Are you rustic camping? Are there potties or electricity? 

My advice... your kids are so young. Is this a once in a lifetime event for you? Because if you could do it in three years, you will have a much better time! I did lots of stuff when my kids were little, but camping with a baby was just plain hard. It was amazing how different and fun it became once we were past the diapers. 

We started camping with our kids when I was expecting our youngest, including doing Yellowstone when the kids were pretty young (almost three years ago...youngest was not yet two). I think it is very doable, but I would definitely test out your cold weather set-up if possible ahead of time. Camping with lows below freezing would be miserable if you aren't warm enough. We were super happy that we had invested in 0 degree rated sleeping bags with lows in the 20s when we were there!

I would also double check to make sure you can do your tent set up alone if you haven't done so in past years. We have a very tall (cabin style) tent, and I discovered last summer that it is really tough for me to set up alone because I am so short, and I can't really reach certain parts of the tent at it's full height (my DH was joining us later in the evening, but luckily we also had friends camping at the same campground who could help me out with the height issue...LOL!)

We did a cross-country driving and camping trip with a one year-old and the 3 older dc years ago. I found it helpful to have places to strap the toddler/baby safely so the other kids could take him for walks around the campsite while I was cooking or setting up the tent. We had an umbrella stroller for this, and used it A LOT. We had a portable high chair I strapped to the picnic table on the campsite, and this was great, too. The little one is going to get heavy for you to carry 100% of the time.

I'd avoid any swimming as you won't be able to watch all 4 dc. Save that for when they are all older. 

We have a portable high chair (that's the only kind we use) and that is a great idea to bring it. I hadn't thought of that. 

Are you rustic camping? Are there potties or electricity? 

My advice... your kids are so young. Is this a once in a lifetime event for you? Because if you could do it in three years, you will have a much better time! I did lots of stuff when my kids were little, but camping with a baby was just plain hard. It was amazing how different and fun it became once we were past the diapers. 

There are toilets and we will be camping next to our car. Heck, I've even considered just folding the seats of the van down and putting all our gear in the tent while we sleep in the back of the van, but that sounds less than ideal, although if it is going to pour rain, I might consider it.

Do you already do regular walks/hikes with the kids? As I said we go out nearly daily and have hiked a lot over the years but 3-4mi is optimistic for 1 adult and those ages. My 3 yo can walk decently but depending on her mood(tiredness, hungry, random stuff) may or may not make it that far. She can do a couple of miles fairly regularly but it isn't guaranteed and their legs are short so it takes a good while. We did a 6 miler in Feb over fairly rough terrain, 3yo did about 2 mi, 6yo was carried for just a few minutes here and there and my 11 and 8 yo had no difficulty. A couple of weeks ago we did a 5 miler me and the kids by myself. I pushed the 3yo most of the time for that one as she was tired and then ended up caring my 6yo a few bits. I have carried 2 kids by myself- one on my back and one on my front- but it is much easier to have another adult- especially if you are doing this several days in a row. We've always been fairly regular walkers but in Dec we started going out daily and I've seen a great increase in stamina, interest and speed but we can still take 30 min for a mile sometimes.

We do hike a few times a week and I plan on keeping it up just for this reason. We can usually go 2 or 3 miles before the almost 4 year old starts complaining. And especially if we stop frequently to look at things, They are totally up for it. Our zoo is 5.5 miles to do all the trails and we can usually do that in a day without any issue.

We started camping with our kids when I was expecting our youngest, including doing Yellowstone when the kids were pretty young (almost three years ago...youngest was not yet two). I think it is very doable, but I would definitely test out your cold weather set-up if possible ahead of time. Camping with lows below freezing would be miserable if you aren't warm enough. We were super happy that we had invested in 0 degree rated sleeping bags with lows in the 20s when we were there!

I would also double check to make sure you can do your tent set up alone if you haven't done so in past years. We have a very tall (cabin style) tent, and I discovered last summer that it is really tough for me to set up alone because I am so short, and I can't really reach certain parts of the tent at it's full height (my DH was joining us later in the evening, but luckily we also had friends camping at the same campground who could help me out with the height issue...LOL!)

I think I will set it up and test it out this week. It is supposed to get down into the thirties here this week, so it should be a good chance to see how warm I can get it. Our tent is a simple dome tent and I set it up alone before, but testing it out would still be a good idea. 

I just found out that my friend will be able to come for two nights. So I will have adult help in the middle of the trip. That will be nice. :)

Yellowstone at any time of year can be quite cold at night.

I'd just make sure you all have ground pads (foam or air) as well as 20 degree bags or warmer. And, clean sets of good long johns, fuzzy socks, and snuggly hats for sleeping in. 

So long as everyone has all those things, you should be OK. However, if your baby is really under 1, then you will likely need extra warmsies for her. If I were camping somewhere cool with that small a baby, I'd have likely had a double sleeping bag for me and the baby (two zipped together). And, since that's less warm than a single bag, I'd have made sure I also had a couple nice fleece blankies to snuggle/wrap up the two of us with, in addition to SUPER warm sleep clothes for the baby. (Double layers of high quality long johns, etc. )

Clean socks each night for bed make a huge difference. I found sleeping in fleece blankets under and over you cuts down on dampness. Even with that, in a pop up camper off the ground, cuddling with my husband, with jackets and a hat, I was still so cold that I shook so much with the chills in the middle of the night. My back went into spasms and I couldn't stop chattering my teeth. Eventually, though I stopped shaking. We loved Mammoth Hot Springs area of Yellow Stone. Not as crowded and also warmer there. There is a hot spring river there that we went into. We took a drive to Chico Hot Springs and swam in the hot spring pool and took showers on our way home from camping. That was heaven and about $7 a person. It was lovely.