Menu

If I like Downton Abbey, I might also like...?? (recommendations needed!)

TrixieB

One of my relatives (in the "senior citizen" age bracket) got a DVD player for Christmas, and during the following two weeks watched and LOVED the first five seasons of Downton Abbey. 

She will be having major surgery in a couple of weeks.  I am trying to stock up on DVDs for the recovery period.  We have a good library system so I'm hoping I'll be able to borrow much of what you suggest.

I know she doesn't like sci-fi, superhero, or cartoons.

She loves to read mysteries, especially series (J.A. Jance, Janet Evanovich, etc.) so I think she might enjoy watching mysteries too.  And she likes to watch dramas.

Ideas for movies and TV series?

Midsomer Murders. It is s British TV series set in the fictional county of Midsomer, not a period piece, but today. It is filmed around Oxfordshire. Although there are modern buildings in the area, you would never know it from this series, which is all thatched cottages and half timbered buildings. The series started in 1997 and is still going strong I think. It is well written, well acted, beautiful scenery too.

• Like 3

Land girls.

Any Miss Marple

Lord Peter Wimsey

Call the Midwife.

All Creatures Great and Small?

Just brainstorming. I'm from England :001_smile:

I love all these too. Adding:

Poirot

Monarch of the Glen

Upstairs Down Stairs

Forsythe Saga (the original 1960s one)

the last two are similar to Downton in that they follow a well off family and the people who work in their house.

In Monarch, big house, but family is broke.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

Am I the only one that didn't like Mr. Selfridge? I just couldn't get into it. But Doc Martin is a favorite, and I adore Call the Midwife. (I'm a Downton Addict)

I can't stand Jeremy Piven. I watched the first couple of episodes to see if I might like the show despite him, but I just couldn't do it. 

• Like 1

Before there was Downton Abbey, there was Upstairs, Downstairs (1970's version). I love, love, love Upstairs, Downstairs.

:iagree:  Fabulous show! I lost interest in Downton Abbey after the first season, but I've never gotten tired of watching Upstairs, Downstairs.

Lots of great suggestions in this thread (that I have to check out or re-watch!). A few more:

Grantchester -- crime-solving vicar in Cambridge. Based on the mysteries (still being written) by James Runcie, whose father was Archbishop of Canterbury. Only one season is out, but they are filming the next one. 

Gosford Park (movie)

Bleak House 

• Like 1

Ooohhh!!! Has no one recommended Inspector Morse yet?!?! Love this show and the books are good, too. In the same vein is Inspector Lewis (set some years after Morse and featuring Morse's partner now an Inspector) and Endeavour (about a young Morse just starting out in the 60s).

And, no offense to Cumberbatch fans (and I do like him) but, in my mind, Jeremy Brett will *always* be Sherlock Holmes. I heartily recommend this version of Sherlock Holmes.

I second Cadfael starring Sir Derek Jacobi. Also, love the books.

• Like 3

Thanks, everybody!

I now have a HUGE list and will start searching the library's DVD collection.

Unfortunately my relative doesn't have cable or internet -- if she did, that would open up the world of Netflix.  She can't get PBS so will have to wait a bit to watch the final season of DA.

Thanks, everybody!

I now have a HUGE list and will start searching the library's DVD collection.

Unfortunately my relative doesn't have cable or internet -- if she did, that would open up the world of Netflix.  She can't get PBS so will have to wait a bit to watch the final season of DA.

Same here (no cable or internet Netflix - just DVDs) -- I found Grantchester while browsing at the library, as well as Mr Selfridge (which I only watched a few episodes of -- I thought it would focus more on his innovations in retail, instead of soap-opera stuff ...). The library also has the Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, and Inspector Lynley series, which we are starting to explore now that we have an empty nest :) ... and also lots of Agatha Christie, Upstairs, Downstairs, Downton Abbey, Doc Martin, etc. and most of the other BBC/PBS series recommended above.

• Like 1

The Forsyte Saga --

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/forsyte/

This was really good, and another Masterpiece show from the past.

****A must watch just for the performance of the character played by Damian Lewis.***

Amazing actor.

Great cast of characters

Takes place over many years.

Fab.

QFT

("Quoted for truth", thanks Scarlett)

The Forsyte Saga --

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/forsyte/

This was really good, and another Masterpiece show from the past.

****A must watch just for the performance of the character played by Damian Lewis.***

Amazing actor.

Great cast of characters

Takes place over many years.

Fab.

I was pretty disappointed when it left Netflix streaming not long after I started watching.

I was pretty disappointed when it left Netflix streaming not long after I started watching.

Oh you are right, what a bummer.

I don't see it on Amazon stream either.

My library carries the DVD set. But pretty sure I used Netflix. . . 

Don't let that stop you folks, this one's a keeper. :)